ADVERTISEMENT

Kuminga going G League

Good for him. The whole NCAA model needs a complete reboot. Respect these kids taking the G league route and respect the NBA & NBAPA for creating and investing in these kids the right way vs the exploitation of the NCAA. Make $500K & prove yourself to be lottery/pro ready & more than 10x that income.

Reactions: LC-88
Good for him. The whole NCAA model needs a complete reboot. Respect these kids taking the G league route and respect the NBA & NBAPA for creating and investing in these kids the right way vs the exploitation of the NCAA. Make $500K & prove yourself to be lottery/pro ready & more than 10x that income.

It's a good development. College should be for kids who want to be in college.

I really think that they should follow the route baseball players go. Allow them to be drafted out of high school, but if the go to college they need to stay at least two years.

Reactions: LC-88
I think they should allow this kids to have there eligibility for 5 years post HS, go to the G league for a year and if you suck, allow them to go to college and get an education and play kind of like Junior A hockey

Reactions: dkostus and LC-88
It’s always about the money. He’s blowing off a great year of fun to play in the dreariest of situations. Wonder how real the money is?
Don’t Kentucky and LSU and Duke and Michigan offer packages exceeding $500K?

I really think that they should follow the route baseball players go. Allow them to be drafted out of high school, but if the go to college they need to stay at least two years.

Baseball has a 150 round draft and 17 minor league teams per MLB team.
Approximately.

NBA is a 2 round draft.
15 players per NBA team with 1 G-League team for each team.

It's going to be simple.
You are eligible every year.
Out of HS and don't get drafted - go to college for a year or the G-League.
Then declare again if you want.

I think they should allow this kids to have there eligibility for 5 years post HS, go to the G league for a year and if you suck, allow them to go to college and get an education and play kind of like Junior A hockey
The NCAA could allow those players to be eligible for JUCO programs and if they earn a degree move on to play D-2 (but not eligible for scholarship ) or D-3 basketball
But once a kid just out of HS decides to take pro money, D-1 eligibility and any scholarship (D-2) should be over.
Financial aid, just like any other student, should be made available.

It’s always about the money. He’s blowing off a great year of fun to play in the dreariest of situations. Wonder how real the money is?
Don’t Kentucky and LSU and Duke and Michigan offer packages exceeding $500K?

If making 500k for less than a year, in a program specifically designed to prepare you for your future and maximize your future earnings is "the "dreariest of situations" - sign me up.

Last edited:
If making 500k for less than a year, in a program specifically designed to prepare you for your future and maximize your future earnings is "the "dreariest of situations" - sign me up.
Even their parents and friends don’t go to the G-League games. They are awful. Rather watch a pickup game at the Morristown Y.

Reactions: NickRU714
Even their parents and friends don’t go to the G-League games. They are awful. Rather watch a pickup game at the Morristown Y.

Do you realize this is a completely separate G-League team?

This is the G-League Select Team.
All these top recruits playing together on the same team based in Los Angeles.

I’m sure none of their families or friends will want to relocate to L.A. for a couple months.

How many friends and family currently relocate to the middle of nowhere with a player when they leave for college for 6 months before going pro?

Reactions: Mr_Twister
You are correct, I do not know the whole story and its details. I do know that Kuminga is going to miss a wonderful year in a college setting, where life is very good, that he can’t get back. Given his ability, the money will always be there. Years from now he can sneeze at a missed opportunity for $500K.

Reactions: NickRU714
Maybe the NCAA Basketball and NBA should look at the model of NCAA Baseball and MLB?

hmmm.. perhaps with age restrictions and years of eligibility restrictions.. not schooly restrictions. That is.. suppose a kids route to the NBA is gone after 2 years in G league.. he is basically a junior coming in as a frosh.. that limits true-frosh's access to schollies... some compromise where he gets 2, maybe 3 years eligibility and a 4-5 year schollie... if he keeps on track to graduate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT