ADVERTISEMENT

New Flood email news

S.B. Crumb

All American
Dec 17, 2003
Not going to link NJ.com, but had to check this one out from my Google feed. Easy enough to find if you want.

Not so rosy an update IMO.

According to the official, Barnwell attempted to plead his case to the professor through email as well, and the professor, in an email, responded by notifying a Rutgers athletics academic support member to "please ask (Barnwell) to stop badgering me.''

Flood was kept in the loop throughout the process and was told that there was nothing that could be done, both of the officials said in separate interviews.

"The communication with him was clear as to the status of Nadir's grade and he still decided he could fight it,'' said one official, who claimed Flood "had a long paper trail of information'' and still contacted the professor.

Another official said: "It was already done and everybody in the program knew it. Kyle was told, 'It's done, leave it alone.' '

If this is true I have zero problem with Flood getting at least suspended. There's no way you can look at this in anyway other than Flood trying to use his position as a head coach to try and influence the situation. He crossed a line a coach shouldn't cross and was fully aware he was doing it.

This is not good news! Why would KF put himself in this predicament? Oy vey, this will be a shit storm.

If true, it's pretty bad. Knowingly doing something smacks of inflated ego and thinking yourself outside the rules.

Still feels like a lack of details. I just find it hard to believe he would keep asking if there are opportunities to improve the grade if he was told "it's done". Not a good move to be pushing like that if you were already told No.

Reactions: Cruising Route 66
That depends. We really don't know who said what. I had a professor give me a D for a class (I had B's on two mid terms). I went to him to review the final which he said I failed - it was open book. He said he threw them out and there was nothing he could do. I went to the head of the English department who stood up for the professor and said there was nothing he could do. I went to the dean who got involved and I got to take the final again. I got a B for the grade.

We don;t know if Barnwell asked Flood to reach out. We don't know who the mysterious "another official" is. Let it play out.

NJ.com muckraking continues and leaks out of Rutgers worse than the Titanic:

CN6IEUrVEAUZj8T.jpg

Reactions: Cruising Route 66
So, a professor engaged the athletic department to get a student to stop emailing him/her?

Interested to know all the details when they come to light.

I'm also unclear how this is "Flood using his position and influence." You could say that of Barnwell, who evidently was "badgering" the professor. But, it seems as though Flood was notified, and he simply reached out once to ask if there was anything else that could be done. I wouldn't call that using his position or influence. I think he just wanted to make sure that, indeed, nothing could be done because - of course - he is not privy to the communications between the professor and the student.

Now, if he was badgering the professor, after being told not to, then that's another story. But, it doesn't seem to be that way.

Suspend him for 4 games and get it over with. If this is true, JH would be right not to defend this level of stupidity/idiocy on Flood's part.

*sigh*

The quote from the "university official" doesn't make sense.

So, full disclosure, the fact that Barnwell's academic performance was so bad that he didn't have enough credits to maintain his continuing eligibility as of last semester is not news. I was told earlier in the summer that with regard to his eligibility, "he's not even close".

Given that this appears to be true in retrospect, one would have to ask "How (why) would Flood attempt to 'circumvent the process in order to get the kid eligible?'". The point being that the class in question wasn't going to do it. He could have gotten an A and it wouldn't have mattered. Barnwell would still be ineligible. So to try and intervene... it just doesn't make sense.

CN6IEUrVEAUZj8T.jpg

Which is very different than what was reported by ESPN last week.

I'm dubious of the SL's reporting, just because they get so much wrong so often. I'd be more concerned if this were independently corroborated through another channel.

Reactions: RUChoppin
The university still has not learned how to do anything in crisis management

I totally agree that the investigation needs to run course just to get people to not say that RU "swept under a rug"

That's the only way to get people to STFU

However...this is now dragging on a WEEK. Finish it and move on...

Instead...we let it linger in the media for a week locally and make it look bad

Someday, we will get PR right

All I see here is hat Flood did not "initiate contact." None of this really changes anything for me. Flood heard a lot of varying information, so he reached out to the professor directly to get the straight scoop and put it to rest "Is there anything the player can do to improve his grade"

Stop tying to read negative into it. There is no pressure stated or implied in what he sent. Stop suggesting any coach anywhere would be fired for something like this.

I totally agree that the investigation needs to run course just to get people to not say that RU "swept under a rug"

I have no confidence.

I've had 1:1 conversations with our last 3 ADs on this topic. It just seems like there's something in the Waters of the Raritan that preclude learning this lesson.

Reactions: Leonard23
Not going to link NJ.com, but had to check this one out from my Google feed. Easy enough to find if you want.

Not so rosy an update IMO.

According to the official, Barnwell attempted to plead his case to the professor through email as well, and the professor, in an email, responded by notifying a Rutgers athletics academic support member to "please ask (Barnwell) to stop badgering me.''

Flood was kept in the loop throughout the process and was told that there was nothing that could be done, both of the officials said in separate interviews.

"The communication with him was clear as to the status of Nadir's grade and he still decided he could fight it,'' said one official, who claimed Flood "had a long paper trail of information'' and still contacted the professor.

Another official said: "It was already done and everybody in the program knew it. Kyle was told, 'It's done, leave it alone.' '

Nothing in the OP discusses the content of Flood's email.

It could have said, "Give him an A, MFer!" or "I commend you for standing your ground. I've had a talk with Nadir and you should no longer have to worry about him bothering you. Please let me know if he contacts you again." or it could have been ANYTHING in between.

OMG a WEEK! That's ridiculous. Assuming they are doing a real discovery on past emails and interactions with professors/support a week is nothing. Half the people they would want to talk with are likely no even on campus. You have to be 100% sure that after you announce something another instance doesn't pop up.

exactly. I don't care what anyone says this has to be a distraction to the team. Somebody needs to contact the Fridge to get him ready to step in for a game or two. Let's get this over with already.

(looking like another dopey move by coach..but then again..it is the ledger so far)

This is bad news for Kyle, Why are university officials talking with the media about an ongoing investigation. Somebody wants him out as Head Coach, Time to bring in a real BIG10 Coach to turn this program and school around.

CN6IEUrVEAUZj8T.jpg

So Flood is getting chastised by these "sources" who are doing what they are accusing him of doing? These people need to be found and fired, if they even exist.

This wreaks of Keith Sargeant knowing this is his last chance. Writing on the wall he is not a well respected sports columnist and is looking to make a name for himself at his new job. If he is right the Newhouses give him a larger role. If he is wrong he is on the unemployment line 6 months faster than he would have been.

maybe there are profs looking for jobs in the AD as academic advisor types, hoping to replace current members and they are part of these leaks?

Here's the friggin' link - I'm sick of people talking about Ledger stories, but not actually providing the links, especially when the stories are worth linking, as this one is. We're adults here, not children. Anyway, Flood certainly looks like he violated RU policy, but without seeing the contents of the email, it still seems like a fairly innocuous transgression that I would expect to be dealt with via reprimand and training. I have a hard time believing this is going to be more than a blip for Flood/RU. Sounds like things may even be finalized today...

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ach_kyle_flood_told_not_to_contact_unive.html

"I have no reason to believe that I wouldn't be the person leading the football team on Saturday,'' Flood said. "My portion of the university process ended (Monday) and now until there's a resolution I really need to be respectful to that process and I won't have any further comment.''

While Flood said he wasn't given any indication on a timeline of the resolution, an official familiar with knowledge of the investigation told NJ Advance Media one more individual was scheduled to be questioned Tuesday and an outcome could be announced as early as today.

I liked Barnwell's dad's comments...

Reached by phone, Barnwell's father, Harvey, told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday he was unaware of the process that led to the investigation.

"I have no idea. I don't know what the process was,'' Harvey Barnwell said. "All I know is this is a sad situation. Coach Flood is a very good person, and a very good person shouldn't be put in this predicament.''

Barnwell's father said if he were advising Nadir on a college choice today knowing what he knows about Flood, he would "pick the same school again.''

"He's a stand-up person,'' Harvey Barnwell said. "I hate the fact that Coach Flood is caught up in this.''

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT