ADVERTISEMENT

Mathis

Why did we stop looking for Mathis when he had the hot hand shooting. Team is just selfish altogether

Reactions: ricdrul
Why are you obsessed with my posts? Just wondering. I guess you think Mathis is doing a great job.
Similar to football. You only post when things aren’t going well. Where were you posting when we were 3-0 in the BIG. Where were yoirnposts posts after Syracuse or Maryland or Illinois.
I like you nervous Lou. Your a nervous guy. I get it.

Mathis 5-5 from 3 then the next game starts 2-2, to the most recent OSU game did he even have 1 play drawn to get him open? Either (1) bad coaching for not drawing up plays and calling them to ride the hot hand, or (2) bad coaching because players don’t listen when you do call the play

Why did we stop looking for Mathis when he had the hot hand shooting. Team is just selfish altogether

Because defenders have stopped helping on drives, allowing Young to shoot and not giving open looks for kickouts. Mathis hasn't had nearly as many open looks from the arc the last two games... nor has anyone else.

Our offense needs to adapt to this style of defense, getting into the mid-range, using interior passing, and continuing to share and move the ball.

Because defenders have stopped helping on drives, allowing Young to shoot and not giving open looks for kickouts. Mathis hasn't had nearly as many open looks from the arc the last two games... nor has anyone else.

Our offense needs to adapt to this style of defense, getting into the mid-range, using interior passing, and continuing to share and move the ball.
Baker and Harper are our best mid-range shooters. Need healthy ankles to create and get into those spots and lift.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
We have become too predictable. Opponents have figured us out. Do we even have any set plays?

Reactions: ricdrul
We have become too predictable. Opponents have figured us out. Do we even have any set plays?

My guess is that this is the issue. The time off will go a long way to both getting us healthy and adjusting to the way teams are now playing us. It's a long season.

I’d like to see Mathis pull up and shoot a 7-10 footer as opposed to always taking it to the hole. Make the defense think and guess what you are going to do as opposed to always knowing.

I’d like to see Mathis pull up and shoot a 7-10 footer as opposed to always taking it to the hole. Make the defense think and guess what you are going to do as opposed to always knowing.

This

Whether people think the OP is unfairly bitching he has a great point

Mathis has been well scouted. Constant stuffing tripled team yet they know he will keep doing it because Myles or anyone else won't be dished to

Does he ever kick it outside on his drives like Young does? Never seems to iirc. A proper scouting report would indicate it is safe to leave your man to go help on a Mathis drive.
Exactly. I started re-watching the game and, on the very first play, Mathis drives and is triple teamed with Geo's man hedging toward Mathis. Geo was at the 3 pt line. Mathis needed to pass to Geo. Instead, Mathis was stuffed. Mathis has some skills and is active defensively, but he has always needed to improve his decision making on offense.

Reactions: RU MAN
This

Whether people think the OP is unfairly bitching he has a great point

Mathis has been well scouted. Constant stuffing tripled team yet they know he will keep doing it because Myles or anyone else won't be dished to
Mathis has a nice floater game but he hasn’t used it the last few games ; opting for getting stuffed by the trees instead for some reason. Not sure why he’s gotten away from his floater . On the other hand , he’s not a pull up shooter at all, especially not to his left or right .

Reactions: cm_13
Mathis has a nice floater game but he hasn’t used it the last few games ; opting for getting stuffed by the trees instead for some reason. Not sure why he’s gotten away from his floater . On the other hand , he’s not a pull up shooter at all, especially not to his left or right .
Yep. He’s always been a slasher but he used to throw in the soft floater instead of always looking for contact at the rim. That’s been absent of late.

Exactly. I started re-watching the game and, on the very first play, Mathis drives and is triple teamed with Geo's man hedging toward Mathis. Geo was at the 3 pt line. Mathis needed to pass to Geo. Instead, Mathis was stuffed. Mathis has some skills and is active defensively, but he has always needed to improve his decision making on offense.
I this happened early last year and then Mathis saw the bench and really improved when he came in. Last year we had very shy shooters and at times we needed Young and Mathis to come in and jump-start the offense forcing the ball to the rim. That was paired with some tight aggressive D by both of them. They were the reason we got excited last year.

I just don't understand how Mathis could start that game with that kind of move. It is insane and not any fun to watch. Then, I get treated to see PM, usually a fairly smart player.. if too shy to take open shots.. he goes nuts making reckless passes that yield zero advantage.

Early this season we saw players set their feet early as they were getting the pass in order to shoot. That doesn't even happen anymore.

Drive to dish.. take open shots.. open threes.. if we miss a lot of them i can live with that more than throwing the ball away or getting stuffed for no reason.

Mathis is playing worse because Pike has changed when his minutes come and who they come with. He is playing a lot more minutes with Paul and McConnell and the offense just does NOT work because those 3 do not compliment each other.

I’ve also noticed that the team in general, and in turn Mathis maybe a bit moreso, is taking a larger percentage of 3PA in end of shot clock situations which have not been good opportunities. When we are winning we take a fair bit more 3PAs earlier in the shot clock. We’ve been passing them up, Geo more than most, and I have a hunch though it is only a guess, that Pike prefers it this way.

Anyone who thinks the Izzo game plan wasn’t analyzed and employed by the rest of the league coaches is sadly mistaken.
Every team in the BiG has enough talent to do so.
Until Pike comes up with a game plan to counteract it, the results won’t change.
MSU was the first game of no open looks from 3 and it’s continued on, our guys can’t get separation, all our 3s are difficult shots, except for a handful from Paul, who coaches rightfully know they don’t have to defend

Zap you are spot on. The disappointing thing is that Pike has not made much adjustment at all in running the offense. Continuing to run into a brickwall while the opponents have caught on isnt a good strategy. Neither is just saying oh the shots will eventually fall. I see that excuse being used alot here...oh we wont shoot that bad every night....???? that is rather odd analysis..one night its the shooting, the next its defense, the next its turnovers. Right now the team is in need of a coffee enema. There are multiple problems across the board and with almost every player. Sometime a shakeup is needed and its Pikes job to fix things.

Zap you are spot on. The disappointing thing is that Pike has not made much adjustment at all in running the offense. Continuing to run into a brickwall while the opponents have caught on isnt a good strategy. Neither is just saying oh the shots will eventually fall. I see that excuse being used alot here...oh we wont shoot that bad every night....???? that is rather odd analysis..one night its the shooting, the next its defense, the next its turnovers. Right now the team is in need of a coffee enema. There are multiple problems across the board and with almost every player. Sometime a shakeup is needed and its Pikes job to fix things.
The next time you see a wide open timed up, step in 3 point shot taken by anyone other than Paul since MSU will be the first

How soon we forget the guy carrried us against Purdue. Now I am reading how great a coach the Purdue coach is when we beat them with 6 players and Geo was still Gimpy.

This is a game of streaks. We need to be more consistent and our health and now depth will help that more than any post we can write on this board.

Is Matthis losing minutes to MacConnell? Has his role changed as a result? Thanks. $$$$

Anyone who thinks the Izzo game plan wasn’t analyzed and employed by the rest of the league coaches is sadly mistaken.
Every team in the BiG has enough talent to do so.
Until Pike comes up with a game plan to counteract it, the results won’t change.
MSU was the first game of no open looks from 3 and it’s continued on, our guys can’t get separation, all our 3s are difficult shots, except for a handful from Paul, who coaches rightfully know they don’t have to defend
This is spot on and Pike hasn’t gotten his team to adjust and take more mid range attempts, which is what is available against this defensive approach. Pike insists his guys must get to the rim. It’s like that approach has been indelibly burned into Montez Mathis head and the kid is getting destroyed at the rim. Plus he can’t make a foul shot and thus has been ineffective. Montez can make the mid range floater and Geo and Ron do have a mid range game. So does McConnell, but Pike is stubborn and insists on attacking the rim at any cost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT