ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska played lights out offense BUT

Everyone is on Paul for his play right now

The problem is depth. Cam also isn't playing well and Simpson is the only other playable guard on the bench. Miller has been bad

Someone has to play. If you want to sit Paul and Cam what are the options?

Simpson Caleb Hyatt Oskar/Dean Cliff

It's not like Oskar and Dean have been playing lights out
P
Ok since I've finally gotten some movement on this. If Paul scores 4 to 5 PPG the rest of the 5 regular season games, am I going to read about toughness, tenacity and grit and Mag being out as the reason for not winning or something else??

What percentage is impacting the game results the most??

Mag being out for the season??

Mulcahy scoring 2PPG as a senior 3 year starter, team captain, playing 34 to 35 minutes a game??

You tell me, what percentage you assigned to each question.

I'll give you my answer.....it's 90% Mulcahy and 10% Mag and I'm being generous.
Hawk , we read your posts so do us a favor and read mine. I starting mine by saying the failure of Paul and Cam and even Cliff was in agreement with you as the reason we are losing . Then I said why your take on Mag is dead wrong. It is not 90% Paul and 10% Mag and for someone that knows basketball and intangibles mean more than statistics sometimes , I am shocked with your take. It is just a lousy take. I already pointed out how MAG’s impact probably cost us Indiana and Illinois since his impact would have made up for Caleb’s 1-12 in Indiana and Paul and Caleb getting 2 points each and the 19-0 run by Illinois and the rebounding which with Mag very unlikely occurs. So I laid it out for you.

since losing starting forward Mawot Mag to a season-ending knee injury, the Scarlet Knights have played like the 151st-best team in the country, per Torvik, with the 175th-ranked offense and the 139th-ranked defense.

139th ranked defense!!! What percent do you credit Mag's loss to the absolutely cliff we have dropped off defensively?

I will say that Indiana and home, Illinois at home and Nebraska shooting their best percentage of the season, is a small enough sample size, to not overreact.

I think Indiana is playing with TJD....is Mag guarding TJD or is Cliff and Woolfolk guarding him??

When Reiber enters the game to guard Dain Dainja vs Illinois, is that because Mag didn't play??

The guards from Nebraska scored....they played FOUR guards. Mag and Caleb can only account for 2 of them....Cliff wasn't good, but Walker can score....the other two guards primarily playing are Mulcahy and Spencer.

I am trying to win games, you are trying to justify a defensive rating being isolated to one players absence, when there are four other players on the court.

My goal is to adjust and win games, without Mag, by scoring more and not being absurd and asking for teams to be held in the 50s. Your choice on approaching this, answers the question for you.

Reactions: MiloTalon13 and SBP
P

Hawk , we read your posts so do us a favor and read mine. I starting mine by saying the failure of Paul and Cam and even Cliff was in agreement with you as the reason we are losing . Then I said why your take on Mag is dead wrong. It is not 90% Paul and 10% Mag and for someone that knows basketball and intangibles mean more than statistics sometimes , I am shocked with your take. It is just a lousy take. I already pointed out how MAG’s impact probably cost us Indiana and Illinois since his impact would have made up for Caleb’s 1-12 in Indiana and Paul and Caleb getting 2 points each and the 19-0 run by Illinois and the rebounding which with Mag very unlikely occurs. So I laid it out for you.

How does Mag playing impact Reiber or Woolfolk having to guard TJD of Indiana or Dain Dainja of Illinois??

I am equating Mulcahy and his lack of offense and not good defense to playing/starting Jalen Miller.

Are you saying RU could start Jalen Miller, Mag, Caleb, Cam and Cliff and we would have won Illinois and Indiana on the road?? And Nebraska at home??

Mulcahy and his numbers are at the lack of offense levels we would expect if we had to play Jalen Miller. Would Jalen Miller have 12 assists?? Probably not, but it's not like it would be zero, playing 35 minutes.

I will say that Indiana and home, Illinois at home and Nebraska shooting their best percentage of the season, is a small enough sample size, to not overreact.

I think Indiana is playing with TJD....is Mag guarding TJD or is Cliff and Woolfolk guarding him??

When Reiber enters the game to guard Dain Dainja vs Illinois, is that because Mag didn't play??

The guards from Nebraska scored....they played FOUR guards. Mag and Caleb can only account for 2 of them....Cliff wasn't good, but Walker can score....the other two guards primarily playing are Mulcahy and Spencer.

I am trying to win games, you are trying to justify a defensive rating being isolated to one players absence, when there are four other players on the court.

My goal is to adjust and win games, without Mag, by scoring more and not being absurd and asking for teams to be held in the 50s. Your choice on approaching this, answers the question for you.
Mag's doubling of TJD was what shut down TJD!!!

Mag's help covers Cam and Paul when they get beat

Of course we all want to score more, but it's absurd to think this team just magically changes its identity from being an elite defense to outscoring teams

When does this ever happen? Ever?

I think last nights game needs to be thrown out of the Mag conversation. Rutgers played so soft last night that putting a healthy Mag back in there would not have made a difference. Mag is not stopping Walker from going around Cliff like he is not there nor is he preventing Tominaga from playing unconscious with a hand in his face.

I also think the broken press was not as big a factor as its made out to be. For the most part, Nebraska broke the press easily but then slowed themselves down and set up in a half court offense and scored with time left on the shot clock. Mag slowing them down with the press a few more seconds may have had some impact here but I dont think it is that great from how the game went down.

How does Mag playing impact Reiber or Woolfolk having to guard TJD of Indiana or Dain Dainja of Illinois??

I am equating Mulcahy and his lack of offense and not good defense to playing/starting Jalen Miller.

Are you saying RU could start Jalen Miller, Mag, Caleb, Cam and Cliff and we would have won Illinois and Indiana on the road?? And Nebraska at home??

Mulcahy and his numbers are at the lack of offense levels we would expect if we had to play Jalen Miller. Would Jalen Miller have 12 assists?? Probably not, but it's not like it would be zero, playing 35 minutes.
You are starting to be thick. Mag would have doubled TJD and Daniga at times plus taken or controlled Hawkins who had 18 points. You keep on minimizing MAG’s offensive surge his last 8 games and filling part of the void of Paul’s primary failure and refusal to shoot. We are agree Paul ‘s refusal to shoot had killed us and impacted winning. You are beyond blind if you do not see Mag’s entire loss which I outlined for you in 6 parts about 20 posts ago . Stop being thick

I think last nights game needs to be thrown out of the Mag conversation. Rutgers played so soft last night that putting a healthy Mag back in there would not have made a difference. Mag is not stopping Walker from going around Cliff like he is not there nor is he preventing Tominaga from playing unconscious with a hand in his face.

I also think the broken press was not as big a factor as its made out to be. For the most part, Nebraska broke the press easily but then slowed themselves down and set up in a half court offense and scored with time left on the shot clock. Mag slowing them down with the press a few more seconds may have had some impact here but I dont think it is that great from how the game went down.
Except you minimize the turnovers , deflections and 10 second violations Mag would have caused in the press that we played all game. Agree once in the half court his absence might not have made a huge difference with Nebraska ‘s shooting but maybe his help and communication helps Paul and Cam’s defensive failures.

You are starting to be thick. Mag would have doubled TJD and Daniga at times plus taken or controlled Hawkins who had 18 points. You keep on minimizing MAG’s offensive surge his last 8 games and filling part of the void of Paul’s primary failure and refusal to shoot. We are agree Paul ‘s refusal to shoot had killed us and impacted winning. You are beyond blind if you do not see Mag’s entire loss which I outlined for you in 6 parts about 20 posts ago . Stop being thick
Mag would have been an excellent matchup on Hawkins

We have no one who can guard tall athletic 4's now. Hyatt is 6'6 and a much worse defender as it is. Dean and Oskar aren't good defensively either

Reactions: MiloTalon13
68 degrees and we bust out Jacob deGrom.

Magnifying glasses come out in losses and blemishes are covered up in wins.

Nebraska has a below average shooting night we probably win by a few possessions.

If Hoiberg doesn’t scout and stop the back screen on the opening tip ANd Wilcher doesn’t knock down his 1st few looks who knows where this game goes.

How many of Hyatts look came because our offense got him the ball lightly contested or open on a single spot on the court.

How many of his looks came from his movements off the ball. How many of his looks came off of offensive rebounds (0).

Give him credit for taking and making shots, but Mag or Simpson could have given us similar offensive production doing what Hyatt did.

It’s hard not to wonder at this point if Shelby and SBP don’t have some personal issue with Caleb.

We sucked collectively as a team. However, Caleb was one our best all around players in this game and it’s not even close. You cannot say his 5-12 shooting “really killed us” because it’s factually inaccurate. Rutgers got the offensive rebound on 5 of Caleb’s 7 misses. His shooting by deductive logic did not burn us in this particular game. We only lost the possession twice in 33 minutes because he missed a shot. Caleb 12 points. Grabbed 8 boards. 4 steals. 2 assists. And people think he should sit? In favor of who, SBP? Please tell us.

How many of Hyatts look came because our offense got him the ball lightly contested or open on a single spot on the court.

How many of his looks came from his movements off the ball. How many of his looks came off of offensive rebounds (0).

Give him credit for taking and making shots, but Mag or Simpson could have given us similar offensive production doing what Hyatt did.
Greene , now you are going over the top. Hyatt cannot be replaced by Derek , and his three point shooting and aggressive takes to the basket is what we have been missing from Cam. He was terrific last night and he made 2 good passes to Cliff that should have resulted in 2 Cliff jams that Cliff botched. He is taking that corner jumper when he is open as he is the top of the key one. He is not seeking to shoot the minute he touches the ball like he was previously doing as the 6th man. He is not being replaced by Derek , who should take some of Paul’s minutes when he absolutely refuses to shoot and even for a shorter stint if Caleb is trying to do too much offensively going one on 1. Caleb has had 2 bounce back games in Illinois and Nebraska after that 1-12 Indiana game.
Now I do think some of Cam’s minutes have to decrease in favor of Hyatt at the 3 since Cam is not producing.
Derek played relatively well yesterday as it was the most under control he has been on his passing and his shot and shot selection. Pike could have reduced Paul’s minutes and gone with Caleb , Derek , Aundre , Cliff , and either Paul or cam or Dean at the 5th spot as they were playing 4 guards for most of the game. Going forward he has to take that approach if Paul continues to not shoot and Cam refuses to swing his hands to get defenders off him ( the NBA move ) and then get fouled and also pull up and hit mid range jumpers.

he hit the first two threes to put RU up 8-2...why couldnt his teammates defend

As good as Hyatt was offensively he should have had 30+. He turned down a decent number of shots and still scored 24

Goru

Hyatt is a career 29% 3 point shooter. If you take those 11 3 point attempts last night…..

1. How many does Simpson take and are there some he takes that Hyatt passed up?
2. How much of a difference in expected percentage would you expect between the 2?

These are open ended questions that are obviously up for debate.

Goru

Hyatt is a career 29% 3 point shooter. If you take those 11 3 point attempts last night…..

1. How many does Simpson take and are there some he takes that Hyatt passed up?
2. How much of a difference in expected percentage would you expect between the 2?

These are open ended questions that are obviously up for debate.
Simpson has a really solid 2 point mid range 13-16 foot shot especially when he squared his body and elevates. It looked great yesterday. He is not a 3 point shooter yet (next year we will see) . He is not replacing Hyatt. Yes Hyatt can go 0-5 as he has done earlier in the year but lately , at Indiana , at Illinois and last night , his Release and form looks good , and we do not have anyone else doing what he is doing from 3. Cam I swear as I watch every pregame ritual I believe he will do it but he has not in the last 5 games and has been inconsistent all year. Hyatt has to take Cam’s minutes and Derek can take Paul and Caleb ‘s minutes to give them a blow. If Paul refuses to shoot , sit him down and give Derek those minutes. His defense is still not great but Paul’s has flown off the Cliff these last 3 games as well.

Reactions: satnom
Simpson has a really solid 2 point mid range 13-16 foot shot especially when he squared his body and elevates. It looked great yesterday. He is not a 3 point shooter yet (next year we will see) . He is not replacing Hyatt. Yes Hyatt can go 0-5 as he has done earlier in the year but lately , at Indiana , at Illinois and last night , his Release and form looks good , and we do not have anyone else doing what he is doing from 3. Cam I swear as I watch every pregame ritual I believe he will do it but he has not in the last 5 games and has been inconsistent all year. Hyatt has to take Cam’s minutes and Derek can take Paul and Caleb ‘s minutes to give them a blow. If Paul refuses to shoot , sit him down and give Derek those minutes. His defense is still not great but Paul’s has flown off the Cliff these last 3 games as well.
Hyatt is a starter himself. He’s not taking minutes from Cam. We have one sub for 4 players.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
Hyatt is a starter himself. He’s not taking minutes from Cam. We have one sub for 4 players.
He is playing the 4 . I say play him at the 3 with Derek and sit Cam and go 4 guards and Cliff . Nebraska had only 1 low post guy in Walker . Other teams play 2 bigs so bring in Dean or Oscar with Cliff, Hyatt , Derek and Caleb.

Also unfortunate with the Mag injury coupled with Paul’s refusal to shoot and not score (Ben Simmons ) and Cam’s inconsistency , was that if Mag was healthy with Paul and Cam struggling you play Hyatt at the 3 , Mag at the 4 and Cliff at the 5 , with 2 of the 4 guards , Caleb , Derek, Paul and Cam. If Paul and Cam struggling go with Caleb and Derek. Pike was not playing them together but if the starters continued to do the no show , he would have no choice.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
We scored 72 and would have scored 76 if we made FTs to our percentage plus missing if 1 and 1s.

Paul taking 3 shots is a non issue in my eyes. Hyatt got 18 shots all within the rhythm of the offense. Would we rather have taken 6 of Hyatts attempts and give them to Paul last night? NO

Lineups need to be looked at from a defense 1st and defense 2nd and offense last.

Hyatt is shooting 32.2% from 3 and is taking a solid amount of 3s. So I think he's 2nd in 3 point attempts, only to Cam....Cam has 125 3 attempts and shooting 41%....Hyatt has 121 attempts with 39 makes.

The Hyatt attempts are within the offense, so we are getting what we need there. It comes down to getting more PPG and play from the other guards.

In terms of the "lack of bench", I am not so sure our bench is as much of an issue as our starters are.....unless fans are asking to have equal or similar talent off the bench.
We scored 72 and would have scored 76 if we made FTs to our percentage plus missing if 1 and 1s.

Paul taking 3 shots is a non issue in my eyes. Hyatt got 18 shots all within the rhythm of the offense. Would we rather have taken 6 of Hyatts attempts and give them to Paul last night? NO

Lineups need to be looked at from a defense 1st and defense 2nd and offense last.

Paul needs to take those shots in the flow of the offense and it allows Cliff to get a potential offensive rebound. He usually has position when Mulcahy wanders into the lane.

It is incredibly difficult to know what Mulcahy is going to do, when he doesn't shoot the ball. There are rarely good passing angles and at times, the lob is there, but it doesn't help Cliff when Paul doesn't shoot.

It is better to have a balanced shot chart, instead if condensing all of the shot attempts to 4 players. It makes the job of the defense easier.

Paul needs to take 9 to 11 shots per game, if he's going to play 35 minutes or he needs to sit and let Simpson play more minutes. Irregardless of what we want to think, Mulcahy and his offense is the most wildly inconsistent item from game to game or half to half.

Reactions: tm_nj

Greene , sorry but disagree. You have to improve the defense without Mag but you have to improve the offense and score more.
Let me ask a question. Did you think we did enough on the defensive end to win the Indiana game ? If the answer is yes , do you think better offense especially in the second half would have won that game ?
Same question for the Illinois game ?

I swear to god you have all lost your collective minds. Watching this fanbase convince themselves that a player that Pike saw fit to play 25 minutes per game while playing every other starter much more is the sole or even primary difference between being a top 25 team and like the #150 team is absolutely insane.

Reactions: RUsojo
At this point I’m pretty sure one of our players could turn around and fire the ball up into the 300s and people would post that it wouldn’t have happened if Mag was playing.

Also unfortunate with the Mag injury coupled with Paul’s refusal to shoot and not score (Ben Simmons ) and Cam’s inconsistency , was that if Mag was healthy with Paul and Cam struggling you play Hyatt at the 3 , Mag at the 4 and Cliff at the 5 , with 2 of the 4 guards , Caleb , Derek, Paul and Cam. If Paul and Cam struggling go with Caleb and Derek. Pike was not playing them together but if the starters continued to do the no show , he would have no choice.
You are crushing it with your takes

Greene , sorry but disagree. You have to improve the defense without Mag but you have to improve the offense and score more.
Let me ask a question. Did you think we did enough on the defensive end to win the Indiana game ? If the answer is yes , do you think better offense especially in the second half would have won that game ?
Over a larger sample we likely will allow more points without Mag, but we need to limit how much worse we will be

We need to offset that with more scoring but it doesn't mean we need to be an offensive machine

Instead of winning 64-61 we may need to win 70-67

IU adjust D efficiency 95.6
ILL adjust D efficiency 90.0

I’d have to say YES collectively for both games.

At this point I’m pretty sure one of our players could turn around and fire the ball up into the 300s and people would post that it wouldn’t have happened if Mag was playing.
Don’t be silly. No one could do that. Maybe our punter is the only one on campus capable of putting a basketball in the 300s

I am posting now, because I was too upset about last night's loss, and needed a day to collect my thoughts. I've read many of your posts here and agree and disagree (mainly agree) with much that has been written about.

So here's my take: Losing Mag WAS a big deal. Not so much for his offense, but for all of the intangibles he brought to the team. The first one IMO, is chemistry. The chemistry was working beautifully for the most part on D. Yes, Mag only scored about 8 points a game on average, but what he brought on the defensive side was a big deal. That's especially true around the basket. In addition, Mag was the glue in our press and the changing of the defenses. Without Mag, Paul and Cam have been exposed. Those two need to pick up their game and I think Simpson needs to play more especially if Paul continues to slog his way through.

Now, for the game last night. I thought Pike should have stopped the press after we nearly tied the game at 42-41. We allowed their team to speed us up, and they were not only breaking the press, but getting open looks in the process. I also thought we should have mixed up our defenses more and cut off all of the 3 point shots by playing more 2-3, 1-3-1 and match zone and not man-to-man. They were killing us on ball screens at the top and were knocking down 3 point shots with reckless abandon.

Nebraska averages 6 made threes a game. Last night they made 12. We gave them too many opportunities and Wilcher and Tominaga just killed us throughout the game. One would hope the law of averages would even out, but last night they stayed hot, and I believe we opened that door by pressing too much. If Nebraska had held to its average, we would have won this game, 72-64. But for argument sake, let's say they shot the ball better and hit 8 3 point shots, still above their average. We still win the game in a squeaker 72-70. But obviously that didn't happen. Based on the way we have played this season, 72 points should have been more than enough to win, excluding our play against Iowa.

Where Mag is missed the most, Paul and Cam and others have not picked up the slack. That IMO, is one of the main reasons, of our 3 game losing streak. I don't want to blame all or even a fair amount of this on Paul, be he has regressed and lost confidence. Pike needs to get him mentally back. He needs to make more shots, while Caleb needs to make less shots. Caleb, btw, is effective from 15 feet in. Period. I don't want to see him take more than 1 3 point shot a game, and preferably zero. Hyatt needs to keep shooting and so does Cam.

The other concern I have, is Pike not creating plays for Cam. Cam, IMO, started to come out of his slump last night. Not lights out like in the beginning of B1G play, but enough to see a glimmer of what can happen when he's knocking down more shots. I would also like to see him drive more to the basket as should Paul and Caleb and get to the charity stripe.

As to Cliff, Pike and the coaches need for him to understand that when he receives the ball he needs to turn and go right to the basket and not allow the double team to bottle him up. He should never put the ball on the floor unless he's isolated. I also think Pike needs to spread the floor more and allow for more isolations for Cliff as well as Cliff being able to kick the ball out and not allow two or more guys to surround him. And I would like to see him receive the ball closer to the basket and not fifteen feet away.

Lastly, I was so down after last night's loss, I don't know if we can get back the juice to squeeze out 3 more wins. Are we capable? Of course. But these last 3 games have been a debacle. Pike, Hobbs and Knight, need to figure this whole thing out fast or forget 5 and 6 seeds in the NCAA tourney, we won't be in the Tourney if we keep playing like this.

Last edited:
And let's assume the defense is not going to be as effective.....you have two options.

A) Play the same style and ask other players to perform at the same caliber of defense.

B) recognize that you do not have the same caliber of defense against better offensive teams and will have to alter how you play as a team.

I will not cut and paste the 4 to 5 layups or free reign on the perimeter for layups, because I'm being told teams like Iowa didn't score effectively against RU when Mag played. I'm also being led to believe that Mag was the defensive key to everything and RU held Iowa under 60 points in both games this year.

At some point, RU needs another "pitch".....we had the Jacob DeGrom in his prime fastball and cutter and now we just have the fastball.

The other "pitch" has to be developed and we have to emerge from this shell that allows the team to function, more than one way. There's far more CBB teams in the NCAAs, that have 4 to 5 scorers, not just 3 like Penn State or 1 like Minnesota or even 3 like Indiana.

In order to expand, it requires more points from Mulcahy instead of demanding elite defense on every possession.

Jacob deGrom is dealing with some soreness in his left side and pushed back his scheduled throwing session until Thursday.​

I am posting now, because I was too upset about last night's loss, and needed a day to collect my thoughts. I've read many of your posts here and agree and disagree (mainly agree) with much that has been written about.

So here's my take: Losing Mag WAS a big deal. Not so much for his offense, but for all of the intangibles he brought to the team. The first one IMO, is chemistry. The chemistry was working beautifully for the most part on D. Yes, Mag only scored about 8 points a game on average, but what he brought on the defensive side was a big deal. That's especially true around the basket. In addition, Mag was the glue in our press and the changing of the defenses. Without Mag, Paul and Cam have been exposed. Those two need to pick up their game and I think Simpson needs to play more especially if Paul continues to slog his way through.

Now, for the game last night. I thought Pike should have stopped the press after we nearly tied the game at 42-41. We allowed their team to speed us up, and they were not only breaking the press, but getting open looks in the process. I also thought we should have mixed up our defenses more and cut off all of the 3 point shots by playing more 2-3, 1-3-1 and match zone and not man-to-man. They were killing us on ball screens at the top and were knocking down 3 point shots with reckless abandon.

Nebraska averages 6 made threes a game. Last night they made 12. We gave them too many opportunities and Wilcher and Tominaga just killed us throughout the game. One would hope the law of averages would even out, but last night they stayed hot, and I believe we opened that door by pressing too much. If Nebraska had held to its average, we would have won this game, 72-64. But for argument sake, let's say they shot the ball better and hit 8 3 point shots, still above their average. We still win the game in a squeaker 72-70. But obviously that didn't happen. Based on the way we have played this season, 72 points should have been more than enough to win, excluding our play against Iowa.

Where Mag is missed the most, Paul and Cam and others have not picked up the slack. That IMO, is one of the main reasons, of our 3 game losing streak. I don't want to blame all or even a fair amount of this on Paul, be he has regressed and lost confidence. Pike needs to get him mentally back. He needs to make more shots, while Caleb needs to make less shots. Caleb, btw, is effective from 15 feet in. Period. I don't want to see him take more than 1 3 point shot a game, and preferably zero. Hyatt needs to keep shooting and so does Cam.

The other concern I have, is Pike not creating plays for Cam. Cam, IMO, started to come out of his slump last night. Not lights out like in the beginning of B1G play, but enough to see a glimmer of what can happen when he's knocking down more shots. I would also like to see him drive more to the basket as should Paul and Caleb and get to the charity stripe.

As to Cliff, Pike and the coaches need for him to understand that when he receives the ball he needs to turn and go right to the basket and not allow the double team to bottle him up. He should never put the ball on the floor unless he's isolated. I also think Pike needs to spread the floor more and allow for more isolations for Cliff as well as Cliff being able to kick the ball out and not allow two or more guys to surround him. And I would like to see him receive the ball closer to the basket and not fifteen feet away.

Lastly, I was so down after last night's loss, I don't know if we can get back the juice to squeeze out 3 more wins. Are we capable? Of course. But these last 3 games have been a debacle. Pike, Hobbs and Knight, need to figure this whole thing out fast or forget 5 and 6 seeds in the NCAA tourney, we won't be in the Tourney if we keep playing like this.
Agree with most of this but Cam was 3-11

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

I concur and have been saying the same thing. At some point you simply need to out score your opponent, period, defense is played by both teams. If your only modus operandi is hold teams to 55 every game , it’s a recipe for losing games with good offensive schemes and more than 1 break down player, shooter. I believe even WITH Mag we would have lost, as they were torching us. Mulcahy was the difference. Period.

I think what has to be faced is from here on in we are effectively a six man team. If we are going to press it has to be strategic and limited. Our 6 core guys all must step up. And we are going to have to slow the pace and play old school Rutgers grind it out basketball.

A lot has been written about Mag's overall benefits as a player to the team, and I know there's some incredulity about how important a single player can be.

One thing that hasn't gotten that much attention is what the loss of Mag does to our rotation patterns.

Prior to Mag going out, we had a pretty solid rotation of 7-8 guys with Hyatt/Simpson coming off the bench at the 1-4 spots and Reiber/Wolf coming off the bench at the 5. There was then a pretty large dropoff.

We had 6 guys for the 1-4 spots, and 3 guys at the 5. We could conceivably rest two starters at a time with relatively little dropoff (or take them off the court if they were underperforming), and would sometimes rest three if Omoruyi was out, too, but those were frequently "how much time can we steal with this lineup" moments mid/late first half.

That balance has shifted.

We now have 5 guys for the 1-4 spots before a very large dropoff, and have tried to press Palmquist/Reiber into service at the PF spot.

People have talked about taking Mulcahy off the floor if he's not being productive... but how do you do that if you already have Simpson on the floor giving McConnell/Spencer/Hyatt some rest? Are we going to run with Miller/Spencer/McConnell/Hyatt? Spencer/McConnell/Hyatt/Palmquist? Neither of those are especially competitive lineups, either, given our prior style of play.

We didn't have depth before... we REALLY don't have depth now. We had thin margins between offense/defense before.... we REALLY have thin margins now.

It's been said that we still would have gotten blown out by Nebraska, or that Mulcahy was the primary issue, or that our two starting guards scoring just 10 points in a combined 70 minutes was the problem... but do you think Mulcahy and Spencer would have each played 35 minutes if Mag were available?

It's not just the loss of a single player. It's the ripples that creates. Our rotations are more stretched. Our press is worse. Our help defense is worse. Our scoring efficiency is worse. Our ability to absorb foul trouble is worse. It's not just the individual stats that Mag brings to the table... it's how he functioned as a cog in the greater machine, which is now struggling to function properly.

The whole was more than the sum of its parts - and removing a piece of that whole has in some ways taken us down to simply being the sum of the remaining parts.

Now, I don't think this is insurmountable - we have pieces that can fit together into a new whole, but that's going to be a process of growing pains as Pike figures out how to make that work. And we don't have a whole lot of time to get up the learning curve on playing like a new, different team before the postseason... or even just to ensure we make the tournament.

A lot has been written about Mag's overall benefits as a player to the team, and I know there's some incredulity about how important a single player can be.

One thing that hasn't gotten that much attention is what the loss of Mag does to our rotation patterns.

Prior to Mag going out, we had a pretty solid rotation of 7-8 guys with Hyatt/Simpson coming off the bench at the 1-4 spots and Reiber/Wolf coming off the bench at the 5. There was then a pretty large dropoff.

We had 6 guys for the 1-4 spots, and 3 guys at the 5. We could conceivably rest two starters at a time with relatively little dropoff (or take them off the court if they were underperforming), and would sometimes rest three if Omoruyi was out, too, but those were frequently "how much time can we steal with this lineup" moments mid/late first half.

That balance has shifted.

We now have 5 guys for the 1-4 spots before a very large dropoff, and have tried to press Palmquist/Reiber into service at the PF spot.

People have talked about taking Mulcahy off the floor if he's not being productive... but how do you do that if you already have Simpson on the floor giving McConnell/Spencer/Hyatt some rest? Are we going to run with Miller/Spencer/McConnell/Hyatt? Spencer/McConnell/Hyatt/Palmquist? Neither of those are especially competitive lineups, either, given our prior style of play.

We didn't have depth before... we REALLY don't have depth now. We had thin margins between offense/defense before.... we REALLY have thin margins now.

It's been said that we still would have gotten blown out by Nebraska, or that Mulcahy was the primary issue, or that our two starting guards scoring just 10 points in a combined 70 minutes was the problem... but do you think Mulcahy and Spencer would have each played 35 minutes if Mag were available?

It's not just the loss of a single player. It's the ripples that creates. Our rotations are more stretched. Our press is worse. Our help defense is worse. Our scoring efficiency is worse. Our ability to absorb foul trouble is worse. It's not just the individual stats that Mag brings to the table... it's how he functioned as a cog in the greater machine, which is now struggling to function properly.

The whole was more than the sum of its parts - and removing a piece of that whole has in some ways taken us down to simply being the sum of the remaining parts.

Now, I don't think this is insurmountable - we have pieces that can fit together into a new whole, but that's going to be a process of growing pains as Pike figures out how to make that work. And we don't have a whole lot of time to get up the learning curve on playing like a new, different team before the postseason... or even just to ensure we make the tournament.
I think Aaron Breitman said it best when he said we lost our identity in the Nebraska game. Based on coach’s comments since the loss, he is intent on us reestablishing our defensive identity with the players that remain. It remains to be seen whether he will be successful given the limitations of the roster.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I think what has to be faced is from here on in we are effectively a six man team. If we are going to press it has to be strategic and limited. Our 6 core guys all must step up. And we are going to have to slow the pace and play old school Rutgers grind it out basketball.
Disagree. What matters is team offense, even with the other 3 role players. Even when things go well for us, and in prior years, we are still relying on isolation or 2-man ball with lobs to Cliff.

We aren’t built for team offense, especially with Paul or Caleb at PG, or even Geo before.

Contrast with Iowa, Nebraska and usually Wisconsin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT