ADVERTISEMENT

Mario Cristobal makes Double what Greg Schiano does

Really think contracts should be heavily incentivized on performance to get to those ludicrous annual salaries. @Knight Shift had a similar blueprint. The years you perform you get those super duper salaries but if you don't well then just your "normal/regular" salary. These are just arbitrary numbers but you get the idea. You could do it fixed like this or some percentage of base salary. It makes more sense, you get paid for performance. Do well and you're compensated and it's not a long term obligation other than the base or some percentage of the base. It's fair to both the school and the coach. ADs should have some guts and take a stand, instead of the usual OPM.

Example:
Base Salary: 4M
Make a bowl: Bonus 1M for a total of 5M that year
8-10 wins: Bonus 2M for a total of 6M
Make the playoffs: Bonus 3M for a total of 7M
Make the national championship: Bonus 4M for a total of 8M
Win the championship: Bonus 5M for a total of 9M

Last edited:
At some point, we will have to adjust Schiano’s contract. Otherwise the market will do it for us.
Some other points, Al. Coaching is not necessarily like any other job in that Head Coaches get paid ridiculous amounts of money for results they have not yet achieved and/or fail at the job. Great work if you can get it.

As you rightly said, "the market will do it for us." That may be true, but in every negotiation, one side will always consider the other side's next best alternative. At this moment, Greg really does not have a next best alternative that pays more than he is receiving. So there is no reason to do anything. In addition, to the extent any head coach walked into the AD's office, and I was AD, I would give them the speech one of my mentors gave to me. "This is not about someone else's contract that they may or may not have earned. If you want a raise, tell me why YOU deserve a raise without reference to what some other person got for a raise or pay."

Reactions: rutgersguy1
"Comparison is the thief of joy. "

Wait... never mind. There is no joy whatsoever in R-ville. At least not for now.

Reactions: RU Cheese
There are no exceptions. You might think there are but there aren’t. ADs making bad hires doesn’t make this an exception it just means make better hires.

Also it’s not cheap skate, it’s having financial sanity which is important for a school with less resources.
Sorry but you don’t make the rules. Financial sanity caused us to lose our entire season ticket holder base, and it’s going to be a while till we bring it back.

Greg Schiano brings exceptional value to the role, because he is able to recruit above the level the school has historically recruited at, because he is an outstanding salesman.

it’s easy to say make better higher hires, but I have no confidence that Rutgers would actually be able to do it, based on its historical track record.

Sorry but you don’t make the rules. Financial sanity caused us to lose our entire season ticket holder base, and it’s going to be a while till we bring it back.

Greg Schiano brings exceptional value to the role, because he is able to recruit above the level the school has historically recruited at, because he is an outstanding salesman.

it’s easy to say make better higher hires, but I have no confidence that Rutgers would actually be able to do it, based on its historical track record.
Let's let Greg earn money the old fashioned way- to EARN it. He does not have a next best alternative, and highly doubt he is going to quit for being underpaid without another offer on the table.

You don't make the rules either and GS hasn't done anything to warrant going crazy over his contract. Even if he did it for a year I'd say the same. It's also easy to say pay him money on the back of an AD that's not financially hefty in comparison to others out there...OPM.

Their job is to hire coaches, if they can't do it that doesn't mean go cuckoo on crazy coaching salaries. SomehowCincy has hired multiples coaches, under different ADs no less, that have done okay to very well for the most part. Same for Temple, a school that was actually thrown out of the BE. UCF has done similar. RU isn't any exception to anything. Utah State just hired Blake Anderson and last year had 1 win and mess left behind. This year 9-3 and just beat SDSU in the MWC title game. Jonathan
Smith over 4 years finally got them to a bowl 7-5, first time since 2013. 6 years 22.6M new contract...fairly reasonable. So don't think we're some exception and things can't be done in difficult situations. You don't have to go nuts financially to reach respectable results.

Financial sanity when you don't have a lot isn't a rule to be broken or not, it's common sense. You take a best case scenario and then school is left holding the bag if things don't work. I take who knows what the hell will happen scenario and allow for the school to be able to deal with it financially in any circumstance.

Let's let Greg earn money the old fashioned way- to EARN it. He does not have a next best alternative, and highly doubt he is going to quit for being underpaid without another offer on the table.
Agreed. Not talking about now. Looking ahead to when he ultimately delivers.

Reactions: Knight Shift
N
We won’t fire him if he wins 7 or 8 games. That’s our ceiling.
Not at all. Was merely saying no need to reward him with a new contract. If he gets to 9-10 wins (al's metric) then reward him. No need to be afraid of him leaving. If he turns it around 1)he stays and you reward him at that point or 2) He leaves and it is a desirable job and we bring in a good coach at that point. But no need to renegotiate or extend contract now.

Reactions: Caliknight
We are not getting to 9-10 wins. Maybe once in a blue moon when the stars align, but 7-8 wins will be a massive success.

And if done a couple years in a row (along with the market going nuts) will get him a big raise or a new job.

Success at Rutgers a second time will make him very marketable - in college, maybe not in the NFL.

And if done a couple years in a row (along with the market going nuts) will get him a big raise or a new job.

Success at Rutgers a second time will make him very marketable - in college, maybe not in the NFL.
True. But where it stands now, Rutgers was as much of a reclamation project as Greg Schiano himself. He might be even more. We had other options. He had none.

Greg is already being paid to get 6 - 8 wins. Nobody brought him here to win 5.

Ps.. Greg didn't beat Miami, WVU, Ohio St. Wisky, or Michigan to get his 10 wins. Big East was 8 teams then. 5 out of conference..not 3.
Greg was expected to beat Miami in years 2001-03? Miami was gone to the ACC at the end of 2003.

It will be interesting to see how 2.0 does compared to 1.0 in certain aspects.

For one, as I mentioned earlier either in this thread or another, just as @1984 said…things changed as the Big East got a little easier on the field. But at the same time got a little harder to “sell” because of those changes. I’m sure conference instability was one of the things used against us by our recruiting opponents (“Why would you pick Rutgers? Those guys play nobody.”) back then.

For 2.0 it’s the reverse…harder on the field but an easier sell as the *B1G > Big East/AAC.

*for those of us in the room, we all remember the look on Greg’s face when he thought it was happening and how he would use it to his advantage

Mario Cristobal purportedly overcame his past bad record as a head coach at FIU, establishing a 35-13 W-L Record (23-9) in conference over 4 years. In the last 3 years, he had his team finish 1st, 2nd and 1st in his division and got his team to two Rose Bowls.

Greg is 8-13 (5-13 in conference over 2 years). He makes more than Locksley (based on published numbers). Tom Allen at Indiana renogiated his deal in March 21, and at the time: was "24-22 at Indiana with consecutive bowl appearances, a 14-7 record since 2019, and a No. 12 AP poll finish last season."

Results matter. Yeah, Oregon is an easier job and was not a rebuild. But looks at RU's true peers in the B1G lower level and tell me Greg deserves more for the results to date.

Most, importantly, we apparently don't have billion dollar donors who get a more inflated sense of self importance lampooning as minor league sports owners ready to throw money at a head coach of our football team.

Good post.

Sure Oregon was an easier job. But GS chose to accept his current contract knowing full well the difficulties that come with this job. If he felt he was worth more before demonstrating results, he should've negotiated a better contract.

I wouldn't object to increasing his assistants budget. I wouldn't object to increasing his bonus pay. I would object to increasing his annual pay or length of contract at just this time.

Good post.

Sure Oregon was an easier job. But GS chose to accept his current contract knowing full well the difficulties that come with this job. If he felt he was worth more before demonstrating results, he should've negotiated a better contract.

I wouldn't object to increasing his assistants budget. I wouldn't object to increasing his bonus pay. I would object to increasing his annual pay or length of contract at just this time.
Fully agree, and think he attempted to negotiate a "better" contract. However, that may have been more about commitment to facilities improvements than pay for himself.

He got paid $1.3 million per win last year and $800,000 per win this year. He's fairly compensated for the performance.

Reactions: Caliknight
It will be interesting to see how 2.0 does compared to 1.0 in certain aspects.

For one, as I mentioned earlier either in this thread or another, just as @1984 said…things changed as the Big East got a little easier on the field. But at the same time got a little harder to “sell” because of those changes. I’m sure conference instability was one of the things used against us by our recruiting opponents (“Why would you pick Rutgers? Those guys play nobody.”) back then.

For 2.0 it’s the reverse…harder on the field but an easier sell as the *B1G > Big East/AAC.

*for those of us in the room, we all remember the look on Greg’s face when he thought it was happening and how he would use it to his advantage
And to be clear. I am not poo pooing his accomplishments. I'm pointing out how much more difficult it will be to win even 9, much less 10 with this as Division and only 3 ooc games.
I still say the B1G is costing at least 1 more team a bowl each year. Rutgers this year perhaps.

There are no exceptions. You might think there are but there aren’t. ADs making bad hires doesn’t make this an exception it just means make better hires.

Also it’s not cheap skate, it’s having financial sanity which is important for a school with less resources.
Less resources ? We are in the friggen BIG Ten! If we are gonna go the less resource route , leave the league and go to the Patriot league

Given what we did with CVS, expect RU to do the dumbest thing possible…Especially if Hobbs is still around
CVS is a Hall of Fame coach. Give her credit for coming here. It might be Rutgers, not her. For hoops, it’s like Rutgers men’s hoops landing Bob Huggins or Al McGuire as head coach. Or football landing someone like Bobby Bowden or Bill Snyder.

And to be clear. I am not poo pooing his accomplishments. I'm pointing out how much more difficult it will be to win even 9, much less 10 with this as Division and only 3 ooc games.
I still say the B1G is costing at least 1 more team a bowl each year. Rutgers this year perhaps.
If they go down to 8 games (which I am not a fan) that part could change.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
You don't make the rules either and GS hasn't done anything to warrant going crazy over his contract. Even if he did it for a year I'd say the same. It's also easy to say pay him money on the back of an AD that's not financially hefty in comparison to others out there...OPM.

Their job is to hire coaches, if they can't do it that doesn't mean go cuckoo on crazy coaching salaries. SomehowCincy has hired multiples coaches, under different ADs no less, that have done okay to very well for the most part. Same for Temple, a school that was actually thrown out of the BE. UCF has done similar. RU isn't any exception to anything. Utah State just hired Blake Anderson and last year had 1 win and mess left behind. This year 9-3 and just beat SDSU in the MWC title game. Jonathan
Smith over 4 years finally got them to a bowl 7-5, first time since 2013. 6 years 22.6M new contract...fairly reasonable. So don't think we're some exception and things can't be done in difficult situations. You don't have to go nuts financially to reach respectable results.

Financial sanity when you don't have a lot isn't a rule to be broken or not, it's common sense. You take a best case scenario and then school is left holding the bag if things don't work. I take who knows what the hell will happen scenario and allow for the school to be able to deal with it financially in any circumstance.
Not yet, but when he delivers a 10 win season, he would deserve a boost. You have to look at the Big Ten comps and see what the market is dictating:

James Franklin: 10 Years, $85M
Mel Tucker: 10 Years, $95M
Ryan Day: 7.6M
Jim Harbaugh. 4.4M + Incentives
Tom Allen 4.3M; gets increase of 200K per year
Mike Locksley 2.5M+ Incentives

This will be a pleasant problem to have, because the adjustment will be necessary only if GS succeeds here. If he isn't, no one is going to offer him more than he's making now.
I’m expecting success, and want us to be prepared when that happens.

Not yet, but when he delivers a 10 win season, he would deserve a boost. You have to look at the Big Ten comps and see what the market is dictating:

Sure deserves a boost and IMO that should be along the lines of that blueprint I mentioned above. A one time big bonus for that year. His salary is 4M, give a 3M bonus or whatever for that 10 win season. I'm good with that. I don't want yearly obligations without yearly results. Paying for productivity is fine with me but I don't want to lock in long term obligations without accompanying yearly productivity. Consistency is what we want not just 1 -2 year blips. Big financial obligations of 5-10 years off 1-2 year results isn't smart business. There has to be an out if things don't work out, especially for a school without deep pockets.

Off the top of my head 2 examples come to mind.

Mike London at UVA. They gave him an extension after that 8 win season and then what happened after. They had to keep him longer than they wanted because of that extension too.

2010Virginia4–81–7T–5th (Coastal)
2011Virginia8–55–3T–2nd (Coastal)L Chick-fil-A
2012Virginia4–82–66th (Coastal)
2013Virginia2–100–87th (Coastal)
2014Virginia5–73–57th (Coastal)
2015Virginia4–83–56th (Coastal)

Mike MacIntyre at Colorado is another one. Breakout year at 10 wins and then what after. Got a extension and raise after that season and fired 2 years later.

2013Colorado4–81–86th (South)
2014Colorado2–100–96th (South)
2015Colorado4–91–86th (South)
2016Colorado10–48–11st (South)L Alamo1517
2017Colorado5–72–76th (South)
2018Colorado5–62–66th (South)

Tell you what...when GS delivers 10 wins, we'll talk. He's got 6 years to do it. Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'd be more surprised to see one 10-win season in that span than zero.

Only my opinion, but when the recruiting machine ramps up and coach gets the "right" players here....I dont see why he cant win 8-10 games a year. That's winning a soft out of conference schedule and going 500 in conference. I think too many here are too negative. That is not much to ask for, once coach has his types of guys here.

Only my opinion, but when the recruiting machine keeps ramping up and coach gets the "right" players here....I dont see why he cant win 8-10 games a year. That winning a soft out of conference schedule and going 500 in conference. I think too many here are too negative. That is not much to ask for once he has his type of guys here.
I agree with 8. Not with 10.

Putting rutgersal on "reality alert". 9-3 ain't happening next year and has about a 5% chance of happening in 2023. 10-2, meaning beating 2 out of the 4 powers in the Big 10 East and going 8-0 on the rest of the schedule, ain't happening for the forseeable future.

If recruiting stays at the current level, 9-10 wins could absolutely be a reality in 3-4 years.

It's not that hard to understand. In the aggregate, recruiting rankings are the most highly correlated and reliable leading indicator of whether or not a cfb football program will see success or failure.

come on use your imagination :-).
I'm really trying. My expectation is that we become a team that wins 7-9 games almost every year. When things align perfectly, we can hit 10, but not at all regularly. I see a ceiling of Michigan State for us. And I'd be happy with that.

If recruiting stays at the current level, 9-10 wins could absolutely be a reality in 3-4 years.

It's not that hard to understand. In the aggregate, recruiting rankings are the most highly correlated and reliable leading indicator of whether or not a cfb football program will see success or failure.
Not happening, never. 9 or 10 win seasons on a regular basis mean going undefeated with our OOC schedule every year, winning our cross division games, and beating Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan State every year. Then you would still have to beat OSU, Michigan, or PSU just to get to 10. The other programs in our division/conference have their state populations and state politicians backing them as a result they have a blank check to win. There is absolutely no history for that type of support in the state of NJ, and that is not changing even if we have some winning seasons. We have heard this all before, when we entered the B1G this was the mantra, now we are in the big time the people in this state will rally around us, we will beat Maryland, Indiana, Michigan State every year and in a few years we will own Penn State as well. . . .

I think Schiano can and will have the same kind of success this guy did.
I also think he would prefer his new football training facility over more money any day.

Reactions: rutgersal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT