ADVERTISEMENT

Loudest crowd in a few years…imo

I have nothing left, lol. My wife cracked up when I got home and had no voice. What a friggin' game. It's so hard to compare games, but this might have been even louder than Purdue at the end during the 10-0 run - certainly might've been the best sustained crowd noise in years.
I felt that it was louder than the game against Penn St. In 87 or 89. And that is amazing since my hearing is poorer than back then.

First half sounded rather tame on TV. But I think it was how it was micd up
Someone said FS1 and B1G handle the crowd noise differently and thats a damn shame bc the MSU game seemed louder on TV I think. First half tonight sounded like the crowd was dead. Second half sounded louder.

This is great to hear . On tv it didn’t seem that loud and the announcers didn’t say anything about the noise
Epic fail by the announcers for not conveying the atmosphere better. I feel like it wasn't even mentioned or barely at all

the student section was overflowing, have not seen it packed in like in over a decade
You mentioned some empty seats scattered in the arena... think those are tickets people bought to get into the RAC then snuck into the student section?

Reactions: MrsScrew
Someone said FS1 and B1G handle the crowd noise differently and thats a damn shame bc the MSU game seemed louder on TV I think. First half tonight sounded like the crowd was dead. Second half sounded louder.

Epic fail by the announcers for not conveying the atmosphere better. I feel like it wasn't even mentioned or barely at all

You mentioned some empty seats scattered in the arena... think those are tickets people bought to get into the RAC then snuck into the student section?
no they are scalpers who buy 100 tickets and sell 90 of them and make money...eat 10

no they are scalpers who buy 100 tickets and sell 90 of them and make money...eat 10
or people who bought tix ahead of time but maybe their kid has a game or practice...I made our practice 4:30-6 and we booked there right after. Got there 7:03...Some people wouldn't do that and eat them...

Great game and the crowd was awesome the last three minutes - but no way was that close to 1989.
I will admit that there'a built in bias for me when I say that nothing will ever be louder than that PSU game - because I was in the student section, which was just so insane it can't even be described, lol. In 102 it's just never going to be as loud. I'd say it might be the loudest sustained noise I've heard for several minutes, outside of being in the student section.

From our section, it’s the loudest I’ve ever heard the RAC. Period. At one point, my dad said to me, “We can hear every word you’re yelling through your mask!” And I usually sit calmly whether we’re up 10 or down 10 because I can’t take the anxiety. So yeah, I’d say the crowd was pumped up to another level tonight.

Reactions: Danprusa_4
I have attended games since 1971 and have followed the team since Lloyd and Valvano. I have only missed a few games at the RAC since it opened in 1977. The place was as loud as probably any game ever at the RAC. Steve Pikiell deserves so much credit for bringing crowds back to the RAC and making every game an event. Those who want him gone don't have a clue at all.

i thought the crowd came across well on TV in the last few minutes.

anyone have the clip of the shot clock violation, thats the one I think was the loudest.......its almost made me think of a cicada invasion

Reactions: Peteyd

quite honestly I abhor that they gave all those tickets to lacrosse team who were not interested in the game that much. In fact two guys in grey sweats who said they were student athletes almost started a fight in 212 because they were standing at the glass partition for a few minutes and didnt like it when multiple season ticket holders were telling them to move...i can give a shit they are student athletes they kept repeating as if it meant something. I just hate for some reason a whole section in 110 is always on the hands

I‘m in the first row and the shot clock violation took place right in front of me. I don’t think I heard the buzzer or the refs whistle. I didn’t hear the final buzzer or whistle either. It was as loud as I’ve ever heard the RAC (and I was at the A10 Championship game VS fpsu). I have no voice but it was worth it!

The crowd noise causing the shot clock violation was unbelievable. They were absolutely lost and couldn’t hear the bench yelling to them from a few feet away.

It was one of the loudest I’ve ever heard the RAC and certainly one of the most impactful to the game.

Needless to say I have a cough drop in right now and tomorrow will be a rough one!
Agree, as soon as the shot clock violation sounded I turned to my son and yelled OS couldn't hear their bench he did not hear me.

It's funny, the RAC's noise always kind of reminds me of Spinal Tap. There's quiet, loud, really loud, deafening, and then there's 11. Whenever 11 gets hit, it feels like the opposing team gets disoriented...Ohio State looked visibly rattled by the amount of noise going there. And the RAC has been clocked at over 113 decibals in the last few years.

It's funny, the RAC's noise always kind of reminds me of Spinal Tap. There's quiet, loud, really loud, deafening, and then there's 11. Whenever 11 gets hit, it feels like the opposing team gets disoriented...Ohio State looked visibly rattled by the amount of noise going there. And the RAC has been clocked at over 113 decibals in the last few years.
Nice concise summary. Well done!

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but I did.....there were so many students that showed up they needed to squish the band down to let the students fill in behind them. It was SRO in that section. The Riot Squad was killing it last night.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but I did.....there were so many students that showed up they needed to squish the band down to let the students fill in behind them. It was SRO in that section. The Riot Squad was killing it last night.

that’s the way it always used to be. Always thought it was ridiculous how much the band spread out.

Reactions: Scangg
Im feeling proud. I bought a 4-pack this season. Three games in, I’ve been there for Purdue, the blowout of Nebraska, and tonight. For my finale I’ll be at the Illinois game next week yelling my ass off.
Is that you in the photo? You look a lot like the actor now doing State Farm ads on TV.

First half sounded rather tame on TV. But I think it was how it was micd up
I was on a business trip so streamed the game online, but it didn’t sound that loud to me.

I think BTN must have had a decibel protector on their mics or something lol.

Talked to my dad on the phone after and he said it was the loudest he’s heard the RAC since the 90s.

Even when Geo hit the elbow J to make it 64-62 the announcers stopped talking and let the RAC talk (which I love), but it definitely sounded muffled.

I've been down on the court level when the RAC is at insane noise levels and I honestly don't know how the other team is able to shoot the ball and I am a former high level athlete who has handled crowd noise. The noise level is absolutely insane and that's why any of you who ever suggest this arena be replaced should be tarred and feathered. It's a MASSIVE advantage. Like 15 points better.

I was on a business trip so streamed the game online, but it didn’t sound that loud to me.

I think BTN must have had a decibel protector on their mics or something lol.

Talked to my dad on the phone after and he said it was the loudest he’s heard the RAC since the 90s.

Even when Geo hit the elbow J to make it 64-62 the announcers stopped talking and let the RAC talk (which I love), but it definitely sounded muffled.

MrScrew was watching from home. When I got home from the game he commented that he thought BTN definitely muffled the sound vs the Fox broadcast for Saturday's MSU game.

I will admit that there'a built in bias for me when I say that nothing will ever be louder than that PSU game - because I was in the student section, which was just so insane it can't even be described, lol. In 102 it's just never going to be as loud. I'd say it might be the loudest sustained noise I've heard for several minutes, outside of being in the student section.
Let me put it this way. I sit about 5 feet away from where I was at the '89 PSU game. A few rows behind the radio booth in Section 203. This game was louder than PSU.
Here's the game.

They didn't have noise cancelling mikes back then.

• Love
Reactions: Peteyd and Scangg
I've been down on the court level when the RAC is at insane noise levels and I honestly don't know how the other team is able to shoot the ball and I am a former high level athlete who has handled crowd noise. The noise level is absolutely insane and that's why any of you who ever suggest this arena be replaced should be tarred and feathered. It's a MASSIVE advantage. Like 15 points better.
Agree

Reactions: shields
Agree 100% I sit right behind the RU bench and it is insane. I've sat up top for a few games in 2019 and it's loud but being down court level is a whole nother animal

If it’s replaced it better be with another concrete trapezoid with vertical seating or else I riot

But having been there, I would say this, the single-loudest arena I’ve ever been in my whole life was the night Rutgers beat Penn State to win the Atlantic 10 championship and go to the NCAAs. I can’t think of something in my time in coaching that I’m more proud of than being a part of that group. Bob Wenzel did an incredible job with that group because they had no right doing that based on their talent. Article I believe by Jerry Carino. At the end of the article Van Gundy says if they get good, they will not lose at home.

Best part was he said if they get good won't lose at home. Jerry Carino interview with Jeff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT