ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. Northwestern

To be fair we looked like shit most of the game. That being said people bailing and calling it a loss in the first half is a bit extreme
btw I jumped into the game thread right when they started playing well... I'll take it the rest of the way, see you in the postgame threads

I thought we need to fire Pike???
well.. while not one of those guys.. I found it very strange when Wenzel said Pike was telling them to run the weave while they were down 14-16 or so. Every one of our guys should be able to take their man one on one.. we had plenty of open shots we'd turn down. I would have thought the plan should have been to push the ball early and often.. turn it back if you had nothing.. but crash the boards and take first open shot.

I thought we need to fire Pike???
Dont let geo catching absolute fire make you overlook the fact that pike was outcoaced tonight. We won in spite of pike tn, not because of him. Some very very poor moves tonight by him and hes still not running an offense. Its a problem

Reactions: RUEd
Kyk looks for laces on a basketball. He has no clue about the sport. Good fan, though
Couple questions.

1) what happened when caleb got put in for mulcahy after paul was in for an extended period as caleb was locked to the bench?

2) whats the rationale for not going for a 2 for 1?

3) do we run an offense?

Teams of destiny find a way to win games like this. Maybe Cinderella found her slipper tonight.

Hope so. But this team has very little margin to win B1G games.

Great comeback win tonite. Hope we can follow up on it.

Reactions: JQRU91
I kinda feel for NW and their fans... That's the kinda defeat snatched from the jaws of victory only we could understand

imagine if they were like RU fans Collins would be fired before they touched down in Chicago

To be fair we looked like shit most of the game. That being said people bailing and calling it a loss in the first half is a bit extreme
I never doubted the win.
TBH- I got a text from a pal who was at the game at about 8:00-- forgot the game had started and turned it on in the middle of the comeback. Ignorance is bliss.

Couple questions.

1) what happened when caleb got put in for mulcahy after paul was in for an extended period as caleb was locked to the bench?

3) do we run an offense?
You don’t deserve to have any questions answered after your horrendous posts in this thread. Pike is literally the best thing that ever happened to RU Hoops since the 70s

You don’t deserve to have any questions answered after your horrendous posts in this thread. Pike is literally the best thing that ever happened to RU Hoops since the 70s
Well its probably because you simply cant answer them, which is fine.

Couple questions.

3) do we run an offense?

We are 1.5 games out of 1st in the toughest conference in the country with an HC who doesn’t run plays, doesn’t recruit well, substitutes terribly... am I missing anything... it’s a miracle on par with the parting of the Red Sea and The Immaculate Conception.

Dont let geo catching absolute fire make you overlook the fact that pike was outcoaced tonight. We won in spite of pike tn, not because of him. Some very very poor moves tonight by him and hes still not running an offense. Its a problem

Kyk you ever read Aesop’s fables as a kid? You know the one about the boy who cried wolf. If pike gets out coached every game even when the opposing coach gives up a 16 point lead with 7 minutes to go people tend to stop listening especially when you say it after every fake wine or lose

We are 1.5 games out of 1st in the toughest conference in the country with an HC who doesn’t run plays, doesn’t recruit well, substitutes terribly... am I missing anything... it’s a miracle on par with the parting of the Red Sea and The Immaculate Conception.
Were 2 games from first and 2 games from 12th. But would you mind answering my questions?

Kyk you ever read Aesop’s fables as a kid? You know the one about the boy who cried wolf. If pike gets out coached every game even when the opposing coach gives up a 16 point lead with 7 minutes to go people tend to stop listening especially when you say it after every game win or lose
Please respond.

3) do we run an offense?

imagine if they were like RU fans Collins would be fired before they touched down in Chicago

They broke their long standing streak of no ncaa a few years ago. We're still waiting, they have that in their pockets. Not to mention they dont exactly have any bball history to measure against.
We've got some historical expectations to measure against.

Maryland 9-3
Rutgers 8-5

How many back?
2 in the loss column + maryland holds tie break, so again, basically 2. Now,

3) do we run an offense?

Please respond.

3) do we run an offense?

making one or two mistakes does not equate to being out coached if not being perfect means you are out coached then no coach ever out coached another.

as for you questions.

1. Pike has his subbing pattern. Is it perfect? No. But McConnell can’t play the whole half. He needs to sub. Was pikiell perfect on timing ? Who knows but at the end day his last five won him the game. Early in the game with McConnell on the floor or not we were getting our a** kicked.

2. I didn’t like that he didn’t get a quick shot either but assuming he wanted a good shot vs a bad shot just to get two for one. Ron got a good look that went in and out. I would have preferred to get a shot up quicker but again the goal is a good shot. Not two for one

3. yes we run the weave that everyone talks about. Whether you like it or not we do not have the players yet. If Baylor would run it it would work better. We miss open shots all game. Talent is still not where it needs to be to be upper echelon of big ten.

Please respond.

3) do we run an offense?

kyk, I hear you about Mulcahy. I was wondering why he was getting so much run in the 2nd half. On the other hand, McConnell was VERY fresh down the stretch, the polar opposite to the way he was down the stretch against Maryland, when he made three bad plays in a row because he was gassed.

I don’t think it’s an automatic no-brainer to go 2-for-1 with only 48 seconds left. I think reasonable minds can differ on that. Do you want one possession where you get a really good look (Harper has a good look, and his three was halfway down) and then play defense for one possession? Or do you want two possessions where BOTH are very rushed?

Reactions: ChasRC69
The offense is hot garbage but saying Pike hasn’t made the program better and that he should/likely will be fired is laughable, even when in the heat of the moment. We’re on the verge of making the tourney for the first time in 20 years and 4 years ago we won 7 games.
Oh hes made the program better no doubt. But hes either gonna install and offense this offseason or he should be looking at unemployment after the 2022 season

Please respond.

3) do we run an offense?

Pike specially addressed #2 in presser with very well thought response. Check it out and you will learn something.

He stated that’s not who we are. “I would rather play for one good shot and play hard D on the other end. Many teams end up with 2 bad shots. That’s not what I want”

2 in the loss column + maryland holds tie break, so again, basically 2. Now,

3) do we run an offense?

Our offensive efficiency is better than Va Tech, Xavier, Oklahoma St, Tennessee, UNC, Texas, etc. etc. With all due respect stick to "hot takes" like this gem.

his thumb is ****ed. He shouldn't be playing it's effecting his game on both ends.

Pike specially addressed #2 in presser with very well thought response. Check it out and you will learn something.
I just listened his response was “yeah we dont do that” LOL. Followed by “you guys look at the clock, i look for a good shot”. Which is a lie because out of that timeout we didnt look for a shot, geo dribble with no one moving for 10 seconds before we whipped a pass to ron for a 3.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Oh hes made the program better no doubt. But hes either gonna install and offense this offseason or he should be looking at unemployment after the 2022 season

you need to see a doctor. This is why Rutgers can’t have nice things. People like you. Did you just start watching Rutgers this year? Do you know anything about Rutgers history?

Reactions: RUforester72
Our offensive efficiency is better than Va Tech, Xavier, Oklahoma St, Tennessee, UNC, Texas, etc. etc. With all due respect stick to "hot takes" like this gem.
You still havent answered simple questions lol

you need to see a doctor. This is why Rutgers can’t have nice things. People like you. Did you just start watching Rutgers this year? Do you know anything about Rutgers history?
Who cares about history? Its like saying “since weve sucked for 3 decades we should just set the bar at average”. Sorry i dont live in the past. Were in the big ten with a brand new practice facility, the bar is raised. Every year the expectation should be tourney, not average

You still havent answered simple questions lol

Yes, we run an offense. Yes, Coach Pikiell has done an unbelievable job this year with this team. Yes, Coach Pikiell is and should be on a very short list for B1G COY. Rightfully so. This team will win more games, has big games left to play and will continue to surprise. I'm sure of it.

I know where you stand. Saw it posted the other day. Time will tell if you're right or I am.

Here's my dead honest prediction. I'd love to be wrong

1) We miss the tourney this year but most people rationalize it by saying "we're a year ahead of schedule it's miraculous that in year 4 (when our coach has a roster 100% of his own guys) that we even were on the bubble"

2) We under perform again next year and miss the tourney but the narrative will be, well the ball bounced the wrong way, next year we'll have a senior laden roster with upperclassmen of ron, montez, caleb, myles, mulcahy, next year is the year. Now fans will begin questioning pike and if he's the guy.

3) Ron, Myles, Caleb, Montez senior year in 21-22, we miss the tourney and the pitchforks come out for pike and ultimately in typical Rutgers fashion we'll wait another year to fire him and finally get a coach in here who can take advantage of the APC, or geography and get things done.

Reactions: FastMJ and DC8690
why should Rutgers be in NCAA tournement every year? Tell me why they should put recruit the like of Michigan state, Ohio state, Maryland.

If you can’t see why we shouldnt fire the only coach who has had any success since 30 years ago then you have lost all sense of reality.

I just listened his response was “yeah we dont do that” LOL. Followed by “you guys look at the clock, i look for a good shot”. Which is a lie because out of that timeout we didnt look for a shot, geo dribble with no one moving for 10 seconds before we whipped a pass to ron for a 3.

That's not what he said. You hear what you want to hear so you can keep digging on your bad takes.

That's not what he said. You hear what you want to hear so you can keep digging on your bad takes.
That is what he said haha. He said “yeah, i mean thats not what we do. We wanna get a good shot every time. I mean you guys are looking at the clock and im trying to get a good shot and i trust our defense ya know. And sometimes when you do those kind of things it doesnt help you, you get two bad shots, i want 1 good shot and i worry about stopping at the other end”.

so you wanna tell me what that scream to you? Because that statement coped with geo dribbling in a stand still after the timeout screams to me that he doesnt believe in 2 for 1’s he doesnt even draw up a play to get a good shot and frankly it screams bad coaching to me.

Who cares about history? Its like saying “since weve sucked for 3 decades we should just set the bar at average”. Sorry i dont live in the past. Were in the big ten with a brand new practice facility, the bar is raised. Every year the expectation should be tourney, not average

With 7 games left we are in contention for the B1G regular season title, have been ranked and are a solid “Top 35 team” with less than 4 weeks left in the season.

abaaf52a4e733d3d07f94939eed73b77104366308c44f8a67a764e7e35e824bf_1.jpg

Yeah the problem in this case is that we got a shot that we could have gotten under a 2 for 1 construct.
This. Coming out of that timeout we all knew what was coming, a geo iso jumper. When they flooded geo it went to ron for a jumper. Couldve gotten that look in a 2 for 1 scenario. Anyone trying to defend pike on this one has the blinders on. Its inexcusable

With 7 games left we are in contention for the B1G regular season title, have been ranked and are a solid “Top 35 team” with less than 4 weeks left in the season.

abaaf52a4e733d3d07f94939eed73b77104366308c44f8a67a764e7e35e824bf_1.jpg
Eh ya know what, cant help someone whos clueless and doesnt know the game

That is what he said haha. He said “yeah, i mean thats not what we do. We wanna get a good shot every time. I mean you guys are looking at the clock and im trying to get a good shot and i trust our defense ya know. And sometimes when you do those kind of things it doesnt help you, you get two bad shots, i want 1 good shot and i worry about stopping at the other end”.

so you wanna tell me what that scream to you? Because that statement coped with geo dribbling in a stand still after the timeout screams to me that he doesnt believe in 2 for 1’s he doesnt even draw up a play to get a good shot and frankly it screams bad coaching to me.

What he said we he doesn't want guys worrying about the clock and taking a bad shot, and then probably get another bad shot at the end of the game. He would rather get a good shot then play defense. I'm sure he's studied this for a long time and this is what he thinks is best.

It's college not the NBA.

But go ahead and keep digging deeper and deeper. It's fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT