ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Matt Henrich of Southern has decommitted

Not great news on the wrestling front recently... need something positive soon. It's not a huge loss in the grand scheme of things. I know he was a state champ, but he wasn't dominant offensively especially against top competition so I don't know how well that translates at the next level. I'm guessing he was looking for or expecting more money, but hopefully we were able to reallocate it elsewhere more impactful.

It sucks to lose NJ state champs and he'll probably be a 2xer, especially in this type of fashion where his crazy uncle seems to be attacking the coaching staff pubically and we can't do anything to defend ourselves.

Not great news on the wrestling front recently... need something positive soon. It's not a huge loss in the grand scheme of things. I know he was a state champ, but he wasn't dominant offensively especially against top competition so I don't know how well that translates at the next level. I'm guessing he was looking for or expecting more money, but hopefully we were able to reallocate it elsewhere more impactful.

It sucks to lose NJ state champs and he'll probably be a 2xer, especially in this type of fashion where his crazy uncle seems to be attacking the coaching staff pubically and we can't do anything to defend ourselves.
If it was between him and Angelo Ferarri type for funding, it's not even a question who we need more. If that's the case then I'm totally fine with it. We def need someone who can put up points.

Reactions: KidDagger
If it was between him and Angelo Ferarri type for funding, it's not even a question who we need more. If that's the case then I'm totally fine with it. We def need someone who can put up points.
Exactly.. we are seeing one side of the coin right now but this could very easily be an extremely net positive for us but we need the other shoe to drop so it's not just all negative news

I doubt it’s Ferrari. That family loves the spotlight and will break the news publicly either before it gets leaked or immediately after.

• Haha
Reactions: njsportsphan
This is unfortunate. He was a good recruit. Let’s just hope this is about someone else coming in and not sone other reason. We’ve been falling behind in recruiting battle and this was one of our strongest gets recently.

Nj champs are a dime a dozen in b10.. what we need are nationally ranked wrestlers to compete in a conference where everyone was 3x,4x champ highly nationally ranked coming out of hs.. Goodale mentioned massive change coming.. wonder if he was expecting losing Heinrich/Boone.. n wonder who/if we got someone coming in…

Probably best to see how this all plays out before trying to assess the situation. Obviously there are some bad feelings associated with this de-committ. I guess it depends on what was conveyed to him at the time of his commitment and what has transpired subsequently. Can't ask for much more from the kid since he won the state championship at his weight class.

Won a NJ title but was 5th at Powerade and is not ranked Nationally in top 20 at 152lbs. Never placed at Fargo . Some guys think they are Full Ride guys and might be for certain schools but probably not in the B1G unless you are ranked much higher and have Won/Placed high in some big National events

Last edited:
He will be ranked before he graduates most likely.
I hope he does but it won't be very high unless he really starts to shine in national tournaments which hasn't been the case thus far. Now he can certainly continue to develop and I hope he does but his problem so far is that he hasn't proven to be much of an offensive threat against non-causal wrestlers. Sure he pins a lot of these types of guys during the HS season, but even in the state tournament he only won his quarterfinal match up 3-2 against an unranked opponent. He won his semifinal in UTB 2-1 and then you see how it compares to what guys like Ruiz, Knox, Santaniello fare.... we've seen this story time and time again, it's extremely difficult to be effective in the college especially in the B1G if you can't score points. Olivieri was a much more heralded, successful, and dominant HS wrestler and you see how hard it is for him without that offensive arsenal.

This board is starting to sound like the football board where every time a NJ kid decomitts or chooses another school he is labeled as a bum, someone we didn't need, we could do better, we have someone waiting in the wings, etc., etc. You know the program is headed in the wrong direction once you start down that road.

This board is starting to sound like the football board where every time a NJ kid decomitts or chooses another school he is labeled as a bum, someone we didn't need, we could do better, we have someone waiting in the wings, etc., etc. You know the program is headed in the wrong direction once you start down that road.
No one is calling him a bum, just saying he doesn’t project to be an elite guy whether he was here or somewhere else

You nailed it, even if exaggerated a tad. All the usual characters are coming up with their own reasons and downplaying the impact. His uncle: shoot the messenger. Even if someone better comes in, don't forget all the calls for depth. This isn't a program that can afford to lose good recruits... or our best heavyweight.

Still think a lot are underselling Heinrich. He made big strides this year, yes he got 5th at Powerade, but he won the Escape the Rock. If he jumps another level next season and wins a 2nd state title and is nationally ranked, it will be pretty big loss.
Class of 2023 recruits-really no impact wrestlers
Class of 2024 recruits-Heinrich was the best prospect to date. The others are depth guys.
If we get Harer, yes he is ranked higher and projects better(plus will probably get his younger brother). We NEED to keep both of those wrestlers, they will not be in th room for over a year. Who knows what weight they will finally settle at. Now if it was Heinrich that said, if RU gets Harer, I am not coming, that is a different story. But so far it does not sound like that.
Either way loosing Boone-with nobody on the roster ready or good enough to step into the Hwt spot and loosing the best 2024 recruit it was a bad few days for the program.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You nailed it, even if exaggerated a tad. All the usual characters are coming up with their own reasons and downplaying the impact. His uncle: shoot the messenger. Even if someone better comes in, don't forget all the calls for depth. This isn't a program that can afford to lose good recruits... or our best heavyweight.
I’ll always choose star power over depth only bc we don’t have unlimited resources to be 3 NQ deep every weight and the way nationals is being scored.. think of it like a GM managing a pro sports team you can’t just grab.. everyone.. gotta build the best roster with the resources you got.. stinks we lost Henrich/Boone but we dunno the full story.. we can all agree tho that the program needed some change.

When and where mentioned?

“I’m pretty honest with myself and our staff and where we’re at and what we need to do," Goodale said in that interview in Tulsa. “We may need a little bit of an overhaul right now – not a total one.

“We’ve got some really good guys back at home. Shawver (Sophomore 125-pounder Dylan Shawver) and Poznanski (redshirt sophomore 184-pound John Poznanski, who was fourth in the country in 2021) have won matches here (at the national tournament).

“We’re going to bring some guys in. We’re going to get after it. I’m sure it will be a little bit different look, but we’re excited to do that and start that whole process. But, we do have a corps of guys that can compete and we’ll go from there.’’

NIL has ruin sports
The portal has become the free agent market for athletes
Until recruits sign their NLI they will always look for the best offer. It sounds like other coaches are offering him a scholarship package since he won NJ state title.

Ho
NIL has ruin sports
The portal has become the free agent market for athletes
Until recruits sign their NLI they will always look for the best offer. It sounds like other coaches are offering him a scholarship package since he won NJ state

So he decommited because he received other scholarship offers or because of NIL? The post by his family member makes it sound like neither of the two, and. Ore so if a misstep by Rutgers coaching. ?

It says he decommitted to open up his college recruitment and explore his options. He just won a state title, other colleges will contact him. I don't care what his Uncle said.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
It says he decommitted to open up his college recruitment and explore his options. He just won a state title, other colleges will contact him. I don't care what his Uncle said.

Yeah that’s what I read too.

But you said
1. NIL is ruining the sport
2. Other colleges are offering him scholarships.

Those two things are separate by the way. And both are seem to be more opinion.
His uncle also posted an opinion. But
that one isn’t valid…

Yeah that’s what I read too.

But you said
1. NIL is ruining the sport
2. Other colleges are offering him scholarships.

Those two things are separate by the way. And both are seem to be more opinion.
His uncle also posted an opinion. But
that one isn’t valid…
He didn’t say his opinion isn’t valid. He said he doesn’t care about it. Again, read the guys twitter history. He just likes to yell things.

Probably best to see how this all plays out before trying to assess the situation. Obviously there are some bad feelings associated with this de-committ. I guess it depends on what was conveyed to him at the time of his commitment and what has transpired subsequently. Can't ask for much more from the kid since he won the state championship at his weight class
Exactly. The speculations are interesting and hopefully we have some positive news coming soon versus head scratchers. Many of us have gotten used to the progression and success the program has achieved. After a step back this past year, I'd like to get back on the upward trend again.

Reactions: mikemessner
Ho

So he decommited because he received other scholarship offers or because of NIL? The post by his family member makes it sound like neither of the two, and. Ore so if a misstep by Rutgers coaching. ?
I didn't say he decommitted because of NIL. I said he he must be receiving calls/offers from colleges. Why else would he reopen his recruitment and explore his options. The young man just won a NJ state title. I hope he recommits to Rutgers.

You
I didn't say he decommitted because of NIL. I said he he must be receiving calls/offers from colleges. Why else would he reopen his recruitment and explore his options. The young man just won a NJ state title. I hope he recommits to Rutgers.
Uhhhh you think? Any recruit that is worth a salt is getting called by multiple colleges regularly until they sign their NLI and often times ever after.
But you originally started your reply by mentioning the NIL which was confusing
So we are on the same page. After RU finished 34th in the country 2 weeks ago, and he wasn’t getting the attention he wanted from the team it made sense for him to keep his options open and play the field.

You

Uhhhh you think? Any recruit that is worth a salt is getting called by multiple colleges regularly until they sign their NLI and often times ever after.
But you originally started your reply by mentioning the NIL which was confusing
NIL is ruining college sports.
The Portal has become the free agent market for athletes.
So we are on the same page. After RU finished 34th in the country 2 weeks ago, and he wasn’t getting the attention he wanted from the team it made sense for him to keep his options open and play the field.
How do you know he wasn't getting attention from Rutgers.

It was last week that Rutgers finished 34th in the country not two weeks ago.

When the staff returned from NCAA they probably started evaluating their team, looking at the portal and contacting recruits who haven't committed. I wouldn't think they had to call a wrestler who has committed already.

You are correct until wrestlers sign NLI, coaches will always try to flip recruits to their school.

Reactions: SCNJ and UnderHooks
Exactly.. we are seeing one side of the coin right now but this could very easily be an extremely net positive for us but we need the other shoe to drop so it's not just all negative news
My guess is a PA recruit… Hopefully soon…

My honest guess is that the decommit was under the impression he was the only guy coming in to compete at X weight class and that isn’t correct. That either was misunderstood or the coaching decision changed.

** Edit - Seems like I am WAY late to the conversation, as I saw the comments in the other thread and just listened to the podcast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT