ADVERTISEMENT

Just started watching The Night Of...

Feb 17, 2002
Holy shit. As a criminal defense attorney, this scares the shit out of me. Most of the way through the first episode and it's fabulous. Never had a murder case but I've had arsons, manslaughters, Agg Assaults... this fact pattern would make me very scared for my client.

Bill

The role played by John Turturo was originally to be played by Jim Gandolfini. Obviously, Jim's passing changed that plan.

Reactions: Peteyd
Wife shut it down at 40 mins. Damn shame..had potential.

Show is awesome. First 45 mins of episode one were slow so I wasn't sure how the show was going to move forward, but 4 episodes in I'm hooked.

Funny... On a flight back home a had a very cool forensic psychiatrist mentioned this show. He also said it was dead on. Have to watch it now...

First 4 episodes kind of just lay ground work for whats to come then it gets insane

Funny... On a flight back home a had a very cool forensic psychiatrist mentioned this show. He also said it was dead on. Have to watch it now...
It seems "real" to me. Of course, like most drama/fiction.. it centers around people making poor decisions. Even if you get past the doing drugs and nameless sex partner thing.. dude wakes up and makes very poor decisions. Don't want to spoil too much for others, but you guys know what I'm saying.

Potentially, the character arc for the main kid is already looking very dramatic. Will the "twist" be that he DID do it?

That's a mean case of eczema/dermatitis Turtorro has, lol. I hope they pick up the pace just a little bit.

I think the whole series has been moving kind of slow up to this point. I think there are 8 episodes in total so I assume they will need to pick it up quickly otherwise I don't think it will score too high with me.

Great show....watch it every Sunday night.
Wife enjoys watching too.

Best HBO show right now. I believe it's based off a British show .
Thanks for the hint.. CBS's "Elementary" is based on BBC's "Sherlock" and I have found that I like them both and both are different enough to enjoy both. I will wait to find this British version in case they are much closer in plot/story and might give stuff away... but thanks for the tip.

Holy shit. As a criminal defense attorney, this scares the shit out of me. Most of the way through the first episode and it's fabulous. Never had a murder case but I've had arsons, manslaughters, Agg Assaults... this fact pattern would make me very scared for my client.

Bill

thanks Bill...saw this thread and tuned in and I was captivated by the first episode. Writing, acting, directing top notch across the board. Looking forward to watching this story evolve.

Ha! My wife REFUSES to watch it. If it's not about butterflies and rainbows, my wife won't watch it.

Bill
Mine likes Disney movies and happy ending love stories. The Notebook anyone? We've got that beauty on DVD, just so we can have an encore performance whenever we(she) feels like it.:eek:(O the joy's of marriage) If she's down stairs and hears screaming, she yells up why am I listening to somebody die. But she does love sports, so I put up with it.

Last edited:
Let me see. Wake up to a gruesome murder scene. Pick up the knife. Drive like an idiot trying to escape. Have an accident. Fail to ditch the knife. Get detained in a police car. Rather than hide it under the front seat or seat cushion of the police car make sure they find the knife when frisked. He deserves to be convicted on stupidity alone.

On the other hand, forgetting about the party and hanging with the girl was pretty smart.

Enjoying the show, great cinematography, very gritty and real but with a high production value..hard to do.

Frustrated by the obvious question that has just been ignored (did not see tonight's episode yet). How does the prime suspect in that murder not have blood all over his clothing and person? Way too much discussion about the case for four lawyers, the family, the cops to all just ignore it. Kid was clean with the exception of the hand issue...

Also, who doesn't at least ditch the knife in the precinct bathroom?

But you have to live with things in a plot I suppose so they can wind the narrative.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Indeed, this was Gandolfini's final project. He's still listed as a producer in the credits. Awesome show

My lasting memory of Gandofini (once saw at a Springsteen benefit show in Asbury Park) was simply passing by him at the stadium on the concourse-both? with soda and hot dogs in hand (technically box). Don't know if he recognized me from somewhere but just as likely he was enjoying a simple pregame moment-and flashed a small quick smile. The joys of Rutgers football...RIP Mr. Gandofini-feel so bad you never got to see RU play in the B1G.

So after tonight's episode they keep with the theme of other options. I can't see how the prosecution didn't follow the other leads. To me looks like the defense could have enough plausible alternatives to misdirect the jury.

Key question: do you think he actually did it ?

So after tonight's episode they keep with the theme of other options. I can't see how the prosecution didn't follow the other leads. To me looks like the defense could have enough plausible alternatives to misdirect the jury.

Key question: do you think he actually did it ?

I think a focus of the show is that sometimes crimes are not fully investigated. For instance, Box watched all of the videos etc in order to establish Nas's movements throughout the night yet he doesn't find the gas station incident noteworthy? Well, if you believe that the accused actually did it sometimes you "miss" things. Remember, a significant percentage of these type of cases are plead out and/or the accused had a PD who doesn't have the time or money to fully investigate every angle.

I think one of the other prisoners, maybe Epps, will rat out Nas for smoking crack, to get a reduced sentence or more privileges.

I think a focus of the show is that sometimes crimes are not fully investigated. For instance, Box watched all of the videos etc in order to establish Nas's movements throughout the night yet he doesn't find the gas station incident noteworthy? Well, if you believe that the accused actually did it sometimes you "miss" things. Remember, a significant percentage of these type of cases are plead out and/or the accused had a PD who doesn't have the time or money to fully investigate every angle.

Watching the evening news tonight I had that same feeling. The case of the mullah who was shot and killed... the cops have a press conference explaining how they did a video sweep of the area, then saw an SUV speeding nearby and connected that to a report of an SUV involved in a hit and run and then did another video sweep of that area to... well, it was about then I had that thought. No way they go this far if it is a standard robbery/murder in the hood.

Unequal justice begins with unequal "attention" for the crime... unequal motivation to investigate and get it right.

Then again, think of the taxpayer dollars involved in such a sweeping investigation... can we afford that for every crime? nope.

Mine too. Said it moves too slow. I agreed but I was still fascinated so I watch by myself. Haven't watched he'd Sundays episode yet.
Think it was less about the speed and more about the 700 stabbing wounds and 5 gallons of blood. Lol
That being said, we do struggle with slow moving shows. We couldn't make it through Madmen or. breaking bad. The idea that it gets better in season 3 never quite made sense to me

Don't want to get into spoilers since many people are catching up, but think this last episode really hurt the show...speaking generally, much of it should have basically taken place in episode 2 or 3. Having a lot of it occur in episode 6 made no sense and strained a lot of credibility.

Actually liked this last episode - it has good character development of how you take a functional citizen and create a criminal.

How different in life would Naz's path would be with out the encounter and associated murder.

Didn't see anyone mention it - I like the opening titles music! (Of course, I like classical music...) It does seem odd that they chose an all strings piece, you would think they would pick grittier music, or music with a Muslim/Pakistani motif.

Show is great, moves at a slower pace, but sometimes it's refreshing to watch something that isn't in a rush to tell it's story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT