ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Set to Compete at the MatMen Open

Just two posts up bigmatt is saying he's a dark horse for a national champion, and you ranked them as high as number two. That sounds like National Champion anointing to me. Regardless I don't want to take away from the kids thunder. He had an amazing tournament. I just hate that we do this every year with anointing all Americans and national champions prematurely, and then these kids feel unnecessary pressure from the fans and administration to live up to these lofty goals. Being an All-American takes a real lot. Trust me on that one. That's all I'm going to say.
Someone said what should he be ranked so I said 2 because he beat the 2. I don't care what he's ranked. Rankings mean nothings. It's all about putting your foot on the line at National tournament.

Someone said what should he be ranked so I said 2 because he beat the 2. I don't care what he's ranked. Rankings mean nothings. It's all about putting your foot on the line at National tournament.
Mike: You certainly know that's not how rankings work. #2 will drop a few and Bulsak will go up a few. I hope to see him continue to win. He has said his goal is a national championship. I first thought that was unrealistic but nevertheless, something to strive
for. His final ranking will be very important when seeding is done.

Dark horse means he’s an underdog but could do it. If you think that’s inaccurate then that’s your opinion. But if you think that expression is anointing him a champion then you’re way off base.
What do you think I am...wet behind the ears? I know what a dark horse candidate means. I've never been way off base with any of my predictions. I also can tell you got become an All-American takes a lot more than beating one or two kids that are ranked highly. The NCAA tournament is a mind game. Of all them that I made, the two that I was very successful with took years of my life. My body got pounded.

The thing that's missing is that he's very tentative, and doesn't engage other wrestlers in tie-ups. He does that crouching down right forearm Ieaning on the hip thing while pawing at his opponents. If he thinks that works for him, he's going to continue to be beaten by the top 25 competition. Loved what I saw from Greg Bulsak, but I'm still not sold on the All-American and podium crowning. He's still letting ok to decent wrestlers get to his legs and when we face Michigan he's going to see someone like Brucki, who'll be constantly attacking his legs. If he could be victorious over the next level competition, then we have a bonafide stud. Just seems to be reminiscent of a Gravina career. Kicks butt during the season, then flounders when it matters.Greg is just not there yet. He also doesn't have a proven record amongst the top five competition and even the top 10 to be frank.
Much agreed on Boone. Unless he steps the game up, he isnt going to hang with top level competition. He has showed flashes of what he can become, but needs to do that more consistently. Disagree on your Turley points. Dude made All-American as a freshman and you want to compare him to Camp? If there's a desire to compete in the future for Turley, so be it. And he has been injured. But he is a skilled wrestler who has an AA under his belt. And comparing Bulsak to Gravina? Gravina, who was one of my favorites, wrestled with basically 1 1/4 shoulders the last how many years? Bulsak knocked off the reigning #2 and you bring up Gravina's name in comparison? Other than when Gravina tore up Knof's knee, did he beat anyone on the top 5? You mentioned Bulsak's competitors and their ability in the neutral position. Bulsak has been pretty damn good defending on his feet. Time will tell once the B1G matches go full swing and he goes against tip level every night, but he has looked really good. Please feel free to respond to ALL points.

Much agreed on Boone. Unless he steps the game up, he isnt going to hang with top level competition. He has showed flashes of what he can become, but needs to do that more consistently. Disagree on your Turley points. Dude made All-American as a freshman and you want to compare him to Camp? If there's a desire to compete in the future for Turley, so be it. And he has been injured. But he is a skilled wrestler who has an AA under his belt. And comparing Bulsak to Gravina? Gravina, who was one of my favorites, wrestled with basically 1 1/4 shoulders the last how many years? Bulsak knocked off the reigning #2 and you bring up Gravina's name in comparison? Other than when Gravina tore up Knof's knee, did he beat anyone on the top 5? You mentioned Bulsak's competitors and their ability in the neutral position. Bulsak has been pretty damn good defending on his feet. Time will tell once the B1G matches go full swing and he goes against tip level every night, but he has looked really good. Please feel free to respond to ALL points.
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree. To counter your Bulsak argument,Gravina did beat Dudley from Nebraska who was ranked 3 at the time. Also, to your point, my comparison of Turley to Camp was meant to be that they were both studs at this point of their career, and regressed badly because of some sort of mental block. I've been pretty good with my predictions so far outside of my Cornell debacle. I do disagree that Bulsak will get on the podium. I just don't think he has enough in his arsenal. Yes him beating the kid from Pitt was great. If he does great against the second half of competition this season, I'll eat my words.

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree. To counter your Bulsak argument,Gravina did beat Dudley from Nebraska who was ranked 3 at the time. Also, to your point, my comparison of Turley to Camp was meant to be that they were both studs at this point of their career, and regressed badly because of some sort of mental block. I've been pretty good with my predictions so far outside of my Cornell debacle. I do disagree that Bulsak will get on the podium. I just don't think he has enough in his arsenal. Yes him beating the kid from Pitt was great. If he does great against the second half of competition this season, I'll eat my words.
Bulsak has proved to be way more athletic than expected. He moves well too and has been noticeably more aggressive on his feet over the past few matches. Good stance and motion (a lot of other guys on the team stand way too flat footed) but needs continue to develop his head/hands defense and hand fighting to keep guys off his legs. When he attacks needs to finish quick to avoid scramble positions. Someone like Max Dean who is really good in scrambles will try to exploit both situations. Bulsak seems to ride a bit high at times but it hasn’t been an issue so maybe what I think I’m seeing isn’t accurate. He has a good gas tank and looks to be strong as an ox. As previously mentioned NCAA’s are a grind mentally. But, first tourney test passed so a lot to be excited about for him moving forward. Great addition to the team.

Be ready to eat your words Crackers… Bulsak has jumped lvls(we all know how hard that is in d1 wrestling). Improved greatly on his feet and is a MONSTER on top.. I get it, we had guys w/ AA aspirations then had a bad ncaa tourney so u wanna be cautious but be ready to eat for this one lol.

As for Turley.. idk if we can consider him a stud rn.. remember, it wasn’t too long ago he wasn’t even starting then had a crazy nationals run to AA that no one could have saw coming. (Idk where that beast went to but I hope he comes back). rn Turley is a way bigger question mark to AA (way too inconsistent/could be hurt) then Bulsak is.

John Van Brill tore up Nolf’s knee my friend!
Thanks for the correction. On that night, Gravina wrestled Nickal tough and as I remember, kept clubbing him on the head and neck and was surprisingly never even warned by the ref.

Bulsak has proved to be way more athletic than expected. He moves well too and has been noticeably more aggressive on his feet over the past few matches. Good stance and motion (a lot of other guys on the team stand way too flat footed) but needs continue to develop his head/hands defense and hand fighting to keep guys off his legs. When he attacks needs to finish quick to avoid scramble positions. Someone like Max Dean who is really good in scrambles will try to exploit both situations. Bulsak seems to ride a bit high at times but it hasn’t been an issue so maybe what I think I’m seeing isn’t accurate. He has a good gas tank and looks to be strong as an ox. As previously mentioned NCAA’s are a grind mentally. But, first tourney test passed so a lot to be excited about for him moving forward. Great addition to the team.
Look, Bulsak has only been here for a year or so, and I don't want him to make him the new Scarlet Nation target. Kid comes to wrestle every match, and is very unassuming. He keeps to himself and does all his talking on the mat. There's a lot to be said for that. So I want you to re-read what you wrote. He needs head and hands defense and to keep guys off his legs. That has been my argument from the beginning. He has made Improvement the last couple matches, but not enough that I've seen where he is consistently keeping defenders off him. That's a big problem when we start facing someone like a Max Dean. He was getting taken down by the lower half of the top 25 competition at will. I can't see him improving that much where he now is fighting off every takedown. You also mentioned another thing that I had was concerned about which was finishing attacks to avoid the scramble positions. He would get it on single leg and not be able to finish or at least get the leg tree topped He will never do that against a Brucki or a Dean.

Reactions: gogs7
You should get your facts straight ..Gravina was never on the mat with Jason Nolf lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT