ADVERTISEMENT

Key #9 tto Rutgers having a winning season...who steps up to be the go to guy on offense

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
10 keys to RU having a winning 2016 season

10.) dline needs to get a push
9.) someone needs to step to be the go to guy on offense

Let's face it. For two years plus...when Rutgers needed to make a play on offense...it was Carroo time. And last year when Carroo was out; no one really stepped up to the look up guy to make a play when need to keep the drive alive

Grant and Patton are candidates. Maybe robert Martin more.

But we need someone to step up and be the guy when its third and long and we need a first down or it's an end game do or die situation or when we are really badk up against a wall, we need to find someone who we can call their number to make that play

We know the candidates...need someone to step up and make plays when the chips are down

Boy for whatever reason this post just got my football juices going. Here's my quick analysis of the points you made, and some other stuff I think is worth noting.

-Regarding the DLine, if this unit doesn't get push no unit we ever have will. This is just about as talented, experienced, and deep a DLine we can ever expect to have.

-As far as playmakers on O, we've got 5 senior WR's (Grant, Patton, Agudosi, Tsimis, Matthews). 3 experienced RB's (Martin, Hicks, Goodwin). An experienced, talented O-line. A RS-junior returning starting QB (biggest question mark, but he's been working hard and we can reasonably expect him to be very improved from last year).

Couple all that with a coaching staff that knows what it's doing and you can call me crazy but I think this team will be very good.

That's obviously an optimistic perspective, but right now you have to be optimistic - that's what being a fan is all about.

So what this all comes down to is I think we give Washington a game. They're a top 15 team on their home turf, and if they whoop us and bring me back down to Earth so be it. But I believe in these players and the hard work they've been putting in, and as a diehard fan I simply can't sit here before the season starts and expect us to not exceed expectations.

Again, that's what being a fan is all about. We don't all have to all be like Al and expect a 10-win season, but at the very least we can all look at this team and be excited. I for one, could not be more ready to root this team to victory on September 3rd.

We need to stop being in 3rd and long so often...

Yeah I always found this one of the more frustrating aspects to our offense. But it all gets back to more consistency with the running game which is usually the result of how well we block.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT