ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball NCAA statement regarding Coronavirus (NO FANS)

Saved me some money. I’d say I’ll save it until next year but I’m sure there will be a flu season then too.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
It was inevitable after the choices made in the last several days. Not surprised and I certainly understand the necessity of slowing down the spread of the virus to flatten the peak of cases.

But man, this sucks. I've waited three decades for this. I've been making deals with myself about what I can accept and as long as I can watch on TV and it isn't cancelled I decided I'd be ok. We can do this.

I was in school last time. Dad is 82 with season tickets since The Barn. I wanted this for HIM, not me, 10x more and just broke the news to him on the phone. He's furious. Was at our cardiologist today (the guy who got me through infective endocarditis) and the guy said "it's not what they're making it out to be but such are the times." Anyway, yeah, I've been battling with this in my head for the last 48-hour and, well, I'll just keep throwing parties for our games I guess!!!

...oh and start putting the funds away for next year because WE WILL BE BACK!!!

Rutgers in the NCAA...nobody there to see it. Will they consider it to be like the moon landing didn't really occur--that it was videotaped on a large sound stage? COVID-19, leap year, full moon, Friday the 13th, Rutgers in the NCAAs. I think the balance of the universe has been thrown off. Or its a Stephen King short story.

Do they still play the games in the big arenas or can say now play in a smaller venue to help reduce costs(not that I really care if the NCAA saves money or not)?

Reactions: LadyRU09
Wow! The RU screw is so powerful it’s now expanded into all of college basketball.

Reactions: ScarletDave
so lets start the list of impact

Hospitality: Hotels, cruise, airlines, restaurants down
Sports: venue staff down
Food service down
Shipping Cargo down,
oil tankers (up as floating storage for excess oil)
Oil and gas down
Private jets up
Retail down

others?

Its going to be huge...people are acting as if the country won't miss a beat...what about the peeps with bills to pay..rent..groceries..insurance...going to effect every industry but the internet

Reactions: RUScrew85
There are no good options is the problem. Don't do anything and it spreads everywhere worldwide. Go into lock down containment mode and the economy is destroyed. Have to try to find the middle ground but it's just too tough at this point. We needed to contain it with testing when we had the chance.

Firing the entire pandemic team chain of command two years ago and never replacing them left the US wildly unprepared but that's another topic. We are where we are now

Beyond the games...people earn a living by working these events. If all sports events are played with no fans we are just scratching the surface of a full out economic collapse

How will people earn a living.

Security...concession workers...all of the day to day little guy...thousands of venues around the country..soon movies theaters and then supermarkets..you cant put the genie back in the bottle

Trump is trying to restrict all non essential travel to Europe. Just came out. Think about that for a second. You can only go to Europe for emergency measures.

It'll be like summer league high school hoops. After the 1st minute or two of "this sucks" you play every bit as hard as you would otherwise.
O I expect the players to play as hard as they can, that just the competitive nature of athletes. I'm saying from a fan perspective it'll be sterile and emotionless. The roar of the crowd is gone with a 100 family members sounding like a Golf clap.

Should B1G tourney immediately do this for practice?

Yes, and it's insane that they aren't. That said, Wednesday games are always sparsely attended and I would bet tomorrow and onward fans are not allowed.

they should allow at least band and cheerleaders. They should be considered essential.
(would also be nice if about 20-30 of the Riot squad could attend)
I was at a holiday NIT consolation game at the RAC about 10 years ago, and crowd was about 700
been to many games when JSBL was at St Rose. crowd was small, but lively. Maybe change to smaller venues. Have the Midwest regionals at (Hoosier's) Butler Field House ?
Maybe Final 4 at Georgia Tech

Last edited:
Reactions: eso1989
Yes, and it's insane that they aren't. That said, Wednesday games are always sparsely attended and I would bet tomorrow and onward fans are not allowed.

As of their 3PM statement they are proceeding as usual as well as A10 and Big East

It will be interesting if players don’t want to travel. Especially players who feel they might be too
Picks in the draft.

Come on. You knew this was coming for days if not a few weeks. It sucks but that’s life. Just need to make it next year.

I did -- that doesn't mean that I (or anyone else) can't still be bummed about it.

Once SXSW was cancelled last week I knew we were f'd. I also work for a company that owns & operates trade shows and we've been taking hits left and right. I'm not naive, but I reserve the right to be disappointed.

Cmon you can't compare practice or a pick up game to an NCAA tourney game. Not even remotely close.
Sure you can. When you are on the court, field or course once play begins your mostly blind to the crowd. In football you notice the crowd 1000x more when you are on the sidelines.

Players practice in empty arenas every day. They have played pickup games in front of no one since picking up a basketball
So you're saying the RAC atmosphere had nothing to do with our 18 - 1 home record?

The total lack of an away fan base could actually be a significant plus for our chances.....but I'd rather be there and take our chances.

Reactions: RUShea
they should allow at least band and cheerleaders. They should be considered essential.
(would also be nice if about 20-30 of the Riot squad could attend)
I was at a holiday NIT consolation game at the RAC about 10 years ago, and crowd was about 700
been to many games when JSBL was at St Rose. crowd was small, but lively. Maybe change to smaller venues. Have the Midwest regionals at (Hoosier's) Butler Field House ?
Maybe Final 4 at Georgia Tech
There's no way they deem those 2 groups as "disposable" vs. Everybody else. I think this stinks but if they fear the avg. Fan there is NO WAY these kids should be allowed in.

Players practice in empty arenas every day. They have played pickup games in front of no one since picking up a basketball
It will sound like an 8 a.m. AAU game in July.

A buzzer beater with almost no noise in the arena...maybe one network will have a mix-master cranking in crowd sound effects!

Reactions: Scangg
They're talking about moving the Final Four out of the Falcons stadium and into a smaller gym.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
as long as Bill Raftery is still considered essential personnel and I can watch, i'm good
Raftery is 76 years old. They're already telling people 60+ to just stay home. It would be massively irresponsible for Raftery to leave his house.

As I just said in an older thread on this, this obviously sucks (I was going to go to any/all RU games), but it was pretty clear we were heading this way over a week ago. I'd also add that things are about to get much worse for much of the US, including the densely populated DC-Boston corridor (and likely other cities), which means it's possible they'll actually postpone/cancel the actual tournament when there are 5000+ infections next Tuesday (likely). That's what's going on in Italy and we're not that far behind them.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...eally-be-cancelled.190881/page-2#post-4443951

I just got an email from at&t to enter to win a trip to the final 4[roll]

Reactions: Scangg
They're talking about moving the Final Four out of the Falcons stadium and into a smaller gym.
Makes a lot of sense. Although this maybe over by then. Korea is seeing big drops in number of cases.

Too bad the UK's instant coronavirus test isn't going to be ready for a few more weeks. Assuming it works and gets approved, it could be the kind of thing that still allows major sporting events. It would likely take a few hours to test attendees, but it would be possible, I think. Even better would be an at-home test that one takes the day of and has a doc review that day and you get approved that way, so they don't have to do the tests at the arena.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...t-scientists-warm-summer-boris-johnson-latest

It is too bad this virus wasn’t properly named...the WuhanVirus...put the focus where it needs to be...they guilty party of China. those nasty wet markets of theirs need to go, forever! If that sounds jingoistic...I frankly don’t give one ****!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT