ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Hires Cristobal - Mistake IMO

He wasn’t over-ruled by his wife. He wanted Greg Schiano money and Rutgers didn’t want to pay that. Our loss. He couldn’t say Rutgers didn’t offer me enough. So they went with the wife said no. Now he’ll be making 4x what he wanted from Rutgers 9 years ago. In any case, had he been hired by Rutgers, he’d have been at Miami by now, anyways. Miami is where he always wanted to be. But the program
Wouldn’t have been driven into the ditch. We’re still trying to climb out.

I don't believe that.

A school not meeting my demands sounds a helluva lot better than my wife wouldn't let me.

I don't believe that.

A school not meeting my demands sounds a helluva lot better than my wife wouldn't let me.
It’s professional courtesy not to do that. Especially someone seeking their first power 5 opportunity. I’ve never heard a prospective candidate say “they didn’t offer me enough”, when things fell through.

Cristobal just accepted a job without even telling his current employer they had reached out to him. He's no ethics chief.

In fact, nothing is usually said outside of some benign statement of the two sides couldn't come to an agreement. If that. Like what was initial reported with Schiano.

No one was reporting his wife wouldn't let him take the job. It was out there that he didn't like the terms.

Reactions: shields
It’s not at all unreasonable to think we’d be in the middle to upper pack of the ACC right now.
Yes it is!
We wouldn’t compete with NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, UNC, Wake Forest, Clemson, Pitt or Miami right now.
As for BC next year, we need to be prepared for men on both their interior lines…I don’t care how many starters they lose

Yes it is!
We wouldn’t compete with NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, UNC, Wake Forest, Clemson, Pitt or Miami right now.
As for BC next year, we need to be prepared for men on both their interior lines…I don’t care how many starters they lose

I’ll give you Pitt, NC State, Wake and Clemson.

Well see where VTech stands after the pinstrip. We don’t have the depth for the B1G grind. I don’t think our depth would be challenged as much in a less physical conference. I’m just not intimidated by a conference loaded with 6-6 teams. We had nearly as many ranking teams in our division as they have teams with winning records in their conference.

I’ll give you Pitt, NC State, Wake and Clemson.

Well see where VTech stands after the pinstrip. We don’t have the depth for the B1G grind. I don’t think our depth would be challenged as much in a less physical conference. I’m just not intimidated by a conference loaded with 6-6 teams. We had nearly as many ranking teams in our division as they have teams with winning records in their conference.
Offenses with a QB kill us as much as our offense does Diddy

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Diddy....putrid offense doesn't work in any conference. We'd be a bottom dweller in any P5 conference. Maybe no one would beat us 52-3 in the ACC, but the W-L record would be similar.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Diddy....putrid offense doesn't work in any conference. We'd be a bottom dweller in any P5 conference. Maybe no one would beat us 52-3 in the ACC, but the W-L record would be similar.

Agreed - I’d give us 2 more wins in the ACC. 7-5. Nothing spectacular, but that’s top of the middle of the pack… its more of an indictment of their conference than it is anything praising us.

I don't believe that.

From what I remember:
Mario at first agreed, then came back asking for a little more before he signed off on deal.
Rutgers said no and back to FIU for him

From what I remember:
Mario at first agreed, then came back asking for a little more before he signed off on deal.
Rutgers said no and back to FIU for him

I think his wife didn’t want to leave South Florida. I read she’s an executive for some kind of yachting and lifestyle publications

I think his wife didn’t want to leave South Florida. I read she’s an executive for some kind of yachting and lifestyle publications
She's a socialite running charities and functions. Basically, you have a lot of money and throw parties.

Also was recruiting really Miami's problem the last 5 yrs. they had one down year

2017-#23
2018-#11
2019-#6
2020-#35
2021-#10

Seems to me either Florida is severely over rated or they had a coaching X's & O's problem. I wouldn't call Cristobol an X's & O's coach.

IIRC, it was his wife who perhaps turned her nose up at Rutgers and New Jersey?

Don't know how the Eugene, OR area is, but having been to Oregon a few times, would take New Jersey over Oregon every time. Portland is scary, maybe no less than many cities, but things are really out of control in Portland. Have family near Portland, and a distant cousin was murdered there in February- police have zero leads.
Portland is a shithole and like many other Oregonians I won't go there. The people who live there deserve what they elected.

But the rest of Oregon has what I want: clean air and water, few crowds, wide open spaces including forest and rangelands, friendly people, reasonable taxes including no sales tax, an incredible coastline that is almost 100% public land, etc. I've lived here for the majority of the years after I graduated RU. Nothing could bring me back to NJ, except old friends and an occasional RU football game! As with everything else, to each his own.

He wasn’t over-ruled by his wife. He wanted Greg Schiano money and Rutgers didn’t want to pay that. Our loss. He couldn’t say Rutgers didn’t offer me enough. So they went with the wife said no. Now he’ll be making 4x what he wanted from Rutgers 9 years ago. In any case, had he been hired by Rutgers, he’d have been at Miami by now, anyways. Miami is where he always wanted to be. But the program
Wouldn’t have been driven into the ditch. We’re still trying to climb out.
How can you say we are in a ditch , but keep predicting us to beat good teams ? Makes no sense Al

How can you say we are in a ditch , but keep predicting us to beat good teams ? Makes no sense Al
We’ve got the capacity to beat good teams if we play well, but we haven’t done that yet. The closest we came was keeping Michigan to one score, which was tremendous.

Is Miami a Nike school? If so, I have feeling Knight will work hard to make that change ASAP.

Don't think this ends well. Won't have the same resources available to him at Miami as he has grown accustomed to at Bama and Oregon. Miami is not what it was when he played and last coached in 2006.

Reactions: rutger80
Mixed feelings here as an FSU fan. The guy will recruit his tail off.

Wesley Bissante was all set to commit to the Noles last week after an in-home from the entire staff, then he got "the call" on Friday morning. Saturday afternoon, he announces he's going to Miami.

Njiliak Kelly, who's mom is actively bag hunting, is also likely to commit there.
Kevin Coleman, who was choosing between FSU & Oregon, is supposedly going there for a visit this weekend.

The question is can he coach. Underwhelming at FIU, underachieved in a watered down Pac 12 at Oregon, with every advantage known to man.

Miami has 2 billionaire donors, a new AD, and Mario will have the largest assistant coaching $$ pool in the league. The ACC still sucks, Venebles left Clemson for Oklahoma, the Noles are still rebuilding, Kenny Pickett is going to the NFL, Mack Brown is still underachieving, VT is still rebuilding, etc.

We'll see what he can do - he's trying to lock down S. FL, and build them back into a monster. Time will certainly tell

Yes it is!
I dunno.. We beat Cuse.. they won a few games (including VTech and BC) and came very close in others (like Clemson).

61e1b413-74dc-4084-89fa-e2f163df1769_text.gif

There is some billionaire investor looking to build a stadium near campus for them. That would be the game changer they need
I live down here - that would be a game changer but that has virtually no chance of happening since any venue near the school would destroy saturday traffic for miles around and would have many entities with clout working against it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Portland is a disaster. Oregon blows. It had it's run like 15 years ago. It's over.

Any beta male that gets overruled by his wife for a career upgrade is not head coach material in the first place. Calling a flame out in Miami.
What, if the wife isn’t happy, no one o. The HH is happy He was right to include her in his decision and if you think about it he made the right call not to come here.

Yes it is!

Whether they're 2-10 or 10-2 BC always seems to have some quality at OL, and it's been that way for 50 years. DL is not quite that consistent.

We’ve got the capacity to beat good teams if we play well, but we haven’t done that yet. The closest we came was keeping Michigan to one score, which was tremendous.
Any team can be anyone “if” the play well. We need to get to a point where we can eliminate the “if”. Sound like some who gets their ass kicked and tell everyone he could have won the fight “if” he didn’t slip😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT