ADVERTISEMENT

Nigel Johnson transferring

Imagine if Sanders, who has looked for years like a kid just itching to find a reason to leave his current team, is influenced by Nigel's departure and doesn't come back. Who knows where he goes. But that would leave RU without Gettys, Sanders and Johnson. Last year's team would be a scoring machine in comparison.

Imagine if Sanders, who has looked for years like a kid just itching to find a reason to leave his current team, is influenced by Nigel's departure and doesn't come back. Who knows where he goes. But that would leave RU without Gettys, Sanders and Johnson. Last year's team would be a scoring machine in comparison.

What?

I don't agree with the fact that Sanders has been itching to find reasons to leave.

He has an opportunity to get feedback, and he is taking it. He wants to be seen at that level so bad, but seemingly not realistic with what he has to do.

I think he likes playing here. I believe he comes back 85%. Twitter supports that, lol.

A few serious takeaways here
1. Exhibit A on the costs and consequences of coaching changes. Not making any commentary about firing Jordan, just looking ahead to the future (hope not). You take steps back. Sometimes a lot more back than you can go forward in the short term.
2. Yes i agree post season wasn't in cards with Nigel, but it could impact win loss progression.
3. We could now be in deep doo doo if Corey doesn't come back

With all this said based on all the clues I see for the long term this is not a negative for the program. This could be a positive as it clears the deck for a post graduate or junior college 2 to come in knowing 28-32 MPG are right there for the taking. My expectations is he will be able to fill the slot with an undersized guard that will bring what Nigel brings to the table and hopefully with a bit more hunger. Obviously we all prefer 6'3'' guy, but I am realistic that he goes to a better school.

A few serious takeaways here
1. Exhibit A on the costs and consequences of coaching changes. Not making any commentary about firing Jordan, just looking ahead to the future (hope not). You take steps back. Sometimes a lot more back than you can go forward in the short term.
2. Yes i agree post season wasn't in cards with Nigel, but it could impact win loss progression.
3. We could now be in deep doo doo if Corey doesn't come back

With all this said based on all the clues I see for the long term this is not a negative for the program. This could be a positive as it clears the deck for a post graduate or junior college 2 to come in knowing 28-32 MPG are right there for the taking. My expectations is he will be able to fill the slot with an undersized guard that will bring what Nigel brings to the table and hopefully with a bit more hunger. Obviously we all prefer 6'3'' guy, but I am realistic that he goes to a better school.

If Rutgers really wants to get better ,they better get taller guards that can shoot because many league opponents have those players.

I was a huge fan of Nigel's game and abilities as a player. He was exciting and fun to watch when he was on. Inconsistent but with a team that struggles to score like RU, I agree with those who say it'll difficult to replace him. Other than Sanders and Freeman occasionally, he's the only other player who can create their own shot. I do think Geo might be able to score a but how ready will he be to contribute right away.

Good luck to Nigel wherever he goes

Reactions: biazza38
Let's think about it...

3rd program, wasn't good enough to start at RU, and had trouble playing for Steve Pikiell.

For the P5/6 schools sake and Nigel's sake stay away. Nigel should play for a mid major, Iona type of school.

Nigel's stats, but they don't show everything he brought to table, or the weaknesses he had .
Min/G>26.2
FG% > .377
3ptFG%..350
FT%>.700
RB/G>3.3
Ast/G >2.0
St/G>1.2

For anyone that cares, Johnson is being recruited for his last year by Colorado, NC state, UVA, and UNLV.

At this point, Johnson has been on many paid vacations by the NCAA. Always with a ball in hand.

Reactions: dontestrond
Gotcha. I hope he does awesome.

Goes to show the risk on a player that has to sit a year. 14ppg+, 7 rebounds type of player. That is who you take a risk on for 3 1 year out, two year play.

Two years to play one and leaving to play one more somewhere else makes me not care about Nigel succeeding at his next stop ( basketball wise) or being able to have a decent pro career anywhere.
But I'm glad he earned his RU degree and hope he takes full advantage of the academic possibilities he might have at the school he winds up at.

Although I liked Nigel Johnsons game at times this season,

I will not miss him next season.

Not exactly a team guy IMHO.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
He is gone....I saw this coming in January/early February

Wish the kid well....he moves on and we move on

Focus on one more pick up for next year and the class of 2018 and 2019....that's the future foundation for this program

I read the Scout board and some not so good things were written about Johnson. That is where i get some info on the players. Can't say much but not a good teammate. Mod sat on info for a time about Johnson.

Last edited:
I read the Scout board and some not so good things were written about Johnson. That is where i get some info on the players.

Whatd you read?

Sanders was made the face of the program. While a good player, he was nowhere near light years above Johnson. At all. I think Johnson probably felt he was being treated different while producing the same results as Sanders.

It's all good as the program is moving forward. At many times though, I felt the treatment of Sanders and Johnson during the year was not even. Just my opinion.

Best of luck to Nigel. He gets a good shot at playing deep into the tournament next season for Tony Bennett, a great defensive coach who runs an efficient motion offense.

Should be no hard feelings on our part IMO.

Reactions: tanthony500
Agree. Wish him luck. He came in under different coach who got fired. If coaches who brought you in leave (voluntarily or involuntarily), then can't blame kids for doing so too.

Reactions: RUInFlorida
Does it make you feel better to take parting shots when a player leaves? I will never understand that. Transfers happen for various reasons. Sometimes you get a gettys and lose a player like Johnson, it happens.

ADVERTISEMENT