ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Mawot Mag commits to Rutgers

Nice try on the spin. But please get me some more 4 stars or at least a kid with an offer from a school we’ve actually heard of! Nothing against Mawot. I will root hard for,him as soon as he puts on the Scarlet!
It's happened over and over and over. You must not be paying attention

Anyone who is being honest with themselves has to be concerned about Pike’s recruiting this year. A brand new facility and we have three recruits with virtually no other offers from power six basketball conference teams. A major red flag and frankly inexplicable!

I agree with you but I wish people would quit expecting an uptick in recruiting from a new practice faculty. It is so insignificant in the scheme of things.

3 diamonds in the rough. Instead of the new practice facility RU should have built a jewelry store.

Reactions: Vegas pj
I agree with you but I wish people would quit expecting an uptick in recruiting from a new practice faculty. It is so insignificant in the scheme of things.

Maybe so, but I did not expect a downtick either. In each of the last 2 years Pike has gotten a 4-star recruit with significant offers. This year, none!

I am sick of guys who can’t shoot. I don’t give a f**k what someone’s rating is. If we continue to recruit to maximize rating points we will continue to live in the basement.

I am sick of guys who can’t shoot. I don’t give a f**k what someone’s rating is. If we continue to recruit to maximize rating points we will continue to live in the basement.
Supposedly all 3 can shoot the 3. The sweed has a really sweet looking stroke and shot I think 37% or so. Hear Mag can shoot it too. Would like to see actual shooting percentage numbers though instead of hearing people can shoot. At least we got some numbers on one

Would like to see stats this season. Any chance of a recruit watch segment with a summary of their performance each week?

I think most are concerned that these recruits were offered by lower level programs and one from none.

All of them are either starter or quality reserve level
On a sub-.500 team that has problems. Look at Geo in the box score last night - 5 turnovers and 1-5 for 3s. This is the team’s “star” who’s been a starter for 2 years? He’s been outplayed by guards from Bryant, Drexel and St. Bonnies. The other guys haven’t looked much better than the frosh and sophs on the low and mid majors that RU has been playing.

I believe that Pikiell can coach at a mid-B1G level. But he is still recruiting at the bottom of the B1G barrel.

I saw Prolific Prep play last week in Champaign. I’ll be honest in that I was there to watch Hawkins so I didn’t really notice this guy. The team has two five stars and three four stars on the team so it’s hard to stand out. Hawkins had 17 and 10. Nimari Burnett and Jalen Green, the five stars, were great.

If you want to see the team and your guy, Prolific Prep plays on espn 2 on December 5 at 8 CST.

On a sub-.500 team that has problems. Look at Geo in the box score last night - 5 turnovers and 1-5 for 3s. This is the team’s “star” who’s been a starter for 2 years? He’s been outplayed by guards from Bryant, Drexel and St. Bonnies. The other guys haven’t looked much better than the frosh and sophs on the low and mid majors that RU has been playing.

I believe that Pikiell can coach at a mid-B1G level. But he is still recruiting at the bottom of the B1G barrel.

No, the 5 you mentioned would be starters or quality reserves on most B1G teams.

Eugene already transferred to a Top 20 program and will see plenty of playing time next year

McConnell's game/height/savvy would be a highly sought after commodity in the B1G

Geo's leadership/versatility/history of clutch shots would make him an excellent rotational player on most B1G teams

Myles height/length/passing ability would make him at least a backup with potential to start on most B1G teams

Harper Jr's potential is still untapped. His leadership/versatility/shot making ability would make him a valuable rotational player/potential starter on most B1G teams

3 of the guys you mentioned are only sophomores

The team hasn't looked sharp for 40 minutes outside of Niagara, but there are very few unranked teams that are clicking right now.

I am confident on what I have been hearing about Mag and that's enough for me. But I was also confident on what I heard during the recruitments of McConnell, Myles Johnson and Geo Baker as well.

The position you are taking is fair....it would make everyone feel super excited if everyone recruited was a cant miss 4 star. I also think fans only judge recruiting based on how long they've heard about the player and who else has offered.

I was a little concerned about Mag getting away from RU once we landed Palmquist....I didn't expect to land him. But Mag is a player we don't have at this position that adds the physical toughness we need, while being a good all around player.

Fans asked for more players with shooting touch, who can knock down perimeter shots.....all 3 kids have that on their resumes.

I won't comment about Baker and what 78collegeave said here...the only thing is the sport isn't a 1 on 1 contest and RU had 4 players in double figures. It would be a very bad sign if we're expecting Baker to be the leading scorer every night and not have other players contribute.

The team could have Baker taking 17 shots, but the team was very limited in the 1st half of last season when the shot attempts were double digits for Baker and Eugene only. The scouting reports now have to account for more than just Baker now.

Last edited:
I know that stars and offers likely have a pretty high correlation particularly at the higher star ratings, but isn't who else made a committable offer the best objective measure how good a get a particular player was by the coaching staff?

Mag has some nice moves. Pivot to face up, jump stop to lay up, some shooting. He seems to enjoy the physicality of the game.

You could play him at the forward position and expect him to rebound. Now, we have Yeboah who is more of a perimeter player.

I do think Pikiell will need to make a fantastic recruit soon. I like the Swedish player. I think Dean Reiber is heady and a good player. Mag is a good pick up. One player that is a proven high caliber player is needed.

Developing is important, and hopefully Hayn can do that well. Finding a solid player who wants to develop himself is always what you want first. Someone like McConnell, Baker,etc. Pikiell gets this, and you see players develop at a decent rate.

GO RU.

Pikiell’s overall track record of finding under-the-radar recruits has been pretty good. He’s had some misses, as expected, but there are more hits than misses. I have no problem with that at all.

However, as someone pointed out earlier, all of your recruits can’t be under the radar guys to climb up the B1G. Last year’s class was weak with only one player but he sprinkled in a transfer and a grad transfer. This year’s class is also projected to be weak vs. the rest of the league. Two kids are rated in the mid 300s and I can’t find a rating on Mag. That’s a little scary.

Of course, if he reigns in a stud with the last scholarship, things change quite a bit.

On the other hand, Pike has gotten some 4 star recruits, although right now it appears one was very over-rated and I feel another one was as well, so you never know.

Bottom Line..this last scholarship is pretty big.

I guess it all comes down to TRUST in our coach and staff. Sure, I have concerns with perhaps recruiting some under the radar guys but we got a really good coach so we need to support him. He seems to be focusing on shooters who have toughness and can shoot pass and dribble and guys who love RU... these kids do check the boxes.

I like this guy's potential but I expected that recruiting would improve the longer Pike was here. Under the radar guys would get the ball rolling, we'd win some league games, and become more of a player for higher rated recruits who saw that they could win at RU. That doesn't appear to be happening yet. So I am concerned as I am with the play of the team thus far this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
A few things:

1) Of our current roster, the two mostly highly touted players *at the time of signing* we’re Doucore and Mathis. They are likely our weakest non-transfer players.
2) The major difference between a 3 and 4 star is largely down to visibility (on a prominent AAU team) and NBA body/athleticism type as a 16-17 year old.
3) if you believe in the current roster, this class is shaping up nicely. Presumably, we are losing the minutes of Carter and Yeboah and maybe a transfer out (because it’s 2019). You would think Mulchahy, McConnell and Harper basically eat the Yeboah minutes as they continue to improve. So besides the backup C minutes (and hopefully Doucore matures enough to take some) you’re talking about guys who will play sparingly their freshman year. THIS IS HOW PROGRAMS ARE BUILT. Let guys learn and mature as freshman and naturally work themselves into rotation/roles.
4) Add these kids to Cliff O, if we get him, and this team is set up incredibly well for the future

It's pretty simple: Beat teams like Bryant and Drexel by 20+ and you can recruit whoever you want. Beat them by a combined 7 points and fans are going to start demanding better recruiting.

Reactions: higgins3
Pikiell’s overall track record of finding under-the-radar recruits has been pretty good. He’s had some misses, as expected, but there are more hits than misses. I have no problem with that at all.

However, as someone pointed out earlier, all of your recruits can’t be under the radar guys to climb up the B1G. Last year’s class was weak with only one player but he sprinkled in a transfer and a grad transfer. This year’s class is also projected to be weak vs. the rest of the league. Two kids are rated in the mid 300s and I can’t find a rating on Mag. That’s a little scary.

Of course, if he reigns in a stud with the last scholarship, things change quite a bit.

On the other hand, Pike has gotten some 4 star recruits, although right now it appears one was very over-rated and I feel another one was as well, so you never know.

Bottom Line..this last scholarship is pretty big.

There's no such thing as a last recruit in basketball....kids transfer all the time for various reasons. Let's not overthink things when none of us have anything figured out. You hopefully have more options and ways to play with the 2020 class, that you dont right now.

A mobile PF or C who can run, jump and alter shots on the defensive end is the gap on the last couple of seasons, as far as roster makeup. Doesn't need to be bulky or a banger inside, but has to be able close out at the 3 point line, when teams try pick and pop.

We don't have a pick and pop player beyond Yeboah and maybe Harper. We should have 3 next year (Reiber, Palmquist and Mag) to go with what's here. To have that as an option, frees up driving lanes.

Reactions: Scangg
I have absolutely no inside info, but I am 99.9999% sure another scholarship will open in the spring.

Reactions: Richie O
We definitely need Cliff, no question about it. We play teams where two sizable players are essential for post up and rebounding. Myles isn’t enough going forward and I don’t see Doucore being much of an impact.

I think my one big concern right now is do we have a prolific scorer or someone who will become a prolific scorer? I don’t see that guy right now and every team has one guy who gets ball, gets to the line and converts. We have a point guard by committee and although it’s nice to have multiple ball handlers, you need to have that 1 go to guy and then shooters around him. We have guys who can shoot but it’s not clear who to go to guy is right now? I still think it’s Geo but he hasn’t really claimed that role. Maybe it’s Harper, but not yet? Are any of the new recruits capable of that role? That’s my concern.

I think littleenis5 makes some really good points. I think all 3 of our recruits have a good chance of moving up in the rankings by the end of the season. I thought I read that Palmquist has only been in the USA for a short time and has not been seen yet by many who do the rankings. Mag I see is playing behind two major 5 stars and several 4 stars. He just might blossom real soon. Reiber might be 6'10" now and can shoot the 3. I think all of these guys will contribute. I like that Carl Hobbs and Steve Hayn have been a big part of bringing these guys to RU. I have seen Cliff Omoruyi play at least 6 times. He is very good but hopefully he has added a short jumper to his game. He is quick up & down the floor and rebounds and blocks shots but hitting a little jumper would really develop his game. I hope to see several of his games again this season and I hope he will choose RU.

Reactions: Scangg
What can sell Cliff to RU?

Seriously, I don't want to hear $$$ or RU is a great school. Cliff has NBA aspirations

I think Pike can sell him immediate plating time and being a superstar in the Big Ten with a very good supporting cast already in place.

What else, compared to Yukon or ASU?

The Hurley brothers (Arizona State and UConn). Gonna take a wild guess and say there's a lot of negative recruiting toward Rutgers in that one.

Kentucky UConn, Memphis Arizona State and Rutgers would be my guess if there was a Final 5....not that Bruce Pearl and Auburn or Maryland NCState and Pitt aren't legitimate threat$, but a Top 40 kid has to turn down things that is almost unheard of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT