ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling MATCH THREAD: Rutgers Wrestling vs. No. 2 Michigan

MVB got screwed on the back points or he would have won. The ref was too slow getting over to count the backs. They should have seen that on reply but were too much pussies to overturn it.
My only frustration with the MVB match was the OT 30 second ride outs. MVB has to be smarter there. It’s only 30 seconds so have to be conservative and not ride high and to the side with the near leg in. One not two in that situation. In a full 2 minute period starting on top he can take more risk just not there. To me that’s on the coaches. Have to be better in situational wrestling. On a positive note MVB looked much improved on bottom.

I like this new Van Brill seems last year's end run has carried over thus far.

He was very solid on defense. Offense lacked the skills he will need to become one of the better wrestlers in the nation.

Massa scores on a single leg, extending his lead to 8-3

On a few, it seems Massa hardly tried and Grello easily gave the takedown to him. This has not changed from last year.

Mazza's an animal just toyed with Joe at the end.

There was not much fight left. This isnt what you want to see in a veteran leader of the team. If that is the effort going forward, put Turley in and develop him.

Please forgive my ignorance in the sport of wrestling at this level.
But how are we ranked so high without Suriano, and outside of Rivera and Janzer (if he wrestles) a bunch of 500 career wrestlers?
Poznanski is impressive as I type this

The B1G is stacked with elite wrestlers and teams it's not even funny.

Wow Poz is athletic

I was impressed with his strength, technicality and positional awareness. Very hard to teach the technicality an mat awareness and many before him tonight fared poorly in that respect.

Parris closes out the dual with a dominant 10-3 win.
Michigan comes out on top 25-10

Parris was expected to crush Colluci, he came out with only a decision. This was a well fought match by Colluci coming off a major knee injury. Hardly anyone would have predicted this result. Solid effort for Christian.

My only frustration with the MVB match was the OT 30 second ride outs. MVB has to be smarter there. It’s only 30 seconds so have to be conservative and not ride high and to the side with the near leg in. One not two in that situation. In a full 2 minute period starting on top he can take more risk just not there. To me that’s on the coaches. Have to be better in situational wrestling. On a positive note MVB looked much improved on bottom.

Again, mat awareness and technical execution. MVB should have won this match but was bested in those two skills. I was impressed with his effort tonight. Great defense but extremely hard to win without an effective offense.

Overall I'm happy with Rivera, MBV, Kinnard (wrestled real tough and showed the fight to score, which is lacking in some of the starters), Poz, Janzer somewhat, and Colluci. We were sorely overmatched even though they had two studs out of the lineup. It's the difference between #2 and #10 in the nation.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I was pleased to see Sngelo with a nice win over Cole Mattin. He is a good opponent

I have mixed feelings about that approach. I do like how MVB wasn’t settling for a ride out because it shows that he’s still wrestling hard and aggressive, always trying to win. Did he have a stall? I don’t remember, but that could also have something to do with it.

At the same time though, he was riding tough in the 2nd period for a decent amount of time before a sloppy tilt led to a reversal. In other words, MVB didn’t give him an escape the entire match. He definitely could have rode Storr out for the full 30

I have mixed feelings about that approach. I do like how MVB wasn’t settling for a ride out because it shows that he’s still wrestling hard and aggressive, always trying to win. Did he have a stall? I don’t remember, but that could also have something to do with it.

At the same time though, he was riding tough in the 2nd period for a decent amount of time before a sloppy tilt led to a reversal. In other words, MVB didn’t give him an escape the entire match. He definitely could have rode Storr out for the full 30
I’m not sure I understand what you are saying. I was saying in the ot, ride the guy out for 30 (MVB was on top first) then when you are on bottom, escape and win. If you think he could have rode him for 30 then you are making my point. Bad strategy. Worst case scenario, MVB doesn’t escape and they go back on their feet for another ot period. What was the strategic benefit of taking extra risk in the first 30 second OT (he gave up 2 instead of one) when he was on top?

Going for the standing cradle instead of finishing the single conventional was a very low percentage move especially at the collegiate level.

Michigan just beat Maryland 38-3 and Illinois crushed Indiana 39-3

Looking at the schedule there is a clear breakdown/split between matches.

Going to be ugly:
Michigan
Penn State
OSU
Nebraska

Should Dominate:
Maryland
Indiana

Toss Ups/Should be Competitive:
Michigan State
Purdue
Minnesota

Granted most of our toss ups are in a tri meet so who knows what the lineups will be for each teams, especially RU so the results could vary wildly depending on what happens in that regard.

Everyone needs to brave themselves for an ugly team record this year especially with the tough dual schedule (UM, PSU, and OSU) and then a tri & quad meet with a team that doesn't have a lot of depth and we know some of the top guys are going to get some breaks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT