ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Day 2 Thread

This has been our best season top to bottom since Ashnault and Suriano left. I don’t really think it’s debatable. We wrestled a lot of tough duals, we got 2 AA’s and a 3rd in the blood round, and I don’t think we’re losing anything irreplaceable.

Olivieri slides into Moore’s spot, Clark comes back, and Harer fills in somewhere. Losing Turley hurts and I think Soldano should redshirt but I think we can fill the 165-184 spots through the portal as Goodale has been really good in that field.

This team took a step in the right direction this year and I think they’ll take another step next year.
If we can get good portal adds at 165/174/184, we will continue to move forward.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
I agree, but I'll add an asterisk for the 2020-2021 season. We only wrestled 4 duals (all in the B1G because of COVID) and lost all 4. However, at Big Tens we had 3 3rd place finishers (Rivera, MVB, and Poz) our best showing other that Suriano and Ashnault winning Big Ten championships, and we had 3 AAs for the first (and only time) at NCAAs (Rivera, Turley, and Poz). It was a unique season but the team performed great in the post-season.
Yeah 2021 was just too weird with much of the field not wrestling because the Ivy’s were out and the Olympic hopefuls all took redshirts. Doesn’t diminish the individual accolades but it was barely a season.

Shawver had an incredible year and not expected in pre-season. That being said, coming in seeded 4th and wrestling for 7th/8th just a little disappointing. Thought he had a shot for 4 but great year.

Yara getting on podium is biggest surprise for me. After losing to PSU backup 197 in dual, I thought no way he makes podium. Great tournament for him.

Peterson needs to take next step next year. Top 10 guy out of HS, going into his 4th year next year. Needs to step up and get out of his own head and get on the podium.

Soldano..needs a RS
Poz..needs to remember how good he was freshman year

Shawver had an incredible year and not expected in pre-season. That being said, coming in seeded 4th and wrestling for 7th/8th just a little disappointing. Thought he had a shot for 4 but great year.

Yara getting on podium is biggest surprise for me. After losing to PSU backup 197 in dual, I thought no way he makes podium. Great tournament for him.

Peterson needs to take next step next year. Top 10 guy out of HS, going into his 4th year next year. Needs to step up and get out of his own head and get on the podium.

Soldano..needs a RS
Agree with everything you said above, but I think although he didn’t AA Poz took big steps in this tourney. He either goes back to 184 or gets stronger for 197, either way I think he’ll have a nice year in ‘25.

Agree with everything you said above, but I think although he didn’t AA Poz took big steps in this tourney. He either goes back to 184 or gets stronger for 197, either way I think he’ll have a nice year in ‘25.
Does Poz have one more year left or two?

If Poz wanna go 184 again.. Soldano needs a RS..
Poz looks so undersized at 197 , and I think he couldve been one of those guys wrestling in the 184 semis last night ..Ive seen a lot of you say Soldano can’t make 174 so I’ll take your word for it but the kid was probably the smallest 184 I saw all year outside of Negron from ASU (whose a 165) he either needs to cut weight for the first time in his life and go 174 or redshirt and go through the Cassar/Oklahoma state bulking program and just let poz make one more run at 184

Soldano..needs a RS
Poz hit Blood Round in his first year at 197. A little more time and training at that weight and he will be good to go.

Reactions: njsportsphan
This has been our best season top to bottom since Ashnault and Suriano left. I don’t really think it’s debatable. We wrestled a lot of tough duals, we got 2 AA’s and a 3rd in the blood round, and I don’t think we’re losing anything irreplaceable.

Olivieri slides into Moore’s spot, Clark comes back, and Harer fills in somewhere. Losing Turley hurts and I think Soldano should redshirt but I think we can fill the 165-184 spots through the portal as Goodale has been really good in that field.

This team took a step in the right direction this year and I think they’ll take another step next year.
Agreed. I think next year it would be reasonable to expect 3/4 AA with what we have coming back and then hopefully a jump in the portal.

Poz looks so undersized at 197 , and I think he couldve been one of those guys wrestling in the 184 semis last night ..Ive seen a lot of you say Soldano can’t make 174 so I’ll take your word for it but the kid was probably the smallest 184 I saw all year outside of Negron from ASU (whose a 165) he either needs to cut weight for the first time in his life and go 174 or redshirt and go through the Cassar/Oklahoma state bulking program and just let poz make one more run at 184
^^^^^^ I've felt this all along this year. It was personified in the NCAAs. That being said, Poz wrestled a very commendable tournament. Soldano, people look back and see he wrestled the same weight in high school and base their reasoning that he cant go 174. I'm not sure he ever tried to go lighter but he looks like he can compared to the bigger guys he is wrestling. This year, there was no need for him to try and go lower as Turley occupied 74. Roster management for optimization in my opinion.

Agreed. He was a few inches from getting the 3 against Buchannon, who is a multi AA and beat up Beard in the next match. Really tough way to lose for Poz.

Reactions: mikemessner
Poz hit Blood Round in his first year at 197. A little more time and training at that weight and he will be good to go.
He will struggle against the giants who are taller, have better reach, and look to pack more muscle....ala Buchanan last night. Poz has been awesome with takedowns this tournament, but I felt he had very little chance secure a TD on Buchanan due to his long frame. Buchanan looked big enough to compete at HWT.

Soldano..needs a RS
When I was talking about grandpa Fix a lot of people seemed to value the “experience”. Well we will have a lot of that next year now… I want the freshman version of Poz, he was neck and neck with Keckeisen that year… the freshman version of “ya talk bout my grandma?” Turley.. and even fresh version Soldano who was neck n neck w Pinto as best freshman… give me their best versions splashed in with all the “experience” now…

That and I hope whatever mindset Shawver had this year to allow him to jump lvls infused into all our guys. We should have a nice squad next year.

When I was talking about grandpa Fix a lot of people seemed to value the “experience”. Well we will have a lot of that next year now… I want the freshman version of Poz, he was neck and neck with Keckeisen that year… the freshman version of “ya talk bout my grandma?” Turley.. and even fresh version Soldano who was neck n neck w Pinto as best freshman… give me their best versions splashed in with all the “experience” now…

That and I hope whatever mindset Shawver had this year to allow him to jump lvls infused into all our guys. We should have a nice squad next year.
Experience (and the refs) helped get Fix to the finals. I hate that he's in the finals and hope Vito destroys him.

We have won 17 matches so far which is the best RU has done since Suriano/Ashnault and those 2 accounted for many of them. This is a better overall team than that one. Some may hate on Goodale but you can’t overlook what these coaches have done in the Big Tens and NCAAs. A little food for thought from a homer!

If Poz wanna go 184 again.. Soldano needs a RS..
I almost feel like they need to flip…

Poz cuts back down to get a little more speed/quickness back that he seems to have lost with the extra bulk, but obviously maintain some of that bulk, while Solando needs to get stronger but not so much to alter his overall style. What the hell do I know but I kept thinking that all season.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
We have won 17 matches so far which is the best RU has done since Suriano/Ashnault and those 2 accounted for many of them. This is a better overall team than that one. Some may hate on Goodale but you can’t overlook what these coaches have done in the Big Tens and NCAAs. A little food for thought from a homer!
17 matches is a lot but having 2 national champs and finishing 9th is still better overall then this years team… yes I’m a Homer too but it’s just the way scoring is done in this sport..and I try to be objective… now if you mean this team would win a dual meet then yeah maybe idk..

I almost feel like they need to flip…

Poz cuts back down to get a little more speed/quickness back that he seems to have lost with the extra bulk, but obviously maintain some of that bulk, while Solando needs to get stronger but not so much to alter his overall style. What the hell do I know but I kept thinking that all season.
It felt like Poz moved up to make room for Soldano.. and Shawver went up to make room for Peterson… haha maybe you are right and it shoulda been flipped the other way instead..

So, while one of Goodale's better squads, we're still going to finish around 19/20.

Reactions: KidDagger
It felt like Poz moved up to make room for Soldano.. and Shawver went up to make room for Peterson… haha maybe you are right and it shoulda been flipped the other way instead..

Poz back at 184 would be high AA material. He can get to any shot he wants, he's quick enough just not strong enough at 197 to finish them.
Agreed. I think if BS moved up he would just be a bigger better version of what he is and wants to do currently. I think him bulking would translate better to 197… You can tell his body is ready to grow IMO.

Yes but that is probably his ceiling at 197 unless he gets Hidley level jacked by next season and I’ve heard he’s not a weight lifting/gym rat like that, with Keck and few others gone Poz could 100 percent be in the mix to be wrestling in the semis on Friday night next year , I personally can’t see him making enough gains at 197 size wise to be a true contender

Reactions: koleszar
Agreed. I think if BS moved up he would just be a bigger better version of what he is and wants to do currently. I think him bulking would translate better to 197… You can tell his body is ready to grow IMO.
Agree in that I think Poz prolly best 184 but who knows… your probably in minority in thinking Soldano should move up to 197… most people already think he’s too stocky/small for 184 but I guess if Poz wanna go 184 BS will either have to grow into 197 or go 174….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT