ADVERTISEMENT

Jordans legacy and what he will be remembered for

higgins3

All American
Dec 15, 2012
Lots of talk going around about Jordan being let go in a couple weeks. If this is it time, I think it is interesting how to remember this guy. To me, if I was to think of what Jordan did here at Rutgers, it would be his ability to take a team in a bad spot and secure some players for the future. I was not impressed with the team from a fundamental level, but I will remember him for keeping a program together at the start of his tenure, and ending it that way.

Yesterday I was amazed at the attitude of the team. After an 0-16 season, I thought this was amazing. Students looked like they were still having fun, and that leaves me hopeful for next year.

A core of Sanders, Williams, Johnson,Laurent and Freeman is something I can be excited about. After looking at the body language, I think a majority of the players hang around. If not though, if players leave, at least if we bring in a right coach that will be the most important piece.A fundamentally sound coach with a couple seasons of winning records. Sanders is close with Jordan, sure, but I still do not think he leaves. If he does, so be it. This program needs to get on the tracks, and has to start running northbound again. A great head coach will do that.

It was good to see how we handled ourselves yesterday. Standing ovation for the team, a class act of a fan base. Also, great to see Lewis and Daniels applauded out. Both have done great jobs in their own regard, and I hope they have successful futures, basketball related or not. I wish them nothing but the best.

A good win to go out on. If you go, thank you Jordan for what you have done. It is important these players grow as much as people as they do athletes. Jordan did that. Going forward, I hope to see more wins and a fundamentally sound coach. I just hope to see a loud RAC, with some team basketball being played in it.

The spaceship is ready for liftoff!

For me he'll be remembered as the guy who led Rutgers to a three-year record of 29-67, going from 12 wins his first year, to ten wins his second year, to seven wins his final year, having arguably the worst D1A team anyone has ever seen...and STILL had fans posting here that he should be given more time.
Unbelievable.
Has any coach, anywhere ever had that type of progressively more pathetic record and been given a fourth year ?

For me he'll be remembered as the guy who led Rutgers to a three-year record of 29-67, going from 12 wins his first year, to ten wins his second year, to seven wins his final year, having arguably the worst D1A team anyone has ever seen...and STILL had fans posting here that he should be given more time.
Unbelievable.
Has any coach, anywhere ever had that type of progressively more pathetic record and been given a fourth year ?

You're not wrong...but that's just harsh

I won't think of the guy fondly as a coach...but he will always bleed Scarlet and we should still show him respect.

Will always remember him as Fast Eddie on that great 1976 team; for the classy way he represents Rutgers, and for many good moments during his NBA playing career. All I will remember of his coaching career at RU was that he may not have been a good coach but was always a role model for the players.
TL

I will never forget EJ and that great '76/'76 team. I will remember him bringing some calm to the program after Rice. I will however, try to forget his last three years as our coach. I wish him well, but it's time to move on.

Reactions: higgins3
EJ's three years were worse than Littlepage's three years. Though not by much. Littlepage will be remembered as the worst coach. Jordan will be remembered as Fast Eddie on the Final Four team. As it should be.

Eddie did this program and college proud as a player. As a coach the best comparison I could make is to Obama - Came into a bad situation with high hopes and just never really delivered. Let us also be honest about the situation we are in - it's going to take someone special to come in and turn this ship around. I don't think it's a Schiano-like change that needs to happen, but at this point it's certainly up there.

Reactions: superfan01
Remember the joke we were when Jordan took over ? He helped restore a positive image , now we are only a joke on the court and not off it .
It was a tough spot for anyone to be in , especially someone who never ran a college program. He did the best he could and got some talent here that hopefully sticks around for the next coach .

I believe EJ did take over the team when nobody else would for anything within our budget plus an iron-clad commitment on the facilities upgrades. As much as I wanted Howland, I doubt he seriously considered the job without guarantees on the facilities. I thank and give Eddie credit for that, and he does bleed scarlet. Eddie unfortunately mismanaged some key personnel like Seagears and Etou, and he and/or his staff didn't seem to be able to maximize Jack's talent. EJ's team his first year should definitely have done better, and Jack and Etou never seemed to be on the same page with EJ last season. I could have written off this season's disaster if EJ had made more strides with the team he did take over in his first 2 years.

A new coach that emphasizes and teaches fundamentals can certainly improve the team's performance with this roster returning --Sanders of course being the key piece. And I think Sanders does stay if we bring in the right coach. I'm not sold though on the bigs that can come back being what we need inside on all fronts re: scoring, defending and rebounding. Freeman of course looks to be a scoring threat but defenses will just collapse on him inside if there isn't another scoring option in the paint. Hopefully a new coach can land a quality JUCO or 5th yr grad transfer that can help in the post.

Eddie is an RU legend, was a great player here, and carries himself with class. He'll always be remembered for that.

It would be nice if there were some way his coaching tenure could be remembered fondly. But it won't be. As much as most of us would want it to be and can now struggle to think of the good things, it just won't be.

Reactions: RU_DIO
A bit premature - he's still our head coach and deserves our respect. I for one will be sorry if it doesn't work out and he is dismissed after the season. He accepted a monumental task and put his reputation at risk for his former school. It's really disappointing that he was unable to recruit better talent to the banks. It was almost as if he was jinxed from the start. For example he recruited the best shooter in NYC who comes to RU and suddenly can't hit a brick wall until Saturday when everything he throws up from long range goes swish. Eddie sure could have used that type of performance over the last 2 seasons. And then there was Daniels who likely set a record for most missed lay ups in a Rutgers career. I'm really torn on Eddie as I don't think its fair that he may be used as a scapegoat for the abysmal performance of MBB over the last 25 years.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Remember the joke we were when Jordan took over ? He helped restore a positive image , now we are only a joke on the court and not off it .
It was a tough spot for anyone to be in , especially someone who never ran a college program. He did the best he could and got some talent here that hopefully sticks around for the next coach .

Nice to see a generally classy post from you. I think you stated it well - and without the venom others seem prone to.

I believe EJ did take over the team when nobody else would for anything within our budget.......

See....there's the problem. Cheap-ass Rutgers.
Rutgers has stunk in men's basketball for so long because of the limited interest in the success of the program amongst the powers that be. That doesn't excuse Eddie's abject failure to produce a competitive basketball team in three years....but it does put it into context. Sure Rutgers would like to win. But winning is way, way down on the list of priorities in New Brunswick...certainly in men's basketball.

Reactions: bac2therac
Eddie will be viewed differently depending on the age group who is remembering him:

50 and over will remember him as an RU legend
35-49 will remember him as a key player who took RU to the final four and not a very good coach
15-34 will remember him as the worst coach in school history
14 and under will remember him for helping them become Duke, UNC and Kentucky Fans!

Reactions: BLewis1968
I believe EJ did take over the team when nobody else would for anything within our budget plus an iron-clad commitment on the facilities upgrades. As much as I wanted Howland, I doubt he seriously considered the job without guarantees on the facilities. I thank and give Eddie credit for that, and he does bleed scarlet. Eddie unfortunately mismanaged some key personnel like Seagears and Etou, and he and/or his staff didn't seem to be able to maximize Jack's talent. EJ's team his first year should definitely have done better, and Jack and Etou never seemed to be on the same page with EJ last season. I could have written off this season's disaster if EJ had made more strides with the team he did take over in his first 2 years.

A new coach that emphasizes and teaches fundamentals can certainly improve the team's performance with this roster returning --Sanders of course being the key piece. And I think Sanders does stay if we bring in the right coach. I'm not sold though on the bigs that can come back being what we need inside on all fronts re: scoring, defending and rebounding. Freeman of course looks to be a scoring threat but defenses will just collapse on him inside if there isn't another scoring option in the paint. Hopefully a new coach can land a quality JUCO or 5th yr grad transfer that can help in the post.
When KJack was inside defenders collapsed on him all the time last season as we couldn't find a 2nd option. Etou should've been that 2nd option.

Eddie did this program and college proud as a player. As a coach the best comparison I could make is to Obama - Came into a bad situation with high hopes and just never really delivered. Let us also be honest about the situation we are in - it's going to take someone special to come in and turn this ship around. I don't think it's a Schiano-like change that needs to happen, but at this point it's certainly up there.

It is a shiano like change. We need to start winning. At least having a .500 record. The program is in need of a massive change. It does not have to take long,though. We just need the right person. Similar to an Ash type of coach.

A bit premature - he's still our head coach and deserves our respect. I for one will be sorry if it doesn't work out and he is dismissed after the season. He accepted a monumental task and put his reputation at risk for his former school. It's really disappointing that he was unable to recruit better talent to the banks. It was almost as if he was jinxed from the start. For example he recruited the best shooter in NYC who comes to RU and suddenly can't hit a brick wall until Saturday when everything he throws up from long range goes swish. Eddie sure could have used that type of performance over the last 2 seasons. And then there was Daniels who likely set a record for most missed lay ups in a Rutgers career. I'm really torn on Eddie as I don't think its fair that he may be used as a scapegoat for the abysmal performance of MBB over the last 25 years.

Results driven business.

I hope he is remembered the same way as dick Lloyd was as a coach, as the guy who coached two star freshman that as senior led their team to the final four

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Eddie will be viewed differently depending on the age group who is remembering him:

35-49 will remember him as a key player who took RU to the final four and not a very good coach
14 and under will remember him for helping them become Duke, UNC and Kentucky Fans!
I am over 65 and I will remember Eddie Jordan as perhaps the best point guard in RU history, leader of the 1976 final 4 team AND the worst men's basketball coach Rutgers has had since I entered RU as an undergraduate.

I am not so sure that anyone under 35 even pays attention to Rutgers basketball

I am not so sure that anyone under 35 even pays attention to Rutgers basketball

I'll remember him as the coach who recruited 1 stud and a whole bunch of filler in 4 years. Someone who did a worse coaching and recruiting job than our last 5 coaches.

As a guy who wanted, and tried, to do what he could to bring a program he lioves beyond reproach, back from the depths of hell.

Reactions: B1GNJHoops
Lots of talk going around about Jordan being let go in a couple weeks. If this is it time, I think it is interesting how to remember this guy. To me, if I was to think of what Jordan did here at Rutgers, it would be his ability to take a team in a bad spot and secure some players for the future. I was not impressed with the team from a fundamental level, but I will remember him for keeping a program together at the start of his tenure, and ending it that way.

Yesterday I was amazed at the attitude of the team. After an 0-16 season, I thought this was amazing. Students looked like they were still having fun, and that leaves me hopeful for next year.

A core of Sanders, Williams, Johnson,Laurent and Freeman is something I can be excited about. After looking at the body language, I think a majority of the players hang around. If not though, if players leave, at least if we bring in a right coach that will be the most important piece.A fundamentally sound coach with a couple seasons of winning records. Sanders is close with Jordan, sure, but I still do not think he leaves. If he does, so be it. This program needs to get on the tracks, and has to start running northbound again. A great head coach will do that.

It was good to see how we handled ourselves yesterday. Standing ovation for the team, a class act of a fan base. Also, great to see Lewis and Daniels applauded out. Both have done great jobs in their own regard, and I hope they have successful futures, basketball related or not. I wish them nothing but the best.

A good win to go out on. If you go, thank you Jordan for what you have done. It is important these players grow as much as people as they do athletes. Jordan did that. Going forward, I hope to see more wins and a fundamentally sound coach. I just hope to see a loud RAC, with some team basketball being played in it.

The spaceship is ready for liftoff!

If the spaceship is ready for liftoff (which I agree), then why are all of you idiots calling for the coach to be fired? He didn't have a roster to coach.

Its like putting 5 wide receivers at offensive line for Rutgers and then blaming coach Ash if they can't block defensive tackles. It's pure lunacy.

If the spaceship is ready for liftoff (which I agree), then why are all of you idiots calling for the coach to be fired? He didn't have a roster to coach.

Its like putting 5 wide receivers at offensive line for Rutgers and then blaming coach Ash if they can't block defensive tackles. It's pure lunacy.

If Eddie Jordan played at Iona, would you defend him in the same manor?

Why else would you accept 70 losses in three seasons.

What F*ing "spaceship" is "ready for liftoff"?? Next year's over/under for total/conference wins will be, maybe, 11.5/3.5.

Whose choice was that?

In his three recruiting classes, EJ has brought in exactly 3 guys taller than 6-7... and one of those has transferred (Etou). With four open spots for next year, we only have one more coming in, if he can make it through the clearing house. He took the risk to go light on big men... and when a couple got hurt, there was no size left. When the 6-8 Etou left, that roster spot had to be filled with another player of size... but it wasn't. It still isn't.

Whose choice was that?

In his three recruiting classes, EJ has brought in exactly 3 guys taller than 6-7... and one of those has transferred (Etou). With four open spots for next year, we only have one more coming in, if he can make it through the clearing house. He took the risk to go light on big men... and when a couple got hurt, there was no size left. When the 6-8 Etou left, that roster spot had to be filled with another player of size... but it wasn't. It still isn't.

Diallo, Doorson, Freeman and Foreman are all PF or Centers in college. I believe I saw in the preseason that we were the 2nd or 3rd tallest team in the league (Purdue I remember was #1. Think us and Wisky were next by average height). Unfortunately all of our size got hurt.

Facts suck and all so feel free to continue.

Last edited:
Diallo, Doorson, Freeman and Foreman are all PF or Centers in college. I believe I saw in the preseason that we were the 2nd or 3rd tallest team in the league (Purdue I remember was #1. Think us and Wisky were next by average height). Unfortunately all of our size got hurt.

Foreman wasnt hurt and Lewis while bothered by injury played as well

If Eddie Jordan played at Iona, would you defend him in the same manor?

Why else would you accept 70 losses in three seasons.

no one would, they cant seperate things and feel guilty, they think by giving him one more year will absolve them from guilt...relax no one is taking notes to judge you people

Just looked up every team on sports-reference.com to get their roster heights. They have some listed taller there than on Rivals (for instance, Foreman listed at 6-8 instead of 6-7).

# of players listed on the roster as 6-7 or over:
8 - Michigan
7 - Maryland, Iowa, Wisconsin, OSU, Northwestern, Nebraska
6 - Indiana, Minnesota
5 - Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois
4 - MSU, PA St

So... in terms of roster players 6-7 or better, we are tied for 10th in the conference, with only 2 teams having fewer.

Just looked up every team on sports-reference.com to get their roster heights. They have some listed taller there than on Rivals (for instance, Foreman listed at 6-8 instead of 6-7).

# of players listed on the roster as 6-7 or over:
8 - Michigan
7 - Maryland, Iowa, Wisconsin, OSU, Northwestern, Nebraska
6 - Indiana, Minnesota
5 - Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois
4 - MSU, PA St

So... in terms of roster players 6-7 or better, we are tied for 10th in the conference, with only 2 teams having fewer.

Baer and Okah at Iowa are walk ons. 2G's like Jarred Nickens (Maryland) shouldn't count.

Preseason we were 6'11"(Doorson), 6'10"(Diallo), 6'9"(Lewis), 6'8" (Foreman-exagerrated) and 6'7" (Freeman-Not exaggerated). That was one of the biggest front lines in the league preseason. Unfortunately they got hurt.

Jordan will be remembered as a class act, loyal son, and an all-time RU great as a player. I believe his tenure as coach will largely be forgotten, and will ultimately just be a footnote.
Sounds about right. He'll get credit for keeping the program from shutting down after Mike Rice. RU MBB was as toxic as it can get then. The former RU hero Eddie Jordan riding in to try to save his alma mater-without any promises for new facilities-was a nice story. It is pretty amazing Jack, Mack and Judge stayed, Seagears came back and JJ Moore transferred in EJ's first year. RU fans will want to forget his coaching record and probably will.

Reactions: RC85
I'll remember him as a great player for RU, a guy that won a ring with the Lakers and took a Washington team with Gilbert Arenas to the playoffs. I'll try not to remember his coaching stint, which includes a 61 point loss and many other 30+ point losses, plus 17 and 15 game losing streaks.

I am sorry guys, but I really wish a guy this loyal to my alma mater succeeded here. It really pains me to see this program's current state with a guy like this as our coach. Firing Flood was easy but seeing threads like this one hurts. He will always be an RU legend in my mind and will always get my respect as coach. I really hope the team gets together and miraculously kicks Nebraska's rear end today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT