ADVERTISEMENT

Mulcahy after NJIT

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
First of all - crazy stat line. ZERO points, but seven assists and one turnover. Seven assists????

My guess is that at some point Mathis becomes a sixth man with Mulcahy becoming a point forward. The kid is ready to dish.

First of all - crazy stat line. ZERO points, but seven assists and one turnover. Seven assists????

My guess is that at some point Mathis becomes a sixth man with Mulcahy becoming a point forward. The kid is ready to dish.

The home statistician has latitude in what is called an assist. Clearly one of our guy’s rules is that if an offensive player dribbles twice, there is no assist. At least that’s how he views post play. I followed Paul’s passing very closely tonight and he was not given an assist on 3 of Myles’ post ups where Myles dribbled just twice and once for Harper. I would have had him for 11 assists. He had a great game!

The home statistician has latitude in what is called an assist. Clearly one of our guy’s rules is that if an offensive player dribbles twice, there is no assist. At least that’s how he views post play. I followed Paul’s passing very closely tonight and he was not given an assist on 3 of Myles’ post ups where Myles dribbled just twice and once for Harper. I would have had him for 11 assists. He had a great game!
Totally agree!!! Was counting as well

Reactions: ScarletDave
why is Young playing? He is selfish all the way and he obviously thinks he is a lot better than he is. If he can't finish against the non-conference teams what is he going to do against the BIG opponents, literally and figuratively?

Even during the last 2 minutes of the game with 3 bench players on the floor, he wouldn’t pass the ball. Drove for a failed dunk attempt (somehow ball still squirted in), and I believe chucked a 3.

Should have let the other 3 guys get some touches and shots.

Kind of pissed me off.

Paul only took one shot and was our first sub in today. I told all of you how good he was passing the ball and most had doubts. Some said he should redshirt. The kid can play. I think he will play more minutes than both Mathis and Young very soon. He is that good. He doesn't care if he scores he just wants to feed nice passes to his teammates. He is wonderful to watch. I hope GRF saw him tonight. He never seemed to think much of Paul.

Big fan of Paul’s game. He gets in there for some tough rebounds too. His D was decent today. But the exceptional part of his game is clearly his vision and dishability.

Guys play more actively and look to get open more when Paul has the ball, because they know he’ll find them.

The reason we won so comfortably is for the first time in 6 games we fed the post. Paul is the one that initiated and continued it. Myles finally was given the ball and showed what he could do, although against a smaller guy than he will be facing in the Big 10 but he was terrific tonight on both ends. Paul also found Ron and got him the ball when it was a mismatch and Ron dominated with 25 points on an efficient 12-16 from the field. Very telling that Coach finally put in Paul before Jacob tonight and I am hoping it is not a one time thing . His assist to turnover ratio will be 3/1 which for a freshman will be unreal. He sees the floor and keeps his head at all times. His offense will come slowly but his court savvy and point guard skills is something we have missed for too long. He feeds the post better than any of the guards and that includes Geo, as I wished Geo did it more. We have a real good one at the point or as point forward .

Myles finally was given the ball and showed what he could do, although against a smaller guy than he will be facing in the Big 10 but he was terrific tonight on both ends. .
#1 takeaway from the NJIT game.

Last edited:
Saw the same thing.

I think the entire team benefits from having not just Mulcahy, but more Young and McConnell in the mix. Geo is also bringing the ball up as well.

If Mulcahy would take and make that midrange shot at the foul line against the zone like Harper, teams playing zone will have tougher times stopping RU

Mulcahy has earned minutes and the staff has quickly figured out how to use him. The concept of the PG only having the ball at the top of the key and passing from there, isn't the only way.

And the better our passing is, opens up 1 on 1 in the post with Myles and Shaq Carter...Myles took full advantage...Carter needs to improve more in those spots and the entire assist total goes up.

How much vanilla 2-3 zones will we see when the real games start
Most Big 10 teams except Iowa will play us straight up man to man and sprinkle in zone if we dominate down low. We are getting really good at playing zone , whether it is that Pittsburgh play that is called, where our third guard usually Paul gets it at the top of the key and gets it down low to the big man flashing or to Ron or Myles or Akwasi at the foul line for a shot or swing to the wings for a wide open three. I welcome teams playing us zone now. Against man we have to pound it down low and play inside out and hopefully more plays are called and less one on one, Although we have 3-4 guys that can beat their man .

Our ability to pound the ball down low was a combination of our execution and playing an opponent that didn't have length and didn't put much pressure on guards.

Reactions: Kbee3
Up until yesterday vanilla 2-3 zones were the best way to defend us.

It was just dumb for NJIT to play more than a token possession of zone. It was just to easy too for us to hit the flasher at the foul line. Kudos to the staff for having the right personnel in the right spot and for the players to execute.

It was just dumb for NJIT to play more than a token possession of zone. It was just to easy too for us to hit the flasher at the foul line. Kudos to the staff for having the right personnel in the right spot and for the players to execute.
Ron and Myles were carving them up against man, so they had litttle choice. We dominated a smaller team every which way, against man, zone, fast breaks, half court offense. It was hopefully a sign of things to come.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Ron and Myles were carving them up against man, so they had litttle choice. We dominated a smaller team every which way, against man, zone, fast breaks, half court offense. It was hopefully a sign of things to come.

The best way to stop a team that is dominating you down low is to have your guards play tight defense.

#2 getting in to foul trouble is something that I haven't seen mentioned, but was absolutely the most important thing that happened in the game.

The best way to stop a team that is dominating you down low is to have your guards play tight defense.

#2 getting in to foul trouble is something that I haven't seen mentioned, but was absolutely the most important thing that happened in the game

Respect your opinion, and #2 started the game really hot, but you dismiss the fact that we totally took their top scorer out of his game. Totally. And played our best game of the year. Efficient on offense. Hit 3's. Dominated the boards. You are reaching with that comment.

Respect your opinion, and #2 started the game really hot, but you dismiss the fact that we totally took their top scorer out of his game. Totally. And played our best game of the year. Efficient on offense. Hit 3's. Dominated the boards. You are reaching with that comment.

No doubt....maybe my wording was bad.

1. Montez Mathis starts on Cooks and essentially eliminates him from the game
2. #2 picks up slack and gets in foul trouble
3. Mulcahy and Myles Johnson take the game over on the offensive end
4. Harper finishes inside and out

Those are the omoruyi (cliff) notes

Mulcahy penetrates under control, maintains his dribble, forces the D to react, and moves the ball. It's very effective.

Reactions: RU82
GRF, I never said Paul was a star but he sure can pass the ball and to me his rebounding and defense are pretty good as well. He doesn't care if he scores he just likes to set up his teammates. You must admit you didn't think Paul would play much of a role when he signed with RU. You had a lot of doubts about him.

Stop it already. He is a very important part of the team. He isnt a star. He has a lot to work on.
Oh I'm sorry, was anyone expecting him to be a day one star? Big ten all first or second team? No. Was anyone expecting him to be bad? Yes. You. Keep adding to your assery.

He looks fantastic..better than I expected at that point.

Loving Mulcahy's game as a facilitator right now. He definitely helped amplify Harper's game last night, and did a great job putting guys in a position to succeed. I liked after he drew the double team and got an assist under the basket that he celebrated as if he'd had a breakaway dunk - seems like he really loves making people around him better.

His defense has also improved a bit. As he was starting to flag a bit at one point, Pike wisely rotated him out - then he came back in back on track.

After the last couple of games, I think more of Young's minutes should start flowing to Mulcahy and Mathis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT