ADVERTISEMENT

Football Kobe Marfo has entered transfer portal

Sure seems like we're shedding players right now. People are being blase about it. But are we not losing a lot more players than we're adding at the moment?

Reactions: mychaljohn
Sure seems like we're shedding players right now. People are being blase about it. But are we not losing a lot more players than we're adding at the moment?

I might be missing something but outside of Blackshear and Maetti have we lost anyone who has made any significant contributions?
Aren't most of the guys who left going to FCS schools?
This maybe a case of addition by subtraction.
We are losing student/athletes but not many B1G 10 players.

I might be missing something but outside of Blackshear and Maetti have we lost anyone who has made any significant contributions?

RB Elijah Barnwell —> Maine
RB Raheem Blackshear —> Virginia Tech
WR Mo Jabbie —> ???
WR Eddie Lewis —> ???
WR Hunter Hayek —> ???
WR/TE Daevon Robinson —> Robert Morris
WR/TE Jalen Jordan —> Maine
OL Jim Onulak —> ???
OL Sam Howson —> ???
OL Michael Maietti —> ???
DT Malachi Burby —> Rhode Island
LB Chike Nwankwo —> Abilene Christian
DB Kobe Marfo —> ???
DB Malik Dixon —> ???
DB Zihir Lacewell —> Garden City CC (KS)

WR Mo Jabbie —> ???
WR Eddie Lewis —> ???
WR Hunter Hayek —> ???
OL Jim Onulak —> ???
OL Sam Howson —> ???
DB Kobe Marfo —> ???
DB Malik Dixon —> ???

Thanks for the recap. I am going to assume a MAJOR upgrade in process. As long as players treated with respect which is something I am very sure about with Greg.

Thank you for the recap.
How are other football programs doing with the Transfer Portal?
Transfer portals have changed College Football.

I wish all the transfer good luck in their new places.

Reactions: Rokodesh
His most notable accomplishment w RU FB is that he was part of the Credit Card 8, ha!

Hope he lands in a good spot. Apparently he’s a good student.

Next season will be a project anyway. Nobody can reasonably expect too much as the coaching staff finds more pieces of the puzzle.
The only thing I expect is that this rebuild will not take as long as his first time on the banks. He has a lot more going for him this time.

Seems to be the case. Will hurt our depth for next year or two, but we should be fine after that.

Mo Jabbie is the only other name in addition to Blackshear and Maieti that has much of a stat sheet from last season.

Some of the guys who are leaving were likely to not be all-in with the new staff, hence why they are in the portal. Better to make these roster changes now rather than later imo.

Reactions: RUSK97
The spring game might have to be 2 hand touch . Over 15 portal entries which mostly won't be replaced for the spring semester will mean the 2 deep will be very shallow. That's on top of graduating seniors. Well, next man up & there will be loads of opportunities to come in to claim a bunch of playing time.

Good luck to all the transfers (except for a certain redshirt claimer). Thanks for trying your best.

Reactions: redking
Outside of Jabbie, Blackshear and Maetti every name that has come up the first thing I think of is who did he play for and is he a possible transfer to us. Then I read that he is on our team and I do not know who he is. Its amazing that we scored any points or stopped any team...oh wait we didn't LOL

Reactions: RUBOB72

Elorm Lumor started 24 games at DE and had 31 tackles and 3 sacks last year. People seem to forget about him because he declared for the draft and isn’t transferring.

WR Mo Jabbie —> ???
WR Eddie Lewis —> ???
WR Hunter Hayek —> ???
OL Jim Onulak —> ???
OL Sam Howson —> ???
DB Kobe Marfo —> ???
DB Malik Dixon —> ???
Forgot Beatty.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, does it make a sound?

I understand that most were not Big Ten competition-ready when recruited. And I like your creative use of the metaphor, @newell138 (although “hear it” is more apt than “see it” when it comes to sound :)).

My concern is with having enough players in all position groups to provide practice depth. I would guess that we will be okay, depth-wise on game days. Not great and not nearly deep enough with the requisite talent. But at least enough to field teams.

But as players on the 1,2 and 3 deep get banged up throughout the season, we need to be able to rest them here and there but still run good practices. I’m maybe overstating it as a concern. More like curiosity, as I’m not really familiar with how it all works, numbers wise.

Isn't there a one-year limit of 25 or 26 scholarships permitted by the NCAA (which of course doesn't apply to Bama, LSU, Clemson and other programs who seem to sign as many as they want each year)? Do the graduate transfers count in that total? And do others who come in through the Transfer Portal?

We seem to be adding a significant number of PWOs this year, more than I can recall in the past. Hopefully, they will help fill out the roster and give us the number of bodies needed to have competitive practices.

And don't we still have 6 or 7 scholarships that can be granted for the late signing period?

Hopefully, someone can do the math as things stand now and let us know where we stand in terms of numbers of players we're currently operating with for Spring practice and beyond.

Thanks.

Reactions: Scarlet83
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, does it make a sound?

The problem is that when that tree falls on another tree, and so on, and so on, and so on. The trees, due to the domino effect surely makes a lot of noise.....lol

giphy.gif

His most notable accomplishment w RU FB is that he was part of the Credit Card 8, ha!

Hope he lands in a good spot. Apparently he’s a good student.
He can’t say Ash didn’t look out for his post-football vocational skills. Maybe he will apply what he’s learned here at his next spot.

As another stated previously only 2-3 players from Rutgers were serviceable players ... most on the list of 12 can be upgraded within a very short time... Kobe Marfo is not a player who Is gonna cause us to lose sleep... for that matter there are 4 walk - one who are stronger prospects .....specifically Nasir Montgomery... Partyla is a dynamo ... lock him inside with Jay Butler and watch the transformation ... complete roster makeover within 3 cycles .

Outside of Jabbie, Blackshear and Maetti every name that has come up the first thing I think of is who did he play for and is he a possible transfer to us. Then I read that he is on our team and I do not know who he is. Its amazing that we scored any points or stopped any team...oh wait we didn't LOL

so you don’t know the players on the football team yet post on the fan message boards?

I understand that most were not Big Ten competition-ready when recruited. And I like your creative use of the metaphor, @newell138 (although “hear it” is more apt than “see it” when it comes to sound :)).

My concern is with having enough players in all position groups to provide practice depth. I would guess that we will be okay, depth-wise on game days. Not great and not nearly deep enough with the requisite talent. But at least enough to field teams.

But as players on the 1,2 and 3 deep get banged up throughout the season, we need to be able to rest them here and there but still run good practices. I’m maybe overstating it as a concern. More like curiosity, as I’m not really familiar with how it all works, numbers wise.

Dont forget that with Greg and staff emphasizing the recruitment of PWOs and walk ons is, in part, to make sure we have the proper numbers/depth to practice well beginning this summer.

Isn't there a one-year limit of 25 or 26 scholarships permitted by the NCAA (which of course doesn't apply to Bama, LSU, Clemson and other programs who seem to sign as many as they want each year)? Do the graduate transfers count in that total? And do others who come in through the Transfer Portal?

We seem to be adding a significant number of PWOs this year, more than I can recall in the past. Hopefully, they will help fill out the roster and give us the number of bodies needed to have competitive practices.

And don't we still have 6 or 7 scholarships that can be granted for the late signing period?

Hopefully, someone can do the math as things stand now and let us know where we stand in terms of numbers of players we're currently operating with for Spring practice and beyond.

Thanks.

the 25 limit includes all new signees so undergrad and grad transfers count towards the limit. No idea where the math stands, but given all these guys leaving I would guess we can probably get a full class or 25 (including grad transfers)

Some starting school in January might also count against last years number. This gets you over the 25 number if you had less than 25 last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT