ADVERTISEMENT

Night of Upsets in Big 10

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Purdue goes down to Wisky 57-53...most likely eliminating RU from getting out of the bottom 4 barring an unlikely road win

Penn State up 42-19 on the Buckeyes late in the first half...would be a huge feather in the cap win times 2 as they would complete a sweep of OSU this year...and at 19-9 are legit NCAA contenders

Wow..and crazy 1h finish.
I don't get why the league with 3 top 10 teams isn't supposed to get 5 teams but I think nebby and PSU belong too.

Wow..and crazy 1h finish.
I don't get why the league with 3 top 10 teams isn't supposed to get 5 teams but I think nebby and PSU belong too.

the issue is the bottom 7 teams in the league are trash...and the whole conference schedule stupidly poor in non conference play and when they did face teams with pulses they lost...conference got raped in the Big 10/ACC challenge 8-2

PSU and Nebraska also scheduled poorly OOC in the plust 250 range. Conference has no one to blame but themselves

Reactions: Mr Magoo
That’s what drives me nuts too plus a decent Michigan team too. Nebraska and PSU both playing well and deserving of bids yet never in the conversation. Now they have to be.

Purdue guard them and don't double Haas and guard the shooters. Purdue now lost 3 out of 4 games?

the issue is the bottom 7 teams in the league are trash...and the whole conference schedule stupidly poor in non conference play and when they did face teams with pulses they lost...conference got raped in the Big 10/ACC challenge 8-2

PSU and Nebraska also scheduled poorly OOC in the plust 250 range. Conference has no one to blame but themselves
Uunderstand but early season should be discounted (a bit) imho. You could say RU..as low as we are almost beat fsu and did beat then #17? Shu. Nebby not getting credit for top 50 win even though minny was top 10 when they beat them,

With 68 teams hard to think they don't belong,

League definitely should get 5 and these two battle end seaon for it.

non conference wins and SOS is a huge part of the selection process...huge...its body of work, not how you finish. RU is horrible...alot of schools almost upset teams...we saw a bad Wisky beat Purdue, RU beat SHU in a rivarly game, upsets happen

Seton Hall has 4. quadrant 1 wins while Nebby and PSU have 0 and 2 quadrant 1 wins. Big East bubble schools. I have no sympathy for the Big 10 schools considering they have very few quality wins and terrible SOS compared to all the other leagues

I just get a kick out of how science and numbers drive the bball tourney but history and eye test drive the ncaa football playoffs...not sos.

And I go back and look at the tourney records and results by conf. Last year...how certain leagues are treated vs. Others vs. Actual results.

Clearly not perfect science so well see.

Purdue has been looking really slow lately. A team like Wisconsin only magnifies it since Wisconsin might be the slowest and least athletic P5 team.

Barring a deep B1G tourney run by PSU or Nebraska, the season finale of PSU at Nebraska might be a battle for a 5th B1G bid.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
League is better than rankings indicate. B1G schools see Michigan and MSU improve as year goes along. No one saw Minny collapsing. If NC State, Cuse are on the bubble then so are Nebraska and PSU. Who has Cincy beaten?? Why any different. Some of these numbers are just silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
non conference wins and SOS is a huge part of the selection process...huge...its body of work, not how you finish. RU is horrible...alot of schools almost upset teams...we saw a bad Wisky beat Purdue, RU beat SHU in a rivarly game, upsets happen

Seton Hall has 4. quadrant 1 wins while Nebby and PSU have 0 and 2 quadrant 1 wins. Big East bubble schools. I have no sympathy for the Big 10 schools considering they have very few quality wins and terrible SOS compared to all the other leagues
----------

can I still hope for SHU to lose a couple more in a row, or at least more than they win, and be left out somehow?

Agree on Purdue-----they look slow-----Cuse off the bubble now.

NC St has high end wins----Duke , UNC , Arizona-----they'll be tough to keep out.

62 teams ranked in Top 10 have lost this year thus far----lots of parity.

I just get a kick out of how science and numbers drive the bball tourney but history and eye test drive the ncaa football playoffs...not sos.

BB simply has a lot more empirical data to use than football. Once you take the conference games out of FB, you have a very small OOC sample to use as an objective measuring stick. If the conference is considered weak, those wins become a lot more suspect to the committees. Add that one of the OOC games is usually a true cupcake, and you just don't have a lot to work with.
All this said, one would be hard pressed not to believe that conferences like the SEC are not given a lot of leeway based on perception.

conference got raped in the Big 10/ACC challenge 8-2

True, but the Big 10 also fared well against the Big East, who so many are fawning over as the best conference. A lot of both challenges, of course, have to do with the match ups.

Bac, how much leeway is given outside of straight numbers?

I mean, Seton Hall's loss to RU was bad... but, as you say it was a rivalry game, and rivalry games sometimes throw the rankings out the window. From an "outside the numbers" perspective, I'd imagine that loss could be looked at a bit more leniently than if it was a loss on the road to whatever team is one ahead of us in RPI.

Same idea with Minnesota... might Nebraska's win over them have a bit more weight because it was before Lynch was tossed?

I mean, Seton Hall's loss to RU was bad... but, as you say it was a rivalry game, and rivalry games sometimes throw the rankings out the window. From an "outside the numbers" perspective, I'd imagine that loss could be looked at a bit more leniently than if it was a loss on the road to whatever team is one ahead of us in RPI.

Same idea with Minnesota... might Nebraska's win over them have a bit more weight because it was before Lynch was tossed?

I have no clue how hoops does it and I am not saying NU deserves a spot in the tourney yet. In football if you beat a team That is in the top 25 when you beat them it still counts as a top 25 win. The team you beat may end up with a loosing record but it is still viewed as a top 25 win. It’s not right that football does it that way and I don’t know if hoops does.

Reactions: shields

not sure any leeway with a rivalry..thats a bad loss for Seton Hall not matter how you look at...and because RU has a rpi around 200 its even worse

your latter scenerio can work however Minnesota has become so bad now that I dont think its going to be looked at as a good win at this point.

Big 10 could have made a case for themselves in non conference play but there is a dearth of wins against top 30 schools.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Mentioned on BTN last night that never has a Big Ten team won 12 in-conference games and not made the tournament. Assuming Nebraska wins 1 more game they get to the 12 win mark. I find it hard to believe they don't make the tournament.

But then again, the perception of the ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big East are greater this season. There are teams that have .500 or losing in-conference records that these Bracketologists have making the tournament (i.e. TCU, Seton Hall, Butler, Texas). I also question Kentucky at this stage. Not exactly playing great basketball.

Nebraska is 0-7 vs quadrant 1 schools. Texas and NCState are 5-7 each against quadrant 1, Butler 3-8, TCU 4-8, SHU 4-6. Its not the end all be all as their are other factors considered but when you do not have a quality win. They beat Michigan a good not great win and thats it folks.....their best OOC win was Maryland. In shots to pick up quallity ooc wins they lost to SJU, Creighton and UCF. Credit for close loss to Kansas but their best OOC is Boston College that does not cut

The Big 10 numbers are incredibly weak this year. I see Nebraska similar to USF a few years back..went 12-6 in the Big East but because of an unbalanced schedule the big wins were not there and some said they might not get in. Well they did get in. I do think a 14-4 conference mark will get them in even though they claim they do not look at conference records. Nebby needs to be a top 3 team in the conference tourney to bolster their resume, go out and do it.

Reactions: huskersalways
BAC, The ACC was 11-3 vs The BIG 10.. The Big East & BIG 10 were 4-4 again this season in the Gavitt games.

Quandrants are mind boggling stupid. Kansas doesn’t make a last second three they are already in. Their losses are as good as any team in the country. B1G underrated and will show it tourney time. Challenges rigged. Mean nothing.

Reactions: biazza38

The whole quadrant one argument is so flawed it’s not even funny. A neutral site win over Buffalo is a quadrant one win. That’s measured the same as a neutral site win again WVU. The RPI is so outdated. The B1G isn’t strong, but PSU and Nebby are winning games. I don’t think they’re in, but they have a shot. The top of the B1G is as good as it gets. After that, not so much. The Big 12 is overrated. I don’t even want to here about the SEC. Come on, Auburn is somehow in the top 10. However, I think TAMU can be a team to watch if they finish strong down the stretch

Last edited:
Reactions: RURM85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT