ADVERTISEMENT

Mulcahy

Eagleton96

All American
Jul 25, 2001
He's 37% from 3. Why doesn't he take more? That could be a game changer for his game and this team. A floater, plus more aggressive shooting, and he'd be all conference. Seems like these are things that can be coached. I'd like to see him open up more.

Last night was the epitome of what we are talking about with Paul and NJHawk had a great write up; We got the good Paul who made the great play at the end of the half, shot and made the 3 pointer in transition and even though he missed the second 3 I love that he shot it in the flow that is what he needs to do;
But the perfect example of Paul in the one sequence he grabs the offensive rebound the clock resets to 20 seconds and he holds the ball for 18 seconds only to pass it to Geo who bails him out with a long 3 at the end of the shot clock; twice he drives into the lane with no where to go and just throws the ball away; he passes up a wide open 15 foot jump shot in the corner only to drive into the lane
He as Hawk and others have said has to shoot the ball more
It was no coincidence that his minutes were shortened last night and JY's increased and we won big as the floor was open more and of course its no coincidence that if you hit 3's you are going to win

Been saying this from game 1 this year. He has the complete ability to score and when he drives of he looked for his shot more it would open up his game and create mismatches for their defense. There is just a lot of tape on him now and they know he is pass first.
If you could take Mathis and PM and combine them into one you have a major threat on offense.
This is exactly why I love Young bc he is aggressive going to the basket and that opens up everything for us and keeps the other team honest.

Reactions: satnom and hiwater
He did not seem to get many minutes in the second half. Is that accurate? I agree that he would be much more effective offensively if defenses have to honor his ability to shoot from the perimeter. Because that has not been there his drives to the hoop have suffered resulting in more turnovers.

Reactions: hiwater
He did not seem to get many minutes in the second half. Is that accurate? I agree that he would be much more effective offensively if defenses have to honor his ability to shoot from the perimeter. Because that has not been there his drives to the hoop have suffered resulting in more turnovers.
Still played 10-11 minutes in the second half

He's 37% from 3. Why doesn't he take more? That could be a game changer for his game and this team. A floater, plus more aggressive shooting, and he'd be all conference. Seems like these are things that can be coached. I'd like to see him open up more.

Been saying all year Paul HAS soshoot more especially to justify 30mins.

Also been saying McConnel needs less time because he’s our worst shooter.

Last night they both had minutes cut for a total of 10-20 and those minutes went to our best scorers.

Not a coincidence the offense clicked.

Paul played a great game last night and noticed he played a lot less of his minutes on the ball and really moved off ball well to help create space for our scorers and moved the defense.

Paul played a great game last night and noticed he played a lot less of his minutes on the ball and really moved off ball well to help create space for our scorers and moved the defense.

This. He didn't play his best game - but he moved without the ball, and forced the defense to adjust inside the arc instead of sagging off players just camping in the corner. When he's putting pressure on the defense inside with movement, even when he doesn't touch the ball, he's creating openings that other players can take advantage of.

Agree he needs to shoot more overall - but when he's on the floor with a lineup of scorers (like last night with Baker/Young/Harper/Johnson all being on point), he doesn't have to shoot as much to make an impact.

He hasn't been as sharp since the Iowa game, though - and I'm wondering if either the broken nose, or having to wear the facemask, is affecting him. 56 ast/27 tov going into the game where he took two Garza elbows.... and 10/10 since.

Also of note, if he went to the rim on some of his drives, he'd likely get to the line a lot.

This. He didn't play his best game - but he moved without the ball, and forced the defense to adjust inside the arc instead of sagging off players just camping in the corner. When he's putting pressure on the defense inside with movement, even when he doesn't touch the ball, he's creating openings that other players can take advantage of.

Agree he needs to shoot more overall - but when he's on the floor with a lineup of scorers (like last night with Baker/Young/Harper/Johnson all being on point), he doesn't have to shoot as much to make an impact.

He hasn't been as sharp since the Iowa game, though - and I'm wondering if either the broken nose, or having to wear the facemask, is affecting him. 56 ast/27 tov going into the game where he took two Garza elbows.... and 10/10 since.
The problem is that our scorers aren't very efficient, and actually really bad from 3 in long stretches. And consistency from 3 has been our Achilles' heel. JY hits 38.5% from 3, PM is 36.6%. Baker and Harper are 33%, but prone to long cold snaps. So PM hitting 2-3 3PT FGs in games where Harper/Geo are cold could win us a few games.

Last edited:
Probably because he would be a 29% shooter if there was more volume.

Geo bailed him out on the last second 3.

Probably because he would be a 29% shooter if there was more volume.

Geo bailed him out on the last second 3.
Also since he's a pass-first guy, seems like he's only shooting 3s when he has a wide open look. Nothing against him though, he's a HUGE asset to the team, but I don't think future RU is going to be able to ride him shooting 40% from 3.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Had a preseason argument here over PM shooting threes.

I showed he was shooting 33% last season and was our 3rd best 3-point shooter coming back.. RHJ was best and geo was barely better than PM, iirc. Many here argued that hsi sht was ugly.. he form looked pretty good to me.

But early this year.. he show looked bad.. he still made 33%.. pretty consistent there.. but at times it came off as a 2-hand shot.. just weird. But his shots in this game looked nice.. stepping into it.. maybe he shouldn't take it from the corner were there is little room to step into a shot. Maybe he needs to be a top of the arc guy.

but, yes.. if he is hitting 33% or better from 3 that's like 50% or better from 2. He needs tot ake those shots when they present themselves.. otherside its like turning down an open 2.. which he has done as well.. to pass.

NOT taking the shot is almost like a turnover... maybe we need to show him all the times he did NOT take an open shot where we came away with nothing that possession.

Reactions: BillyC80
I half-agree with Rice....he's reluctant to shoot unless wide open, so you can't compare his percentage with Geo, Young, Harper or even Caleb and Montez. Any time contested, even just a little, he passes even with just seconds on the clock.

His are almost set-shots.

Reactions: zebnatto
The problem is that our scorers aren't very efficient, and actually really bad from 3 in long stretches. And consistency from 3 has been our Achilles' heel. JY hits 38.5% from 3, PM is 36.6%. Baker and Harper are 33%, but prone to long cold snaps. So PM hitting 2-3 3PT FGs in games where Harper/Geo are cold could win us a few games.

Yes - when our shooters are on, he doesn't need to look for his shot as much. But when our scorers are struggling, he really needs to take the open looks he gets. He probably passes up 2-3 good shots per game because it's earlier in the shot clock and he's trying to find a way to feed a teammate.

I disagree. The shots he makes and takes are no more or less good looks than the other shooters.
I'd like to see a chart of 3 point shooting in basketball by time left in the shot clock. There is a reason why we see more and more of guys not attempting half court heaves at the end of quarters/halfs as some dont want to dent their %.

I'd like to think there have been 5 possessions this year where the shot clock expired while the ball was in Paul's hands. If Geo has the ball it is a step back 3 . Paul knows he can't get a shot off with a dribble.

Yes - when our shooters are on, he doesn't need to look for his shot as much. But when our scorers are struggling, he really needs to take the open looks he gets. He probably passes up 2-3 good shots per game because it's earlier in the shot clock and he's trying to find a way to feed a teammate.
or worse late in the shot clock

Reactions: RUChoppin
I never said he's all conference. Not the way he's playing now. You missed the "if" part.
And I'm saying that even if your "if" comes true, and he has a floater and is more aggressive, he's still not going to be all conference. Again, good player to have on the team. Love him. But he's not going to be all conference. No reason to reach.

I think the issue with PM is that he regularly passes up good looks earlier in the shot clock, and too often that look ends up being the best look we get in the possession. That's why I think he has room to increase his volume without lowering his %. That's not typical, but most wing/guards don't regularly pass up good looks from 3 when they are hitting at 36%.

And I'm saying that even if your "if" comes true, and he has a floater and is more aggressive, he's still not going to be all conference. Again, good player to have on the team. Love him. But he's not going to be all conference. No reason to reach.
I respectfully disagree. But those are big "ifs". If everyone could just develop new elements of their game, everyone would do it. It's not easy. But if he did, I think he has the rest of the package.

With Paul’s vision he could so easily adjust to the pass when he penetrates. He should look to score in the paint first, then if needed adjust to the pass.

Adjusting to the shot is way more difficult. If you are looking to pass all the time, the defense picks up on that, forcing either turnovers or the player stopping and getting stuck looking for a bailout.

I respectfully disagree. But those are big "ifs". If everyone could just develop new elements of their game, everyone would do it. It's not easy. But if he did, I think he has the rest of the package.
Even now, with his selective shooting, he's not even in the top 30 in the league in 3-point percentage shooting. You can be a really good, winning player in this league and not be all-conference. That's what Paul is on his way to being.

Reactions: FMT
I'd like to see a chart of 3 point shooting in basketball by time left in the shot clock. There is a reason why we see more and more of guys not attempting half court heaves at the end of quarters/halfs as some dont want to dent their %.

I'd like to think there have been 5 possessions this year where the shot clock expired while the ball was in Paul's hands. If Geo has the ball it is a step back 3 . Paul knows he can't get a shot off with a dribble.
Look.. we know Geo and Harper can make their own shot opportunities.. but should we rely on them to do that?

So Paul uses his legs and moves without the ball to get an open shot.. why is that worse than a guy who has a guy on him, with the ball, and then has to create a shot? Shooting percentage is shooting percentage.

I don't care if the guy creates his shot or moves without the ball and sets he feet properly to be able to shoot when the pass comes his way. In fact, I'd prefer to see fewer shots where people need one on one moves to succeed.

Even now, with his selective shooting, he's not even in the top 30 in the league in 3-point percentage shooting. You can be a really good, winning player in this league and not be all-conference. That's what Paul is on his way to being.
He is top 2 on this team.

My guess is that the majority of the forwards and guards from last year's all Big Ten team shot a lower percentage than that.

My guess is that the majority of the forwards and guards from last year's all Big Ten team shot a lower percentage than that.

Mulcahy would need to essentially double his scoring to make any of the All-B1G teams. Only D'Mitrik Trice and Geo Baker on the 3rd team scored fewer than 12.9 ppg - and Geo benefited from some perception as "Mr. Clutch". Mulcahy's currently scoring 5.8 ppg in 28.5 min.

So, if you're changing you point to suggest that Paul can be in the top half of players in the league, you won't get an argument from me. He certainly can be.

Mulcahy would need to essentially double his scoring to make any of the All-B1G teams. Only D'Mitrik Trice and Geo Baker on the 3rd team scored fewer than 12.9 ppg - and Geo benefited from some perception as "Mr. Clutch". Mulcahy's currently scoring 5.8 ppg in 28.5 min.
Back to my original argument...the whole point is a hypothetical about Mulcahy increasing his offensive output. So yes, I agree, he'd have double his scoring. I think if he had a floater and took open threes, his assists would also go up as people now have to defend the shot.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Paul is improving in all facets of the game. Above all, he has become a very good defender. Great to see

I see him improving all the time and think he has a lot more upside. Right now he seems to have decided he is going to pass before he even drives and defenders have picked up on that. The more he does shoot and score the more comfortable he becomes. He will keep working on everything until he does it well. I expect him to be very, very good by senior year. His growth reminds me of Eugene O, who is a complete player now and will be all Pac 12. Paul could get there as well although its definitely much hard in BIG10.

Back to my original argument...the whole point is a hypothetical about Mulcahy increasing his offensive output. So yes, I agree, he'd have double his scoring. I think if he had a floater and took open threes, his assists would also go up as people now have to defend the shot.

When you see players suddenly jump up in points/game, it's usually because they jumped up in minutes. Generally players don't double their scoring when they're already getting nearly 30 min/game.

Not saying it's impossible, or that Mulcahy's scoring won't improve over the next two years as he starts looking more for his shot - but doubling up is a tall order.

I'm not sure how I'm changing my argument. Could you please explain?
Sure. Your original point said that he could be all conference if shot more and got a floater. I responded that, even without shooting more, he's already outside the league top 30 in 3-point shooting %. Then you guessed that he shot better than the majority of forwards and guards in the leauge, meaning he's top half. I responded that top half isn't all conference, your original point. You asked me to explain. I just did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT