ADVERTISEMENT

NJ & PA State Tournaments Thread

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
Seeds are coming out now.

RU recruits:
Kurt Wehner (SR) - #2 at 120 (Anthony Knox is #1)
Alex Nini (SR) - #1 at 144
Ryan Ford (SR) - #3 at 157 (Matt Henrich is #1 and Kage Jones is #2)
Jordan Chapman (JR) - #2 at 165 (Alessio Perentin is #1)

Potential RU recruits and people to keep an eye on (based on nothing more than my own thoughts):

• Killian Coluccio (FR) - #2 at 106 - currently at CBA which gives us a good shot given the current situation
  • Paul Kenny (FR) - #4 at 113 - at CBA and trains at Elite with the Riveras; wrestles with SKWC
  • Jayden James (SO) - #2 at 138 - pretty sure he wrestled with SKWC for a while (not sure if he still does) but is at Delbarton which makes it a tough pull
  • Sonny Amato (FR) - #2 at 144 - looks to be a stud and is coached by former RU wrestlers DelVecchio and Deluca which should keep us in the running. Interested in seeing how he does in a potential matchup with Nini in the finals
  • Brandon Toranzo (SR) - #2 at 285: maybe a potential late addition/walk-on with his brother here? no idea of his college plans

My champ predictions:

106 - #2 Coluccio
113 - #4 Kenny
120 - #1 Knox
126 - #2 DeGeorge
132 - #1 DeJesus
138 - #2 James
144 - #2 Amato
150 - #2 Logan
157 - #1 Henrich
165 - #1 Perentin
175 - #2 Cerchio
190 - #1 Ludington
215 - #2 Skove
285 - #1 Dellagatta

I think 215 is the most wide open weight class. 106 too in some ways. Everything else seems pretty cut and dry. Amato vs Nini finals 144 could be fun. Amato trains with Jack Zaleski, former Rutgers commit. Heard months ago that Amato was going to run through everyone to get a title this year.

And my usual shore bias has me with 7 shore champs but I don’t think that’s unreasonable

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Paul Kenny only won his first match 6-3, against the kid who replaced Logan Roman after his withdrawal. Not sure what happened but the kid he beat isn’t even a top 10 wrestler in the shore.

Paul Kenny only won his first match 6-3, against the kid who replaced Logan Roman after his withdrawal. Not sure what happened but the kid he beat isn’t even a top 10 wrestler in the shore.
Was a tough match the opponent put up a good fight. A win is a win

Reactions: elvis7 and MS-RU
Potential RU recruits and people to keep an eye on (based on nothing more than my own thoughts):

• Killian Coluccio (FR) - #2 at 106 - currently at CBA which gives us a good shot given the current situation
  • Paul Kenny (FR) - #4 at 113 - at CBA and trains at Elite with the Riveras; wrestles with SKWC
  • Jayden James (SO) - #2 at 138 - pretty sure he wrestled with SKWC for a while (not sure if he still does) but is at Delbarton which makes it a tough pull
  • Sonny Amato (FR) - #2 at 144 - looks to be a stud and is coached by former RU wrestlers DelVecchio and Deluca which should keep us in the running. Interested in seeing how he does in a potential matchup with Nini in the finals
  • Brandon Toranzo (SR) - #2 at 285: maybe a potential late addition/walk-on with his brother here? no idea of his college plans
Amato looked so dominant in his first match, color me impressed

Reactions: MS-RU
Just watched Clayton from Point Boro who is a freshman and MD'd his opponent. Gets Henrich next round. Wonder if he can keep it close, he did look tough.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Pretty sure there were only 2 upsets of single digit seeds in the 1st round and they both happened at 215. I could be wrong though.

Pretty sure there were only 2 upsets of single digit seeds in the 1st round and they both happened at 215. I could be wrong though.
I think there was one at 120 too.
(24) Kevin Rulan (Red Bank) d. (9) Armani McCann (Jackson Liberty), 4-3

Looks like the same kid beat the 8 seed in round 2 as well.

He only won 4-3 over another freshman in round 2

I think there was one at 120 too.
(24) Kevin Rulan (Red Bank) d. (9) Armani McCann (Jackson Liberty), 4-3

Looks like the same kid beat the 8 seed in round 2 as well.
Ruland is good, not surprised

Lost already. DiBiase from RBC is a very good wrestler, wrestled at Wall last year. Has a pretty wide open path to the finals as the 4 seed.
Question are programs like Wall really that down that they lose their best guy to a lower level private school? I can understand when a top guy decides to go to CBA or vianney but what is the benefit of going to a red bank catholic ?

1 seed @ 126 and 5 seed @ 132 were upset in round 2.
I see in the brackets he also beat the 4 seed by DQ how’d that happen?

Saw that! No idea what went down. Looks like the 1 seed had an injury default in the same bracket too.
He was DQ'd for either a headbutt or slam, both happened in the same sequence and Wacha's eye/forehead split open. 4 seed then gave the crowd the finger.

• Wow
Reactions: RUShea
Question are programs like Wall really that down that they lose their best guy to a lower level private school? I can understand when a top guy decides to go to CBA or vianney but what is the benefit of going to a red bank catholic ?
There really aren’t any great private programs in the shore. CBA is good now but had a lull for a while, historically they don’t stack up against the Delbartons and BC’s, though that might be changing. Vianney wasn’t great until Knox showed up. Peterson was really their only notable wrestler in their history up to that point. CBA definitely the best private team in the area and DiBiase wouldn’t be starting at 106 or 113 there.

The cultures at RBC and SJV are also different. RBC has more of a public feel to it than Vianney does. Hard to explain unless you know the ins and outs of the area.

Wall has Jason Nase as one of the coaches and for my money he’s the best assistant coach in the Shore and definitely better than the guys in the room at Vianney and RBC. Not sure why DiBiase left Wall. They’re down but it’s not like they’re terrible. Seems like it’s working out for him though.

There really aren’t any great private programs in the shore. CBA is good now but had a lull for a while, historically they don’t stack up against the Delbartons and BC’s, though that might be changing. Vianney wasn’t great until Knox showed up. Peterson was really their only notable wrestler in their history up to that point. CBA definitely the best private team in the area and DiBiase wouldn’t be starting at 106 or 113 there.

The cultures at RBC and SJV are also different. RBC has more of a public feel to it than Vianney does. Hard to explain unless you know the ins and outs of the area.

Wall has Jason Nase as one of the coaches and for my money he’s the best assistant coach in the Shore and definitely better than the guys in the room at Vianney and RBC. Not sure why DiBiase left Wall. They’re down but it’s not like they’re terrible. Seems like it’s working out for him though.
Yea I don’t know too much about the private school scene in the shore conference, they all werent great when I was in school, cba had a few good guys but that’s it , with the state of a lot of public school programs i hate seeing kids like Dibiase leave to go to low level privates , hell some of these private schools have back ups that could be SQ and state placers if they stayed home.couldn’t agree more about Nase , he is definitely a top flight coach

Reactions: SCNJ
One of the kids I was pulling for got screwed. Rode the crap put of his opponent with 20 seconds left only for the bottom guy to call injury time and regroup. Kid got the escape and won in ot.

That's one rule I love in college. The person gets choice after injury time. Should be a rule at every level.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasRC69
Wehner controls the entire match en route to a win by fall in the third period of QF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT