ADVERTISEMENT

Leigha Devine Selected for 2021 U.S. Women’s Open June 3-6

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Devine, who is believed to be the first individual in Rutgers women's golf history to secure a spot at the prestigious event, earned a place in the field after she tied for second at the U.S. Open qualifier on May 10 in Spring Lake, New Jersey to secure first-alternate honors.

In the USGA site it says she's a 1st Alternate. Like Chris Gotterup in the Men's Open qualifier she was forced to go into OT. 3 way playoff in which she finished 2nd.

Fun Fact:The Medalist at this Qualifier was no other than LPGA player and Tiger Woods neice, Cheyenne Woods.

Spring Lake CC is a shotmakers course, not what you'd call long. Olympic Club is a bear.

Here's her scorecard for the 36 holes...

She's had some success away from RU (which is another reason the Coach is being questioned here).

Honestly @Tango Two, this is a whole nother level. Almost all of the best players in the world will be there. Just being there would be a really, really huge accomplishment especially at her age and experience level.

EDIT: I was wondering about her being an Alternate BUT the USGA has her listed in the Field so she must be good to go. Such a great experience for the young lady.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango Two
Devine tees off at 2:46P Pacific tomorrow in the next to last group.

Friday her tee time is 9:01A on the back 9.

Probably would like an earlier time tomorrow rather tha sitting around waiting most of the day. On the plus side, I've often heard most Tour players prefer late/early so I guess it isn't all that bad.

Best of luck to her. Making the cut would be an incredible accomplishment.

She had a really rough time out there starting with a double on #1. 5 Over after 4 holes and a string on the back 9 where she was something like 7 Over thru 5 holes.

This is her first foray into the "Big Time". Hopefully she takes time to appreciate she played well enough to get here, creates some good memories that she can bring home with her, and with a better understanding what it takes to compete at a high level.

I was ticked they ended the broadcast just as she was coming down 18. Would have like to see her make it on TV.

Reactions: Tango Two
The junior in NJ high school was leading after the first round. She is committed to go to Stanford after she graduates high school in 2022. Unreal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT