ADVERTISEMENT

NJ Herald article - What Rutgers lineup could be

Below were my thoughts that I posted on TOS. Again, I'm being a complete optimist here and hoping we have a season and Nick and SeaBass don't redshirt. However, reality tells us that with COVID we could see one if not both sit out. So in a perfect world, here we go.

"Assuming" the season happens and neither Suriano or SeaBass take Olympic shirts, here is where I think things shake out. The floor is about 6 national qualifiers and 2 AA's with the ceiling 7-8 national qualifiers and 3-5 AAs. The latter probably is wishful thinking, but there is talent on this roster to make it happen if all falls into place plus a little luck.

I know he's technically not on the roster, but I fully expect to see Van Brill at 157 with Kanniard eventually taking over 165 if not immediately but at some point. Van Brill should be a national qualifier. If he's back at full strength, I expect Vulakh to take the reins at 149. As for HWT, I love Colucci and he's a good security blanket to get through the traditional schedule, but the upside is with Boone here.

With this lineup we have 2 AA's pretty much in the bag with Suriano and Seabass with national championship aspirations for both wrestlers. It won't be easy as we know; especially for Suriano with Lee waiting in the wings.

I think Sammy is our 3rd AA candidate, and if all falls into line, this could be the year that we put 3 on the podium. However, 133 is notoriously a tough draw so there is no guarantee here but if he doesn't make the blood round a minimum, I'd be shocked. After that, there is "potential", for a 4th, but things have to break right.

There is some upside in the lineup, especially from Vulakh and Poz who have great pedigree, but Vulakh missing most of his RS year due to injury was definitely a setback. For that reason, I don't have enough of a sample set to make a bold prediction and Poz is still a true frosh at 184. The Poz situation is not the same as JoJo last year as Poz is physically more developed than Jo Jo was at this point and some of us discounted how important that "man strength" is at this level. In full disclosure, I've gotten to know the kid and he trained at my son's club (so a little bias here), but I would be shocked if this guy in his career doesn't make the podium at least twice. Jo Jo couldn't get out from bottom last year and it wore him down. Poz on the other hand is a Donnie D/ Yale disciple where teaching how to score from bottom is a big part of the mindset so he's already ahead of the game. The jump he made from his Sophomore to Junior and finally Senior year was significant, and he already showed early last season that he can compete with collegiate athletes out of the bag. But becoming an AA at this high a weight class as a true frosh is really tough if your name isn't Myles Martin or Bo.

I fully expect Grello to have his usual season poking around 18 to fringe top 10 status if he's on his game. However, past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior so unless he picks up the offense we are looking at blood round ceiling here. However, he could be this years DelVeccio and break through.

Janzer is the real wild card, and IMOP, the only real shot we have at this point of getting a 4th guy on the podium and potentially crack into the top 5. I fear he's a bit short for 197, but the guy is strong as a bull, started to develop that inside trip nicely last year, but like Grello he really needs to pick up the offense if he expects to get to the top 8. Boone, if he gets the spot, could surprise but I just don't have enough to go on at this point.

Kanniard and Donnor will battle it out. The former has more upside IMOP. Angelo still has a good shot at winning this spot if Vulakh isn't fully ready and could surprise in a few bouts. I like both wrestlers.

Even without Suriano and Rivera, I'll enjoy watching Aguilar again, and hopefully, JoJo has learned to escape from bottom. If healthy, I wouldn't discount Santos since he won wrestle-offs last year. Vulakh is still without college experience, although I hope he meets expectations. MVB gets to slip into 157 without challenge. I wish I had more confidence that he has improved. Hoping to see good things from Kanniard. Poz was more dominant last year than I can remember seeing since Hahn; I'm very optimistic.

At 174, I'd like to see some competition between Grello and Turley. I thought Turley had more upside coming in but I hear very little about him. Can he successfully challenge Grello?
The better scenario, with Suriano and Rivera, has success almost guaranteed up until meeting Lee and Yanni, respectively, - both being big challenges.

Even without Suriano and Rivera, I'll enjoy watching Aguilar again, and hopefully, JoJo has learned to escape from bottom. If healthy, I wouldn't discount Santos since he won wrestle-offs last year. Vulakh is still without college experience, although I hope he meets expectations. MVB gets to slip into 157 without challenge. I wish I had more confidence that he has improved. Hoping to see good things from Kanniard. Poz was more dominant last year than I can remember seeing since Hahn; I'm very optimistic.

At 174, I'd like to see some competition between Grello and Turley. I thought Turley had more upside coming in but I hear very little about him. Can he successfully challenge Grello?
The better scenario, with Suriano and Rivera, has success almost guaranteed up until meeting Lee and Yanni, respectively, - both being big challenges.

Turley will most likely redshirt and I don't see him taking Grello out anyway. I'm actually disappointed that we won't see Aguilar, but his replacement has some credentials ;)

Poz was a man among boys last year. He honestly went through the State championship as if it was his local District and that ankle pick has improved significantly. Too bad 184 is stacked as it gets tougher starting now.

Rivera can't defer since he RS'ed at NW so his clock is running but he can take an ORS since he qualified for the Puerto Rico team.

I can see Suriano wrestling and Rivera redshirting which would be a bummer to not ever have both on an active roster

Reactions: Leonard23
With football, basketball, and other sports coming back this fall it's a good sign for wrestling. I'm not sure we'll get fans in the RAC which is what Rivera wants but the season looks extremely likely at this point unless all hell breaks loose over the next 2-3 months.

Has the Star-Ledger and The Record and the Daily Record done articles on Rutgers wrestling?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT