ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska played lights out offense BUT

Watch the game sir....

Watch Tominaga from mid court with the dribble in the late 1st half, go right by Cam Spencer, who casually drifted out of the way to allow a layup......didn't step in front of the guy, didn't try and draw a charge....didn't even reach in and foul him, when I don't even think anyone was in foul trouble. The defense had 3 total fouls late in the 1st half.....the entire defense was not good. You guys are In fantasy land if you think your entitled to hold every team entering the RAC to somewhere in the 50s....when do we stop making excuses for Spencer and Mulcahy individual defense??

Watch the game again, it's literally in right now on BTN. After sitting in the RAC, watching the crying by Mulcahy, asking for others to help on defense is horrific....when is it ever his fault??

You have to be able to play more than one style of basketball in order to win games. This entitlement attitude by the fans, whining about defense that was #2 in all of CBB a couple of weeks ago, suddenly falls apart because one player exits the lineup??

At some point, Mulcahy has to come off the floor....

his defense isnt good....

His offense is non existent

His hesitation to shoot the ball, completely disrupts the flow of the game and the chemistry and lack of accountability is startling.

We have to have Mulcahy and Spencer play both ends of the court with maximum effort...whining about Mag is not solving anything, he is injured and out. When does that register that all 5 players are connected on the court and the starting guards aren't producing on either end??
You need to watch the game. It was glaringly obvious what was missing and it's EVERYTHING Mag brings to the table.

Defense, athleticism, toughness, tenacity

If you can't see that, you're beyond lost

EVERYONE agrees Paul and Cam need to play better. All of this is so obviously true but you acknowledge Paul and Cam's play but live in denial about Mag's loss for some reason

You realize a major key to our defense was Mag's ability to cover when guys like Paul and Cam get beat off the dribble right?

Hawk, I am with you with the failure of Paul and Cam and I would add Cliff to the list as to why we are not winning .
However, totally against your take on the impact of Mag . He impacted the offensive and defensive end along with intangibles you are ignoring

. First, he is at the head of the press and his speed , intensity, length. , his 1 man press label causing deflections and steals , is no longer there and made us the best most elite defense in the country.

Second , his offensive game , especially his post game and his drives ( 2 against MSU) gave us a second Lowe post scorer besides Cliff. He averaged over 10 points a game in the last 7 before he got hurt and was about to score a layup to be 9 points when he tore his ACL . He likely scores 15-20 and a career high. Teams now had to account for another offensive threat and that alone should free up Cam for kick outs and Mag was a willing passer.
Third , his rebounding on both ends is missed as Cliff refuses to box out to get rebounds and we are getting torched on the glass defensively. Mag also was our best offensive rebounder. Mag’s loss directly affected our loss at Illinois In that 19-0 run as Rogers dominated the glass with his offensive and defensive rebounding that likely doesn’t happen that way with Mag nor are we held scoreless

Fourth , Mag gave Cliff help in the post and doubled like against TJD to mask what we are seeing defensively from Cliff which is embarrassingly bad, where he refuses to deny the post , refuses to front his man , allowing deep touches and not being able to block the soft hooks over him.

Fifth , all the intangibles that do not show up on the stat sheet , the deflections , the energy he brings , the hockey assists he makes , the toughness on the boards and defending 1- 5. , all of which are not on any stat sheet.

Sixth, Caleb and Mag are 2 of the best defenders in our league if not the country , especially since Aundre is not , so our overall defense is weaker.

Finally , with Cam in a funk , Pike should have but probably would not have subbed Andre for Cam and play him at the 3 more of Cam ‘s minutes then Aundre gets his 7-14 shots per game.
This post is elite 👏

You need to watch the game. It was glaringly obvious what was missing and it's EVERYTHING Mag brings to the table.

EVERYONE agrees Paul and Cam need to play better. All of this is so obviously true but you acknowledge Paul and Cam's play but live in denial about Mag's loss for some reason

You realize a major key to our defense was Mag's ability to cover when guys like Paul and Cam get beat off the dribble right?
We lost the last three games by an average of ~8 points. That’s roughly the difference between our current Kenpom ranking of #26 and being #107.

People are 100% right about the things Mag brings to the table, the issue is quantifying the impact. It simply cannot be that large

Reactions: MiloTalon13
We lost the last three games by an average of ~8 points. That’s roughly the difference between our current Kenpom ranking of #26 and being #107.

People are 100% right about the things Mag brings to the table, the issue is quantifying the impact. It simply cannot be that large
I'd love to have analysis of our play with our 5 starters vs. any other combination.

My thinking after the Mag injury was announced.....
Fully heathy 12-20 area
W/o Mag 70-90 area

I'd love to have analysis of our play with our 5 starters vs. any other combination.

My thinking after the Mag injury was announced.....
Fully heathy 12-20 area
W/o Mag 70-90 area

Part of this are the intangibles of what Mag brings that don't show up in his stat line

Other people need to play better for sure though

If I were Mag's agent he does.
I love me some Mag, don’t get me wrong. I’m really really not trying to put Mag down here and I would be saying the same things if it were another one of our players that people were saying were worth 10ppg.

The difference between #1 and #363 on Kenpom is roughly 60pts per 100 possessions or roughly 40ppg.

That is roughly 1/5 point per player minute between Houston and Hartford, which is like 8ppg for players that are playing all 40 minutes. Mag was playing like 25mpg so that’s 5ppg.

So people saying he is worth 10ppg are saying the difference between Mag and what we replace him with is double the average difference between a Houston player and a Hartford player.

I’d buy that given what the loss of Mag does to the defenses we play. Adding the fact of the massive drop off on our roster in talent after our original starting 5.

The argument that may have merit is the luck one. Opponents shooting

Reactions: Scangg
I’d buy that given what the loss of Mag does to the defenses we play. Adding the fact of the massive drop off on our roster in talent after our original starting 5.

The argument that may have merit is the luck one. Opponents shooting
I mean our starting 5 is much worse than Houston and even our bench I’m pretty sure would be solid favs against Hartford.

If we lost to Michigan State, didn't play determined defense at MSG, you would be correct. What is the excuse for winning the 2H clearly vs MSU and playing pretty well for the last 25 minutes at Indiana.....and a relatively clean 1H vs Illinois??

The lack of respect for Indiana and Illinois on the road is absurd. They have better rosters top to bottom, player to player. To suggest Mag added to the RU lineup is better than both Indiana and Illinois on the road is silly.

I know it's tough to digest that RU was in Nebraskas situation when RHJ, Mathis were freshman, Geo and Myles were sophomores and RU went from 3 B1G wins to 7-10 in the B1G....it took a banked 3 point attempt off the side of the backboard vs Iowa that was a gut punch during the rebuild....that RU team never recovered and lost the last 3 regular season games, including a missed Myles Johnson dunk vs PSU at the RAC.

Nebraska is playing better basketball and the results show that. Maybe RU came in looking ahead or past Nebraska and didn't have the intensity needed. But I keep seeing Mag is the factor, but no one wants to tell me who is actually going to shoot the ball and score, if Mag was playing 32 to 34 minutes a game??

Are you saying Mag and Hyatt were both going to play 30 minutes each and you're taking Cam Spencer, Caleb or Paul out of the lineup?? LMAO

Mag was a very good defender, but our offense was struggling to reach 60 to 65 points, with Mulcahy playing well and shooting the ball.

What you and other lazy takes by fans fail to realize is Paul's play has fallen off a cliff since MSG, which we won when Mag went out. If Paul was playing well, scoring 10 to 12 PPG and Cam was scoring 10 to 12 and Hyatt, Caleb, Cliff, then YES, then I would say Mag is the only variable.

Paul and Cam Spencer are FAR more critical to this 3 game streak than Mag....but if you and other fans want to ignore the obvious, knock yourself out.

Hyatt rang up 24 points. He would not have 18 shot attempts if Mag was healthy and playing. Let's assume he has 10 shot attempts and Mag took 8.

You would not have 5 3s made from Mag, so RU might have allowed 10 less points if Mag played, but we would have scored 10 fewer points, if Hyatt doesn't play 30 minutes.

The final score would have been 72-62 Nebraska if Mag and Hyatt played and you still get the same 10 points from Paul and Cam. It's insanity to say there's a 15 to 20 point swing on the scoreboard from a 10 point loss to a 5 or 10 point win......and attempt to place that 15 to 20 point swing on the scoreboard, at the feet of Mag not playing.
The 2H at MSG, we hit shots and MSU missed many open shots so I don't credit RU for overcoming Mag for 1 half of a game. The last 3 games show the difference he makes on the press and our offensive rotations.

If we lost to Michigan State, didn't play determined defense at MSG, you would be correct. What is the excuse for winning the 2H clearly vs MSU and playing pretty well for the last 25 minutes at Indiana.....and a relatively clean 1H vs Illinois??
You keep wanting to point to the MSU win as some sort of validation that that we don't miss Mag as much as just about ALL of us (except you) are saying, since we had a good 2nd half in that game.

But I said this on the board immediately after we beat MSU -- In games where a key player is injured, the team often rises to the occasion IN THAT GAME, but then struggles in subsequent games without that key player. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED AGAINST MSU.

The last three games have completely exposed our team for its lack of quality depth, and the loss of Mag is the principal cause for our struggles.

This post is elite 👏
Thanks just what I am seeing. I already posted how Mag’s loss cost us Illinois as he would have corralled Hawkins and rebounded v. Rogers .
Another clear example is second half Indiana when Pike decided to go back to starters and not roll withOscar, Mag would have hit shots so Caleb doesn’t go 1-12 or hit the offensive glass . We held them without a field goal for like 9 minutes so if we got any offense , the type Mag was providing over his last 8 games , we likely win that game.
So Mag’s absence has affected us in all 3 straight losses and might have gotten us 2 of those wins at least.

Are you saying Mag and Hyatt were both going to play 30 minutes each and you're taking Cam Spencer, Caleb or Paul out of the lineup?? LMAO

What you and other lazy takes by fans fail to realize is Paul's play has fallen off a cliff since MSG, which we won when Mag went out. If Paul was playing well, scoring 10 to 12 PPG and Cam was scoring 10 to 12 and Hyatt, Caleb, Cliff, then YES, then I would say Mag is the only variable.

Paul and Cam Spencer are FAR more critical to this 3 game streak than Mag....but if you and other fans want to ignore the obvious, knock yourself out.

Hyatt rang up 24 points. He would not have 18 shot attempts if Mag was healthy and playing. Let's assume he has 10 shot attempts and Mag took 8.

You would not have 5 3s made from Mag, so RU might have allowed 10 less points if Mag played, but we would have scored 10 fewer points, if Hyatt doesn't play 30 minutes.

The final score would have been 72-62 Nebraska if Mag and Hyatt played and you still get the same 10 points from Paul and Cam. It's insanity to say there's a 15 to 20 point swing on the scoreboard from a 10 point loss to a 5 or 10 point win......and attempt to place that 15 to 20 point swing on the scoreboard, at the feet of Mag not playing.
Both Hyatt AND Simpson -- the two players you have been advocating fiercely to receive more playing time, both before and after Mag's injury -- have actually played well the past few games. Heck, Hyatt played his best game EVER last night, and I would argue that Simpson played his second-best game (his game in our Indiana win was huge).

BUT WHERE HAS THAT GOTTEN US??

I'll tell you where -- three straight losses. No, not their fault. But you got what you wanted -- more p/t for Hyatt and Simpson -- and we played the worst game of the season last night and lost to freaking Nebraska.

Does it occur to you that PART of the reason Mulcahy and McConnell are struggling so much in the past three games is because of Mag's absence? Mag is not only crucial for what he personally brings to the game, but also filling 25-30 minutes that now have to be filled by MORE minutes from Paul and Caleb (who were already playing too many minutes) and more minutes from bench players (Hyatt/Simpson good, Oskar up and down, the rest BAD).

I guess 95% of this board have "lazy takes" and you're the one who is right? Sorry, but NO. You're WAY OFF here, and it's not even close.

Agree about shaking the lineup up.

Disagree about getting the damn ball to Cliff in the post.

We’re actually doing too much of that right now - he keeps getting double teamed in the post and is not finding the open man/forcing up terrible shots/hooks.
Most of the time it’s because he’s not actually in the post but almost halfway to the corner when he receives. That’s a coaching problem, for him and the guys obviously expected to pass to him there.

Unfortunately, the bigger picture is that nowadays players are coddled and given every opportunity to showcase their talent for scouts. ‘Players coaches’ are the rule and if Pike clamped down on the shitty offense by Cliff and selfish play by Caleb, similarly egotistical recruits would go elsewhere. Can’t have it both ways. If you want good recruits you have to cater to their selfish goals. Hopefully you can win more often than not anyway, but don’t fool yourselves. Pike and every other college coach is limited in what they can require of their better players.

Both Hyatt AND Simpson -- the two players you have been advocating fiercely to receive more playing time, both before and after Mag's injury -- have actually played well the past few games. Heck, Hyatt played his best game EVER last night, and I would argue that Simpson played his second-best game (his game in our Indiana win was huge).

BUT WHERE HAS THAT GOTTEN US??

I'll tell you where -- three straight losses. No, not their fault. But you got what you wanted -- more p/t for Hyatt and Simpson -- and we played the worst game of the season last night and lost to freaking Nebraska.

Does it occur to you that PART of the reason Mulcahy and McConnell are struggling so much in the past three games is because of Mag's absence? Mag is not only crucial for what he personally brings to the game, but also filling 25-30 minutes that now have to be filled by MORE minutes from Paul and Caleb (who were already playing too many minutes) and more minutes from bench players (Hyatt/Simpson good, Oskar up and down, the rest BAD).

I guess 95% of this board have "lazy takes" and you're the one who is right? Sorry, but NO. You're WAY OFF here, and it's not even close.
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

Defense toughness and tenacity
The 2H at MSG, we hit shots and MSU missed many open shots so I don't credit RU for overcoming Mag for 1 half of a game. The last 3 games show the difference he makes on the press and our offensive rotations.

I've already outlined that Paul Mulcahy has 3, 9 and 2 shot attempts in the last 3 games AND 2 of the 3 games (Indiana and Nebraska) he scored a total of FOUR points in over 70 minutes of play.

If I told you Jalen Miller played and starter the last 3 games at PG and played 100 minutes and scored 14 points in those 3 games what would you tell me RUs record is?? Because that's where Mulcahy is in terms of shots attempted and impact on the game. He's not playing well.....but we are not allowed to discuss this and the 15 to 20 point swings has nothing to do with Mulcahy and lack of scoring and Spencer lack of scoring.

At some point, as I have mentioned again and fans are ignoring....Mag and Hyatt occupy the same position. Even if Mag played the lights out Defense, what difference in the scoreboard are we having, if you remove Hyatt and his 9 of 23 from 3 point range?? You would have fewer points scored by the opponent and RU also scores fewer points because they play the same position.

Mag does NOT play PG

Mag does NOT play SG

You cannot have the argument both ways that RU would have.

A) More offensive production by removing Hyatt shooting

B) Better defensive production by ignoring Mulcahy defense

C) Mulcahy not refusing to shoot the ball.

D) Illinois Indiana on the road were going to be losses irregardless of Mag playing or not, with Mulcahy and Spencer at this level or lack of productivity.

I am stating that to improve the overall performance of the team, you have to isolate the players to the alternate player in that same position on the floor. Simpson playing more minutes and Hyatt playing more minutes and scoring, is the ONLY OPTION to replace the lost defensive production on the scoreboard. But to say Mag is worth 15 to 20 points while ignoring Mulcahy performance in the same 3 games is insanity.

The fans are asking for every team to be held in the high 40s and 50s, while 3 players carry 2 unproductive offensive players and 2 at best average on the ball defensive players on the teams back??? LMAO

I don't have an alternative to replace Spencer at Shooting Guard and he is the best perimeter option. Right now, Mulcahy and his play, not Mags loss is the issue. You can look at the numbers anyway you want. RU is not winning unless we get more production from Mulcahy OR you replace him with Simpson, who will score and shoot more within the flow of the offense.

Last edited:
You realize with other starters struggling Pike would at least have the option to play Mag and Hyatt at the same time right?

We didn't see it earlier bc Cam and Paul were giving us more. We briefly saw it recently with Mag and Hyatt playing better

Caleb was ice cold the other night. Maybe he could sit more minutes if Pike could rely on Mag to pick up the slack defensively

If we lose out the rest of the season, Hawk would still write a novel about why it had nothing to do with Mag
He is on the money about Paul getting a complete pass for the coaching staff with his play. Paul doesn't get pulled for the same stuff that gets Hyatt yanked. Paul was terrible on both ends and his behavior, if it continues, will start to embarrass the team.

Everyone is on Paul for his play right now

The problem is depth. Cam also isn't playing well and Simpson is the only other playable guard on the bench. Miller has been bad

Someone has to play. If you want to sit Paul and Cam what are the options?

Simpson Caleb Hyatt Oskar/Dean Cliff

It's not like Oskar and Dean have been playing lights out

If we lose out the rest of the season, Hawk would still write a novel about why it had nothing to do with Mag

Let me simplify it for you, and I'll wait for your response, since you and others are stating Mag is the sole reason for the 3 game losing streak.

A) How does Mag not playing directly impact the number of shot attempts Mulcahy takes??

B) How does Mag not playing, impact Mulcahy scoring Four points in 70 minutes??

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Let me simplify it for you, and I'll wait for your response, since you and others are stating Mag is the sole reason for the 3 game losing streak.

A) How does Mag not playing directly impact the number of shot attempts Mulcahy takes??

Never said solely.

I have been beating the Paul drum saying we need him to be more aggressive and score more since foreverrr. For years now

Paul needed to step up with Mag out, not regress. EVERYONE agrees

The way I see it is actually opposite NJH and most fans......

Asking this team to score more with Mag's absence will not work most nights. Simpson can do almost everything Hyatt can do offensively and is clear cut the best option we have on defense....almost irrespective of opponent.

Last night everyone was bad defensively. Most nights Hyatt is the clear weak link.

This thing is fixed by going back to Rutgers basketball. We play the best defensive team and hope to score enough.

We saw the ceiling with Hyatt and Oskar offensively and we still got crushed when they were in there.

I'd rather lose 52-42 then to watch Tominaga going off and telling me to be quiet. We win by preventing teams from scoring and not by outscoring them.

We don't have a scoring problem. We have a defense problem. Last night's adjusted offensive efficiency was 4th highest out of 15 B1G games. We should not be talking today about offense. The discussion needs to start and end with defense.

Never said solely.

I have been beating the Paul drum saying we need him to be more aggressive and score more since foreverrr. For years now

Paul needed to step up with Mag out, not regress. EVERYONE agrees

Ok since I've finally gotten some movement on this. If Paul scores 4 to 5 PPG the rest of the 5 regular season games, am I going to read about toughness, tenacity and grit and Mag being out as the reason for not winning or something else??

What percentage is impacting the game results the most??

Mag being out for the season??

Mulcahy scoring 2PPG as a senior 3 year starter, team captain, playing 34 to 35 minutes a game??

You tell me, what percentage you assigned to each question.

I'll give you my answer.....it's 90% Mulcahy and 10% Mag and I'm being generous.

We scored 72 points in 68 possessions and would have scored more if not for bad foul shooting. Why is Paul taking 4 shots a problem? I don't recall any shot clock violations. I recall very few possessions where we had to rush a shot attempt.

If you want to blast Paul's defense I'll jump right in there agree how got absolutely abused by players that he has no business getting beat by.

since losing starting forward Mawot Mag to a season-ending knee injury, the Scarlet Knights have played like the 151st-best team in the country, per Torvik, with the 175th-ranked offense and the 139th-ranked defense.

139th ranked defense!!! What percent do you credit Mag's loss to the absolutely cliff we have dropped off defensively?

Assists are a VERY overrated statistic and I am debating even posting.........he did have 12 of them.

i realize that turnovers came at the expenses of some of them.

We don't have a scoring problem. We have a defense problem. Last night's adjusted offensive efficiency was 4th highest out of 15 B1G games. We should not be talking today about offense. The discussion needs to start and end with defense.

And let's assume the defense is not going to be as effective.....you have two options.

A) Play the same style and ask other players to perform at the same caliber of defense.

B) recognize that you do not have the same caliber of defense against better offensive teams and will have to alter how you play as a team.

I will not cut and paste the 4 to 5 layups or free reign on the perimeter for layups, because I'm being told teams like Iowa didn't score effectively against RU when Mag played. I'm also being led to believe that Mag was the defensive key to everything and RU held Iowa under 60 points in both games this year.

At some point, RU needs another "pitch".....we had the Jacob DeGrom in his prime fastball and cutter and now we just have the fastball.

The other "pitch" has to be developed and we have to emerge from this shell that allows the team to function, more than one way. There's far more CBB teams in the NCAAs, that have 4 to 5 scorers, not just 3 like Penn State or 1 like Minnesota or even 3 like Indiana.

In order to expand, it requires more points from Mulcahy instead of demanding elite defense on every possession.

Listen we lost to Nebraska at home by 10 giving up over 80 points. There is a grand canyon sized chasm between elite defense and that.

Defense won't be as good without Mag but it needs to be much closer to what it once was or we are done

Losing Mag isn't going to turn us into a high powered offense on a nightly basis. That is a complete fantasy that has no chance of reality

Being a slightly worse but still very good defense is possible. It's much more likely we can do that than start outscoring teams in shoot outs all of a sudden

Mag was also one of our most efficient scorers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT