ADVERTISEMENT

New Flood email news

I won't believe anything , until investigation completed.
Leaks about wanting Flood out can be from someone relying on an old rumor from before last season being recycled to fit what's going on now.
You know when something is taking time to be sorted out, speculation turns into ( so called) facts leaked and believed by those who want to believe the unproven rumor put out .

All I can say how I think this board is handling the Flood e-mail issue is:
Pogo.jpg

People jumping to any conclusions based upon half information and articles
I won't believe anything , until investigation completed.
Leaks about wanting Flood out can be from someone relying on an old rumor from before last season being recycled to fit what's going on now.
You know when something is taking time to be sorted out, speculation turns into ( so called) facts leaked and believed by those who want to believe the unproven rumor put out .

All I can say how I think this board is handling the Flood e-mail issue is:
Pogo.jpg
This

NJ.com muckraking continues and leaks out of Rutgers worse than the Titanic:

CN6IEUrVEAUZj8T.jpg

...and the leaker's 'agenda' is now as obvious as the noses on our faces. I trust their leaked info about as much as a guy ringing my doorbell at 2am offering to watch my wallet and car keys for me.

Joe P.

3-5 in the big ten, and they played a low tier ACC team in the Quick Lane Bowl, I hope your not too excited about that. They are lucky they made a bowl game.

Two things I get from your post

1. Unlike other teams we need to be better tan 7-5 to make a bowl

2. Team we beat in the bowl, NC, is beneath us and not a worthy opponent

As per #1, you are just a clown

As per #2, you agree with us that RU FB has come a long way by stating a team like NC shouldn't be on the field with us

Really hope he comes out of this ok. It would hurt Penn State if you guys got someone in who could competently sell your program.

Really no reason this investigation should be going this long. University needs to make a decision. There embarrassing themselves allowing leaks.

Julie wants him out???? she's probably cowering in the background.

Really hope he comes out of this ok. It would hurt Penn State if you guys got someone in who could competently sell your program.
See, here at Rutgers University we are actually scrutinizing actions of our coaches, legally, morally, and academically. Your coach not only survived, but competently sold TTFP for 10 to 15 years despite being ignorant of and/or non-responsive to recurring child abuse?

Reportedly the professor went to AR and 'asked them to get the student to stop badgering' them. Why couldn't the professor tell the student that themselves and/or just refer them to a department supervisor or back to AR?

Joe P.

Reactions: FlintTown
It makes sense for the investigation to go on for a bit if it is indeed an investigation and not a cover up. Flood has over a hundred athletes who had dozens of professors. At the very least you need to contact each professor and ask if they were ever contacted directly by a coach about a player's grades.

There are a couple of "Only in Higher Ed" elements of this story.

During summer recess you literally can't count on anything getting done if it involves the faculty. Admin can be sluggish also but the profs routinely reply with "I'll get back to you in September" to any inquiry.

Students expect their teachers to reply to them nearly instantly in real time as if on social media with their friends.

I'm falling on this side too. I think it's a campaign to get Flood out. But who is "they?" And why?

Didn't boosters largely pick up the bill for his pay raise and buyout that doubled from $700,000 to $1.4 million? I'd be looking squarely at some of those boosters who are looking to save themselves $700,000 in addition to a faction of RU athletic department admins who likely feel the same. Especially those who told him directly not to contact faculty.

That said, if they are a linch mob out to get him, Flood went out, bought the rope, and handed it to them. It's well known that as a coach, you don't contact professors directly regarding students. Flood damn well knew that and did it anyway. If there is evidence and those quotes from sources are true (I'm always skeptical of unnamed sources with an agenda), not only did he break a clear policy, but he did so after getting fair warning and being told directly to "drop it".

IMO, this should be a suspension worthy issue and likely trigger an NCAA review (that would likely result in nothing), but there are CLEARLY some powerful people that want him out. As an outsider, I think all RU fans should want him out. The guy is never going to recruit well enough to compete in the BigTen East against Harbaugh, Franklin, and Meyer.

RU's financials are in such bad shape, they can't afford to sit around and let him continue to bring in classes ranking in the 50's and being lucky to win 7 or 8 games a year. If RU wants to play with the big boys and have a big boy budget, they need to find a way to cover it with revenue. Taking upwards of $35 million from the university, student fees, tax payers, etc per year to sit at the big boy table is not sustainable and the only way to increase revenue is to win. You won't do that in this league with his recruiting. I know he's a nice guy (except when blatantly breaking university policy), but he's not your answer guys. College football is 90% about recruiting and he doesn't have it.

I don't have any inside info but just wanted to pointed out that the extension was 100% privately funded.

Which is why it makes zero sense for Rutgers to create a scandal to get rid of Flood.

Mulcahy created the "snowgate" scandal to try to avoid Waters' contract buyout. Pernetti used the baseball episode to avoid a full buyout for FHJ.

But Rutgers doesn't have to worry about funding the buyout for Flood, since the commitment is already in place to privately fund any buyout. If they want to fire him, they can just fire him and have the buyout paid for by someone else. Creating a scandal makes no sense.

I'm the first guy to protest against the athletic guys pressuring and bullying the academic guys. And I'm not a diehard Rutgers guy.

But even with this revelation, the reaction seems over the top to me. For all we know, Flood merely sent a final "Are you completely sure?" message to the Professor (who was apparently already aggravated by communication from the player himself, as it appears).

I don't think it's worthy of any more than a reprimand.

Reactions: JMD77 and ruready07
The NCAA didn't penalize Miami in its recent investigation because of problems with the Integrity of the investigation. I can see that happening here.

This is the same source Sargent used for the original story - adding details and spin, and not doing either very well.

So KF was "told not to intervene". If so, why? If it's against the rules, then why would anyone need to tell someone not to break said rules?

The following is all my conjecture:
From connecting the dots it sounds like the teacher has not issued Barnwell a grade.
Someone suggested that Barnwell may have missed a trip to NYC for a theater appreciation class.
I guess he has an "incomplete" instead of a grade. Barnwell was pestering the teacher to give him a grade or an assignment so that he could complete the course. The teacher emailed Academic Support, copying Flood, to ask them to stop Barnwell from pestering him??? Flood replied to the email asking what Barnwell can do to resolve this.

Since Flood did not initiate the contact, it would seem that he did not violate the written policy.

If he did, it is still just a procedural matter. A reprimand at most.

Still, there is an untold story here about the teacher and why he refuses to issue a grade or a way for the student to complete the course and get a grade.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Didn't boosters largely pick up the bill for his pay raise and buyout that doubled from $700,000 to $1.4 million? I'd be looking squarely at some of those boosters who are looking to save themselves $700,000 in addition to a faction of RU athletic department admins who likely feel the same. Especially those who told him directly not to contact faculty.

That said, if they are a linch mob out to get him, Flood went out, bought the rope, and handed it to them. It's well known that as a coach, you don't contact professors directly regarding students. Flood damn well knew that and did it anyway. If there is evidence and those quotes from sources are true (I'm always skeptical of unnamed sources with an agenda), not only did he break a clear policy, but he did so after getting fair warning and being told directly to "drop it".

IMO, this should be a suspension worthy issue and likely trigger an NCAA review (that would likely result in nothing), but there are CLEARLY some powerful people that want him out. As an outsider, I think all RU fans should want him out. The guy is never going to recruit well enough to compete in the BigTen East against Harbaugh, Franklin, and Meyer.

RU's financials are in such bad shape, they can't afford to sit around and let him continue to bring in classes ranking in the 50's and being lucky to win 7 or 8 games a year. If RU wants to play with the big boys and have a big boy budget, they need to find a way to cover it with revenue. Taking upwards of $35 million from the university, student fees, tax payers, etc per year to sit at the big boy table is not sustainable and the only way to increase revenue is to win. You won't do that in this league with his recruiting. I know he's a nice guy (except when blatantly breaking university policy), but he's not your answer guys. College football is 90% about recruiting and he doesn't have it.
Are you the part-time prof who went to the press? Freshman spud......

This is the same source Sargent used for the original story - adding details and spin, and not doing either very well.

So KF was "told not to intervene". If so, why? If it's against the rules, then why would anyone need to tell someone not to break said rules?

The following is all my conjecture:
From connecting the dots it sounds like the teacher has not issued Barnwell a grade.
Someone suggested that Barnwell may have missed a trip to NYC for a theater appreciation class.
I guess he has an "incomplete" instead of a grade. Barnwell was pestering the teacher to give him a grade or an assignment so that he could complete the course. The teacher emailed Academic Support, copying Flood, to ask them to stop Barnwell from pestering him??? Flood replied to the email asking what Barnwell can do to resolve this.

Since Flood did not initiate the contact, it would seem that he did not violate the written policy.

If he did, it is still just a procedural matter. A reprimand at most.

Still, there is an untold story here about the teacher and why he refuses to issue a grade or a way for the student to complete the course and get a grade.

Why would Barnewell have had an Inc, rather than a "F" or whatever his grade calculated to with a 0 for the trip to NYC?

Professor's don't hand out INC grades without a plan in place for the student to complete the work. If you are a student who just missed an assignment, you either get a F or whatever your grade is without the assignment.

Oh hardy har, 2nd of 8. or are you 3rd of 5?

Unlike at your sewage pit of an institution there are actually consequences to actions at RU.

Unlike at your sewage pit of an institution there are actually consequences to actions at RU.

I'll believe it when I see it. Most of you guys in this thread are defending him without actually knowing the facts. Sound familiar?

I'll answer jup540. Be happy that the only reason your program is at a higher level than ours is the Money your state supplies to your university. I think your football budget is at least 50% higher. Money talks.

I'll answer jup540. Be happy that the only reason your program is at a higher level than ours is the Money your state supplies to your university. I think your football budget is at least 50% higher. Money talks.

Well our athletic program is self-sufficient and our academic budget got cut by like a third of what the state typically gives us. So I wouldn't say we're exactly rolling in funds.

I'll believe it when I see it. Most of you guys in this thread are defending him without actually knowing the facts. Sound familiar?

No it does not sound familiar to your pathetic cult rallying to defend a 20+ year child rape operation. Seriously all you guys do is try to make everyone look as sick as yourselves, and you STILL don't realize that that's not humanly possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section118

Wow.... PSU's athletic department MAKES money most years and DOESN'T TAKE A DIME from the state nor the academic side of the university. In fact, some years PSU's AD has provided funds to the university for student enhancement.... Rutgers on the other hand is BY FAR the worst in the country at supplementing their athletic budget (to the tune of over 47%) with university and state funds. They are playing with a $76 million dollar budget on only $40 million in revenue. That's a $36 million dollar subsidy to support the athletic department, the HIGHEST IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. RU even charges every student a special fee to cover $10 million of the athletic budget. I really can't believe you just typed that... You literally couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited:
I don't see it as a PR issue, the biggest problem is that the story was leaked in the first place. A PR department has no control over that.

I don't see it as a PR issue, the biggest problem is that the story was leaked in the first place. A PR department has no control over that.
This should have been handled in days, not weeks! The university is a PR disaster.

Wow.... PSU's athletic budget MAKES money most years and doesn't TAKE A DIME from the state nor the academic side of the university. Rutgers on the other hand is BY FAR the worst in the country at supplementing their athletic budget (to the tune of over 47%) with university and state funds. RU even charges every student a special fee to cover $10 million of the athletic budget. I really can't believe you just typed that...

You're pretty good at making up false information and pretending it's fact. Ive seen better, but not bad.

no it does not sound familiar.

Getting a parking ticket and serial murders are both against the law but not quite similar. You guys lost all rights to compare yourselves with other schools. Your "school" is the King of S**t Mountain forever.

Another made up scandal on the e-mail, because the last attempt failed to get noticed failed.
Just spinning the contact a little differently.

Wow.... PSU's athletic department MAKES money most years and DOESN'T TAKE A DIME from the state nor the academic side of the university. In fact, some years PSU's AD has provided funds to the university for student enhancement.... Rutgers on the other hand is BY FAR the worst in the country at supplementing their athletic budget (to the tune of over 47%) with university and state funds. They are playing with a $76 million dollar budget on only $40 million in revenue. That's a $36 million dollar subsidy to support the athletic department, the HIGHEST IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. RU even charges every student a special fee to cover $10 million of the athletic budget. I really can't believe you just typed that... You literally couldn't be more wrong.
You are proving my point. PA invested in your university long ago. NJ does nothing. You didn't mention your athletic budget. I think it is around $125MM. Add to the fact that all the winning over the last 50 years has spurred endowements. I have no problem with how Pa has treated PSU over the last 50 years. But you have to admit that it all about the money and Pa has invested wisely.

Did RU hire Ted Wells to do this investigation? This should have been over and done with by now. Make a decision!

Another made up scandal on the e-mail, because the last attempt failed to get noticed failed.
Just spinning the contact a little differently.
Its disturbing to see how many of our fans eat up this gossip likes its the gospel...I mean latest global warming climate model.

Reactions: bac2therac
Why would Barnewell have had an Inc, rather than a "F" or whatever his grade calculated to with a 0 for the trip to NYC?

Professor's don't hand out INC grades without a plan in place for the student to complete the work. If you are a student who just missed an assignment, you either get a F or whatever your grade is without the assignment.

Perhaps not. Having closely followed the UNC scandal, I can tell you at that school, student-athletes had been directed by "support staff" to not show up for the final exam in real classes (i.e. not those fake "paper classes"), which effectively gave those SAs "incompletes." From there, a staff admin had actually forged the professors' signature and recorded a final grade and submit it to the registrar where that bogus "final grade" was recorded into the SAs official transcript. There were some 500+ unauthorized grade changes that were identified as involving SAs at UNC, per their scandal.

Not sure how Barnwell's summer school class was structured, but perhaps that paper he was required to submit served as the final exam, so by missing the show, he could not write the paper and so his final exam "grade" was MIA, thus the "incomplete" was recorded?

Maybe another ScarletNation poster with insights into the current RU grading process can shed some insight?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT