ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Hosts No. 16/18 Michigan Friday Night

Looked like the UM player really sold it...I thought they said hit to head but he did not appear to make contact with head. Honestly it looked like an accident but can't referee intent.

First, the neck is included. I really don't think he sold it. Kim is what, 6'3" 220? Last it's consistant with today's game.

Reactions: Wagram97
Don't like Heningburg announcing.... sounded like a mich fan... and he must not realize that calling someone the teams "Robin" with respect to the teams Batman is no complement.
I think he’s awesome. His knowledge of the game is top level. Trust me, he’s a great supporter of RU. Hes always available whenever he’s called upon.

Last edited:
Also Dugenio, don’t think he gets enough credit. Wins two key FO’s in overtime. We’ve had some great transfers but he has to be up there as one of the best.

I recall that 2019 game up at Syracuse. Where Charalambides was Superman on the field, bunch of goals. Yet we lost because we couldn’t win a single FO. Dugenio has been just what we needed (heck, held his own his first season where he had to go up against some of the best FO players not once but twice).

RU and Maryland winning on the first possession of OT is Exhibit A of the value of a good FOGO. Wierman vs Dugenio will be a tremendous battle next weekend.

Glad we have him and agree he’s playing well - but the wing play was the difference. It looked like he lost the clamp at the dot in OT but forced the ball into space and to a RU player to win possession. Rowlet from UM is good.

Weirman looks mortal right now but showed yesterday he can still take a game over.

Agree the equipment check was BS - to me shows that MD is scared of this league especially with 2 losses.

UM showing what $$ and wise infrastructure investment can bring.

Loved the commentator (not Jules) referencing all the UM fans who made their way out…like they all aren’t from NY, MD, NJ, or VA.

Last why was this game on ESPNU instead of BTN?

So, all the "we suck" folks out there are now going to say that we were lucky to win? Well, boys and girls, you make your own luck. Take a peek at the stats. Although we did not win the faceoff battle (a statistic often cited by detractors), we outshot them 47-32. In the turnover department, we prevailed 15-6, were perfect in clears, and won the ground ball stat 32-27.

On top of that, a clutch goal in OT by Knoblock. Also, a super performance by Cameron.

On D, Stahanscyk had 3 ground balls and 3 caused turnoverrs, Apgar had 3 and 4 CT. And as usual, Rall gobbled up 7 ground balls. A team that sucks? Enough said.

We ain't dead yet people.
It was a great win! I thought the on ball defense overall played absolutely amazing. The caused turnovers and groundballs definitely enabled this win. We are very fortunate to get Cameron back.
But to me it highlighted some weakness of our team. Our offense seems very one dimensional. We are completely dependent on beating guys 1 on 1. We do not cut and so we never generate the numerous wide open looks Michigan got last night. And also, this means we're often forced into lower percentage shots which then requires that we get more shots to get an equivalent number of goals, assuming all else being equal.
On def our off ball sometimes seems overaggressive on dodges leaving guys wide open around the crease.

What happened to our Nascar transition game? Maybe someone else can explain why we seemed to have lost that aspect.

The margin of talent between the B1G teams is so razor thin.
This. In football the divide in talent from the haves and have nots is so apparent its obvious to anyone with eyes. In lax, and not just within the Big Ten, the talent discrepancy is so thin (if it even exists at all) that wins and losses are determined by stylistic matchups at the X, whether your goalie is seeing the ball well that day or if you are missing your big attacker on one side of the post.

Last edited:
It was a great win! I thought the on ball defense overall played absolutely amazing. The caused turnovers and groundballs definitely enabled this win. We are very fortunate to get Cameron back.
But to me it highlighted some weakness of our team. Our offense seems very one dimensional. We are completely dependent on beating guys 1 on 1. We do not cut and so we never generate the numerous wide open looks Michigan got last night. And also, this means we're often forced into lower percentage shots which then requires that we get more shots to get an equivalent number of goals, assuming all else being equal.
On def our off ball sometimes seems overaggressive on dodges leaving guys wide open around the crease.

What happened to our Nascar transition game? Maybe someone else can explain why we seemed to have lost that aspect.
I really like our team and our coaches. We played great on the ball D and limited their looks at our net.

This post asks some good questions that our big Lax guys can comment on. Cause going forward and improving these areas can be key to winning out the regular season and making a big run.

I love that you say this as if every goal was a “back side cut.” Yeah there were obviously some good goals.
But anyone who was watching the game go from 9-4 to 9-8 in a span under 4 minutes can’t honestly say there wasn’t atrocious defense played at that time.
Fortunately, we made some late adjustments and had a tremendous stop late.
My bad for criticizing the team.
I also praised them
It would be awesome for these game threads going forward if you could keep the positivity and tone down the emotional negativity.

• Love
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Glad we have him and agree he’s playing well - but the wing play was the difference. It looked like he lost the clamp at the dot in OT but forced the ball into space and to a RU player to win possession. Rowlet from UM is good.

Weirman looks mortal right now but showed yesterday he can still take a game over.

Agree the equipment check was BS - to me shows that MD is scared of this league especially with 2 losses.

UM showing what $$ and wise infrastructure investment can bring.

Loved the commentator (not Jules) referencing all the UM fans who made their way out…like they all aren’t from NY, MD, NJ, or VA.

Last why was this game on ESPNU instead of BTN?
I watched the game again. Dugenio had some ridiculously athletic gbs. One I particular. Winning the clam doesn’t mean much if you can’t pick it up. Wings were good too

I also seem to recall discussing the offense taking its foot off the gas when Brecht turned over the offensive staff a few years ago. We still have the reputation though.

You were spoiled by last years unit, which was elite from game one.
I’ll give Daniels some credit. He’s gotten much better in NASCAR.

If you read what the kids say it’s pretty obvious. We needed to become a better half field team. A lot of teams take away our NASCAR. Kirst was the best long outlet passer I’ve been seen. Kid dropped dimes triggering it. We’d also had 3 very offensive minded guys last year who could run and beat guys one on one.

It’s really evolution. Yea we don’t run as much but we run whenever it’s presented. We had some great nascar looks last night.

Kids are gaining and understanding though in how to control the game. See Knoblochs comments from yesterday.

Either way we got off 50 shots yesterday. Now not all of them were great but we are still playing at a high pace.

I’ll give Daniels some credit. He’s gotten much better in NASCAR.

If you read what the kids say it’s pretty obvious. We needed to become a better half field team. A lot of teams take away our NASCAR. Kirst was the best long outlet passer I’ve been seen. Kid dropped dimes triggering it. We’d also had 3 very offensive minded guys last year who could run and beat guys one on one.

It’s really evolution. Yea we don’t run as much but we run whenever it’s presented. We had some great nascar looks last night.

Kids are gaining and understanding though in how to control the game. See Knoblochs comments from yesterday.

Either way we got off 50 shots yesterday. Now not all of them were great but we are still playing at a high pace.

True on Daniels. And while not at a Kirst level, Mullin got off a number of 70 yarders to the attack positioned deep to break the Michigan press.

We are going to have to work out that bush league glove call Tillman did. We use a a lot of different gloves.
Cali, what exactly happened? I’m sure I will agree with your assessment, but I didn’t see the game…

Cali, what exactly happened? I’m sure I will agree with your assessment, but I didn’t see the game…
I’m not entirely sure if it’s just the faceoff guy needs to use a certain color glove or the entire team needs to use the same gloves. Either way Tillman got the refs to give Maryland possession after bringing it to the refs attention. Then he played dumb and tried to say he just asked about it but didn’t want them to call it. Totally lame. He lost a lot of respect with that charade.

Even his assistants were embarrassed.

I’m not entirely sure if it’s just the faceoff guy needs to use a certain color glove or the entire team needs to use the same gloves. Either way Tillman got the refs to give Maryland possession after bringing it to the refs attention. Then he played dumb and tried to say he just asked about it but didn’t want them to call it. Totally lame. He lost a lot of respect with that charade.

The playing dumb part during the post game interview was silly.
Really, it’s just a coincidence that you brought it up to the ref with the game tied and under 3 minutes to go.?

Have the balls to say you called it. He straight up lied. Really weak. The lacrosse world took notice. He lost a lot of respect.

Reactions: biazza38

Thank you. Yeah, I don’t like that either. I would rather risk giving up a potential game-winning possession than pull that. Maybe I have no right to say it since I’ve never been in those shoes.

ETA: yeah, he is getting trashed in several places I found online…

Last edited:
Reactions: biazza38
From the great WheelsRI at InsideMarylandSports:

With Wierman dominating the faceoff dot, he and Buckeye Sean Fritz (6-21, 3g) readied to take the next faceoff. The referees, however, huddled near the midfield line before calling over Ohio State coach Nick Myers and Maryland coach John Tillman. Myers became increasingly agitated and began yelling at Tillman, who backed away to his sideline. Myers then began screaming at Maryland’s players, who jeered Myers. Myers continued to scream at Tillman and yelling into the packed stands at Ohio State’s new lacrosse-only stadium.

The referees, upon Tillman’s suggestion, had determined that Fritz’s gloves violated an equipment rule. The color of Fritz’s gloves differed from his teammates’ gloves and was the same color as the head of his stick. The referees awarded possession to the Terps without having to faceoff. The incident had no impact on the game, as the Terps turned the ball over and gave Ohio State possession with just over a minute remaining in the game.
The goal gave the Terps the win, and the Terrapins spilled onto the field. As Erksa and his teammates taunted Ohio State’s fans, Myers continued to stew on the sidelines. With Tillman being interviewed by the Big Ten Network during the customary end-of-game handshake line, Myers appeared to wait for Tillman while chirping at Maryland’s assistant coaches Jake and Jesse Bernhardt.

https://247sports.com/college/maryl...ment-Ohio-State-Terps-John-Tillman-208043616/

Last edited:
Need to check that - don’t think there is anything against the head color being the same as the glove color - that’s why they added the different colored tape rule because the players hands have to be away from the head (not on it) and neon orange or green tape helps the ref check hand position.

Still can’t believe that happened. Hope RU buries them.

Reactions: Caliknight
I have no issue with Tillman calling that out to the refs. My issue is he should have owned it during the interview. Rules are rules and they’re created to be equal. If Tillman owned the decision he could’ve played the I know the rules better than you and that’s why we win championships at MD and you act like a jacka$$ Myers.

Do we know if the call was because the gloves were different than his teammates or because the glove matched the color of the head of the stick?

If the latter then I think it is a valid violation as that rule is in place as you can't be touching the head of the stick during a faceoff and the refs look for a gap between the glove and head which will be obscured if its all the same color.

Do we know if the call was because the gloves were different than his teammates or because the glove matched the color of the head of the stick?

If the latter then I think it is a valid violation as that rule is in place as you can't be touching the head of the stick during a faceoff and the refs look for a gap between the glove and head which will be obscured if its all the same color.
I saw a Greg G post that showed the rules as being the gloves needed to be a different color than the head for
The faceoff guys. Not saying he’s correct but not many know the faceoff rules better than Beast.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
I saw a Greg G post that showed the rules as being the gloves needed to be a different color than the head for
The faceoff guys. Not saying he’s correct but not many know the faceoff rules better than Beast.

Yeah there are some rules to try and protect the face off and I think it gets as detailed as you are not allowed to use tape(regardless of color) near the head that could confuse the glove + gap + head view. Most fogos are not going to directly call out the other guy to the ref but would certainly go back and tell their coaches about it, looks like Tillman banked that one until he thought he needed it.

We have beat up Tillman a bit for not taking ownership of that call but Myers deserves some shade as well. His jawing directly with the Maryland bench was not a good look and he definitely juiced them up.

Only State Penn athlete I like. Two different occasions he was super nice to my younger son.

His dad is pretty cool too. Sat with my boy at a PLL game and pointed out a few things.

Such a great ambassador for the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT