ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Day 2 Thread

He got out of a tie up and was standing out of bounds and didn’t make much effort to come back in. He’s gotta be more aware but that’s a pretty lame call, especially against a guy who gains nothing by wasting time out of bounds while trailing late in the match.
Thats a ridiculous call and really cost him the match unfortunately. Agree about awareness

Head, fatigue, whatever the excuse, that guy looked like he’d be the 8th best wrestler in the big 10 heavyweight class. They need to fix the seeding formula and give more weight to coaches ranks or give bonus points for wrestling in the big 10 or something. Yara was in the control the whole time, something that you couldn’t say in half of his big 10 matches.
I don't disagree that B1G gets penalized in the current seeding system while weak conference champions get way too many seeding points (e.g., Conigliaro as the 5 seed).

I will however defend Yonger here as he was undefeated coming in to NCAAs and had beaten #3 (Hendrickson), #4 (Schultz), #7 (Elam) twice, #8 (Davison), and #9 (Feldman). There was a good argument to make that Yonger should have been the #1 seed at NCAAs since Kerkvliet had wrestled so few matches.

The B10 grind is real.
Many overrated wrestlers from other conferences
B10 prepares you for adversity
Wasnt Slav ranked 8 last year and only made boodround?
Happens every year.. teams like NC State get overseeded(weak schedule) and always underperform.. every .. damn .. year….

On another note, can anyone remember why we didn't go after Kinner when he was transferring from OSU? The kids fighting for AA status and up 8-4 at 149.
Two years ago when we wrestled Rider at the RAC, Kinner lost to Seabass. Pretty much immediately after the loss, Kinner was the closest to the mat encouraging and coaching his teammates still wrestling. I remembered him being more engaged and vocal than Rider's coaches. I was impressed with his attitude and demeanor following his own loss. He seems like a good dude. Congrats to Quinn on his AA.

He got out of a tie up and was standing out of bounds and didn’t make much effort to come back in. He’s gotta be more aware but that’s a pretty lame call, especially against a guy who gains nothing by wasting time out of bounds while trailing late in the match.
Dear lord. What period was that called in? So in a match where it seemed like Shawver was the aggressor on his feet the whole match the refs decided to call a ticky tack push out stall…leading to a stalling point now needing to be awarded for a 5 second call right before time expires…off of a Shawver takedown…cool

That was complete utter BS. Elam just sat on him for 2 min parallel with leg hooked. At least call a stalemate. At no time did he attempt to score.

Regardless I would have chosen neutral there.
had Yara chosen neutral Elam would have just stood there with his 9 foot arms keeping Yara at bay...

Elam spent 7 mins on the mat yet didnt wrestle for 1 second. Impressive!

had Yara chosen neutral Elam would have just stood there with his 9 foot arms keeping Yara at bay...

Elam spent 7 mins on the mat yet didnt wrestle for 1 second. Impressive!
Yup…. But with Yara I’ll still take my chances on his feet.

Regardless it’s been a great tournament for him this year and lots to build on for his final year.

People with realistic expectations got what they expected. People with unrealistic expectations did not.
Listen, two AAs used to be very exciting…. Buuuut we should absolutely have 4+ based on the state and local talent, incredible facilities, and fan support. We shouldn’t be satisfied with 2 is all I’m saying.

Listen, two AAs used to be very exciting…. Buuuut we should absolutely have 4+ based on the state and local talent, incredible facilities, and fan support. We shouldn’t be satisfied with 2 is all I’m saying.
Expectations about what we would like as a program each year are different from expectations for this year's team at NCAAs are. This year's team was going to struggle to achieve 4+ AAs, as we saw. Realistic expectations for this year's team was an AA over/under of 1.5. 2 AAs and a B1G tournament individual champion (just the third ever) make this a very good season.

Two AA's....gotta love it....but this is the ceiling for RU with Goodale at the helm. He should get a statue....but a change us needed for the next step. You need atleast 2 national Champs on staff to recruit in this climate. Congrats to RU on another great year.

Reactions: Lerxst72 and RuSnp
This has been our best season top to bottom since Ashnault and Suriano left. I don’t really think it’s debatable. We wrestled a lot of tough duals, we got 2 AA’s and a 3rd in the blood round, and I don’t think we’re losing anything irreplaceable.

Olivieri slides into Moore’s spot, Clark comes back, and Harer fills in somewhere. Losing Turley hurts and I think Soldano should redshirt but I think we can fill the 165-184 spots through the portal as Goodale has been really good in that field.

This team took a step in the right direction this year and I think they’ll take another step next year.

Yup…. But with Yara I’ll still take my chances on his feet.

Regardless it’s been a great tournament for him this year and lots to build on for his final year.
I always just had him as a grad transfer in my mind and assumed he was out of eligibility…it’s a given that he can/is coming back for one more year?

This has been our best season top to bottom since Ashnault and Suriano left. I don’t really think it’s debatable. We wrestled a lot of tough duals, we got 2 AA’s and a 3rd in the blood round, and I don’t think we’re losing anything irreplaceable.

Olivieri slides into Moore’s spot, Clark comes back, and Harer fills in somewhere. Losing Turley hurts and I think Soldano should redshirt but I think we can fill the 165-184 spots through the portal as Goodale has been really good in that field.

This team took a step in the right direction this year and I think they’ll take another step next year.
I agree, but I'll add an asterisk for the 2020-2021 season. We only wrestled 4 duals (all in the B1G because of COVID) and lost all 4. However, at Big Tens we had 3 3rd place finishers (Rivera, MVB, and Poz) our best showing other that Suriano and Ashnault winning Big Ten championships, and we had 3 AAs for the first (and only time) at NCAAs (Rivera, Turley, and Poz). It was a unique season but the team performed great in the post-season.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I always just had him as a grad transfer in my mind and assumed he was out of eligibility…it’s a given that he can/is coming back for one more year?
Yara definitely has another year of eligibility. He wrestled 3 years at Harvard and had a medical redshirt season to use and the COVID year. So, 1 more year of eligibility.

Reactions: biker7766 and tfio
Team Scores
Functions
Printed on 03/22/2024 10:34 p.m.

Team Scores
Penn State​
148.0​
Michigan​
64.5​
Iowa​
60.0​
Arizona State​