ADVERTISEMENT

No. 3 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Plays No. 1 Maryland In Big Ten Title Game / Saturday night at 8 p.m.

We are tired. Clear the bench. Regroup for a final four run and hope you don’t run into theee guys until then.

We are tired. Clear the bench. Regroup for a final four run and hope you don’t run into theee guys until then.

I'd love it if Rutgers gets the 6 seed. Wouldn't see Maryland until Memorial Day, and Georgetown (who I think they have a chance against) until the preceding Saturday.

Didn’t expect a win, but that was flat out disappointing. Be nice to make the Final Four.

Disappointing but not entirely surprising. Maryland has multiple gears...and when focused, they’re unbeatable...

Ive now watched them play live 4 times this year...they’re easily the best team I’ve ever seen...and I’ve watched a lot of live lacrosse...

Truth is you can’t have a face off performance like that vs most teams let alone Maryland

You can’t turn the ball over 13 times in a half

You can’t get outshot 28-11 in the first half

Truth is, Rutgers holding this team to 8 goals in the first half and 10 goals with 5 minutes left in the 3rd was a very very good defensive performance...again when you look at the stats...

You CAN NOT put that kind of pressure on your defense and goalie and expect to win

With an even decent offensive performance by us, the game should have been 8-5 at half and 10-8 with 5 min left in the 3rd...we would have all taken that vs this team...

But, not executing or converting offense into goals put way way to much pressure on our defense. Giving MD so many more possessions. That kills us

But for the handful of people here that actually pay attention to other games....Maryland has done this to everyone...

Story of the night.

But now you win and lose as a team...This lockeroom is tight and veteran. We will see what matchup we get and hopefully it’s a good one for RU

It wasn’t an effort thing tonight and the guys didn’t quit...just to many horses at all spots for MD

Tomorrow is a new day. Gotta a game to get ready for next week

Disappointing but not entirely surprising. Maryland has multiple gears...and when focused, they’re unbeatable...

Ive now watched them play live 4 times this year...they’re easily the best team I’ve ever seen...and I’ve watched a lot of live lacrosse...

Truth is you can’t have a face off performance like that vs most teams let alone Maryland

Truth is, Rutgers holding this team to 8 goals in the first half and 10 goals with 5 minutes left in the 3rd was a very very good defensive performance...again when you look at the stats...

You CAN NOT put that kind of pressure on your defense and goalie and expect to win

With an even decent offensive performance by us, the game should have been 8-5 at half and 10-8 with 5 min left in the 3rd...we would have all taken that vs this team...

But, not executing or converting offense into goals put way way to much pressure on our defense. Giving MD so many more possessions. That kills us

But for the handful of people here that actually pay attention to other games....Maryland has done this to everyone...

Story of the night.

But now you win and lose as a team...This lockeroom is tight and veteran. We will see what matchup we get and hopefully it’s a good one for RU

It wasn’t an effort thing tonight and the guys didn’t quit...just to many horses at all spots for MD

Spot on comments.Maryland is far superior to other teams in talent and coaching.Faceoffs and turnovers gave Maryland far too many offensive possessions which simply wore down Rutgers defense.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Too many unforced errors and bad decisions. I get Maryland is good and fast on D, but Rutgers offensive sets are doing very little in the way of quality chances. It's brutal watching them pass the ball around on the perimeter and the shot clock expiring. In contrast, Maryland's offensive sets make them look like a bunch of professionals playing against a JV team.
Talent matters in sports.Maryland is the gold standard in Lacrosse just like Alabama has been in football and Duke in mens basketball.Those teams attract the best recruits which gives them the advantage in winning championships.Of course,there will be upsets in sports which keeps fan interest..Rutgers is showing great improvement in the Olympic sports which is a credit to Hobbs in hiring the right head coaches.

This loss is all the coaching staff and Brecht in particular. How does he enter last summer knowing his biggest need is a faceoff guy and not get the Calderone kid from UMD ( who is now at BU) top ten fogo.

• Haha
Reactions: Terry_2426

Story of the night.

This^^^^
The announcer said it best going into halftime. It was "death by a thousand paper cuts." As I watched I kept returning to one analogy. Maryland is the proverbial boa constrictor. They pressure you from every side...in every aspect of gameplay. A great save here, a plunger for an odd man goal there, a 1v1 matchup behind the cage. You can't breathe anywhere because this team matches or exceeds what you do. They will match your strength and feast on your weakness. I've gameplanned enough youth football and lacrosse games to understand that my teams and my opponents have weakness and strengths and it's a lotta fun to hide yours and exploit theirs. Coaches LOVE the chess game. But it's a freaking nightmare when you play that rare team that does what you do only better.

Well not much different than the other times we played MD. Ok great to get this far.

This loss is all the coaching staff and Brecht in particular. How does he enter last summer knowing his biggest need is a faceoff guy and not get the Calderone kid from UMD ( who is now at BU) top ten fogo.
How can you say that when we landed 6 transfers and reloaded instead of struggling through a rebuilding year? Dugenio's FO win % improved from .396 to .505. Calderone's FO stats are pretty similar to Dugenio's, and MD knows Calderone very well since they had him last year, so I'm not sure that he makes much of a FO difference this game. Calderone won about 55% (223-400) compared to Dugenio's 50% (162-321), but looking at common opponents, Dugenio performed better than Calderone against Loyola and Army:

Loyola -
Calderone 10-27
Dugenio 12-26

Army -
Calderone 15-32
Dugenio 14-25

Lafayette -
Calderone 32-34
Dugenio 14-19

Last edited:
I stayed off this thread last night because I knew there would be ridiculous comments from the usual suspects and even a few more who only chime in when we are getting beat. In college lacrosse this year, there's Maryland and there's everybody else. Their talent is off the charts. They are like the old Soviet Union hockey teams. It will take a 1980 Miracle on Ice effort for anyone to beat them in the tournament.

I stayed off this thread last night because I knew there would be ridiculous comments from the usual suspects and even a few more who only chime in when we are getting beat. In college lacrosse this year, there's Maryland and there's everybody else. Their talent is off the charts. They are like the old Soviet Union hockey teams. It will take a 1980 Miracle on Ice effort for anyone to beat them in the tournament.
I certainly hope someone else has a game like that... so we don't have to meet them again in the NCAAs...

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Blame game.....love it. MD is elite....need to relax as we just had one of our best seasons ever.....

There’s a difference between winning a game and looking like complete dog###t.

I get Maryland is leaps and bounds the best team…we could have at least looked like the #3 team in the Nation
They've done that to EVERYONE this year, ya mental midget, not just us. They hung a 22 spot on defending national champion UVA when they were #2 in the nation, they basically gave their rival Hopkins a swirlie in their own stadium.

They've done that to EVERYONE this year, ya mental midget, not just us. They hung a 22 spot on defending national champion UVA when they were #2 in the nation, they basically gave their rival Hopkins a swirlie in their own stadium.

we could have played much better. If you cannot see that I can’t help ya.

Only two NJ athletes on Maryland roster — athletes from Delbarton and Westfield, both transfers from Villanova.

I am proud of this team. There is no quit. They represent the university well on and off the field. As others have said in this thread UMD is on another level. We needed to play mistake free lacrosse last night. D played very well O had their issues. It’s on tape now all they can do is grow as a team and make a run in the tourney. Upstream!!!

I thought the Maryland area was supposed to be a hotbed of lacrosse but according to the box score, only a few more than 2000 attended the game. RU draws more than that for a "big" game.

Who is hosting the Final Four? Hopefully not UMd.

I thought the Maryland area was supposed to be a hotbed of lacrosse but according to the box score, only a few more than 2000 attended the game. RU draws more than that for a "big" game.

It was played in a deluge. Don’t forget

Reactions: Golfer2019
It was a awful night for weather. Kind of like when our fans don’t show because it’s “too cold”....I heard that one a lot this year

Trust me, last night was one of the worst weather games I’ve sat through
I didn't realize that. I'm in Tucson. No deluge here, though we could sure use one.

This isn’t the NFL. You don’t just trade for players.

The kid wanted to go to BU. Why? Because Weirman took his job.

Not all faceoffs are the same on different conferences. The B1G has the best collection in college. The PL is Sissleberger and that’s it. Dugenios stats would look at lot better in that league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy_Faulker
They team is disappointed. Not in losing but that we just didn’t collectively play our best. The silver lining is the D continues to get better every game.

The score doesn’t show it but that was an incredible effort.

When you are getting killed at the X you have to be clean in clearing and limited turnovers. We just weren’t at our best there.

Our D though. I’ve watched a lot of Maryland games. We were making them look very average at certain points. Their shooting though. It’s just really impressive.

If I’m going to be impartial, we need to clean up turnovers, clearing through what I will call the neutral zone/mid field, sloppy passes, have a better game plan at the X to muck up the F/O, and mentally knowing how much time is left on the shot clock. Gretzky has a saying that you will miss 100% of the shots that you don’t take. The play where we didn’t get a shot off after a T/O was a head scratcher.

Again, Maryland does that to EVERYONE, ya shitbird. They're a machine. Honestly, go back to the football board because you are talking through your ass and don't know a thing about this sport.

No need for swearing or personal attacks. Hopkins played much better vs them on Thursday than we did on Saturday.

Disappointing

As others already pointed out, the weather yesterday was pretty crappy which probably affected attendance... But just to answer the question, Fairfield University is hosting the Championships, with the competition being at UConn's home football stadium in East Hartford.

As others already pointed out, the weather yesterday was pretty crappy which probably affected attendance... But just to answer the question, Fairfield University is hosting the Championships, with the competition being at UConn's football stadium in East Hartford.
It's utterly dumb that the Final Four is at the Rent in middle of nowhere CT.

No need for swearing or personal attacks. Hopkins played much better vs them on Thursday than we did on Saturday.

Disappointing
Maryland beat Hopkins 24-6 the week before...and it could have been worse

We didn’t play our best, but IMO that had more to do with Maryland than Rutgers...they force you out of comfort zones and if you blink they score 3 in 90 seconds.

We did battle hard in the 3rd qtr after half. With about 4 min left in Q3 it was 10-5...and not bragging about that for moral victories...but that is about the time where the overall lack of possessions (see face off issues) and turnovers caught up with us

Not gonna linger on Maryland. Team won a very key game Thursday night vs OSU...it was a high pressure game. To a player they all said they felt tremendous pressure to seal down the NCAA spot on Thursday...team has moved on from last night

Focus is on ESPNU tonight at 9...it’s nice to know your in and not on the bubble...when’s the last time we had that luxury...not last year

Focus is on the next game...We will play better next week

If I’m going to be impartial, we need to clean up turnovers, clearing through what I will call the neutral zone/mid field, sloppy passes, have a better game plan at the X to muck up the F/O, and mentally knowing how much time is left on the shot clock. Gretzky has a saying that you will miss 100% of the shots that you don’t take. The play where we didn’t get a shot off after a T/O was a head scratcher.
We are typically an exceptional clearing team. They were the first team I’ve seen be Uber aggressive with us on the ride. Nothing is easy with them.

If you aren’t clearing through the midfield where are you clearing from lol?

Last edited:
BU RU would be a fun game. They’d try and run with us.

Cornell would be a good match up imo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT