ADVERTISEMENT

McClung Decommitted; Commits to G'Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
RU needs a front court player much more.....this helps RU because your front court next year is Johnson, Doucoure and Eugene (Assuming Doorson is not in the mix)....not a good recipe for the rugged B1G.

We could have used a commitment from a player up front like Shaq Carter, but with no room, someone wasn't going to either sign in the fall OR have to wait until the season sorted itself out and sign in the spring.

Perhaps McClung was asked to defer signing.....

I know we had a BUNCH of high profile visitors here for Ohio State in 2019 and 2020 and an ideal situation is a 2019 guard vs 2 2018 guards and a wing/SF with Harper Jr.....

I think McClung will do very well where he lands, but if given a choice of the recently committed Warren Washington or McClung, it would be based on roster need and it would be Washington.....or especially Carter, if we can pull that one off....

Pike and the staff have been killing it on the recruiting trail....this is not a big deal at all....2019 recruiting and finding a front court piece is most important and now we have a spot immediately available........

Perhaps a current 2019 front court recruit, has the ability to pull off a Doucoure and reclassify back to 2018.....there are so many options RU has at their disposal right now, it's just a matter of getting the best fit for the roster for next year and it's the front court, not the backcourt right now....

This is a disappointment but maybe we will land a better player. Good luck to Mac wherever he goes. Perhaps we can still get Warren Washington now that we definitely have an open scholarship.

There may be a front court option that could make this very interesting if it develops...at least a better fit or balance to the recruiting class....first priority is Shaq Carter (Washington off the board to Oregon State) and perhaps Doherty from New England....this other option could be as interesting (better)....

There may be a front court option that could make this very interesting if it develops...at least a better fit or balance to the recruiting class....first priority is Shaq Carter (Washington off the board to Oregon State) and perhaps Doherty from New England....this other option could be as interesting (better)....
I like Shaq Carter as a option. I think he would fit a lot better.

No one is saying we don't think McClung is very good or it's not a big deal....at the same time, it's a crowded backcourt and we need PF's up front next year....that's all I am pointing out....

If Corey Sanders and Bullock are not on the roster next year and the staff doesn't have another guard lined up by the time November 2018 gets here, then you can say it's a big deal....my guess is we will have a very good guard in 2019 committed by this time next year that will balance the guards across three classes....Baker, Souf & Kiss (recruiting class of 2017), Mathis and Harper (recruiting class of 2018).....that's 5 guards across two recruiting classes (granted they all graduate at different times in the future)

Right now we have recruiting class of front court players (Doucoure and Myles Johnson (2017) and no front court recruits for 2018 as of today. I am just pointing out how the staff has been recruiting Carter and other front court targets as well, so it's pretty clear that if given a choice, you need to come up with a front court player or two in the fall or spring.

The staff has to make sure we hang on to Mathis, but I'm sure they know that. That;s a top priority. It ain't over until he's signed.

Reactions: soundcrib
I've got a little bit of the story, but it's a real simple one...

Nobody is poaching.

While this hurts cosmetically, I trust in Pikiell to find another young man who's ready to play at Rutgers.

Good luck to Mac, but on to the next!

This makes it sounds like Mcclung was pushed to decommit. Hmm maybe a big man higher on the RU board wants to commit soon.

Hoping carter commits. Wanted Washington but appears that ship has sailed. Do not enjoy this so late in the game

This makes it sounds like Mcclung was pushed to decommit. Hmm maybe a big man higher on the RU board wants to commit soon.
How did you get that for his post? It's sounds more like he just didn't love his visit and decided to move on. The poster wayoflife above I believe knows him and liked greenricefigs post.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
Why does it have to be a conspiracy theory - kid likely just changed his mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT