ADVERTISEMENT

NIT?

Committee going to punish us again next time we’re on the bubble if we don’t accept tbh.
Why? No one cares about the NIT. Its as useless as the CBI or whatever those scrimmage games are called.

It’s not even worth it for player experience since half the teams in it don’t give a frenchmans after missing the tourney so its like a bumass AAU meetup.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Why? No one cares about the NIT. Its as useless as the CBI or whatever those scrimmage games are called.
Because we’re the whipping boys this year. It’s our turn to prop the tournament up.

A&M got this treatment last year.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I count 11 AQ's for the NIT if I understand the AQ policy correctly.
Morehead St (OVC)
Southern Miss (Sun Belt)
Bradley (MVC)
Eastern Washington (Big Sky)
Hofstra (CAA)
Youngstown St (Horizon)
Alcorn St (SWAC)
UC Irvine (Big West)
Sam Houston St (WAC)
Yale (Ivy)
Toledo (MAC)

They’re not.

As long as we don’t blow a 10 point lead with a minute to go against a terrible team…..we good!!!
They can do whatever they want.

The could have also said, well that OSU game was a win. And that MSU game was technically neutral.

They decided not to.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Some of you people don't have to watch. I hope to go and not happy with snub.

Practice -practice-pratice.
Nit might be meaningless, but the Wolf , Derek and the rest who will be coming back could use NIT games to get more playing time this year.
I'd love to see Miller get more game minutes to see if it's worth staying or look for a program that his talent fit better in.
Wolf getting more game experience should only help his development.
Antonio for the same reason is why accepting a NIT invite might be a good idea.
Use NIT games to develop the players that didn't get the minutes this season so they can start next year with a little more game experience.
Antonio,Antwone and Derek should get the minutes in NIT to help them develop faster than just sitting during NIT play

• Love
Reactions: runrutgersrun
You send the middle finger to the NCAA committee by playing and winning the NIT. You don't do it by whining and declining. Lets play, could be great growth for a lot of guys.
This^^^^. Days like this show how much of an image problem we still have in some places. I'm also afraid we have no one at Rutgers that has any presence/influence anywhere in the world of college athletics. Declining an NIT Invitation will make no one at the NCAA happy...they run the NIT, too, I believe. Did any of these teams decline NIT invitations recently?

2021-22 Xavier Musketeers, Texas A&M Aggies
2020-21 Memphis Tigers, Mississippi State Bulldogs
2019-20 CANCELLED -Cancelled due to COVID19
2018-19 Texas Longhorns, Lipscomb Bisons
2017-18 Penn State Nittany Lions, Utah Utes
2016-17 TCU Horned Frogs, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
2015-16 George Washington Colonials, Valparaiso Crusaders
2014-15 Stanford Cardinal, Miami Hurricanes
2013-14 Minnesota Gophers, SMU Mustangs
2012-13 Baylor Bears, Iowa Hawkeyes
2011-12 Stanford Cardinal, Minnesota Gophers

All were 1st/2nd place finishers in the NIT...most all have more storied histories in college basketball than RU. Time for us to act like we WANT to be a bigtime school...and not act like entitled whiners...even if the selection committee FUBAR'ed things today! If the Coaches and players want to go, they should go. Plus, can always use the practice time, like they say about minor bowl game football invites. GO RU!

UNC says "No" to the NIT. Preseason #1 makes history as the first #1 to not make the NCAAs.
Their ego wouldn't allow nothing less than the Dance. even if playing in the NIT might help work on what keep them from dancing

I count 11 AQ's for the NIT if I understand the AQ policy correctly.
Morehead St (OVC)
Southern Miss (Sun Belt)
Bradley (MVC)
Eastern Washington (Big Sky)
Hofstra (CAA)
Youngstown St (Horizon)
Alcorn St (SWAC)
UC Irvine (Big West)
Sam Houston St (WAC)
Yale (Ivy)
Toledo (MAC)
We will almost certainly be a #1 seed and play either Yale or Hofstra in Round 1, with the possibility of a SHU rematch in Round 2.

I can’t believe the childlike attitude some are displaying tonight. Did we get hosed? Probably a B1G yes. Did we ultimately cause this scenario by piss poor play over last 5 weeks? I ‘d say we did. Should we go if invited to the NIT ? Without question yes again. Should we stop rooting for these guys ? NO… even at this level you never give in to those that gave us the shaft . Go out and win the next 5 games.That’s all a crazy season with many more to follow in the years ahead. I only wish I was 20 years younger in order to reap the benefit of finally getting there.
You know Bob, we have had our differences on this board in the past, but this may be one of the greatest posts of all time. Couldn’t agree more.

And that is what was lost by many over the past several years. We should be able to have disagreements and discussions it is what makes us what we are …humans. The post is nothing exceptional and but I accept your kind overture. Rutgers fans though upset with this slight by the NCAA should now rally around these players and staff. We have an opportunity and though it’s not what was anticipated by us we need to show why we are deserving in the future. We need to remain strong and resolute in the NIT tourney. We have not won any titles in MBB for many years… just realize people know this fact. Prove them wrong.

Decline it. We're in the best basketball conference in the country. The goal every year is to win the NCAA tournament; not the Little Sisters of the Poor Invitational. Let the Ivy League schools play the Mountain West.

"We appreciate the invitation, but our goal was to make and win the NCAA Tournament. We did not meet our goal and our season has ended. Good luck to the other Big 10 teams that the NCAA selection committee felt belonged in the tournament."
Tell that to Michigan, Wisconsin, Villanova - three of the proudest basketball brands - and Oregon and Clemson etc

Hinson's junior year played in NIt and next year in NCAA. You people can stay home.
The gut reaction for many is to turn it down, this is understandable

I think several teams that have won the NIT had gone on to great seasons the next

I personally don’t feel like going to the games, but it might be best for the program to play

That is the important thing overall

I say we should have said NO.

Its not like football. A month of practice and a few games now means little unless you play the young and that's not exactly gonna get you to the NIT consolation 4. There's no time to get guys healthy. And there are midterms.

But we said yes.. so.. GOOOO RUTGERS!

I certainly hope the players all wanted to play. And being BUSY with their own business while NCAA games are going on.. I mean.. that totally sucks as a Rutgers fan.. it will suck when those games are on. I can only imagine if I were a player and got so screwed over.

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Michigan, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, Seton Hall, Florida, Clemson, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Villanova to name a few. All disappointed I'm sure since it's not the NCAA but this should be a good tournament.
I'm looking forward to a few more good games and maybe a championship.
Go Kights!

So now we think we’re bb royalty like the crooked Tarheels. They are afraid of losing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT