ADVERTISEMENT

McClung Decommitted; Commits to G'Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the Fork? This feels like a "looking for greener pastures" thing. Like Pike and crew give him a shot, then he starts to blow up and says, Thanks, but no thanks.

Vasco has a point.

What the? I am sure Pikiell gets another good player. It is super late. McClung would have helped here.I think he had the most potential in the 2017 class. Just because he was a point guard, and competitive. You can't replace those kids. Oh well.

He probably didn't see immediate playing time, and it was too far from home.

Sanders would have no legitimate reason to leave at the end of the season. Also, Souf is a player. Baker could also handle the ball.

Interesting. Guess he really wanted to play right away.

My guess is that he takes a little step down in a league(MAAC,etc), and wants to play right away.

Also, be the star.

1. It is possible someone could have played a joke on him and he really isn't decommiting
2. I never assume a player is coming here until he signs
3. If he is not coming here I doubt it is because he wouldnt play here

I wouldn't bet on that .

Maybe he got offered by an ACC/Atlantic 10 school closer to home .

1. It is possible someone could have played a joke on him and he really isn't decommiting
2. I never assume a player is coming here until he signs
3. If he is not coming here I doubt it is because he wouldnt play here
It’s not a joke. He is decommitted. Maybe someone else has been begging since he committed to Rutgers. You never know now days.

Last edited:
@Russ Wood ......your thoughts, sir?

I know you weren't super high on this kid, but curious to know what you know.
I had no idea he reopened his recruitment until I got a notification to come to this thread and read several posts.

Really odd occurrence. He commits soon after an unofficial visit. Comes on an official visit and goes to MidKnight Madness then reopens? That's a head scratcher...unless the coaching staff hit him with something unexpected like they asked him how he'd feel about redshirting his freshman year and he decided "I'm out."

I'll ask around

Last edited:
Was really looking forward to watching him. I hope this is an indication we are about to make a big move or two in recruiting, otherwise this does not help the cause. Even if it was that he thought the competition was too stiff (which I doubt), it still hurts if we don't have a backup plan.

Was really looking forward to watching him. I hope this is an indication we are about to make a big move or two in recruiting, otherwise this does not help the cause. Even if it was that he thought the competition was too stiff (which I doubt), it still hurts if we don't have a backup plan.

That's my hunch...class of 2019

Not thrilled he decided to de-committ, but looking at his offers and seeing G-Town the only "major player" that offered besides RU, I don't feel upset and figure he might not have felt RU was a good fit to get the minutes he wanted
and RU might wind up getting someone that will help ( in the long run) more with
McClung not in picture.

That's my hunch...class of 2019
We'll see. If that is how it plays out I feel bad for McClung, but the staff is not in a position to turn down upgrading the roster. I think McClung will be a really good player at whatever level/conference he lands.

Maybe he left the weekend unimpressed and had buyers remorse.

Who knows..
attendance at midknight madness
the campus
awful football game

Probably a different lens from could go to the school and is going to the school

He has always be "that guy" - that amazing dazzling kid - it may have sunk in that the spotlight was not going to be following him around the court ?

McClung wanted a four year school where he started right away, played 32 mpg, and ran the show.

That was not what Rutgers could offer him.

Also, make no mistake that Rutgers is trying to groom Mensah into a 15-20 mpg player or more. Kid has potential that has nowhere near been reached, and the work ethic to achieve it.

Best to McClung. He ends up at a UNCW and does well.

McClung wanted a four year school where he started right away, played 32 mpg, and ran the show.

That was not what Rutgers could offer him.

Also, make no mistake that Rutgers is trying to groom Mensah into a 15-20 mpg player or more. Kid has potential that has nowhere near been reached, and the work ethic to achieve it.

Best to McClung. He ends up at a UNCW and does well.

Let yourself think all of that if it makes you feel better.

Defensively he may have been a small, but I liked his athleticism and I thought his handle was decent for the college level. While I never thought of him as more than a solid backup / 6th or 7th man type, I still think he would have added some nice play to our guard rotation. I think it's a much bigger deal than a Sean Chambers decommitting, for example. I'm higher on him than I am Harper at this point.

Can't miss what you never had

giphy.gif

Let yourself think all of that if it makes you feel better.

I don't think there are that many options on this one.

The staff is well above average, the campus is great, academics are top notch. You have a different view of Rutgers than I do I guess. Sorry, but I don't think it was midnight madness, or the campus.

Sometimes there is no rationalization to be had behind these decisions. Remember, these are 17 year old kids making decisions that will impact the rest of their lives in very substantial ways. It's an exercise in futility sometimes trying to determine the answers to these questions.

We all need to wish the kid nothing but the best in his endeavors, and if he backtracks and decides he did make the right decision off the bat - maybe there will still be a slot open for him.

Gate City, VA is at the very edge of deep Appalachia. The coal, the drugs, the remoteness of the area are all there. He probably left the NYC metro area in shock. His loss.

This is disappointing, but I think he can be replaced.

Maybe in light of recent events Adidas didn't give us the money to pay him...haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT