ADVERTISEMENT

Just Saw Steve Pikiell and Fred Hill...

Rac'nRoll

Redshirt
Jan 30, 2012
in the same High School gym. Unsurprisingly, Paul Mulcahy was there as well. Gill St. Bernards was playing at Ridge. I left after 3 Quarters. Gill was solidly in control. Mulcahy was getting to the rim at will, something he won't be able to do at the next level.

Pikiell's son plays for Ridge, I believe, so he had 2 reasons to be there. I spoke to Fred briefly. Asked him how the trip home was from Omaha. He and I know a few people in common. Wished him good luck the rest of the way.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
looking at Gill's schedule, they play Montverde Academy in some tourney action. That will be a challenge.

I’ve heard a story about Fred hills recruiting, he allegedly will intervene other coaches recruiting players after a period of time (let’s say 20 minutes) and be like ok it’s my turn now, then talk to the kid for way longer than the person he intervened with. Kind of douchey if you ask me

Something tells me Mulcahy comes here. He is a player every good big ten team has.

I have no idea how good Steve's son is or even who he is. The only reason I know he plays for Ridge is that I was at a Fall League game in Elizabeth between Ridge and Westfield (who my son plays for) and I look over before the game and see Pikiell sitting in the bleachers not far from me. The game going on at the time was Elizabeth vs. somebody (don't recall) and I realize pretty quickly there's nothing close to one Big 10 player on the floor.

Anyway, he's by himself and I go over and introduce myself and say, "Coach, I'm gonna make ya feel good. I still think of you as the UCONN captain and backup point guard in 1990." He laughed and we talked old school Big East hoops for about 10 minutes. The name Corny Thompson came up pretty early for those of you of a certain vintage. What was interesting is he said he wanted to go to Villanova because there had been 3 great players from Connecticut who'd gone there, John Pinone, Harold Jensen, and Harold Pressley, and he had watched all 3 guys locally before he was in High School. Then he said "But Rollie didn't recruit me."

So as I was saying goodbye, I asked him "are you here to watch anyone." He said "No, my son plays for Ridge. I just came from St. Benedicts where I was watching a couple guys work out. Maybe you've heard of this guy Precious?"

His son has played in two games, scored 4 points, and is a junior. I know nothing about if he can play but those are his stats for his career.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I live about 12mi away from Montverde Academy.
They are undefeated. Mostly blowouts except for
a 10pt DeMatha win
a 4 pointer vs Bayside
and a 2 point squeaker vs Simeon of Chicago.

Montverde is surprisingly unconnected with the local community.
The only local team they play is The Villages

I’ve heard a story about Fred hills recruiting, he allegedly will intervene other coaches recruiting players after a period of time (let’s say 20 minutes) and be like ok it’s my turn now, then talk to the kid for way longer than the person he intervened with. Kind of douchey if you ask me

Sounds like an episode of the TV show, The Bachelor

The only local team they play is The Villages[/QUOTE]

The Villages?? Isn't that the senior citizen development? (Highest rate of STD outbreak in the country at the Villages, or so my grandmother tells me)

Reactions: Friend of 112
wa1fmzlkbozy.gif

Why can’t it be discussed? If he’s not a D-1 caliber player so be it. Very few high school players are. No shame in that.

From a friend who’s seen pikes son play by coaching against him.

“He is just your average 4 year Hs player who will work his way through the system, Jv to Varsity, role player to starter potentially as senior, possibly D-3 player”

That is not saying he is a bad player or a bad kid, but he is not a D-1 prospect that is all. No shame in that

Last edited:
Reactions: Local Shill
No there isn't----hopefully people leave him alone and let him watch his kid play.

Repeated, If your friend is talking about Paul Mulcahy than he really doesn't know basketball as much as you think. I have seen him play many times and he is an outstanding player. Duke was even considering him. He passes the ball really really well and can score as well. He could play the 1, 2 or 3.

Repeated, If your friend is talking about Paul Mulcahy than he really doesn't know basketball as much as you think. I have seen him play many times and he is an outstanding player. Duke was even considering him. He passes the ball really really well and can score as well. He could play the 1, 2 or 3.

Repeated was talking about HC Pikiell’s son.

I was talking about Pikiell’s kid, bc some people on this board are so sensitive that unless you say the kid is an all star you’re going to offend people. I was just telling the person who asked what type of player he is.

Reactions: Local Shill
Missed the class on reading comprehension? lol

...Montverde is surprisingly unconnected with the local community.
....The Villages?? Isn't that the senior citizen development? (Highest rate of STD outbreak in the country at the Villages, or so my grandmother tells me)
Ha! I'm sure most of the parents at that game looked like they could be the grandparents

I don't know why a recruiter would need more than 20 minutes of a HS players time on any one visit at a high school.

Ha! I'm sure most of the parents at that game looked like they could be the grandparents
Not at all....the kids who attend The Villages Charter School
are kids of local people who work at The Villages...parents in their 30s mostly

Residents who live in The Villages are not allowed to have kids live with them full time
You have to be 55 or over to live there

The Villages?? Isn't that the senior citizen development? (Highest rate of STD outbreak in the country at the Villages, or so my grandmother tells me)[/QUOTE]

People like to say quote that statistic but, The Villages is likely the only community its size to actually report statistics on health. (pop 51,000)

and 5 years in a row The Villages has had the most housing starts in America

its fairly upscale with people from all over the world
TONS of RU alums
there is an RU alum club there....
I went to a few meetings there... I was the youngest person there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT