ADVERTISEMENT

McClung Decommitted; Commits to G'Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
its never a positive to get a decommit...never fall in love with a recruit until they sign

Let me add...never fall in love until you actually see them play

1. A commitment is always subject to change.
2. Recruiting tapes are like facebook, you only see the good.
3. Even when they are signed it is all paper until you see them play in games.

Corey definitely improved from his freshman year. But also remember, Corey has not spent an off season at Rutgers yet, so the staff has been limited on extra personal coaching. And that said, he did improve.

Corey took a few steps backwards last year. In what way did he improve? I am one to take statistics with a grain of salt, but every metric went the wrong way.

Let me add...never fall in love until you actually see them play

1. A commitment is always subject to change.
2. Recruiting tapes are like facebook, you only see the good.
3. Even when they are signed it is all paper until you see them play in games.

Really?
You don't love Montez or Shaq?

Must be boring being a fan with that approach.

Reactions: Scangg
I am sorry, but he is right. Perhaps you can give credit for the staff with getting to compete more of the defesnsive end

What are you taking about?

You don't think our coaches know how to coach guard play?

And as stated above, if Corey was here during his summers the coaches could have done more with him.

What are you taking about?

You don't think our coaches know how to coach guard play?

And as stated above, if Corey was here during his summers the coaches could have done more with him.

Where did I say the coaches don't know how to coach guards?

Corey took a few steps backwards last year. In what way did he improve? I am one to take statistics with a grain of salt, but every metric went the wrong way.

His shooting took a step back especially early on but to me that was because he was finally being coached as to what a point guard needs to do. I think he was a little overwhelmed especially early.

If you do not think he was a better defender than his freshman year, well, we will disagree.

I also saw signs of Corey looking to try to run the show more then year 1, he was thinking the game a little more then just trying to out-athlete the opponent. I think that is why his metrics were down. I still feel he has a way to go to be where he needs to be and where we need him to be, but last year the first step was taken.

His shooting took a step back especially early on but to me that was because he was finally being coached as to what a point guard needs to do. I think he was a little overwhelmed especially early.

If you do not think he was a better defender than his freshman year, well, we will disagree.

I also saw signs of Corey looking to try to run the show more then year 1, he was thinking the game a little more then just trying to out-athlete the opponent. I think that is why his metrics were down. I still feel he has a way to go to be where he needs to be and where we need him to be, but last year the first step was taken.

Defense, yes I agree. I disagree with everything else.

Reactions: Rutgers25
Defense, yes I agree. I disagree with everything else.

I really think last year was the first year Corey was ever coached, or should I say accepted coaching. His defense showed that. Let's see what he looks like this season from the jump, and how the new players will help or not help his team game.

Reactions: shields and DirtyRU

This, I couldn't have said it better. Had this argument on the board after the season. Overall Corey took a step forward with his game despite his numbers being down. And if you're one that thinks it's all about numbers, well then I can't help ya there.

It isn't all about numbers, but certain numbers mean something. Defensively, no doubt Corey was improved.

If you look stats side by side (especially conference) there is a major drop off.

If you want to argue it was because of him being more of a point guard....
1. Why was there only a slight improvement in offensive efficiency as a team(despite more pieces)
2. Why were his assist numbers WAY down
3. Why were his shot attempts in conference (per minute) play essentially unchanged

Reactions: MV9000
It isn't all about numbers, but certain numbers mean something. Defensively, no doubt Corey was improved.

If you look stats side by side (especially conference) there is a major drop off.

If you want to argue it was because of him being more of a point guard....
1. Why was there only a slight improvement in offensive efficiency as a team(despite more pieces)
2. Why were his assist numbers WAY down
3. Why were his shot attempts in conference (per minute) play essentially unchanged

Because the team couldn't shoot

Reactions: RUMountie
So assists and offensive efficiency have nothing to do with your teammates putting the ball in the hoop?....LOL

C'mon I watched almost every minute. How many times did Corey penetrate to the basket, get converged on by a big, and still try to finish? How many assists did Corey lose last year because of bad perimeter shooting percentage? 4 or 5 in total at most.

In the half court offense when Corey took a dribble towards the basket a shot by him was coming. Do you really think the reason he almost NEVER looked to pass was because Freeman or Gettys couldn't finish around the rim or Issa and Mike couldn't make an open 3?

Corey seemed to start slow last year and came on as the year went on. May have been him adjusting to playing more as a team player.

Thanks. I agree and I thought I must be overlooking something since so many people thought he improved.

Reactions: Rutgers25
It was easy for Corey to excel in his first year because he was basically the only guy who could put the ball in the basket, and we had so many injuries that he basically carried the team. He was by far the best player on a terrible, injury-riddled team, and it's easy to look good under those circumstances.

It's a lot harder for him to excel within a system that wasn't just Corey driving the lane. Yes, he struggled much of the year, but sometimes to coach a player to get better, you have to strip him down and start from scratch. I kind of feel like that's what was going on last year, with a *real* coaching staff trying to shed Corey of bad habits and getting him to become a real PG instead of just the guy who will carry the team.

I hope and expect that, in the second year of Pike's staff, Corey will get back to being a difference maker in all facets of the game.

Reactions: higgins3
This, I couldn't have said it better. Had this argument on the board after the season. Overall Corey took a step forward with his game despite his numbers being down. And if you're one that thinks it's all about numbers, well then I can't help ya there.
his freshman year he had to be the man..who else could score..plus he didnt have to play D, or rebound with eddie coaching. last season if his D slacked off Pike would sit him. he would return energized, and focused...his numbers were down, but look at our record...much improved...this is the year we should see a big jump in cory's game. he has help. this will allow him be the weapon that's gonna give other coaches alot to think about.

Reactions: DirtyRU
C'mon I watched almost every minute. How many times did Corey penetrate to the basket, get converged on by a big, and still try to finish? How many assists did Corey lose last year because of bad perimeter shooting percentage? 4 or 5 in total at most.

In the half court offense when Corey took a dribble towards the basket a shot by him was coming. Do you really think the reason he almost NEVER looked to pass was because Freeman or Gettys couldn't finish around the rim or Issa and Mike couldn't make an open 3?

Yes, when you know your teammates can't finish. How many games did we watch Freeman do that ridiculous spin move (over and over) and turnover the ball or miss the shot or get blocked? It was comical at times to watch Freeman "attempt" to score in B1G play.

You are right, we did not have a problem shooting last year, it was solely attributable to a lack of distribution. Comical.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUMountie
I think Sanders still has too much fun, but Carino mentioned some improvement is there in taking it seriously. His natural talent is having fun, and being highly athletic.

He also never looked to get better at areas of his game that needed help. That is why a lot of people do not get better. No one part of his game is good enough for it to be the sole focus of what he does night in and night out.

I expect his assist to be at 4pg with Baker there. Having more mobile bigs will help that as well.His shooting improves a little, but not a ton. His defense is about the same-which was good. He attracts a lot of attention with his energy. Just gotta focus in. Everyone's background is different and makes that easier or harder.

With this staff, the opportunity is there to really get better. Stick around, and take it!

you have always been too hard on Corey. This entire forum knows that. A few things:

1) our staff got Corey to buy in on Defense. His D was much improved last year.
2) I have not studied the stats, but Corey looked like a much less selfish player this past year. There was much less 1:1 play, and he looked to get players more involved. It didn't always pan out, but I saw the effort of trying to play in a different system
3) See #1. That was huge and massive kudos should go to Pike and Co for getting Corey to buy in on D.

For some reason, you see red with all things Corey.

agree with 1 and 3. Stats and my eyes disagree with #2

I do think this team (17-18) needs a lot of Corey penetration! He just has to be a threat to pass.

To repeat in half court we are at our best with the ball in his hands. He needs to create both for himself AND others. No Corey 2-16 in B1G.

4 or 5 the entire season?

agree with 1 and 3. Stats and my eyes disagree with #2

I do think this team (17-18) needs a lot of Corey penetration! He just has to be a threat to pass.

To repeat in half court we are at our best with the ball in his hands. He needs to create both for himself AND others. No Corey 2-16 in B1G.

For #2 you have to splice out non-conference play vs. conference play. Corey did a good job increasing his distribution when playing against inferior competition. When he was the only guy on the floor capable of creating his own shot in conference play, his playmaking for teammates went down. And you cannot just write off our inability to shoot, that cost Corey a lot of dimes and clearly played into a hesitation to dish the ball out to the perimeter. You also have to take into account that Corey took nearly every end of the shot clock look in conference play, as our guys would look to him as soon as the clock hit around 5 seconds for him to create. He was also asked to play 28-32 minutes a night, and guard the top perimeter scorer whenever he was on the floor (sometimes switching off with Mike). Think of the Iowa game where he shut down Peter Jok, and didn't have any gas left in him at the end of the game to win it.

His improvement may not show on the stat sheet in aggregate, but he did take positive strides last year. Yes, he still has a ways to go as a player and I do not disagree about what his flaws are. But be sure to look at it through a lens that splices out the sample size into meaningful pieces.

I don't think we wanted to limit how the offense was run, but after a few B1G games we eliminated a lot of turnovers because we avoided the dribble handoff (designed to create a switch on defense).....we eliminated a lot of stuff requiring others to handle the ball and trust the passes to be made without a turnover.

I think Baker starting this year is more about helping Corey become more of a scoring threat to eliminate his requirement for Corey to not only create for himself, but setup teammates for points....it's a high bar that Greene is asking of Corey, but I think it has to do with the lack of other scoring threats and others that can distribute.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Seton Hall & Boston College will be in Wednesday to see 2018 @gcboysbball & @teamloadedaau guard Mac McClung, per a source.

— Julius Kim (@JKimElevate) October 10, 2017
lol seton hall can have our leftovers if they want them. we got the vastly superior player based on offers.

side note: im really not sure how there is an argument that corey didnt improve from year one to year two. last year we were consistently using him to lock down the other team's best player. less points? duh..thats because he played more than a minute of defense every game.

Corey played against a ton of zone early in the season and thought he did great in his role as PG. when we started to play good teams and faced almost all man is where things changed

Greene

Hawk is on the right track as well as your comment about seeing more zone once we got to the big ten

Our shooting issues did hurt team assists across the board and Corey for sure

I really didn't think he was too one on one last year...though he was more his frosh year

What I thought he struggled with a lot is taking the ball too far to the basket last year which lower his shot quality

Hitting foul shots at 75-80% will help his penetration game on the shot and the dish as teams will force less contact on a high percentage foul shooter

I find it strange that SHU fans were ripping us on MAC and criticizing the offers he had and now all of a sudden Willard is interested in him.

Reactions: Underdogs88
I find it strange that SHU fans were ripping us on MAC and criticizing the offers he had and now all of a sudden Willard is interested in him.

You find it strange that a fanbase and their coach have differing opinions?

You'll find that most people on our board still don't want this guy (myself included), but every team needs a 12th and 13th man to provide bodies in practice.

I dislike SHU as much as the next guy. However, this entire thread is composed of our fans ripping McClung weeks after singing his praises. It goes both ways.

Entire thread ripping him?

Just looking at the first page of this thread, most where shocked and disappointed, lets not get carried away.

Looks like Seton Hall and Boston College extended offers to McClung.

This would have bothered me if it weren’t for Shaq Carter saving the day.

I’ll take this trade any day.
Looks like BE schools are starting to look at him, but like Mr Magoo
I'm happy the way it turned out . I also feel RU came out ahead while Mac
might find a better fit.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Hated to see that McClung decommitted the other day. Maybe it ends up being the best thing for both Mac and Rutgers in the long run. Looks like the RU continues to reel off big time recruits. Just my opinion, but I feel as if there's another school that's talking to McClung right now that's just not offered yet and he feels pretty confident they will. That's the vibe I've been getting from everyone around here in the Southwest Virginia area thats close to him.

There's also another prospect at GC that you guys may get in on.....2019 6'5 Zac Ervin. Shooter with some size to him that's increasing his ability to take the ball to the rack and finish strong. He also played for Team Loaded but on the 15u team. He's not taken off on the recuriting trail yet and doesnt have any Power5 offers but I expect that to change this year. I think he has the tools to really take his game to another level....hoping to see that happen

Anyhow, good luck to you guys on the hardwoods this year. Even though I'm a diehard ND fan I'm still interested seeing if the Knights can put together a legitimate contender in the years to come and do good things in the B1G.

Hated to see that McClung decommitted the other day. Maybe it ends up being the best thing for both Mac and Rutgers in the long run. Looks like the RU continues to reel off big time recruits. Just my opinion, but I feel as if there's another school that's talking to McClung right now that's just not offered yet and he feels pretty confident they will. That's the vibe I've been getting from everyone around here in the Southwest Virginia area thats close to him.

There's also another prospect at GC that you guys may get in on.....2019 6'5 Zac Ervin. Shooter with some size to him that's increasing his ability to take the ball to the rack and finish strong. He also played for Team Loaded but on the 15u team. He's not taken off on the recuriting trail yet and doesnt have any Power5 offers but I expect that to change this year. I think he has the tools to really take his game to another level....hoping to see that happen

Anyhow, good luck to you guys on the hardwoods this year. Even though I'm a diehard ND fan I'm still interested seeing if the Knights can put together a legitimate contender in the years to come and do good things in the B1G.

Okay...so he is hoping for an offer from "some" team. I assume it's a local team, maybe Virginia, Va. Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, Duke?

Okay...so he is hoping for an offer from "some" team. I assume it's a local team, maybe Virginia, Va. Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, Duke?
If you're referring to McClung he can hope but: Va. Tech No, Maryland hell No (their fans would burned down Xfinity Center) North Carolina lol No, Duke :joy: No. I'm not sure about Virginia.

Reactions: MV9000
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT