ADVERTISEMENT

Nigel Johnson transferring

Kyk, sorry man but you couldn't be more wrong. He was probably the top two defenders on the team.

Also, he had some offensive promise as he showed.

My 401k plan does not depend on Rutgers basketball, so I am okay. But still,you cannot say this kid couldn't play a part.

I am sure a part of it is him having to split time with Williams, who has earned more than his spot next year.

I thought they could share time, and the team could win. Like a lot have mentioned, predictions have to wait for next year. And I am guilty of this. I just thought most kids would stay, and I didn't see core pieces leaving.Oh well.

I trust Pikiell is ready to get another player or three.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Kyk, sorry man but you couldn't be more wrong. He was probably the top two defenders on the team.

My 401k plan does not depend on Rutgers basketball, so I am okay. But still,you cannot say this kid couldn't play a part.
We played 4 guards last year basically between corey mike issa and nigel. Nigel was the worst defender of the 4 by a wide margin.

Top 3 defenders were Williams, Thiam and Nigel Johnson. Of course Johnson had some isolated cases where he would lose his man or be slightly out of position, but, his "On Ball" defense was pretty damn good.

Surprised he is leaving......Kinda
Shocked............................Absolutely Not

This is the world of college hoops we now live in. This type of movement happens everywhere, particularly when a new coach takes the reins. We'll be fine. I have faith Pikiell and his staff will have full roster of players ready to ball in the fall.

I'm surprised but not surprised. He could get hot and score points but man was he horrible at driving and taking wtf shots against bigger defenders. Was not able to kick out to shooters or take a floater shot. This is the new age of college sports free agency in basketball and football: graduate transfers. I wish him all the luck and much success. Short term this is a loss for RU because he was a known factor for RU next season but I think Coach P prefers tall athletic guards that can shoot and defend and are prevalent in the BIG. That is the future.

GO RU

Reactions: bac2therac
I'm now guessing Corey transferring somewhere (maybe in FLA), working on his shooting for a year, then playing another 2 years is not out of the realm of possibilities. Kids have once in a lifetime opportunities to experience as much as they can....

It'll be interesting to see where Nigel ends up. Does he go to a "lesser" school where he's pretty much guaranteed a starting role and at least 25-30 minutes a game, or does he go to a school that's pretty much assured of earning a NCAA bid next season and play 15 minutes a game?

Of course, there's a slight possibility he could go to one where he gets starter's minutes and has a good chance of making the dance. Finding that perfect school would be difficult.

The bottom line at this moment is that Rutgers is out 18 points for next season based on Johnson averaging 11 points and Gettys 8 points for a team that had great difficulty scoring 60 points per game.Johnson was the closest Rutgers had for a somewhat consistent 3 point shooter.His loss can't be over stated on a offensively challenged team. Pikiell and staff must now pull a rabbit out of a hat in the next couple months in finding a scoring threat at this late stage of recruiting.It also will be interesting how Sanders reacts to Johnson leaving .I'm sure playing on a winning team is a consideration in his coming back.

I was hoping for a couple players transferring but Johnson certainly wasn't on that list.Just when fans start to get a positive vibe about the basketball team we suddenly hear that Johnson will transfer.While he wasn't a all star Johnson was one of the few players that could go on a scoring spree and carry the team during a game.Where are the points going to come from next year knowing that league competitors have so many talented players returning?

It's actually my fault. I shook Nigel's hand and said thanks for picking RU and good luck this year. I did the same with Derrick Randall years ago. Every player I touch transfers. So if coach needs to clear out more scholarships, I'm his man I guess. Just have me say hello to them.

Reactions: biazza38
Didn't expect it and even though he didn't live up to expectations, it will hurt.

Its a huge loss in terms of points but now we know why we brought in Mensah

People raved about Johnson for two years about how awesome he was, best player on the team and another Magic Johnson. The silly expectations put on him before last season were so over the top. He was a nice player but he was wildly inconsistent and while RU will suffer next year lets keep in mind....PIKIELL WILL WIN OR LOSE BASED ON THE CLASSES HE BRINGS IN 2018 AND 2019 NOT ON THE WIN AND LOSS RECORD IN 2017-2018. With an extra schollie to give RU will be able to perhaps get a head start.

Short term hurts, long term we are fine. I know some of you were wildly optimistic about next year.....RELAX...Let Pike bring his guys in, losing Nigel will not torpedo the program

I am sure a part of it is him having to split time with Williams, who has earned more than his spot next year.

I thought they could share time, and the team could win. Like a lot have mentioned, predictions have to wait for next year. And I am guilty of this. I just thought most kids would stay, and I didn't see core pieces leaving.Oh well.

I trust Pikiell is ready to get another player or three.

it was never about next year....

Sorry to hear about this. He was key in one or two of the wins at the end. I wish him well. I hope we find a good player to take his place.

The bottom line at this moment is that Rutgers is out 18 points for next season based on Johnson averaging 11 points and Gettys 8 points for a team that had great difficulty scoring 60 points per game.Johnson was the closest Rutgers had for a somewhat consistent 3 point shooter.His loss can't be over stated on a offensively challenged team. Pikiell and staff must now pull a rabbit out of a hat in the next couple months in finding a scoring threat at this late stage of recruiting.It also will be interesting how Sanders reacts to Johnson leaving .I'm sure playing on a winning team is a consideration in his coming back.

I was hoping for a couple players transferring but Johnson certainly wasn't on that list.Just when fans start to get a positive vibe about the basketball team we suddenly hear that Johnson will transfer.While he wasn't a all star Johnson was one of the few players that could go on a scoring spree and carry the team during a game.Where are the points going to come from next year knowing that league competitors have so many talented players returning?

It's one year left for Nigel and RU isn't going to average 42 PPG, because Gettys/Johnson or others depart based on their scoring averages.......those shots and chances get taken by other players on the roster or those that will be added to the roster.

There are players that can play all over the country that can fill in for a season or as a longer term recruit. I was indirectly telling people that although Baker is a freshman, he was going to be a contributor next year at worse as a 4th guard....he's now bumped up to 3rd guard status, until another guard is added..... Baker will have to compete and earn minutes regardless, but all indications are, he's going to buy-in, ala Mike Williams.....Williams is the leader of this team as far as attitude, buy-in and work ethic....others will be recruited to follow suit...Gettys also helped establish that culture change as well.

RU will not start next season with Sanders, Williams, Baker and Souf Mensah as it's top 4 guards....I would not say it with 100% certainty, but 99.9% certain we are very far from done.....very confident and 100% comfortable watching the transition take place.....

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Well that sucks.

Not sure why he would risk moving on to another program for 1 year when he knows the guaranteed opportunity and playing time available at RU.

probably wants to go to a program where he can play major minutes without sharing time with a guy like Williams...or go somewhere where he can make the NCAA tourney. Although not exactly sure any Power 5 program will be looking at him.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
I'm now guessing Corey transferring somewhere (maybe in FLA), working on his shooting for a year, then playing another 2 years is not out of the realm of possibilities. Kids have once in a lifetime opportunities to experience as much as they can....

RU can finish last in the B1G with or without Nigel Johnson.

He would not have been part of RU's resurgence in the conference.

Next.

People raved about Johnson for two years about how awesome he was, best player on the team and another Magic Johnson. The silly expectations put on him before last season were so over the top. He was a nice player but he was wildly inconsistent and while RU will suffer next year lets keep in mind....PIKIELL WILL WIN OR LOSE BASED ON THE CLASSES HE BRINGS IN 2018 AND 2019 NOT ON THE WIN AND LOSS RECORD IN 2017-2018. With an extra schollie to give RU will be able to perhaps get a head start.

Short term hurts, long term we are fine. I know some of you were wildly optimistic about next year.....RELAX...Let Pike bring his guys in, losing Nigel will not torpedo the program

AGREE.....I made this same comment some time ago and lots of people shot it down.......The future was always about the 2018/19 classes because of the limited open spots prior to those years. 2018 and 2019 is when the Staff of Pikiell, Hobbs and Knight would have the necessary time to build relationships with those recruits. They would not be playing catch up with a bunch of guys. It already resulted in a 4 Star commit in 2018.

AND.....it's important to back-fill with a Grad Transfer for Johnson to make sure we don't lose one of the 2018 spots. It's another reason why the transfer Mensah was important. He comes in for 2 years and opens a spot for 2019....which has some very good local players available.

Reactions: bac2therac
AGREE.....I made this same comment some time ago and lots of people shot it down.......The future was always about the 2018/19 classes because of the limited open spots prior to those years. 2018 and 2019 is when the Staff of Pikiell, Hobbs and Knight would have the necessary time to build relationships with those recruits. They would not be playing catch up with a bunch of guys. It already resulted in a 4 Star commit in 2018.

AND.....it's important to back-fill with a Grad Transfer for Johnson to make sure we don't lose one of the 2018 spots. It's another reason why the transfer Mensah was important. He comes in for 2 years and opens a spot for 2019....which has some very good local players available.

IF and its a big IF Pike can spot a 4 year player late bloomer he can land, then I would say you can go that route and use the open schollie on that..but agains its a big if...Alot of people freaked about losing DJ Foreman last year but I didnt.

My concern is momentum built on improvement this season could take a big hit next year with the loss of one of the few scoring threats.Nobody knows how successful Pikiell and staff will be in recruiting higher level talent.Mensah is just another complementary type player that isn't a scoring threat.Playing in a power conference like the B1G, moving upward in the league standings was going to be very difficult.Putting so much emphasis on the 2017-18 recruiting class will be a enormous challenge for Pikiell because the cupboard will be bare with all the players leaving next season.

Nigel is a very good player but he plays the same position as Corey, Williams and Geo. So he was always going to be the 3rd shooting guard when Pikiell brought in a true point guard. Yes this is a loss because Nigel could score and defend. On the positive side this gives the staff the chance to improve the wing and power forward positions.

My concern is momentum built on improvement this season could take a big hit next year with the loss of one of the few scoring threats.Nobody knows how successful Pikiell and staff will be in recruiting higher level talent.Mensah is just another complementary type player that isn't a scoring threat.Playing in a power conference like the B1G, moving upward in the league standings was going to be very difficult.Putting so much emphasis on the 2017-18 recruiting class will be a enormous challenge for Pikiell because the cupboard will be bare with all the players leaving next season.

Here's the thing; you as insider, no much more about the program than the outsiders looking in. You should know that next season's win/loss is irrelevant to the momentum this program has with a dedicated coach who's proven his own grit and a behemoth of a facility on the way. This should carry our momentum well past this next season. As long as we the fan base understand it and project it then it's what the recruits and outsiders will see.

When everyone goes woe is me or when writers make dumb statements like "there's no way to spin this" its an attack in the form of lies and misinformation on this positive narrative we KNOW we have going.

So i just suggest we take those two precious facts and positives, Pikiell and our facility, and we support it with our hearts and our dollars, because in reality it's that type of support that pulls players towards a school and makes them want to play there for the fans to be part of that culture.

*steps off alter*

Nigel got yanked and never returned to the floor in our last home game against Illinois. When the rest of the RAC and the team were going bananas after Deshawn won the game with his three, Nigel was stonefaced during the postgame celebration. Didn't even pretend to be happy. That was pretty telling at the time. I've seen it before, unfortunately. But, it's also telling that a coach would be willing to make that kind of decision at that late stage of the season, knowing what impact it might have on a player's decision whether to stay or go.

The badmouthing will begin, addition by subtraction, etc, but the bottom line is that on a team devoid of shooting/scoring options, it is a loss and I'd be surprised if we will be able to replace him with a grad transfer of equal potential value to next year's team. I fully understand those that say "it's not about next year" anyway so what's the big deal, but I will always argue that your record always matters if for no other reason that it is the most tangible evidence of progress and makes it easier to sell a vision. So, this is something the staff will need to overcome. We'll just have to sit back and see how the roster shapes up for next season before really assessing how big of a blow this is.

It's interesting that we "invested" two years in a player who only gave us one year on the court. I wonder if the ability of transfers to pack up and leave as grad transfers is going to cause come coaching staffs to think twice about taking regular transfers anymore since they'll have to waste a roster spot for at least two years and potentially only get one year payoff and then "adios." Without the grad transfer rule, coaching staffs had any player who redshirted or already transferred over a barrel. Now, the player has the upper hand assuming he's academically on track.

It'll be interesting to see where Nigel ends up. Does he go to a school where he's pretty much guaranteed a starting role and at least 25-30 minutes a game, or does he go to a school that's pretty much assured of a earning a NCAA bid next season and play 15 minutes a game?

Of course, there's a slight possibility he could go to one where he gets starter's minutes and has a good chance of making the dance. Finding that perfect school would be difficult.
You honestly think he can get minutes on
Nigel got yanked and never returned to the floor in our last home game against Illinois. When the rest of the RAC and the team were going bananas after Deshawn won the game with his three, Nigel was stonefaced during the postgame celebration. Didn't even pretend to be happy. That was pretty telling at the time. I've seen it before, unfortunately. But, it's also telling that a coach would be willing to make that kind of decision at that late stage of the season, knowing what impact it might have on a player's decision whether to stay or go.

The badmouthing will begin, addition by subtraction, etc, but the bottom line is that on a team devoid of shooting/scoring options, it is a loss and I'd be surprised if we will be able to replace him with a grad transfer of equal potential value to next year's team. I fully understand those that say "it's not about next year" anyway so what's the big deal, but I will always argue that your record always matters if for no other reason that it is the most tangible evidence of progress and makes it easier to sell a vision. So, this is something the staff will need to overcome. We'll just have to sit back and see how the roster shapes up for next season but really assessing how big of a blow this is.

It's interesting that we "invested" two years in a player who only gave us one year on the court. I wonder if the ability of transfers to pack up and leave as grad transfers is going to cause come coaching staffs to think twice about taking regular transfers anymore since they'll have to waste a roster spot for at least two years and potentially only get one year payoff and then "adios." Without the grad transfer rule, coaching staffs had any player who redshirted or already transferred over a barrel. Now, the player has the upper hand assuming he's academically on track.
This. Our team honestly played best when he wasnt on the floor. Again this is addition by subtraction

Well that sucks.

Not sure why he would risk moving on to another program for 1 year when he knows the guaranteed opportunity and playing time available at RU.
He is a Rutgers graduate probably looking to taste the NCAA Tournament once before he moves on in life. Sounds like a plan. $$$$

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT