ADVERTISEMENT

New Assistant Coach rumor - Nadine Domond

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
Could this also be a Coach in waiting type situation ? Coaches do go from Head Coach to Assistant, but, considering her past links to Stringer, this is an interesting possibility. Also played 9 years in the WNBA and originally from Connecticut.

Multiple sources have confirmed that Domond has accepted an assistant coaching position at Rutgers. However, the New Jersey based school has yet to make an official announcement.

http://hbcusports.com/2016/06/23/nadine-domond-resigns-as-gramblings-womens-basketball-coach/

She played for CVS during Stringer's lat year at Iowa and could be someone Vivian would be comfortable having on the bench and feels Domond wouldn't be a distraction as the HC in waiting.
But I don't think Hobbs will go the CIW route and will decide who he wants after Vivian and/ or him feels its time for her to retire.

Can she teach them to make lay ups?
That's just rude. Sorry, it is. If they need a coach to teach them how to make layups, then they don't belong at Rutgers. I'm tired of rude comments being excused.

On a separate note, she was recruited and played one (very unsuccessful) year for CVS. Thereafter she played for Angie Lee, the coach at Iowa immediately after Vivian, and we actually saw her play live in the NCAA's. If I recall correctly, Iowa was hosting when Rutgers was at Iowa State (on the opposite day) and we caught Iowa vs. Kansas.

I have heard her mentioned on and off as a very accomplished coach, however she only has 2 years as HC at Grambling. She improved a 10-20 record her first year to 17-14 her second, but I doubt that limited record would be likely to make her an "in waiting".

Reactions: MADHAT1
Her first year 2014-15 ( 11-20 / 7-11 Southwestern Athletic Conference) had a roster of seven freshmen, three junior college transfers and five walk-on's which makes her (17-14, 13-5 SWAC) 2015-16 record better than it looks. Especially since that 17-14 (13-5 conference) was the best record Grambling State had for 6 years
Grambling State had the same exact record as Domond’s first year in 2013-14 and was 9-23 (6-12) in 2012-13.
Seems like Nadine , in her second year, pointed Grambling State ion the right direction from the terrible program she took over.
Her resume might not be one that points to being the type of Coach that would be a great choice to take over after CVS retires and be the HC in waiting under Stringer. The turnaround Grambling State made under Nadine Domond shows she deserves consideration when it comes time to replace Vivian, but not the only one considered.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
Her first year 2014-15 ( 11-20 / 7-11 Southwestern Athletic Conference) had a roster of seven freshmen, three junior college transfers and five walk-on's which makes her (17-14, 13-5 SWAC) 2015-16 record better than it looks. Especially since that 17-14 (13-5 conference) was the best record Grambling State had for 6 years
Grambling State had the same exact record as Domond’s first year in 2013-14 and was 9-23 (6-12) in 2012-13.
Seems like Nadine , in her second year, pointed Grambling State ion the right direction from the terrible program she took over.
Her resume might not be one that points to being the type of Coach that would be a great choice to take over after CVS retires and be the HC in waiting under Stringer. The turnaround Grambling State made under Nadine Domond shows she deserves consideration when it comes time to replace Vivian, but not the only one considered.

I don't know if she will get consideration or deserves consideration. But, Coach in Waiting is typically someone with a lot of potential.

There have been a LOT of young coaches with potential given that opportunity and they excelled. The late Pat Summit comes to mind. She got the Tennessee job at 22 years old.

I don't know if she will get consideration or deserves consideration. But, Coach in Waiting is typically someone with a lot of potential.

There have been a LOT of young coaches with potential given that opportunity and they excelled. The late Pat Summit comes to mind. She got the Tennessee job at 22 years old.
I'm probably wrong, but think CIW doesn't work out as well as planned most of the time if for more than one season.
As for Domond being qualified to be CIW, I don't think she is right now , but she might deserve ( depending on how she does as an RU assistant ) a little consideration because she did take COY ( ( in the Conference Grambling State played in) because of the way she turned a loser into a winner by her second year there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT