ADVERTISEMENT

JWill

None of these kids really know whether they are staying until the competing NIl offers come in. I don’t think Paul and Cam knew they were leaving until the 11th hour.
Don’t forget what made the Paul and Spencer thing interesting is they were both grad transfers i believe. Those types have their value sky rocket after the portal closes for the non grads and after teams strike out in the non grad portal wave.

None of these kids really know whether they are staying until the competing NIl offers come in. I don’t think Paul and Cam knew they were leaving until the 11th hour.
I don't buy it. They both had an inkling the way the end of the season played out that they weren't going to be back for 23-24. They both graduated before the portal closed, they intentionally waited after it closed to grad transfer out. At least, Miller, Reiber and Oskar did it the right way and early last year. I think this is why you see Chol, Woolf, and Derek announcing it now, because Pike doesn't want to get screwed over again like last year that led to this underwhelming season of 23-24.

None of these kids really know whether they are staying until the competing NIL offers come in. I don’t think Paul and Cam knew they were leaving until the 11th hour.
Definitely agree with the first part of your statement - and I don't blame the kids one bit - it's the landscape of today's college sports. As a fan I can tell you this absolutely stinks, as each year there is a potential bidding war for each of your players and/or if they are unhappy they just enter the portal. It is free agency run amok, and I'm not sure how much of an appetite I'm going to have for it in the coming years - ESPECIALLY since Rutgers does not seem to be great at the money game.

I really like his game. He's gotta spend all summer working on a few spots to hit spot up 3's. Really need him to shoot in the low-mid 30's as a willing 3 point shooter.
He’s a career 26% 3pt shooter, mid 30s is a stretch. Maybe he could sniff 30 with enough work though. I was surprised he shot FTs as well as he did for us. His FT shooting improved 14% from career average this year.

None of these kids really know whether they are staying until the competing NIL offers come in. I don’t think Paul and Cam knew they were leaving until the 11th hour.
Got my scarlet glasses on. I’m walking around thinking that since “everyone is being tampered with” is what we are told. They guys should have an idea what their value is without entering the portal. That would help them and RU get their NIL # trued up…. as they set up a
New one (now while they recommit).

Reactions: Scarlet83
I don't buy it. They both had an inkling the way the end of the season played out that they weren't going to be back for 23-24. They both graduated before the portal closed, they intentionally waited after it closed to grad transfer out. At least, Miller, Reiber and Oskar did it the right way and early last year. I think this is why you see Chol, Woolf, and Derek announcing it now, because Pike doesn't want to get screwed over again like last year that led to this underwhelming season of 23-24.
Spencer knew 100% he wasn't coming back and he wanted to screw Pikiell and he did; Mulcahy just got an offer he couldn't refuse

But in their defense maybe it was advantageous for THEM to wait until the end. Damn us fans or the program - honestly why should they care - they are looking for the best deal which happens all day, every day in business. Yes there is some loyalty to factor in, but it's foolish to think $$$ doesn't rule the day in almost all industries and decisions - not the only thing - but again it usually rules the day. This is the current landscape and #4523457 of what is wrong with NIL.

Are we locked into JWill starting and his 25% career 3pt shooting (20% this past year).

If we're looking to bring in 3pt shooting, wouldnt it make more sense to put the shooter on the floor with Dylan and utilize the additional space as the defense focuses on Ace/Dylan.

If Dylan will has the ball, JWill isn't offering much of a shooting threat
off ball.

Let JWill come off the bench and run the offense while Dylan sits.
JWill takes the Simpson role.
Offer a bigger role to a potential transfer guard and maybe we get a high caliber player than if offering a bench role.

Are we locked into JWill starting and his 25% career 3pt shooting (20% this past year).

If we're looking to bring in 3pt shooting, wouldnt it make more sense to put the shooter on the floor with Dylan and utilize the additional space as the defense focuses on Ace/Dylan.

off ball.

Offer a bigger role to a potential transfer guard and maybe we get a high caliber player than if offering a bench role.
I hope Pike locked JWill and JMike in the APC yesterday to shoot 3s and FTs and told them they weren’t allowed to stop until the portal closes.

off ball.

JWill either has the keys to the team or he is playing somewhere else.

I get and respect and partially agree with where you are coming from.

I don't think Jeremiah is going anywhere. I'd love to see him bump up that 3Pt% to 32% or so. We will struggle to reach the lofty expectations next season if we don't improve our 3 Pt shooting.

Reactions: NiTeKnight
With Ace and Dylan the first 2 options that defenses will key on, I expect J Will to do quite well in our offense

But is he going to hit open 3s if/when his man helps?

A better 3pt shooter on the floor would make the defense decide: help on Ace/Dylan and leave the 3pt shooter
or
stay on the shooter and deal with Ace/Dylan

Bringing in an upgraded 3pt shooter to replace Simpson doesn't help much from the bench.

But is he going to hit open 3s if/when his man helps? NOT ENOUGH

A better 3pt shooter on the floor would make the defense decide: help on Ace/Dylan and leave the 3pt shooter
or
stay on the shooter and deal with Ace/Dylan

Bringing in an upgraded 3pt shooter to replace Simpson doesn't help much from the bench.

With Ace and Dylan the first 2 options that defenses will key on, I expect J Will to do quite well in our offense
JWill is good with the ball in his hands...his poor shooting makes him less effective without the ball.

I think the ball is still going to be in his hands the most.

Reactions: bac2therac
I don't think Jeremiah is going anywhere. I'd love to see him bump up that 3Pt% to 32% or so. We will struggle to reach the lofty expectations next season if we don't improve our 3 Pt shooting.
I thought we all learned last year with Cam that you can’t make statements like “he is going nowhere” yet I see lots of the same comments this year.

Hence my question.
We're looking to bring in a 3pt shooting threat guard (I thought) but put him in the bench?

Hopefully it'll be at least a time-share between the (hopefully) 3pt shooter transfer and JWill.

J Will is going to be the glue guy and stopper next year. I see him having a big role but he may be 3rd or 4th in scoring. I expect him to load up the stat sheet with minutes, rebounds, assists and steals.
And we all said mag would be the glue and make the difference this year . Lots of twists and turns to a season.

Hence my question.
We're looking to bring in a 3pt shooting threat guard (I thought) but put him in the bench?

Hopefully it'll be at least a time-share between the (hopefully) 3pt shooter transfer and JWill.
It is an interesting question......looking at 160 non center minutes
Harper 32
Ace 32
Jwill 28
JAMike 15
Gavin 20

Total 127

Is there a slot for a starting 3 with Gavin coming off the bench?

Is a guy coming here knowing he has to beat out a 4 star rated Gavin?

Harper 32
Ace 32
Jwill 28
JAMike 15
Gavin 20

Total 127

No one cares about stars. Gavin is a young player that struggled. I expect him to play better but there are plenty of minutes available. Pike doesn’t need a 3 necessarily. Bring in another guard that can shoot. I think that is what Pike is trying to add. I see them adding a Big and a Guard.

Harper 32
Ace 32
Jwill 28
JAMike 15
Gavin 20

Total 127

Between JWill, Dylan, and Ace, seems like they play the positionless 2-4 role that combines length, shooting, playmaking, and ball handling. Add in a center. Then there is still plenty of minutes for a shooter to play guard or even another wing (moving JWill and Dylan to more ball handling). The question is can we find a guard/shooter that can play D, handle the ball, and perform the other roles?

Between JWill, Dylan, and Ace, seems like they play the positionless 2-4 role that combines length, shooting, playmaking, and ball handling. Add in a center. Then there is still plenty of minutes for a shooter to play guard or even another wing (moving JWill and Dylan to more ball handling). The question is can we find a guard/shooter that can play D, handle the ball, and perform the other roles?
I can see a 3 guard line up with another shooter on the floor. Gavin plays some 3 and 4. Ace playing some 3 and 4. They need an add a shooter. Cliff is probably gone so we need an experienced big to complement Somerville.

No one cares about stars. Gavin is a young player that struggled. I expect him to play better but there are plenty of minutes available. Pike doesn’t need a 3 necessarily. Bring in another guard that can shoot. I think that is what Pike is trying to add. I see them adding a Big and a Guard.
Pike does. He kept playing Gavin despite his poor performance. Anyone coming in has to know Gavin is going to get a lot of rope and he is going to get every chance to succeed

Reactions: FAT MOON

off ball.

Yes, it would make plenty of sense to upgrade JWill with a guy who can do what he does + shoot. JWill will just allow the lanes that Dylan likes to be clogged with his defender.

• Haha
Reactions: Kn0wledge
J Will can be fine if Gavin suddenly becomes a 40%+ shooter from distance, you add a wing that can be. Then you find a center who can defend, rebound, and move the ball from the post. Even after that, this isn't going to be a deep team. Don't think you can count on the other freshman to be above average, including Sommerville. J Mike is striving to become average. Ogbole striving for average.

-Someone could get hurt.
-If they bring in multiple players from lower levels someone could just flat out not work out.
-We could play more small ball without a dominant center.
-There are match ups to play.
-Slumps to manage around.

There is plenty of fluidity here.
Minutes are going to be available.

This is more of a blue-skies-anything-is-possible pitch than in years passed.

Pike does. He kept playing Gavin despite his poor performance. Anyone coming in has to know Gavin is going to get a lot of rope and he is going to get every chance to succeed
Gavin had plenty of rope this year and did nothing. Basketball wise it makes sense for him to get in the portal. He’s a shooter, why stay here and they literally don’t run any plays for open shots? They didn’t make it easy for him, every shot was literally over someone…they Just run pick and roll and stand there and hope for the best (maybe a kick out if your man helps)…that’s not an ideal situation for a shooter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT