ADVERTISEMENT

NJ exporting students

I wonder if they said it would help pay the public workers who RU employs. Maybe that gets Sweeney et al.

Incredibly frustrating graphic.

Cash just strolling out the door when they tell us how bankrupt we are.

Here's an interesting proposition. If the state bought empty land and built an auto-admit college on it, could it eventually stop the bleeding and turn a profit?

Incredibly frustrating graphic.

Cash just strolling out the door when they tell us how bankrupt we are.

Here's an interesting proposition. If the state bought empty land and built an auto-admit college on it, could it eventually stop the bleeding and turn a profit?

I'm not sure there's reason to be frustrated. Where would you expect that cash to end up if they stayed local? It's not like that money would end up in taxpayer hands. It would just be in the form of tuition to some institution.

Now if you want to say that a college could be economic boost for some region or area ok maybe but you really have to look at the cost of building a new college and infrastructure vs. the economic benefits. But it's not as simple as slapping up some campus and all of sudden those kids are going to stay in state.

My frustration is more with the lack of OOS coming in.

I'm just wondering in terms of the auto admit college in terms of ways to generate money, because we're going to need a lot of those.

What about having admissions not look at where the students are from at all when making a decision to admit to the main campus, and only looking at the other factors? That would improve Rutgers' academic reputation and diversity significantly. There are better students from Missouri who are denied admission to allow a slacker from NJ to get in. Rutgers, with its location near NYC and Big 10 affiliation can attract a lot of bright students from out of state who are just a notch below getting into Princeton. There's also enough space in Newark and Camden for the in state students and, by their locations, adult students who commute from NYC and Philly.

Camden would like more students, but I don't think it could take more than a thousand or two more without a lot of investment from the University and without a lot of cooperation from the City of Camden (which would prefer that land not be taken off the tax rolls). Most state universities differentiate on admissions between in-state and out-of-state students -- the University of California certainly does -- and I don't think it's politically palatable to do otherwise.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT