ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing on and OFF the court

I can see where you’re coming from but as this was happening live I literally told my wife it was cringeworthy and was worried about the last 5 minutes.

I’m sure it had very minimal impact but it’s also more the principal to me. There was still plenty of time left and we’re only up by 10 to one of the worst teams in the Power 5.
We're interpreting it differently. You think they're loose because they think the game's in the bag. Maybe you're right, but that's not how I see it.

Reactions: S_Janowski
This was DUKE MARYLAND with Jason Williams esque.
Yes, it reminds me of the game us Maryland fans call "Gone in 60 seconds." They beat Maryland with twenty-point comeback in the final four a month later as well.

Your team will still be in the NCAA tournament in my opinion (BAC's opinion trumps mine, though).

I was pretty miserable last night, I can relate...

BUT ON A SERIOUS NOTE

the chances were trending up at the 5:00 minute mark (insert Africa)

Rutgers lost the game for many reasons.

THE SINGLE BIGGEST MISTAKE was Hyatt not taking the ball over half court. Following was Mulcahy's cross court pass that was intercepted and loss of possession.

If you want to pinpoint where Rutgers really lost that game it was then. Caleb turned it over, followed by a missed free-throw and the failure to put pressure on the rolling ball. Then the shot fake that got Spencer sky high.

IT was not AFRICA.

RU was panicked and didn't expect the full court pressure without the intention to foul. It was not pushed all game until the last 1:07.

This was DUKE MARYLAND with Jason Williams esque.
The Hyatt thing was a killer

Reactions: tm_nj
Pike only played the guys who didn’t sing down the stretch. Should he have played the singers? Tough to say

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
Dean's problem was his time on the court not off it
and perhaps that conduct on the bench is a direct reflection of his focus on the court. HE got torched all night and threw up a weak three. And missed 1 of 2 fouls shots. So folks saying it's meaningless my not have it completely factored in. I thought I was watching women's college softball .

Pikiell has amazing gift of avoiding the heat.

Anger should be redirected from fighting amongst passionate fans and should instead be directed at Pikiell for not tearing into the entire team during any chance he has and demanding they are all locked in and giving 100%. Apparently Pike was satisfied with the 10 point margin in the final stages of the game against the dredge of the league. The bench should have never had a chance to even pick up on what song was being played during timeouts at that point because they should have been getting screamed at (or at very least coached by) the coach with season on the line. It’s obviously not Pike’s coaching style though but if he is going to coach like there is no urgency or importance in the moment than that is on him and not the players. Overall his style seems to be having success and attracting top talent though but nothing is perfect I guess.

You guys keep saying "10 point lead" like that was a bad thing or something. You don't just waltz into minnesota and blow them out by 50 points. Being up 10 with 5 minutes left wasn't a disappointment.

You guys keep saying "10 point lead" like that was a bad thing or something. You don't just waltz into minnesota and blow them out by 50 points. Being up 10 with 5 minutes left wasn't a disappointment.
I was a mess for those 5 to 1.5 mins but when we got to 90 up 10 I just said don't shrink your butt holes and don't let them shoot threes. Foul if you have to. We got this... DAMN!

never forget....thanks Rutgers I have loved this song since I was a kid and now I will just remember it for this debacle

Dang you can see Simpson was feeling confident probably should have played him and let his confidence seal the deal. Not sure why Pike decided to play his tighter players down the stretch and let them then exhibit that tightness repeatedly until the lead was blown. UGH

That didn't look so bad to me, feeling good about a well-played win (at the moment). Based on some of the posts, I thought they'd run out onto the court, pushed the cheerleaders aside, and did a full-blown dance number.

I remember quite a few guys disappearing from the Maryland program after 2013 (including some starters) after they were seen game after game laughing and yucking up on the bench and during timeouts in tight games. I thought that was appropriate. This doesn't seem the same.

I'm an old-school "act like you've been there" kind of guy in sports, but this didn't seem so horrible.

More than a bit.
Always interesting to read a thread like this...especially after we also just had a comeback win at PSU. We go from 'no heart' comments about the Nebraska game...to 'gritty' at PSU...to this, whatever this is, in this thread. All of it talking about the same players and coaches for all 3 games...makes me wonder who has real emotional issues, us or the team lol. Pike is never going be a type who goes down the bench and reprimands players or coaches in front of reporters and cameras. Anyone that does not think that the antics and floor play are not being addressed by Pike at practice post-Minny and pre-Northwestern is crazy. I'm not sure how much juice that this team has left this year, it seems like it has been a difficult, long season. But I'm pretty hopeful that Pike hasn't forgotten how to coach this team the past few days. I prefer/hope to think that Northwestern Coach Collins was throwing stuff at his TV if he was watching the last few minutes of our game with the Gophers. I'm thinking that HE's thinking, "Goddam, now Rutgers is going to be pissed for our game!!!". Anyway, I digress, as usual, lol. GO RU! Paul, get your head screwed on right and lead us on the floor on Sunday! GO RU!

This thread is hilarious. Janowskis going to have ptsd at a wedding 5 years from now when people are jamming to africa. It’s a February game in Minnesota, have to keep things fresh man.
Well you saw the end result our playing jamming to Africa and keeping things fresh . They forgot to CHOP ! Yes chop applies to basket too.

This thread is totally over the top

Having said that …I have noticed plenty thar pike doesn’t get the attention of the guys on the bench so well during timeouts…

I’ve coached and stopped a time out to ask somone sitting on the bench whar I said during the timeoitb…and if they didn’t get it right, they are told thar their rear ends are going to get a lot more use on the bench until you show that you do …..

This thread went in some directions I didn’t expect and I helped fuel that but just want to make a few things straight as I’m sure this will be joked about down the road.

- Of course the play on the court is what lost really lose the game
- I never said the bench was to blame for the loss (Simpson should have been out there)
- The dancing rubbed me the wrong way even when I saw it live (the loss clearly made it worse)
- With the amount of mental and physical lapses that happened in those last few minutes (players and coaches), it does make me wonder where the $uck everyone’s heads were at during that game.
- We throttled that team by 35 first time around. We couldn’t seem to step on their throats and pull away in front of what looked like 2,000 fans to one of the worst Power 5 teams in the country. If I’m the coach and I see my bench dancing and singing with 5 minutes to play with an NCAA tournament on the line it’s not gonna sit well with me.

Maybe some of you guys aren’t invested in this team and program. I watch every single game and also drive about 120 miles 15 + times a year to watch them play. It will piss me off if they don’t make the tournament with the talent they have and a year where the bubble is so soft.

This thread is totally over the top

Having said that …I have noticed plenty thar pike doesn’t get the attention of the guys on the bench so well during timeouts…

I’ve coached and stopped a time out to ask somone sitting on the bench whar I said during the timeoitb…and if they didn’t get it right, they are told thar their rear ends are going to get a lot more use on the bench until you show that you do …..

Still waiting for you to respond to my post in the thread you started saying this was a “rebuilding year”

I feel for our fans who came out to a near empty arena to watch Paul do his usual bs in late game situations, to see our second best ft shooter sit on the bench, to see Andre Hyatt not realize he can cross half court, to see Caleb miss yet another front end of a one and one. I was blessed to experience that earlier this year in Miami blowing an 11 pt lead, just with more time in the game. It’s breathtaking
This. Total embarrassment for the program yet again. Pike looks lost in some many of these situations.
Have to question his leadership. Moved us up from the cellar. Yes. Getting the program to where we all aspire to. Probably not.

and perhaps that conduct on the bench is a direct reflection of his focus on the court. HE got torched all night and threw up a weak three. And missed 1 of 2 fouls shots. So folks saying it's meaningless my not have it completely factored in. I thought I was watching women's college softball .
Torched all night lol, what a stupid post. The kid played 3 minutes and none end game.

When Woolfork and Reiber were in the game Minny went inside and scored at will. They are both soft as charmin.

These type of posts are the ones that bother me the most.

You want to vent about the team’s performance the last two minutes. Go ahead. Want to analyze actual plays, have at it. Just scream they blew it? Fine, I’m sure they’d tell you the same.

But calling a kid like Woolf charmin soft? First of all, what kid have you been watching this year. He’s physical as hell. Throws his body around. He makes guy pay for setting screens. Watch him against Michigan he JACKED up Dickenson twice to the point where he had to flop and get a BS foul call because he didn’t want it. And he’s been that way all year. Is he ready to be a guy you can count on a true frosh in the B1G? No, he’s not. But there is zero shame in that he just started to focus on hoops. He’s going to a GOOD player for us his Junior and Senior year.

And second, god I would love for some of you internet tough guys to call a guy like him Charmin soft to his face. He’s tough as $hit and works his a$$ off.

Guy like him could play on my team any day of the week.

Still waiting for you to respond to my post in the thread you started saying this was a “rebuilding year”

You still misunderstood my post

The point was …the reaction and take was so awful even though we are 18-12, still in the ncaa , and have a lot to play …

…so what would it be like on this forum if we had a 12-18 season in a true rebuilding year ???

You still misunderstood my post

The point was …the reaction and take was so awful even though we are 18-12, still in the ncaa , and have a lot to play …

…so what would it be like on this forum if we had a 12-18 season in a true rebuilding year ???

I mean you’re original post was about 3 sentences…one being that this is a rebuilding year.

Completely disagree that this is a rebuilding year and I think many others would as well which is why folks were so fired up/disappointed with the loss against Minny.

I do agree with you that there’s no room for personal shots at players which some people resorted to.

Hopefully the DJ at UNC-Charlotte’s arena plays lots of Africa next season so Dean Reiber can have some more dance a longs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT