ADVERTISEMENT

McClung Decommitted; Commits to G'Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...so he is hoping for an offer from "some" team. I assume it's a local team, maybe Virginia, Va. Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, Duke?

I think you would be correct on that notion. Thinking it will be a semi-local school. However, even though I'm a big fan of McClung, I don't see the likes of a Duke or UNC offer happening....at all. The big boys don't usually whiff on all their targets and that would have to happen I think for a Top 15 type team to offer. I could see VT offering him....but not sure about their numbers right now. Havent heard anything about Maryland. I know VT and UVA have shown interest multiple times but not sure how far it's went. UVA I know had coaches to come see him 2 or 3 times last year.

Alot of local people would probably disagree with me but I wouldnt be surprised to see him give ETSU real consideration. They have a solid team and coaching staff and have made the tournament a few times as of recently. His teammate Ervin has also been offered by them....and I don't know it for a fact but that may play into his decision as well. Those 2 have been best friends for years.

I'll say all this and he may commit tomorrow to Georgtown or something. it's really hard to tell what teenage kids are going to do.

Reactions: Russ Wood
I dislike SHU as much as the next guy. However, this entire thread is composed of our fans ripping McClung weeks after singing his praises. It goes both ways.
There is nothing wrong with McClung (besides that he relies too much on dunks and that'll never fly at the next level). We just got a superior player. So no need to rip him but a lot of reason to be extremely happy with how this worked out. I wouldn't take McClung over Mathis Shaq or mamadou.

Reactions: JQRU91
I think you would be correct on that notion. Thinking it will be a semi-local school. However, even though I'm a big fan of McClung, I don't see the likes of a Duke or UNC offer happening....at all. The big boys don't usually whiff on all their targets and that would have to happen I think for a Top 15 type team to offer. I could see VT offering him....but not sure about their numbers right now. Havent heard anything about Maryland. I know VT and UVA have shown interest multiple times but not sure how far it's went. UVA I know had coaches to come see him 2 or 3 times last year.

Alot of local people would probably disagree with me but I wouldnt be surprised to see him give ETSU real consideration. They have a solid team and coaching staff and have made the tournament a few times as of recently. His teammate Ervin has also been offered by them....and I don't know it for a fact but that may play into his decision as well. Those 2 have been best friends for years.

I'll say all this and he may commit tomorrow to Georgtown or something. it's really hard to tell what teenage kids are going to do.

Interesting - East Tennessee State University ? lots of big national level names & then opt for close to home?

I'd find that really ironic - in an obscure way ... in a different thread (one that called the loss of Mac "Brutal") I mentioned that Mac brought back memories of Ervin Stepp (never heard of him? - worth looking him up) he was a sensation - "Mr. Basketball - 1980" in Kentucky - a 6' 2" scoring machine - owned the national two-season scoring average mark at 50.5 - CBS SUNDAY MORNING did a feature on him - had many big offers - but he went to Eastern Kentucky - and turned out that his dazzling game just did not translate to D1 college basketball

Certainly wish Mac well - but for where Rutgers is at this point in time, this chain of events seems to have played out to the advantage of Rutgers as far as critical needs being addressed.

Rutgers needed Carter more than Mcclung. I will say,overtime I think Mcclung becomes a decent player. I dont think he is a low major. At the mid to high major level, I think he can score 10 ppg and average 4-5 assist. He can work to be an average guard with his current athleticism.

I think McClung would be wise to pick a school somewhere between C-USA and the CAA.

ETSU is in the Southern Conference which is a notch or two below CAA.

Well, generally speaking I imagine most Rutgers fans wouldn't want to publicly criticize a commitment even if they have any private reservations about the player.

Bingo

Not hard to imagine this at all.

True for me many times.

Just read where McClung committed to Georgetown?
Yup it's on their board. Seems we were always eyeing someone else with the decommit quick commit scenario playing out. This one didn't bite us in the ass so good luck to the kid, but still a douche move so late in the game.

So it was between us and gt all along... he chooses us then decommits and picks them. Odd to say the least

So it was between us and gt all along... he chooses us then decommits and picks them. Odd to say the least
When he visited Georgetown and played pick up with the team he was the best guard on the floor, according to someone who watched the game. Because of that Patrick Ewing wanted him to reclass into 2017.

McClung probably feels that playing time will be more readily available for him at Georgetown, and he'll be playing in the NBA arena. If he stays there four years and doesn't transfer, a Georgetown diploma opens a lot of doors. Especially if he wants to pursue any kind of legal degree. I believe the McClung's father is the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Scott County, Virginia.

Last edited:
Good luck to him. No hard feelings. These are kids. Not gonna get worked up about teenagers and where they play sports for 4 years

When he visited Georgetown and played pick up with the team he was the best guard on the floor, according to someone who watched the game. Because of that Patrick Ewing wanted him to reclass into 2017.

McClung probably feels that playing time will be more readily available for him at Georgetown, and he'll be playing in the NBA arena. If he stays there four years and doesn't transfer, a Georgetown diploma opens a lot of doors. Especially if he wants to pursue any kind of legal degree. I believe the McClung's father is the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Scott County, Virginia.

I wonder why he chose us the first time then.

Reactions: soundcrib
Good luck to the kid. Definitely do not have any ill will towards him.

I just looked up Gate City on Google Images.

Holy moly. That place makes rural New Jersey look like NYC on a Saturday night.

I just looked up Gate City on Google Images.

Holy moly. That place makes rural New Jersey look like NYC on a Saturday night.
Yes, very small. Attending college in DC will be a HUGE change for him culturally and socially

Reactions: higgins3
Yes, very small. Attending college in DC will be a HUGE change for him culturally and socially
I hate to say this because I really was looking forward to Pike and company training this kid up but I think he is better off staying closer to home.

Hard to argue with this. Good luck to the kid. He looks like an exciting player.

I don't like short guards for Rutgers. We have had way too many over the years. I like that coach is getting them much taller than this kid. But, good luck to him in DC.

I'll take the best guard. SHU made out great with some undersized guards over the years.

I'm a Rays fan so it would've been cool to for him here after cheering his uncle in the majors, but good luck to him at Georgetown. Hope he goes undefeated against Seton Hall.

Heard through the grapevine that his time with the guys during his official might have been what caused the decommit. Sometimes you fit in and sometimes you don't.

I have no inside info whatsoever but the timing of the decommit and the Carter commit suggests something went down over the official weekend. Given that I am not sure what that was I am very happy for Mac as I think he handled the situation well and found a very nice spot for himself.

Heard through the grapevine that his time with the guys during his official might have been what caused the decommit. Sometimes you fit in and sometimes you don't.
I don't wish him any negative vibes, however if this is the case it becomes example number one of why you don't verbally commit until you actually take an official visit.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I don't wish him any negative vibes, however if this is the case it becomes example number one of why you don't verbally commit until you actually take an official visit.

Actually impossible to do this in hoops, the summer circuit is when the bulk of recruiting is done, without the interruption of school during the year.....and it doesn't make sense for players being able to take visits every single weekend during their HS senior season while school is starting....and visiting in the heat of the summer with no one on campus isn't ideal for what the real school atmosphere is like.......the unofficial visits are best to frame the eventual verbal and then the official caps the process for the recruit, sort of like a celebration of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT