ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Tucker wants Sparty to Keep Chopping

Oh Yeah! Well:
Go Scarlet!
Go White!

Ummm…doesn't really flow, does it?

Alright then, just put the Knight in a skirt.

I remember Mel using that hand gesture last year in the Rutgers game. I thought he was doing it in a mocking manner. Apparently not...it's something he has incorporated.

I remember Mel using that hand gesture last year in the Rutgers game. I thought he was doing it in a mocking manner. Apparently not...it's something he has incorporated.
Has something to do with a woodshed. Michigan State does look much improved. Nebraska may or may not be a good measuring stick this weekend.

I don’t get why so many people are so high on *ichigan State.
I understand that their wins over northwestern and Miami are “impressive”, except northwestern is clearly on a down year and Miami is perpetually overhyped. Miami is 1-2 with their win being 25-23 against Appalachian State.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
MSU is for real and will only get better as the season progresses. Not saying they go undefeated, by they are not the same team Rutgers faced last year, they are not a bottom feeder.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Michigan St is improved. However very overhyped right now IMO.
One spot below Michigan in the rankings.

I think it says it all that they are 5 point home favorites against Nebraska. 2 points better if on a neutral field. Those putting their money on the line are not buying Michigan State is that good.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
MSU had 40 transfers. Completely different team.

This article says 20. 20 is still a ton to be fair.

I could be completely wrong - but didn't something similar happen with Notre Dame when Charlie Weis was coach? He got a bunch of good players in the transfer portal and that's why he started out hot at Notre Dame, but then it screwed them on the back end with everyone graduating and only being able to give out 25 scholarships every year.

This is a way too early compliment but their style of play gives me the feel of a poor man's Georgia. Working with Saban/Smart most likely influenced him. Instead being worn down in that heat/humidity by Miami, MSU wore them down. You can't know yet for sure being so early but they definitely look like a much improved team over last year....just how real I guess we'll see.

MSU is for real and will only get better as the season progresses. Not saying they go undefeated, by they are not the same team Rutgers faced last year, they are not a bottom feeder.
They've beaten 3 lousy teams so far. Just like we have. Not sure how anyone can say that they are "for real" just yet. Same with us.

Michigan St is improved. However very overhyped right now IMO.
One spot below Michigan in the rankings.

I think it says it all that they are 5 point home favorites against Nebraska. 2 points better if on a neutral field. Those putting their money on the line are not buying Michigan State is that good.
Excellent post. Completely agree.

IIRC, @cubuffsdoug may or may not was optimistic about Mel Tucker's chances for success. Kenneth Walker III has been a big surprise for MSU, as has Jayden Reed, who transferred from WMU in 2020.
Tucker is a walking clusterf*ck, and he is known to walk the other side of the line to get players. Walker drove the Wake Forest coaches nuts, but they love his abilities. Walker felt underappreciated and decided to test the transfer portal. As I said, Tucker will say and do anything necessary to get players. Walker came with the idea MSU wouldn't change his style. If you watch Walker, his big run/successful plays are broken plays. His runs are plays going away from the intended direction. Tucker is not a good Xs and Os or gameday coach. He is good at selling an idea to players. You can still outcoach Tucker any day of the week.

I’m not saying MSU is a great team but definitely looks like a good solid team so far imo. It is early but I think that Miami win on the road in that heat/humidity is solid even if Miami ends up being bad.

They’re ranked 20 now and that’s not super high but which team behind them would you put in front of them. At most I’m guessing a couple teams but that would still put them in that 20-25 range which I think is about where they belong at the moment based on what they’ve done.

They look like hard nosed tough team but may not have the offensive shortcomings Dantonio’s later teams did. We’ll see over time.

Tucker is a walking clusterf*ck, and he is known to walk the other side of the line to get players. Walker drove the Wake Forest coaches nuts, but they love his abilities. Walker felt underappreciated and decided to test the transfer portal. As I said, Tucker will say and do anything necessary to get players. Walker came with the idea MSU wouldn't change his style. If you watch Walker, his big run/successful plays are broken plays. His runs are plays going away from the intended direction. Tucker is not a good Xs and Os or gameday coach. He is good at selling an idea to players. You can still outcoach Tucker any day of the week.
i ALWAYS RESPECT YOUR OPINIONS.(and the way you played here)

I was worried about you. I have not seen you in that certain MLB baseball team thread, but what's the use anyway! Thanks for your opinion!!

They've beaten 3 lousy teams so far. Just like we have. Not sure how anyone can say that they are "for real" just yet. Same with us.
Miami and Northwestern are a big step up from Temple and Syracuse. Not saying MSU is a world beater, but they have reworked that team via the transfer portal and they are much improved from last year.

Miami and Northwestern are a big step up from Temple and Syracuse. Not saying MSU is a world beater, but they have reworked that team via the transfer portal and they are much improved from last year.
I wasn't talking about our schedule/team but yes a "step up" and they SEEM to be improved, yes, just wouldn't call them "for real" yet IMHO.

Last edited:
How many players did Sparty gather up from the Transfer Portal? Seems like 1/3 or their team are mercenaries. I have to hand it to Mel. They look worlds better than they did last season.

Miami is living off of yesteryear teams. The current Miami team is not good at all. Northwestern returns the least amount of production (players) on the FBS level. Northwestern has built a solid rep over the years, but anyone following them this year knew they would take a big step back. Northwestern took one on the chin from Duke. Duke was blowing Northwestern out but took the foot off the gas. MSU did what they were supposed to do to teams that were not good.

Nebraska has more talent than Northwestern and Miami. The question is NU able to avoid self-inflicted wounds that constantly undermine the team. This will be MSU's toughest test to date. I would not be shocked if this is a close game and NU pulls it out.

The question is NU able to avoid self-inflicted wounds that constantly undermine the team.
When has that happened during the Scott Frost era lol. Have to hand it to them though they stayed close to Oklahoma on the road despite being their stumbling bumbling selves... potential 9 point swing in that game. 23-16....who would have expected a fairly low scoring game going in.

PJ may have heavily borrowed, but at least he has his own schtick. Tucker just literally ripped this off!

Can Rutgers send them a cease and desist or something? This is so cringe. Imagine Rutgers using Roll Tide for recruiting

Unlike Schiano, he has a slow, laid back delivery. Seriously, I am going to take that video clip and loop it for 30 mins so that I can play it if I have trouble falling asleep.

What will he think when he sees the students unrolling the giant CHOP sign? "That's friendly of them but it should be green next time!"

Odd pick, I know, for a first post (I’m a longtime lurker) but isn’t there some sort of marketing or trademark protection for Chop and Keep Choppin?

Reactions: Rokodesh
MSU = Rutgers West.

Our first farm team!
It's only right they use our trademarks, slogans and logos. 😏

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT