ADVERTISEMENT

Morgan William

RU old timer

Junior
Feb 26, 2015
I can't imagine what is being said in MSU circles. Morgan was having a bad game. She could not shake the great defense of Cuevas-Moore, and she was being beaten badly defensively. But when MSU gets within 4-5 points in the second half--although it was done without Morgan--you have to go with your star player. Within the same game, players often have streaks...you go with your best. You win and lose with your best in a championship. The player who brought you through Baylor and U Conn--sits on the bench in the 4th quarter. If we sat a Matee or a Cappy or a Piph late in a tournament game...this board would be inflamed. Vic didn't do much for himself with that move. I'm not saying he would have won with Morgan, but he will always be second-guessed about not playing her down the stretch. I wonder if this will affect his recruiting? If I am a star player, and not playing well...do I want to sit on the bench and lose a title? Or do I play through my bad game and get the opportunity to turn my game around (which is what 99 per cent of coaches would do in a championship game)?

I think Morgan had "hit the wall" and couldn't push through it. She was exhausted both physically and mentally after the win over UConn and all the media demands and both she and the Coach realized it. MS State had lost twice before to SC and Cuevas-Moore was playing very good pressure defense on her. I think the Coach did what he felt was best for both Morgan and the team. They were playing just as well without her on the floor and he saved her from being blamed for the loss - letting the media focus on his decision to bench her. She said that she understood his decision and knew that she just wasn't able to get the second wind she needed to compete effectively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT