ADVERTISEMENT

Let's hope these people pick the right person

based on the list of people on the search committee, one needs to hope they get a centrist pick when it comes to academics, the BIG and sports--some of those anti Barchi guys may be begging him to change his mind if it goes bad

based on the list of people on the search committee, one needs to hope they get a centrist pick when it comes to academics, the BIG and sports--some of those anti Barchi guys may be begging him to change his mind if it goes bad
Mulcahy-Bob-featured_RGB.jpg
:ThumbsUp

sorry , but those deciding may not seem to be the type that puts any particular emphasis on sports
It was a joke.
But Hobbs was an academic for quite a while before he turned to sports. . . .and that would satisfy the crowd that dos not like him as AD. But not a realistic choice. Foresee the committee finding a candidate with strong medical or science background.

It was a joke.
But Hobbs was an academic for quite a while before he turned to sports. . . .and that would satisfy the crowd that dos not like him as AD. But not a realistic choice. Foresee the committee finding a candidate with strong medical or science background.
I would assume that a strong medical or science background would be preferred. Someone with an academic and research background (even if research in a non-STEM field) would be a minimum. While a law dean may be a long-shot, it would at least be a law dean from a research university. I don't see any way that Hobbs, who was a law dean at Seton Hall, gets any serious consideration.

I would assume that a strong medical or science background would be preferred. Someone with an academic and research background (even if research in a non-STEM field) would be a minimum. While a law dean may be a long-shot, it would at least be a law dean from a research university. I don't see any way that Hobbs, who was a law dean at Seton Hall, gets any serious consideration.
Agreed.

the BIG and sports--some of those anti Barchi guys may be begging him to change his mind if it goes bad
Literally how could any one be worse from a sports perspective?

-Day one, was to limit and reduce spending on athletics. Only stated goal he had for athletics.

-Couldn't even be bothered to look at a tape a couple years later. Causing the biggest athletic scandal in recent Rutgers athletic history. Proceeds to throw everyone under bus so he can stay out of the gun fire

-Entry into B1G accelerate Elimination of Direct Institutional Support to 2021 date. Even though irrational, tell athletics you have to find the money somewhere in order to meet each end of year fiscal reduction goal. Thus athletics has to mortgage it's future payouts just to pay our coaches the least in the B1G. Also had to take out a loan from the University at 5.65% to meet these goals.

So I ask exactly what has he done in all his time here for athletics except treat it like a foreign entity? To do worse the next President would have to start cutting sports and turning athletic facilities into dorms.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU#1fan
Look, I don't care if the new president knows anything about sports if he empowers his athletic director to do what he thinks needs to be done and supports him rather than undercuts him. You don't have to be a sports guy, but you can't try to minimize/sabotage sports as you go about your business.

Now, I know some of you don't like Hobbs much, but I'm talking about the position, not the person in it. Although I'm mostly OK with Hobbs.

Mostly.

"Literally how could any one be worse from a sports perspective?" you're joking??? or are you so uninformed or naive that you really believe what you just said

Any shot of luring Mitch Daniels away from Purdue? He hasn't raised tuition by a dime since he's been there and he'd be supportive of athletics.

Unfortunately I think they will recommend some liberal " woke" person who will hate sports and continue to push the elite, ultra leftist agenda prevalent in most campuses today. After all, Rutgers is the State University of New Jersey.

Reactions: LC-88 and trotter
"Literally how could any one be worse from a sports perspective?" you're joking??? or are you so uninformed or naive that you really believe what you just said
Please elaborate from your vast inexperience O wise one. Do tell me exactly what Barchi in his time here has done which benefited athletics? You say, got us into the B1G, I'm going to laugh my ass off. A monkey trained to pick up a phone could have accomplished that. And from the deal we got it doesn't look like a negotiation took place, more of a take it or leave it.

Unfortunately I think they will recommend some liberal " woke" person who will hate sports and continue to push the elite, ultra leftist agenda prevalent in most campuses today. After all, Rutgers is the State University of New Jersey.
But academia is a haven for free thought, openness and tolerance of the left and right in America today...right?

Look, I don't care if the new president knows anything about sports if he empowers his athletic director to do what he thinks needs to be done and supports him rather than undercuts him. You don't have to be a sports guy, but you can't try to minimize/sabotage sports as you go about your business.

Now, I know some of you don't like Hobbs much, but I'm talking about the position, not the person in it. Although I'm mostly OK with Hobbs.

Mostly.

But doesn't that pretty much describe Barchi's attitude toward athletics. He basically gave his athletic directors free rein to run the athletic department, only stepping in when there were significant problems. Most posters here seem to want a president who is actively involved in athletic decisions, rather than someone who delegates that authority to the athletic director.

Reactions: ru66
i wouldn't take the job even if i was getting paid 10mil a year... screw living in jerzy

k- don't let your "hate" for Barchi hide realities--I guess you really thought Julie was better than Pernetti--and by the way Pernetti was instrumental in the BIG--there are a lot worst than Barchi as for sports--they, by the way could be proactively anti sports--which some of the haters fail to understand--Barchi was not proactively / intentionally hurting sports

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT