Match Thread: Midlands Tourney, mat assignments & comments:

Team Season Team Abbr Count Points
1 Iowa, IA Iowa, IA (GET) IOWA 14 156.5
2 Rutgers, NJ Rutgers, NJ (GET) RUT 15 109.5
3 Central Michigan, MI Central Michigan, MI (GET) CMU 11 108.0
4 Arizona State, AZ Arizona State, AZ (GET) ASU 14 106.5
5 South Dakota State, SD South Dakota State, SD (GET) SDSU 14 99.0

Reactions: ruready07
When was the last time Iowa did NOT win Midlands as a team? Still I'm absolutely thrilled to finish 2nd as a team. JVB was brilliant in Day 2.

JVB wins 9-6 . way to go !
what great wrestle back.....
SMH if anyone is happy shame on you. With the exception of JVB wrestling back for 3/4. Need I say more. We have work to do for March.
check out last years results, and team score,,,,,,sure you cann't be elated...but, step back, and give these kids some credit
gotta love the effort here...great job by the boys, and he coaching staff

Reactions: koleszar
My guess is JVB got about a quarter of those points with his bonus wins and pins all by himself ...way to go RU ..that’s how it’s done ...we needed three 3rd place wins and got them ...how anyone doesn’t see what RU just did is a hater ..plain and simple

JVB and Nick obviously take home OW awards for Rutgers this weekend. Disappointed in Scotty, feel for Nicky, and I think when Richie Lewis acclimates completely to 165, he will become more of a force.

Hope the team heals up after this, specifically MVB and Gravina.

Ohio St. up next at home!

Impressive performance by RU in the wrestlebacks, especially JVB! Hats off to the coaches on beating an excellent Arizona State team (& CMU)... Stay home, Nicky Raimo!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Impressive performance by RU in the wrestlebacks, especially JVB! Hats off to the coaches on beating an excellent Arizona State team (& CMU)... Stay home, Nicky Raimo!

With names like Nick Gravina and Nick Suriano on the team, why would Nick Raimo not want to be a part of this team? :smiley:

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyRutgers
My guess is JVB got about a quarter of those points with his bonus wins and pins all by himself ...way to go RU ..that’s how it’s done ...we needed three 3rd place wins and got them ...how anyone doesn’t see what RU just did is a hater ..plain and simple

Here are the point totals for RU
Suriano-24
JVB-23
Del-16.5
RL-15.5
Gravina-10.5
MVB-6
Deluca-6
Pagano-5
Mulligan-2
Gross-1

Total 109.5

I wonder if finishing 2nd will help our ‘tournament ‘ ranking? Since the ranking is based on individual performances , then probably not.
Guess we find out Tuesday.

I wonder if finishing 2nd will help our ‘tournament ‘ ranking? Since the ranking is based on individual performances , then probably not.
Guess we find out Tuesday.
We currently sit at #17. That's way too low for this squad. With these results we should move past Wisconsin and S. Dakota St.. Possibly N. Iowa and Illinios. We should be ranked somewhere around #11 Arizona St.. IMO we probably rise somewhere to #13 or 14.

Did anyone happen to notice Marinelli chirping at Lewis after their match? Anyone know what was being said?

The Midlands field was extremely weak, especially when Imar didn't go for Illinois, in terms of teams and individuals. It would have been interesting to see how Lehigh would have done, for example. There was one borderline top 10 team (Iowa) and then some 15-20 place teams, so I don't how much you can glean from the tournament.

One thing you can glean is that Arizona State is not doing much with the talent they have brought in (with the exception of Zahid) and would have to viewed, imo, as a disappointing team under Zeke Jones, given the #1 recruiting class he had a few years ago. Intermat had them at 9 and SDState as 11 with CMU at 20. I think ASU and SDSU will slide a lot after Midlands. I think both were exposed as one-guy teams.

JVB was a very pleasant surprise in the number of points he garnered. Those kind of performances are needed and he really delivered.

Midlands was pretty uninspiring, but, frankly, the Southern Scuffle has lost some of its luster also. The South Beach duals took away Minnesota, Missouri and Cornell (Minnesota dropping to North Carolina was a bit of a jolt). The holiday schedule, with more places to go, is diluting the fields all over - especially with OkState and NCState deciding to take a vacation in Italy instead of a holiday tourney.

DeLuca did not make weight on day 2. Barely over, but 3 ounces is treated like 20 pounds over. Hence FF, mot MFF on bracket sheets (forced forfeit v medical forced forfeit).

This is a shame because the kid had a podium chance on day 2. Him and Lewis are both a little left of center.

One match at the Scuffle I hope to see is Darien Cruz vs Daton Fix. Cruz hasn’t seen much tough competition this year, while the redshirt frosh sensation Fix, Ok St, beat Bressner recently, and Bressner beat Spencer Lee yesterday.

I’ve been asking that for two days not ..it said FF yesterday not MFF which is medical forfeit ..what happened that he just forfeited ..did he misss weight ?

Look up about 5 posts ^ and you will find your answer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT