ADVERTISEMENT

Next years Roster

Is this still pure speculation, or has there been some new development?
No idea but when Richie posts something he usually is spot on or he wouldn't post; I am not sure what development you would want to see but when you see this kind of silence you have to know something is up and it usually isn't good

No idea but when Richie posts something he usually is spot on or he wouldn't post; I am not sure what development you would want to see but when you see this kind of silence you have to know something is up and it usually isn't good
The only developments I want to see are positive ones. Regarding Smikle's absence, I'm not just willing to think the worst when I don't know anything about what's going on. I just know that silence is not as uncommon as in the past. So many possible reasons exist that I just choose to wait until some legit info. is given.

Now....does your alter-ego have real info???

😄😄😄 Just messin with you!

But seriously,....Player's personal matters are much more respected and kept private these days. ...And if you or anyone else did know something, I would hope that it be kept close to the vest to allow the program to announce news when appropriate.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Health issues were always questioned on here but when you hide the actual reason for being out it leads to the belief it’s more than just that. If she goes … enjoy your next choice.

That said,......I hope we have at least swung for the fences.

We need to have offered THEE top player in the Class of 24 and should be heavily trying to get her to consider us. Yes, it would surprise the wcbb world if she chose us, but after seeing a couple highlight reels and interviews with her, she seems like a good fit, not only for Coquese's desired style of offense, but also with our current group of young ladies, and our culture. She and our incoming elite PG would be the cornerstones to usher in a new era of greatness at RU..
From my post earlier in this thread regarding the top recruit in the Class of '24, Sarah Strong

Don't laugh, I couldn't be more serious about this. She has narrowed her choices down to Duke, NC, and UConn. I know those schools have a lot to offer, but despite this season's outcome, our incoming point guard along with our current players make this a viable option. It especially works if players want to link up and build something special. I know I've said it before, but the infrastructure is laid for an elite program to exist here at RU. Our current coach is a knowlegable and capable one that happens to be a players coach. We've got the roster space to bring in a group that would like to play together.

Heck, offer Sarah's father, who was her youth bball coach, a job on the RUWBB staff. Brings him and the wife closer geographically during hoop season. Remember, Sarah's mom is Allison Feaster, who currently coaches with the Boston Celtics.

From my post earlier in this thread regarding the top recruit in the Class of '24, Sarah Strong

Don't laugh, I couldn't be more serious about this. She has narrowed her choices down to Duke, NC, and UConn. I know those schools have a lot to offer, but despite this season's outcome, our incoming point guard along with our current players make this a viable option. It especially works if players want to link up and build something special. I know I've said it before, but the infrastructure is laid for an elite program to exist here at RU. Our current coach is a knowlegable and capable one that happens to be a players coach. We've got the roster space to bring in a group that would like to play together.

Heck, offer Sarah's father, who was her youth bball coach, a job on the RUWBB staff. Brings him and the wife closer geographically during hoop season. Remember, Sarah's mom is Allison Feaster, who currently coaches with the Boston Celtics.

3 things -

1 - please do not suggest hiring a father to attract the daughter - several other programs have done it and got an awful lot of criticism that probably kept some recruits away. 2 examples are Georgia and Ohio State. I'm sure in both cases the offer to hire is offered as an inducement.

2 - apart from anything else, Rutgers lacks (at this time) the visibility that a player ranked that high would want and also lacks the NIL I am pretty certain that that player might command.

3 - and finally - she has made her "choice" down to 3 schools which all have reasons that they are attractive (probably some we don't know) - but UConn is UConn with the track record for WNBA placement, Duke is academically strong and UNC is coached by Courtney Banghart among other things. There is no point in touting Rutgers beyond saying that you wish she would have considered Rutgers.

Rutgers seriously needs to put some wins on the board - they don't have to look great, they need to look like they are showing promise, and the folks will come. When CVS was the coach, although I know many are in denial about this, they came to play for CVS, even though her first 2 seasons were bad, even though they had a bad year around the time that Cappie came, and even as success gradually lessened. Coach Washington is going to have difficulty attracting top tier players because they want to play specifically for her. Rather, she needs to present the advantages of Rutgers and the fact that the program is showing promise. At the moment, it isn't positioned to attract a top tier player - good players, yes, but with a ceiling.

Incidentally, Carlene lost her job at CSUN today. Great assistant, terrible head coach. Nice person, but that doesn't count for much as a head coach.

3 things -

1 - please do not suggest hiring a father to attract the daughter - several other programs have done it and got an awful lot of criticism that probably kept some recruits away. 2 examples are Georgia and Ohio State. I'm sure in both cases the offer to hire is offered as an inducement.

2 - apart from anything else, Rutgers lacks (at this time) the visibility that a player ranked that high would want and also lacks the NIL I am pretty certain that that player might command.

3 - and finally - she has made her "choice" down to 3 schools which all have reasons that they are attractive (probably some we don't know) - but UConn is UConn with the track record for WNBA placement, Duke is academically strong and UNC is coached by Courtney Banghart among other things. There is no point in touting Rutgers beyond saying that you wish she would have considered Rutgers.

Rutgers seriously needs to put some wins on the board - they don't have to look great, they need to look like they are showing promise, and the folks will come. When CVS was the coach, although I know many are in denial about this, they came to play for CVS, even though her first 2 seasons were bad, even though they had a bad year around the time that Cappie came, and even as success gradually lessened. Coach Washington is going to have difficulty attracting top tier players because they want to play specifically for her. Rather, she needs to present the advantages of Rutgers and the fact that the program is showing promise. At the moment, it isn't positioned to attract a top tier player - good players, yes, but with a ceiling.

Incidentally, Carlene lost her job at CSUN today. Great assistant, terrible head coach. Nice person, but that doesn't count for much as a head coach.
🤨KTFan! You gon stop trying to rain on our parade!!

I know everything you're saying makes perfectly good sense. That's why I started my posts on this topic the way that I did. I know it's a long shot and probably seen as an impossibility in most people's eyes. By now, you know me......I put it out there....for people to envision. Sometimes that is what is needed for some to see a good thing sitting right in front of them.

Now, ... going by the numbers,

With #1, I was semi-serious. I don't know enough about her dad to be all in on wanting to hire him on the staff. But if it brought Sarah, .......I think I'd find a spot.😉 He also might be a big help with recruiting, similar to the Terri Williams-Flournoy effect that has saved Penn State's HC's job.

The examples you gave, I'm familiar with the Ohio St situation, which actually brought the program back to Top 20 status. I'd say they made out pretty well with Kelsey Mitchell & her dad, (and sister along for the ride too, I think). I remember some good players around her who transferred in.

#2- As far as lacking visibility, most might think that, but the reality is that we play in a conference that is busting with star power and elite programs next season, even with Caitlin leaving. The additions of USC and UCLA bringing JuJu Watkins, KiKi Rice, L Betts, ........Rutgers players will be on the biggest of stages due to that alone. When people see Kiyomi, our games will be broadcast on national TV. If Sarah is as good as advertised, she could shine brightly with those she would be surrounded by here including others she, Kiyomi, Destiny, and Kaylene could attract.

People just have to have the vision.

#3- Narrowing down to three is not the same as decision made. It's not over till she has signed. I don't know what NIL differences for her exist between the schools, so I can't speak on that. I don't know how much that actually means to her either when it comes to choosing a school.

I know UNC has a logjam of player at Sarah's potential position. She can get all the minutes she wants with RU. Also, it appears Courtney didn't really do much to develop our Destiny Adams during the two years she was there. Haven't seen much development from Keys yet either. She just recruited over Keys and Destiny by bringing in the girl from Boston College via the portal.

We know Duke has the academics and Kara's team is on a really s-l-o-w uptick. She's had a lot of talent come and go with inconsistent success. The stage can be as big for Sarah at RU as it will be at Duke. The B1G is becoming pretty tough.

No words for UConn. Sarah, please! Don't do it!😣

🤨KTFan! You gon stop trying to rain on our parade!!

I know everything you're saying makes perfectly good sense. That's why I started my posts on this topic the way that I did. I know it's a long shot and probably seen as an impossibility in most people's eyes. By now, you know me......I put it out there....for people to envision. Sometimes that is what is needed for some to see a good thing sitting right in front of them.

Now, ... going by the numbers,

With #1, I was semi-serious. I don't know enough about her dad to be all in on wanting to hire him on the staff. But if it brought Sarah, .......I think I'd find a spot.😉 He also might be a big help with recruiting, similar to the Terri Williams-Flournoy effect that has saved Penn State's HC's job.

The examples you gave, I'm familiar with the Ohio St situation, which actually brought the program back to Top 20 status. I'd say they made out pretty well with Kelsey Mitchell & her dad, (and sister along for the ride too, I think). I remember some good players around her who transferred in.

#2- As far as lacking visibility, most might think that, but the reality is that we play in a conference that is busting with star power and elite programs next season, even with Caitlin leaving. The additions of USC and UCLA bringing JuJu Watkins, KiKi Rice, L Betts, ........Rutgers players will be on the biggest of stages due to that alone. When people see Kiyomi, our games will be broadcast on national TV. If Sarah is as good as advertised, she could shine brightly with those she would be surrounded by here including others she, Kiyomi, Destiny, and Kaylene could attract.

People just have to have the vision.

#3- Narrowing down to three is not the same as decision made. It's not over till she has signed. I don't know what NIL differences for her exist between the schools, so I can't speak on that. I don't know how much that actually means to her either when it comes to choosing a school.

I know UNC has a logjam of player at Sarah's potential position. She can get all the minutes she wants with RU. Also, it appears Courtney didn't really do much to develop our Destiny Adams during the two years she was there. Haven't seen much development from Keys yet either. She just recruited over Keys and Destiny by bringing in the girl from Boston College via the portal.

We know Duke has the academics and Kara's team is on a really s-l-o-w uptick. She's had a lot of talent come and go with inconsistent success. The stage can be as big for Sarah at RU as it will be at Duke. The B1G is becoming pretty tough.

No words for UConn. Sarah, please! Don't do it!😣
I'm not trying to rain on the Rutgers parade. But I have been following Women's Basketball since 1994 - not just Rutgers or Arizona but trying to have a good feel for Division I. I tend to know more about coaches than players, as I just can't (and never did) get interested in "prospects' and "recruit ranking".

I am pretty clear eyed about certain things - any program can recruit a really, really good player just because they are the right fit. Or "connections". Or diligent recruiting among the players not attracting a lot of attention. I was watching the CUSA final and they were pointing out that there are a ton of foreign players recruited by Matt Insell for his father. Arizona just announced 2 foreign players, for that matter. A lot of options. The biggest is coach "cred". But right now, Rutgers is "down" - not "down and out".

I'm fairly positive about Rutgers potential. But they need to be looking at the practical, which with the current state of things isn't thinking about the Sarah Strong's of the world.

I'm not trying to rain on the Rutgers parade. But I have been following Women's Basketball since 1994 - not just Rutgers or Arizona but trying to have a good feel for Division I. I tend to know more about coaches than players, as I just can't (and never did) get interested in "prospects' and "recruit ranking".

I am pretty clear eyed about certain things - any program can recruit a really, really good player just because they are the right fit. Or "connections". Or diligent recruiting among the players not attracting a lot of attention. I was watching the CUSA final and they were pointing out that there are a ton of foreign players recruited by Matt Insell for his father. Arizona just announced 2 foreign players, for that matter. A lot of options. The biggest is coach "cred". But right now, Rutgers is "down" - not "down and out".

I'm fairly positive about Rutgers potential. But they need to be looking at the practical, which with the current state of things isn't thinking about the Sarah Strong's of the world.
I hear everything you're saying , but I still haven't heard one good reason NOT to pursue whatever player Coach W would like to add to the roster. Yes, of course, she's got to apply common sense and diversify the recruiting targets. Coquese can't just target all Top 10 ranked recruits. I'm sure she's aware of probabilities that go along with landing various levels of recruits.

Landing Destiny and now Kiyomi, who both had plenty of elite suitors, kinda goes against what you're saying. If we take your approach, it's likely neither one would be a Scarlet Knight. Also, ... we did have M Blakes seriously considering our program. These are elite talents.

If you keep painting yourself as undeserving, most people will likely see you in that light. You know I know about the coach's cred, need to upset some teams, etc when it comes to Coquese and RU's current situation.

When Dawn began at SCar. she believed in herself and went after the No1, Ashja Wilson. The rest is history.

I say RU and Coquese need to avoid selling themselves short. When you understand the value of the program and all it and the area have to offer, it becomes easier to be able to envision and believe in the possibilities.

It's just like a person courting the girl of their dreams. If you don't let her know how you feel, you don't have a shot (0% chance of success).

Confidence in yourself paired with action improves your likelihood for success, right?

Gotta be in it to win it!

Still need a true center and not a undersized one
and you also have to show results on the court just like football you can only get so many players with promises
As I said above we have to have a full or close to full roster next year or this disaster will just keep on going

You had a full roster this year. One problem was they were not D-1 capable when it was needed. After watching Wisconsin vs. Illinois ( and we beat one these teams ) there is still an obvious difference in talent, skill, strength , size and offensive sets. When I watched GG in his first B1G games the physical difference and obvious lack of pre college competition became clear. Yes, he was certainly “ underdeveloped “ yet , I really believe with the injection of talented young players ( ‘24-‘25 class) will serve him well. If Gavin comes back at around 225- 230lbs it will give him a real chance to be that high 4-5 star level type most projected he’d be.

This is the moment of truth for Coach W. Portal season is open. In all fairness, as I stated a month or two ago when her seat started becoming hotter on this board, she deserves the opportunity to work this recruiting cycle to try to turn this thing around. What we have on the roster is a start. My confidence is with her.

Let's just see what happens.

This has been coming. Never appeared to be a players coach and that is more evident now today. As others suggest it’s not about replacing bodies it is about bringing in 7-8 -9 B1G types. I don’t think she has a clue. We will soon know.

Scratch Huerter. Portal bound.
This is the moment of truth for Coach W. Portal season is open. In all fairness, as I stated a month or two ago when her seat started becoming hotter on this board, she deserves the opportunity to work this recruiting cycle to try to turn this thing around. What we have on the roster is a start. My confidence is with her.

Let's just see what happens.
It appears on surface that won’t happen . How many losing seasons will it take ? All these players were recruited by whom?

It’s disappointing that Huerter she decided to leave the program. The most disappointing thing to me in the lack of intensity the players play with. I miss the old days. Stringers teams weren’t the most offensively gifted but they played with an edge on defense that kept them in most games. I’m not writing CW off yet but she has to get a full roster this year.

Any new on any targets that we’re looking at from the portal?

Reactions: highsoxguy
It’s disappointing that Huerter she decided to leave the program. The most disappointing thing to me in the lack of intensity the players play with. I miss the old days. Stringers teams weren’t the most offensively gifted but they played with an edge on defense that kept them in most games. I’m not writing CW off yet but she has to get a full roster this year.

Any new on any targets that we’re looking at from the portal?
Stringer? She is the one reason this Rutgers women’s team is a shell of what it was not long ago. Hoodwinked the AD and Rutgers. If you honestly believe GW is going to somehow miraculously turn this program around then you don’t understand NIL and perception.

We are almost three years removed from the disaster ending to the CVS era. This mess can’t and shouldn’t be blamed on her. Year 1 you get a pass. Also, say what you want but generally CVS teams were competitive. She messed up letting Tim lead the team in her absence.

The CVS bashing is sad at this point. The joke I made in a previous post about people teaching their great-grand kids to come on this board and bash a lady they called CVS actually seems like it may become a reality. 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: Bon1674
As gloomy as it may look right now, thinking about three portal entrants, .... the reality is that Coach W is still in a spot that she should be excited about.

We all know, she's got to be looking to upgrade the level of play at every position, by bringing in more bball savvy players that know how to play connected offensively, while providing plenty of toughness for improved defense. Those still on the roster, plus the two HS recruits, are a good start toward that.

With the three departing players, CW no longer has to be concerned with trying to find minutes to satisfy two players that are fairly one-dimensional and won't give you the defensive toughness you need to win games in P5-level play. Then you also lose one very talented player who never really showed an interest in playing with her teammates.

There are enough good, mid-major All-whatever players, who may not command a huge NIL deal, but are looking to move up to a bigger stage to showcase their skills and make a name for themselves. Coach W just has to sell our program as that place to make it happen. That is not a hard thing to sell because of our conference, our facilities, and current roster with many openings waiting for them to take advantage of.

Whether you are happy with Coquese or not, players should see that she is knowledgeable about the game, is a player's coach, and looks to provide a pleasant/drama-free environment. What more can you ask for???

AND.....she's willing to let players "cook", as young folks say, on offense.

And remember, .... at this point, she's only lost 1 of her recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUfanDNT
As gloomy as it may look right now, thinking about three portal entrants, .... the reality is that Coach W is still in a spot that she should be excited about.

We all know, she's got to be looking to upgrade the level of play at every position, by bringing in more bball savvy players that know how to play connected offensively, while providing plenty of toughness for improved defense. Those still on the roster, plus the two HS recruits, are a good start toward that.

With the three departing players, CW no longer has to be concerned with trying to find minutes to satisfy two players that are fairly one-dimensional and won't give you the defensive toughness you need to win games in P5-level play. Then you also lose one very talented player who never really showed an interest in playing with her teammates.

There are enough good, mid-major All-whatever players, who may not command a huge NIL deal, but are looking to move up to a bigger stage to showcase their skills and make a name for themselves. Coach W just has to sell our program as that place to make it happen. That is not a hard thing to sell because of our conference, our facilities, and current roster with many openings waiting for them to take advantage of.

Whether you are happy with Coquese or not, players should see that she is knowledgeable about the game, is a player's coach, and looks to provide a pleasant/drama-free environment. What more can you ask for???

AND.....she's willing to let players "cook", as young folks say, on offense.

And remember, .... at this point, she's only lost 1 of her recruits.
I totally agree with this post. I still have a lot of hope for the future, particularly if we keep Awa and Chyna! That would be a great core of 9 players.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Last year Rutgers hired their recruiting shark with ties in Texas and California. Let's wait and see what transfer players are brought in.

Last year they got Destiny Adams on April 15th and Mya Petticord on April 28th. Let these next 30+ days play out before some of you fire the coach after 2 years, lol.

How would people in here approach taking over a team with, what, three returning players? For the circumstances, I've been really impressed with the foundation Coach Washington and staff have been building so far. Despite the on-court shortcomings, she has a great group of girls in on the ground floor with her, and it's beginning to show in recruiting. Perkins will be a great contributor, McMiller is going to be a star, and they have a real shot at Blakes. Bringing Kahleah on board, along with Coach Enemkpali on the recruiting side, is really going to pay dividends down the road.
cvs had her teams in the Tournament every year and the reason she didn’t win a championship is because she didn’t have enough size in the paint, everything with her teams had to be short 5-9 guards and maybe one 6-4 center. She was beaten by UConn and Tennessee just about every time she was put in there bracket because the ncaa knew she wouldn’t win . I felt she would have gotten that championship if she added some taller girls like Tennessee , UConn because she had some good guard However the 55 can’t run for 60 minutes without the team getting tired just like the men’s team just did .

Reactions: RUcrazee
cvs had her teams in the Tournament every year and the reason she didn’t win a championship is because she didn’t have enough size in the paint, everything with her teams had to be short 5-9 guards and maybe one 6-4 center. She was beaten by UConn and Tennessee just about every time she was put in there bracket because the ncaa knew she wouldn’t win . I felt she would have gotten that championship if she added some taller girls like Tennessee , UConn because she had some good guard However the 55 can’t run for 60 minutes without the team getting tired just like the men’s team just did .
Our teams were beaten by UConn and Tennessee because they were better teams with more talent and better coaches. Superb as CVS was, she won NO NCs while Auremia and Summit won a combined 20 NCs and were part of 29 NCGs. There is simply no comparison. Don’t get me wrong, her record is outstanding, but it does not even come close to what those two other programs did.

Our teams were beaten by UConn and Tennessee because they were better teams with more talent and better coaches. Superb as CVS was, she won NO NCs while Auremia and Summit won a combined 20 NCs and were part of 29 NCGs. There is simply no comparison. Don’t get me wrong, her record is outstanding, but it does not even come close to what those two other programs did.
CVS bordered on greatness but ended as an excellent HC, deserving of being a HOF member, but nowhere near the GOAT category.
As for being the GOAT of Rutgers basketball HCs ?
Theresa Grentz might be considered the one
But C.Vivian Stringer isn't far behind Theresa , when it comes to the greatest Rutgers basketball coach

Reactions: ChasRC69
CVS bordered on greatness but ended as an excellent HC, deserving of being a HOF member, but nowhere near the GOAT category.
As for being the GOAT of Rutgers basketball HCs ?
Theresa Grentz might be considered the one
But C.Vivian Stringer isn't far behind Theresa , when it comes to the greatest Rutgers basketball coach
Tough call, Theresa had a better winning percentage, but in the NCAA era rarely went "deep" and never made a final four. But a consistent winner. And while her conference wins were gaudy, UConn wasn't in her conference.

One difference is Vivian recruited nationally while Theresa tended to recruit more locally. And the style of play was completely different. For whatever its worth.

I couldn't pick one, although if I was hiring one of them in their "prime" - if they could suddenly be returned to their best age by magic - I think I would choose Vivian.

Here are next year’s players:

Zachara Perkins - 6’3” guard/forward

Kiyomi McMiller - 5’8” point guard

Destiny Adams - 6’3” guard/forward

Mya Petticord - 5’9” guard

Antonia Bates - 6’3” guard/forward

Lisa Thompson - 5’9” guard

Kennedy Brandt - 5’10” guard

I’m not sure about the following 3 as far as whether they will be coming back. Does anyone have any insights?

Awa Sidibe - 5’11” guard

Kassandra Brown - 6’2” center

Chyna Cornwell - 6’3” center

Last edited:
All three gone. KB entered the draft, not sure if the other two are pursuing overseas opportunities.

Last edited:
All three gone. KB entered the draft, not sure if the other two are pursuing overseas opportunities.
Cornwall and Sidibe should both be back. Did not enter the portal and have 1 more year left. Sidibe was injured and Cornwall has a free covid year to use.

Where did you hear they were gone?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUfanDNT
Cornwall and Sidibe should both be back. Did not enter the portal and have 1 more year left.

Where did you hear they were gone?
To my knowledge neither Chyna nor Awa have made any announcements. They both walked on Senior Day but do have a year of eligibility remaining

Was going off wbbblog’s scholarship chart. Assumed they left in covid-year-eligible players on by default, guess not.

To my knowledge neither Chyna nor Awa have made any announcements. They both walked on Senior Day but do have a year of eligibility remaining
If they have a year left and have not entered the portal the strong assumption is that they are back. Players returning typically don't announce anything.

It will be good to get best defender and the athletic Sidibe back.

If all 3 are gone, then we need 5 transfers, including 2 centers, a power forward, a shooting guard, and a backup point guard.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
From last year

RUWBB 2023-24 Depth Chart
PGSGWPFC
M. PetticordK. SmikleA. SidibeD. AdamsC. Cornwell
?E. LafayetteA. BatesK. BrownK. Brown
J. HuerterJ. HuerterJ. HuerterA. Bates???
A. SidibeA. BatesE. LafayetteA. Sidibe
??

starters in red
? - opening for PG/CG
?? - opening for elite wing
??? - opening for 6'5 ish, skilled post

To this year

RUWBB 2023-24 Depth Chart
PGSGWPFC
K. Mc MillerM. PetticordA. SidibeD. AdamsC. Cornwell
?L. Thompson??A. Bates???
A. BatesA. SidibeZ. PerkinsZ.PerkinsD. Adams
K. BrandtA. BatesA. Sidibe

starters in bold
? - opening for PG/CG
?? - opening for elite wing
??? - opening for 6'5 ish, skilled post

Raouls table has the disclaimer that he does not routinely add in players with a Covid year left or injured players until camp begins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT