ADVERTISEMENT

Mulcahy after NJIT

GRF, I never said Paul was a star but he sure can pass the ball and to me his rebounding and defense are pretty good as well. He doesn't care if he scores he just likes to set up his teammates. You must admit you didn't think Paul would play much of a role when he signed with RU. You had a lot of doubts about him.

Paul has been exactly what I thought he would be so far. A pass first point guard with a very good handle, great teammate and a huge liability defensively.

Paul has been exactly what I thought he would be so far. A pass first point guard with a very good handle, great teammate and a huge liability defensively.

He wasn't a huge liability last night. I DVR'd the game and watched it again, his footwork was much better on man/exterior D last night and he was able to stay in front of his man most of the time. His team D is still a work in progress. As with any Frosh, it will take time for him to learn & grow to the speed at this level.

Further, on offense (especially for a Point Guard/Forward) he only had one turnover and 7 assists, but that's not really the entire story. The entire offense ran arguably at it's best when he was in the game and especially at the high post. I could only find a couple of mistakes the entire game and his assist level was under-reported. As a junior, I see him as RU's best player.

why is Young playing? He is selfish all the way and he obviously thinks he is a lot better than he is. If he can't finish against the non-conference teams what is he going to do against the BIG opponents, literally and figuratively?

we have had such players before, very nice moves to the basket, pretty decent shots here and there, but the ball doesn't go down....
he might have a game or two where the ball drops for him.....problem is, once it does, it will encourage him to shoot more and more.

as to Johnson, the pre-game announcers on the radio predicted that Pickell would try to get him going more, in this game...and you could see that come about.... the other team was over matched in the middle and this became a good chance to work on his game and confidence.

I saw Doucoure in earlier than usual, probably with the same motive in mind....unfortunately not with the same result.....I was really hoping that he would
blossom and be a big man who could help us more.....could still happen, he has to keep working.

No .No. No. No.

Please don't take a game vs. NJIT to form opinions.

It's not just the NJIT game (he's got 18 assists to 5 tov, and he's got the highest assist rate on the team adjusted for minutes played) , but I agree that we shouldn't be starting Mulcahy. I do think he should be ahead of Young in the rotation, though. Should be the primary guard off the bench.

Reactions: goru7 and satnom
Paul's play is forcing Coach to play him minutes. On a team with a bunch of pretty talented guards that is very positive. He looks like he is going to be a terrific player.

It's not just the NJIT game (he's got 18 assists to 5 tov, and he's got the highest assist rate on the team adjusted for minutes played) , but I agree that we shouldn't be starting Mulcahy. I do think he should be ahead of Young in the rotation, though. Should be the primary guard off the bench.

I'd be curious if Russ Wood has any stats about our offensive efficiency with Paul in the game. Is there a points per possession with him in the game or any other stats that can quantify his impact on offense?

Reactions: RUChoppin
I'd be curious if Russ Wood has any stats about our offensive efficiency with Paul in the game. Is there a points per possession with him in the game or any other stats that can quantify his impact on offense?
Hey GRF, how about an update on +|- for each player over the first 6 games so far? I’d do it myself but I don’t know where to locate that stat. Always find that stat enlightening (even though it has its flaws).

Mulcahy playing that high post/zone buster position will be great. We got some phenomenal looks out of feeding him at the key/FT line and passing out
He is so effective there and, as said above, even more so once he gets comfortable as a shooting threat from there.

Hey GRF, how about an update on +|- for each player over the first 6 games so far? I’d do it myself but I don’t know where to locate that stat. Always find that stat enlightening (even though it has its flaws).

+ / - not in box score the past few games

Post game Pike did quote a few players plus minus so he looks at it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT