ADVERTISEMENT

McClung Decommitted; Commits to G'Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you get that for his post? It's sounds more like he just didn't love his visit and decided to move on. The poster wayoflife above I believe knows him and liked greenricefigs post.
Perhaps him not loving the visit was not "unexpected" by the staff...idk BK and Russ could be hinting at something.

Whatever the case, as another poster put it: 3 star guards aren't too difficult to find.

its never a positive to get a decommit...never fall in love with a recruit until they sign

Disagree with point 1 and point 2

Don't think Mac was going to be a star here, and I'm sure we will recruit someone better (if not in 18, then 19).

And I am in love with Mathis.

The combo guard Trey Wertz (not saying we will offer or he will definitely visit, although someone knowledgeable I spoke to this morning really likes his game), is a better overall player (offensively, much better shooter, taller and better defender). There are plenty of options there, it is far from late in the game in early October, with 2 verbals and one current spot open.

Reactions: PaKnight
Hoping carter commits. Wanted Washington but appears that ship has sailed. Do not enjoy this so late in the game

Late in the game? We just finished rounding out our 2017 class with Doucoure. It's early. No worries here that McClung is replaced with a better option

Late in the game? We just finished rounding out our 2017 class with Doucoure. It's early. No worries here that McClung is replaced with a better option

Doucoure is a different situation, he had been committed for quite awhile, it was just that he reclassified:

Reactions: MV9000
Reading between the lines this kid needs work on D. Which if he's the kind of athlete everyone here claims he is should not be the case. Or maybe he can jump but doesn't have quick feet? Whatever the case, we need our team D spearheaded by a down and dirty on the ball defender. I thought Sanders made huge strides in that area last season.

Why does it make you laugh ?

Because he could be taught how to play the position here by our excellent coaches who really know the position.

What kind of guard coaches does Georgetown have on that staff?

This is the right decision for McClung.....GTown is starting over and in full rebuild mode and they need players badly. Mcclung has a faster chance to immediate playing time early in his career at GTown and not so much at RU with Geo Baker as the starter. With Mathis as the SG and Ron Harper and Peter Kiss also in the backcourt longer term, minutes would have to be earned and RU needs a better guard that is at the level of what we have now.

Going to Gtown is very similar to going to RU.

You have programs at the bottom of excellent leagues who are rebuilding.

As to the other comment nothing about watching Corey Sanders play has shown me he's a well coached guard. Hopefully he becomes one this year instead of the me first player he's been since he's been here.

If you really think the Harper kid can play in the backcourt that's just something we'll have to disagree on.

Going to Gtown is very similar to going to RU.

You have programs at the bottom of excellent leagues who are rebuilding.

As to the other comment nothing about watching Corey Sanders play has shown me he's a well coached guard. Hopefully he becomes one this year instead of the me first player he's been since he's been here.

If you really think the Harper kid can play in the backcourt that's just something we'll have to disagree on.

Really?
Nice pot shot at our coaching staff, implying Corey is not well coached.

And I agree with Hawk.
As a freshmen, I would have guessed Mac would not be given the bulk of minutes as a point (due to Souf and Geo).

Then we grab a stud in 2019 (Mulcahy?), and Mac is nothing more than a role player at RU his entire career.

IMO, I am glad he rescinded.
I believe RU can do much better.

Why does it make you laugh ?
I won't laugh, but wonder why some feel that his is so good , when only two major programs offered.
Unless Mac McClung let it be known he'd only consider G-Town and RU, I wonder why no other offers from any other program that are generally considered a major program.
Maybe he has the potential to be a real good college player, but those programs not offering don't want to gamble he can be developed into one right away and not need some seasoning before that happens.

Last edited:
It isn't a pot shot at the coaching staff.

Your comment said that the RU coaches do a great job of coaching Guards.

Their best Guard isn't well coached IMO.

Hopefully he improves

Mac is probably looking hard at either Elon or Quinnipiac so he can start right away.

Hopefully he improves
Well Cory looked like he improved as a team player his sophomore year under Pikiell from his freshman one under Jordan.
But that type of improvement is expected as a talented player gains more experience.
But it's not like this coaching staff had Cory from the beginning, lets see how much improvement he and Williams show this season. Along with the other guards that played last season play with a year of Pikiell and staff's coaching under their belt.

Hopefully he improves

Players that put the work in with the staff definitely improve.....the rest is up to Corey right now, he'll be better this year than last year, he won't have to do everything now with other guards like Baker to help allow him to play off the ball some....This will be a change for Corey, who is used to having the ball practically every possession....now we will see less of a workload on his shoulders, where he should be more efficient.

Adding Shaq Carter is the real win here....perfect weekend of recruiting results AND, we can add a guard in the spring that is as good or better than McClung.....we were unlikely to land a PF that can start in the spring, Carter for McClung on paper is a huge, huge win....!!

I in no way suggested that there was any pressure placed on the kid by the staff, his parents, the Scarlet Knight or the guy that makes the popcorn at the RAC...merely that he wasn't poached.

Just want that to be clear!
Not poached. Toasted.

I still think Mac would have helped this team. I don’t agree on the talent assessments I’m reading. But that said I also never saw him as anything more than a backup due to his size and lack of shooting. If we can use the scholarship on a guy that could start (if Shaq can fill in that gap), I’m a happy guy.

All that athleticism, you'd think he'd have bigger and better offers. Would have been cool to see some of those dunks at the RAC.

That being said, if he ends up at Georgetown it may be a better fit for him. Closer to home, elite education, DC is a great city. Just wish he thought it through before he committed in the first place.

Corey definitely improved from his freshman year. But also remember, Corey has not spent an off season at Rutgers yet, so the staff has been limited on extra personal coaching. And that said, he did improve.

Reactions: RUonBrain
All that athleticism, you'd think he'd have bigger and better offers. Would have been cool to see some of those dunks at the RAC.

That being said, if he ends up at Georgetown it may be a better fit for him. Closer to home, elite education, DC is a great city. Just wish he thought it through before he committed in the first place.

He is obviously can jump, but watching his highlights, while he is a good athlete. He does not jump off the video as being a great athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT