ADVERTISEMENT

National anthem

phlop87

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2003
not sure if this was mentioned in any of the other threads (forgive me if it was). Why did Washington hang in the tunnel until after the national anthem was played? I have never seen it where both teams were. Or on the field for the playing of the national anthem. Were they making a statement ? Mistake with the clock in the locker room ? I hope it was a mistake and not the coaches/team decision

Penn State did not come on the field last year until after the anthem either.

why is there no light on the giant American flag,but a light on the 2 foot one?

Reactions: BigLou
I heard some teams do this to prevent any "statements". Started wth women's pro soccer team in Seattle a few weeks after Kapernick kneeling

You can Avoid any Kapernick-like situations or unrelated distractions, but sadly the whole team suffers because one guy has a belief that probably can be made independently and be more effective in a different medium

Last edited:
Not anthem related, but did I miss the 50/50? No students were selling them in the blue Lot and I don't recall hearing a drawing in the 3rd quarter? Or did I miss it...

Penn State was afraid of me last year after they heard about my four times shouting:"Hands down" to the Ann Arbor Alinsky Anarchists from behind the Michigan bench.

Penn State was afraid of me last year after they heard about my four times shouting:"Hands down" to the Ann Arbor Alinsky Anarchists from behind the Michigan bench.

You mean this:

FB_IMG_1504408201449_zps7fiz8rrz.jpg

Penn State
FB_IMG_1504408232258_zpshclxxin4.jpg

Indiana

FB_IMG_1504408260018_zpsvkzwj9pq.jpg

Iowa stood at attention

FB_IMG_1504408285968_zpsdtq5irsj.jpg

Last edited:
why is there no light on the giant American flag,but a light on the 2 foot one?

your question bothered me so I checked. there are lights under the flag outside of the stadium. I verified this with Ron Garutti last night when I saw him. He is part of the Class of '67 who donated the flag.

If the coaches are trying to avoid a distraction, then I guess I'd rather them stay in the tunnel. The real solution is simple: tell the kids that the team rule is that you respect the anthem and flag. Breaking the team rule means you don't play (for a preset amount of time). All you need to do is lay the hammer down once and respect will be given.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
This ain't America anymore when people don't respect the anthem.
I think people are missing the point. Everyone's focus on the anthem. It's not about that. You ask any black person in this country and they will say, "they love America more than America loves them." Kaepernick is using the anthem to bring to light about police brutality. Sometimes you have to shock people in order to get them to respond. The hardest thing for most white people this country is to understand something when you're never experienced it. You see the world differently. Most of my rights in this country are courtesy of an act by Congress. And every few decades these acts have to be review and renewed. It's not a god-given right like a lot of people in this country.

Btw, the third verse in the national anthem is directed towards blacks helping England and how they need to be dealt with. As blacks in this country we don't hold that against America yet when one voices opinion outside the general consensus he or she is considered ungrateful. As you can see I am angry. I've kept quiet on this because this is not the place for it, but if you continue to belittle Kaepernick you belittling all blacks and I feel insulted. I like most blacks love this country and 99% of people that are in it. It's the one percent that makes it difficult to handle day in and day out. It's the sheriff in Arizona and the police officer in Georgia who made the statement "we only shoot blacks." Those are the people we dislike and they need to be addressed because they're in a position of power to affect everyone's lives. Police brutality/harassment is part of why I left Colorado to come the Rutgers. I suggest some of you watch ESPN''s 30 for 30 "The Gospel According to Mac." That'll help you understand what was going on out there. University of Colorado hat 27,000 students and less than 250 blacks enrolled. Some people felt it was their right to insult us because they felt comfortable and they were in a dominant position. I grew up in Hackensack which is a mixed town. I was never exposed to hatred on this level.

The first day I moved into my dorms as a freshman at Colorado two police officers showed up at my room. They claim to be there to get to know you. My roommate Brent Branch, the son of Cliff Branch, knew the CU officers and said this is routine. The officers on their way out said to Brent don't be like the rest of those N.... and cut his words off before finishing it. They left and didn't check with any other students on the floor just us. It was their way of getting a feel for which freshman maybe trouble going into a new school year. I asked several white students did they have the police visit them and they said no. The only people who verify my experience were other black students.

It's hard for anyone that's not black to understand this. I've never been in trouble. I worked with several police organizations, but yet I'm still under the spotlight with certain ones because of my skin color. I look at some of the officers and they're not bad people, just screwed up values that affect everyone around them.

Last edited:
Note....under GS the team came out after the National Anthem was played. I don't think it had anything to do with some of the protests we see today. Probably trying to maintain some type of an edge and entrance for some other reason.

Cubuff, that's really bad news and unacceptable. Unfortunately it appears that Colorado is worse than southern states. Sad to see.

Sorry to hear about that experience. Personally I don't mind the fist in the air. The kneeling bothers me because to me the flag and the anthem remind me of the sacrifices so many have made on behalf of this country and I feel that kneeling or sitting is disrespectful.

Sorry cuff, stats dont support you or black America
Stats don't tell the whole story. If you were to experience it I bet your opinion would be different. It like reading a history book. You understand what took place, but at the same time you REALLY don't understand what took place. You weren't there to experience it. I didn't expect you to agree, but I expected to understand there is more than one point of view when it comes to certain life experiences.

Last edited:
I think people are missing the point. Everyone's focus on the anthem. It's not about that. You ask any black person in this country and they will say, "they love America more than America loves them." Kaepernick is using the anthem to bring to light about police brutality. Sometimes you have to shock people in order to get them to respond. The hardest thing for most white people this country is to understand something when you're never experienced it. You see the world differently. Most of my rights in this country are courtesy of an act by Congress. And every few decades these acts have to be review and renewed. It's not a god-given right like a lot of people in this country.

Btw, the third verse in the national anthem is directed towards blacks helping England and how they need to be dealt with. As blacks in this country we don't hold that against America yet when one voices opinion outside the general consensus he or she is considered ungrateful. As you can see I am angry. I've kept quiet on this because this is not the place for it, but if you continue to belittle Kaepernick you belittling all blacks and I feel insulted. I like most blacks love this country and 99% of people that are in it. It's the one percent that makes it difficult to handle day in and day out. It's the sheriff in Arizona and the police officer in Georgia who made the statement "we only shoot blacks." Those are the people we dislike and they need to be addressed because they're in a position of power to affect everyone's lives. Police brutality/harassment is part of why I left Colorado to come the Rutgers. I suggest some of you watch ESPN''s 30 for 30 "The Gospel According to Mac." That'll help you understand what was going on out there. University of Colorado hat 27,000 students and less than 250 blacks enrolled. Some people felt it was their right to insult us because they felt comfortable and they were in a dominant position. I grew up in Hackensack which is a mixed town. I was never exposed to hatred on this level.

The first day I moved into my dorms as a freshman at Colorado two police officers showed up at my room. They claim to be there to get to know you. My roommate Brent Branch, the son of Cliff Branch, knew the CU officers and said this is routine. The officers on their way out said to Brent don't be like the rest of those N.... and cut his words off before finishing it. They left and didn't check with any other students on the floor just us. It was their way of getting a feel for which freshman maybe trouble going into a new school year. I asked several white students did they have the police visit them and they said no. The only people who verify my experience were other black students.

It's hard for anyone that's not black to understand this. I've never been in trouble. I worked with several police organizations, but yet I'm still under the spotlight with certain ones because of my skin color. I look at some of the officers and they're not bad people, just screwed up values that affect everyone around them.

I try to stay fairly quiet on this too but Cuff nails it. As a parent, I am in a pretty unique position where I have 2 white sons from my first marriage and now have a wife and stepsons that are Jamaican. All are very well educated, smart, respectful, law abiding and love America. But, I get to see the differences first hand on how I am treated and my sons from my first marriage are treated and looked at vs my wife and step sons.
It has nothing to do with respecting America or the service.

Sorry to hear about that experience. Personally I don't mind the fist in the air. The kneeling bothers me because to me the flag and the anthem remind me of the sacrifices so many have made on behalf of this country and I feel that kneeling or sitting is disrespectful.
Sacrifice? 1 out of every 5 soldiers in the War of Independence (1776) were black. They were fighting for the survival of this country, yet didn't have the rights they were fighting for. Black soldiers/sailors and marines fought in WW2 to stop the spread of Nazism and promote democracy, yet they didn't have it at home. Remember the little things like "Whites only" and "Colored only" water fountain or blacks only allowed to sit at the back of the bus. Those things are unimaginable now, but those are small sacrifices blacks dealt with for a long time. Now they have been replace by other more subtle things just as degrading and dehumanizing.

Sacrifice? 1 out of every 5 soldiers in the War of Independence (1776) were black. They were fighting for the survival of this country, yet didn't have the rights they were fighting for. Black soldiers/sailors and marines fought in WW2 to stop the spread of Nazism and promote democracy, yet they didn't have it at home. Remember the little things like "Whites only" and "Colored only" water fountain or blacks only allowed to sit at the back of the bus. Those things are unimaginable now, but those are small sacrifices blacks dealt with for a long time. Now they have been replace by other more subtle things just as degrading and dehumanizing.
I did not differentiate the sacrifices by color nor disavow prior or current inequities.

I still think it's nice where we can have a discussion like this (and similar ones) and not have to worry about guys in dark suits with sunglasses and earpieces knocking on our doors to "discuss" what we typed.

The Noble Experiment is just that, an experiment that is and will continue to evolve as we do some things right and some things wrong. Hopefully as each run happens we end up with more in the right column than the wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUforester72
I did not differentiate the sacrifices by color nor disavow prior or current inequities.
Sometimes you have to yell "fire" in the movie theater in order to grab the attention of everyone to an important matter. So far normal lines of communication haven't work, so you go to unconventional methods. Back in 1968 (Olympics) several black american athlete raised their fist in protest. People called for their head and they were un-american. Fast forward 50 years and everyone sees it different. Those same athletes were just expressing their beliefs about injustice taking place in america at the time. We don't see it with the same contempt. It seen as a source of diversity/pride that makes this country great.

Sometimes you have to yell "fire" in the movie theater in order to grab the attention of everyone to an important matter.
There is a reason why that's not allowed.

EDITED to add I don't the raising of the fist or the kneeling is the right analogy here.

Last edited:
CUbuffsdoug makes a powerful point about the problems of Afro-Americans/blacks in t his country. OTOH, I don't see kneeling during the anthem as in any way confronting the problem of racism. And it undercuts one of his points, which is that Afro-Americans/blacks have been powerful and patriotic contributors to protecting the flag that the Star-Spangled Banner honors.

I have absolutely no problem if anyone wants to kneel, sit, or put a fist in the air during the national anthem. They should be allowed as long as they do so quietly and aren't disrupting things.

This thread should be locked. It's not worth debating on this board.

Stats don't tell the whole story. If you were to experience it I bet your opinion would be different. It like reading a history book. You understand what took place, but at the same time you REALLY don't understand what took place. You weren't there to experience it. I didn't expect you to agree, but I expected to understand there is more than one point of view when it comes to certain life experiences.
The stats dont support it by enough to call bs on the narrative

Anything else?

The stats dont support it by enough to call bs on the narrative

Anything else?
Like Dr. King said, don't judge me by the color of skin, but by the content of my character. You my friend are a ....:rolleyes: i think you're being difficult for the sake of arguing. This refusal to even look at the situation with an open mind. I'll just start calling you Jefferson Davis.

Great posts cubuff!

I am not a Black American but I do laugh when I see posts on FB from these so called patriot Americans who never felt racism in their life. Meanwhile these same people are cheering for players who beat their wifes, have violent and drug crime charges against them but God forbid someone try's and make a statement by kneeling or fist in the air.
Another thing, the American Flag is not for certain groups of Americans. The Armed Forces deserve all the respect we can give them but the American Flag does not represent just them. It represents everyone that is an American be that person being white, black , brown, yellow, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu......
The Flag would mean nothing if it didn't represent everyone and the freedom it represents even if it is to protest.

BTW I stand and put my hat over my heart and sign along with the SSB.

Is The Bill of Rights or The Anthem more important?

Is our country defined by a document or a song?

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Did they play the alma mater pregame or did I just miss it? I don't remember them playing it after the national anthem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT