ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling MATCH THREAD: Rutgers Wrestling vs. No. 2 Michigan

Injury timeout, as Colucci is down holding that injured knee that kept him sidelined in 2020

I have a feeling it's going to take him a little while to get used to 197. Same as Pagano last year. I thought no way is Pagano going to be able to do this, then he got used to the weight and was off to the races.
For what it’s worth he wasn’t a high scoring guy at 184. Usually just wears guys down and wins 2-1, 3-2 matches.

I have a feeling it's going to take him a little while to get used to 197. Same as Pagano last year. I thought no way is Pagano going to be able to do this, then he got used to the weight and was off to the races.

I hope that's true but he was never a high scoring guy to begin with. He was the grinder, who wears down people.

Parris leading 7-1 heading into the second period.

Parris going on defense

Hopefully everyone is a full go for that Michigan vs Iowa dual at the end of January. That would be an absolute electric matchup.

I know this match was not fun, but this is the possible national champs or runner-ups. Not exactly a favorable opening match. Of course, multiple things to complain about on the individual standpoint. However, this was expected to be ugly

Stunning statement by announcers. Iowa Hawkeyes ten wrestlers ranked in Top 8 in every weight. Imagine that.

Parris closes out the dual with a dominant 10-3 win.

Michigan comes out on top 25-10

I know this match was not fun, but this is the possible national champs or runner-ups. Not exactly a favorable opening match. Of course, multiple things to complain about on the individual standpoint. However, this was expected to be ugly
I'm pretty sure we're going to be echoing this sentiment for the next two weeks.

Good for collucci. I think he just got a little scared with his knee. I think the scoreboard messed up. Was that a major? Either way, good job keeping it closer than expected.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Parris closes out the dual with a dominant 10-3 win.

Michigan comes out on top 25-10
I didn't see that as a dominant win Lex. I think Colucci was just a little scared, and didn't open up like he should have. Yes Parris is a beast, but Colucci got in him twice. Remember Parris pummeled the Iowa heavyweight last year. If Colucci could get in better position, and wrestle a little bit more aggressive, he's got a good shot of getting on the podium. Love what I saw from van brill, Poz, and sea bass tonight. I think vanbrill got stuffed out of those back points. That takedown defense by Poz come up was nothing I've ever seen before. That was amazing. I know Seabass was disappointed not getting a major but that kids a potential All-American

I'm pretty sure we're going to be echoing this sentiment for the next two weeks.

Yeah it doesn't help that we more than likely have the most difficult January schedule in the country.

Yeah it doesn't help that we more than likely have the most difficult January schedule in the country.
Hey maybe next year the B1G can start us off with #1, #2, #3 and #7 instead of just measly #2, #3, #7. You know that old saying you've got to beat the best to be the best. What everyone leaves out is, confidence takes a huge hit if you're not the absolute best. I just hope these kids don't get too beat down mentally.

poznanski seems like quick wrestler for a 184. Looking forward to watching his career.

the B1G is a beast of a conference

Goodale in press conference
-MVB cannot rush those single legs. Has to finish and take advantage of opportunities
-He has not yet spoken to Nic Aguilar, and is not sure what he will say to him. However, no matter how good of a freshman Ragusin is, that cannot happen
-Pleased with Poz's debut, but wants to see him close out matches with scoring, not sit on a lead

I mean no disrespect to Donner when I say this but I have no idea how we don’t have anybody better. Donner is a great room guy and was recruited for depth. Im not sure how he ends up as a 2 year big 10 starter. I guess because of the Glasgow debacle.
Glasgow was a 157 pounder I thought.

Hey maybe next year the B1G can start us off with #1, #2, #3 and #7 instead of just measly #2, #3, #7. You know that old saying you've got to beat the best to be the best. What everyone leaves out is, confidence takes a huge hit if you're not the absolute best. I just hope these kids don't get too beat down mentally.

For sure. And it sucks, because we will fall in the rankings while other teams ranked around us especially in other conferences will beat nobodies and move up. Not that it matters but it definitely impacts confidence, perception, etc.

Reactions: koleszar
I am a little worried about Colucci's knee. I think he gutted that match out, but to me that looked like he might miss some time.
If it's hurt or bothering him let him sit out till the 29th. It's not like we have a prayer anyway. I know duals aren't really important, but it's good for the kids and perception to win a few of these.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
MVB got screwed on the back points or he would have won. The ref was too slow getting over to count the backs. They should have seen that on reply but were too much pussies to overturn it.

MVB got screwed on the back points or he would have won. The ref was too slow getting over to count the backs. They should have seen that on reply but were too much pussies to overturn it.
I always thought having refs who make the call go over and review their own call was idiotic. Should be a third ref who does reviews. Nobody wants to admit mistakes especially refs it's just human nature.

Extra Matches
141-Nolan over Firestone3-1
149-Lombard over Gapas 14-1
149 Angelo over Cole Mattin 9-6
157-Mayora over Harrison 8-2
165-Van Anrooy over O'Neill 5-3
174-Maylor over Turley 7-5
197-Correll over Epperly 15-2
Hwt-Esposito over Ready 4-3

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Extra Matches
Damn even their backups thrashed our backups. We went 5 and 13 overall.

I didn't see that as a dominant win Lex. I think Colucci was just a little scared, and didn't open up like he should have. Yes Parris is a beast, but Colucci got in him twice. Remember Parris pummeled the Iowa heavyweight last year. If Colucci could get in better position, and wrestle a little bit more aggressive, he's got a good shot of getting on the podium. Love what I saw from van brill, Poz, and sea bass tonight. I think vanbrill got stuffed out of those back points. That takedown defense by Poz come up was nothing I've ever seen before. That was amazing. I know Seabass was disappointed not getting a major but that kids a potential All-American
When I say dominant, I see it a bit differently than some. I agree, Christian wrestled a tough match. I am really happy to see him back, and I think he will bring a lot of value being in the linupe this season. However, there are some matches where you never feel one wrestler gives up control, regardless of pace and score, and for me, that was Parris. Similar to Billy Janzer's match. Billy was one score away from giving up an upset at most times, but I never felt like Billy lost control, despite the scoreboard indicating it was tight.

When I say dominant, I see it a bit differently than some. I agree, Christian wrestled a tough match. I am really happy to see him back, and I think he will bring a lot of value being in the linupe this season. However, there are some matches where you never feel one wrestler gives up control, regardless of pace and score, and for me, that was Parris. Similar to Billy Janzer's match. Billy was one score away from giving up an upset at most times, but I never felt like Billy lost control, despite the scoreboard indicating it was tight.
How come Aragona didn’t wrestle?

Extra Matches

Disappointed in those results for O'Neill and Turley, everything else is as expected. We need them to be CONSIDERABLY better than those types of guys as they are potentially impact/starters on this team. Also, their opponents were below average at best. It's only one match, but it's relatively concerning.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT